Fire Wilcox now

18,408 Views | 189 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by PtownBear1
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you saw that play by Utah, you know why
Wang24
I didn't need to see today's game to say what is on this thread…. He is a nice guy, but football doesn't need nice guys. They need coaches to develop players, enhance their talents and win games…… the man gets paid millions and the AD is okay with that.. that alone is an issue….
Econ141
No rich alums that care for Cal football means we ride him into his retirement. At this point he's probably just laughing when those direct deposits go into his bank account. And then he and Knowlton argue over who buys the next round after another Cal loss.
Negabear3000
Hasn't won a game outside the Bay Area this decade...where else is he going to go?!
westcoast101
I've been out on Wilcox wayyyyy before today. Money/buyout has to be only reason he's still employed.
PtownBear1
Since our football season is routinely over by the end of October for all practical purposes, we should just see if Madsen can do double duty as the football HC.
TedfordTheGreat
just a complete **** show

the amount of holding, missed tackles, lack of pressure from DL.

this team is poorly coached. utah otoh is well coached. they dont hv the talent they usually do but they dont commit penalties and they can plug and play guys, including that cb.

wilcox is in too deep. so far over his head. and frankly if u ask him he'd probably tell u he has no idea why its not working.
golden sloth
Econ141 said:

No rich alums that care for Cal football means we ride him into his retirement. At this point he's probably just laughing when those direct deposits go into his bank account. And then he and Knowlton argue over who buys the next round after another Cal loss.

Unfortunately my power ball numbers didnt hit or else I would have.
GoOskie
I think Wilcox should hire more of his friends to the staff. Might make a difference.
golden sloth
GoOskie said:

I think Wilcox should hire more of his friends to the staff. Might make a difference.

I think he needs to axe the running backs coach to add an additional defensive coach.
cal93
Don't get me wrong, but do we really want Knowlton controlling this process….spending the money and even worse hiring the new coach or using his crony search firm to hire a re-tread coach?
Strykur
TedfordTheGreat said:

this team is poorly coached. utah otoh is well coached. they dont hv the talent they usually do but they dont commit penalties and they can plug and play guys, including that cb.

wilcox is in too deep. so far over his head. and frankly if u ask him he'd probably tell u he has no idea why its not working.
Utah ran wildcat all game, nothing sexy about it, and we did not adjust whatsoever, Wilcox on the sidelines looks lost like Tedford during the 2012 season
Strykur
cal93 said:

Don't get me wrong, but do we really want Knowlton controlling this process….spending the money and even worse hiring the new coach or using his crony search firm to hire a re-tread coach?
Whatever the process was, we did get an awesome hire with Mark Madsen so we could pull off something similar for football (doubtful I know), Knowlton is a dumb ******* but may be wary of retread hires after the Mark Fox debacle, the flipside is he also gave blank checks to Wilcox.
CarmelBear
Unless Cal - as in the administration and a new AD - is prepared to do what is necessary to allow a new HC to recruit and build a program, firing Justin at this point is meaningless. He is clearly not a good HV at this level of competition, but the problem is bigger than Wilcox.
Strykur
CarmelBear said:

Unless Cal - as in the administration and a new AD - is prepared to do what is necessary to allow a new HC to recruit and build a program, firing Justin at this point is meaningless. He is clearly not a good HV at this level of competition, but the problem is bigger than Wilcox.
SoFlaBear
Strykur said:

cal93 said:

Whatever the process was, we did get an awesome hire with Mark Madsen so we could pull off something similar for football (doubtful I know), Knowlton is a dumb ******* but may be wary of retread hires after the Mark Fox debacle, the flipside is he also gave blank checks to Wilcox.
That's not just Knowlton, though. Cal has an inferiority complex about athletics, and there has been more than one occasion when we've overpaid on an extension only to find out the coach was mediocre. We think we've identified someone who can win "the right way" (i.e. no scandals) and we get scared when their agent says they might, maybe plan to move on. So we overpay and then find out the coach isn't all that.

Holmoe
Gilbertson
Ben Braun

Now we've done it again. The better move clearly would have been to let him go to Oregon. Instead, we'll have to home for a well-heeled alum or the Bear Insider Powerball winner.
CarmelBear
I'm a big Ron Rivera fan. But I wonder if he wouldn't be better AD for us.
Big Dog
SoFlaBear said:

Strykur said:

cal93 said:

That's not just Knowlton, though. Cal has an inferiority complex about athletics, and there has been more than one occasion when we've overpaid on an extension only to find out the coach was mediocre. We think we've identified someone who can win "the right way" (i.e. no scandals) and we get scared when their agent says they might, maybe plan to move on. So we overpay and then find out the coach isn't all that.

Holmoe
Gilbertson
Ben Braun

Now we've done it again. The better move clearly would have been to let him go to Oregon. Instead, we'll have to home for a well-heeled alum or the Bear Insider Powerball winner.
I would gladly take Braun's 'mediocrity' over Justin's......
GoCalBears
Yup...fire Wilcox and have Spav as interim HC. This give Spav the HC experience he been craving...if he does well, remove interim. Otherwise look for new HC going into ACC.

7 years of Wilcox and each passing year the team has not improved. Defense is a sh*t show. Cal should have hired the former Fresno St HC when we had a chance...uDub is a CFP contender on year 1 with a new/transfer QB!
calumnus
SoFlaBear said:

Strykur said:

cal93 said:

Holmoe
Gilbertson
Ben Braun

But Knowlton not only extended Wilcox, he extended Mark Fox even after he ran off the few good players we had and gave McKeever a $5 million contract even after swimmers and their parents reported her abusive and racist behavior. Then spent $2 million in an investigation of McKeever that only confirmed what he was told and we will probably have to pay her the $5 million anyway.

Then was MIA during the whole conference realignment saga of the last year and a half, with his only reported action dragging Stanford to a meeting with the MWC near his home in Colorado Springs immediately after the conference collapsed.

Of course it was Christ's unprecedented 8 year extension of Knowlton until 2029, 5 years after she plans to depart that was the most fiscally irresponsible.
socaliganbear
GoCalBears said:

Yup...fire Wilcox and have Spav as interim HC. This give Spav the HC experience he been craving...if he does well, remove interim. Otherwise look for new HC going into ACC.

7 years of Wilcox and each passing year the team has not improved. Defense is a sh*t show. Cal should have hired the former Fresno St HC when we had a chance...uDub is a CFP contender on year 1 with a new/transfer QB!

Spav had his HC experience already. It was terrible.
SoFlaBear
CarmelBear said:

I've thought about that as well. Except for the fact that Dave Maggard was beloved, I think that might have been a better idea with Joe Kapp. I'd still like him to be Coach, however.

calumnus
socaliganbear said:

GoCalBears said:

Spav had his HC experience already. It was terrible.

Peter Principle, now dropped back down. However, in my mind he still needs to prove himself as an OC since he has only worked under offense-minded HCs before and his offense was horrible when he was a head coach (if he was a great OC, the question should only be on defense).
calumnus
SoFlaBear said:

CarmelBear said:

I've thought about that as well. Except for the fact that Dave Maggard was beloved, I think that might have been a better idea with Joe Kapp. I'd still like him to be Coach, however.

If going with Cal alums for AD: Cynthia Marshall, Amy Trask, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Sean Marks, Scott Fujita, Larry Baer, Paraag Marathe…

If a non-alum experienced P5 AD: WSU's Pat Chun
Econ141
calumnus said:

SoFlaBear said:

Strykur said:

cal93 said:

Holmoe
Gilbertson
Ben Braun

But Knowlton not only extended Wilcox, he extended Mark Fox even after he ran off the few good players we had and gave McKeever a $5 million contract even after swimmers and their parents reported her abusive and racist behavior. Then spent $2 million in an investigation of McKeever that only confirmed what he was told and we will probably have to pay her the $5 million anyway.

Then was MIA during the whole conference realignment saga of the last year and a half, with his only reported action dragging Stanford to a meeting with the MWC near his home in Colorado Springs immediately after the conference collapsed.

Of course it was Christ's unprecedented 8 year extension of Knowlton until 2029, 5 years after she plans to depart that was the most fiscally irresponsible.

My word this is depressing to read. No way Cal football can saved. Ridiculous.
Shoreline
Seeing what Cal alum Troy Taylor do last night against Colorado, then seeing Wilcox today is brutal. We're going to regret letting our rival get Taylor instead of replacing Wilcox with him.
calumnus
Shoreline said:

Seeing what Cal alum Troy Taylor do last night against Colorado, then seeing Wilcox today is brutal. We're going to regret letting our rival get Taylor instead of replacing Wilcox with him.

It was the simple, affordable move after year 5. Waiting to see how Wilcox did in year 6 would have been reasonable. We still could have gotten Taylor last year. Extending Wilcox to year 11 was insanely stupid.
golden sloth
Shoreline said:

I dont know, I watched the entirety of that game and the first half of that game was atrocious. I want a coach that can put together a complete game.
gobears15
Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

Sure is. Getting a new coach isn't enough. We need a new AD at the very least, but that may not even be enough.

The AD should be selected by and report to an independent board compromised of people who actually give a damn about Cal athletics, and understand the crazy world of modern college sports.

It's blindingly obvious at this point that neither Chancellor Christ nor the clueless UC Regents know what they're doing.
kal kommie
CarmelBear said:

Why? He's totally unproven in that kind of role, but proven as a football HC

And would he even want to be an AD?
golden sloth
gobears15 said:

Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

Sure is. Getting a new coach isn't enough. We need a new AD at the very least, but that may not even be enough.

The AD should be selected by and report to an independent board compromised of people who actually give a damn about Cal athletics, and understand the crazy world of modern college sports.

It's blindingly obvious at this point that neither Chancellor Christ nor the clueless UC Regents know what they're doing.

Yes, we need a new AD, yes we need a new coach, we also need some damn fans that care. I'm tired of people giving the fans a pass just because the team is bad. My expectation is that fans watch and support the team always. I try to do that and that is my expectation of others. If the masses are grumbling, things will happen, but we have no masses to grumble.
bluehenbear
We need an AD that knows what's needed for successful football and how to get it. That's exactly what UW did… it was more than just DeBoer.
kal kommie
GoCalBears said:

What qualifies as "does well?" Win more than one game?

Hire Rivera or if he's not available get the best we can get on the open market. Don't promote from within this failure of a coaching staff
cal93
Strykur said:

cal93 said:

Don't read too much into the probably luck of hiring Madsen. There were at least two other candidates that pulled their name out of the running after meeting with Knowlton and the thought from at least of them was how surprisingly unprepared Knowlton was to conduct an interview.
PaulCali
bluehenbear said:

We need an AD that knows what's needed for successful football and how to get it. That's exactly what UW did… it was more than just DeBoer.
If I had the new chancellor's ear (God forbid), because of the financial constraints, I would advise hiring a dynamite new AD FIRST, letting the new AD initially focus on reorganizing and reenergizing the athletic department and shepherding us into the ACC. I would advise riding with Wilcox as HC for a while longer until his buyout becomes more manageable. The buyout for Knowlton would be much less and and he could be replaced immediately. I'm assuming, of course, that we get a new chancellor who really cares about Cal athletics.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.