Remembering lines from movies isolation points

25,093 Views | 325 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by pasadenaorbust
pasadenaorbust
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"I'm just...just a failure."

"Oh...well I was a failure yesterday, now look at me today."

"You mean you even looked worse yesterday?"

JSC 76
HoopDreams said:

HearstMining said:

Another great line (or interchange) from Casablanca.

Captain Renault: What in heavens name brought you to Casablanca?
Rick: My health; I came to Casablanca for the waters.
Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.
Rick: I was misinformed.

Casablanca is so classic. I recommend seeing it at the Stanford Theater, with the popcorn in the cone shaped cup
This seems like the perfect place to tell my Casablanca story.

First time I ever saw it was at Barrington Hall, 1972. For some reason the hall managers acquired it on film, plus projector, and showed it on a sheet in the dining hall. The place was packed.

At this point in history there was no TCM, no video on demand, not even Blockbuster Video. So no one had seen it before.

And the audience of a hundred or so 19-20 year old jaded sophisticates and radicals and scholars was *entranced*. At the climax, when Renault says "Major Strasser has been shot .... "

You could hear a pin drop.

And when he adds "....round up the usual suspects." the place erupted into cheers.
pasadenaorbust
JSC 76 said:

HoopDreams said:

HearstMining said:

Casablanca is so classic. I recommend seeing it at the Stanford Theater, with the popcorn in the cone shaped cup

First time I ever saw it was at Barrington Hall, 1972. For some reason the hall managers acquired it on film, plus projector, and showed it on a sheet in the dining hall. The place was packed.

At this point in history there was no TCM, no video on demand, not even Blockbuster Video. So no one had seen it before.

And the audience of a hundred or so 19-20 year old jaded sophisticates and radicals and scholars was *entranced*. At the climax, when Renault says "Major Strasser has been shot .... "

And when he adds "....round up the usual suspects." the place erupted into cheers.
That is a great story...

pasadenaorbust
"Rubbish! You have no power here. Be gone! Before somebody drops a house on you, too!"

pasadenaorbust
"Next time you'll mind your Uncle Ethan. Thank you kindly."

It is said that George Lucas was inspired by this scene where they find the burning homestead to re-create it in Star Wars where Luke finds the burning Lars homestead.
NVBear78
JSC 76 said:

HoopDreams said:

HearstMining said:

Great story and I am a Barrington Hall Alum as well-spent two quarters there in 1977. Was Pink Cloud crashing in the TV room in your days?

p.s. and Casablanca of course is one of the all time greats!
bearister
When I was at Cal they played Deep Throat at Dwinnelle Hall. I thought that was weird even then.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Bear8
"I owe you an apology, colonel. I always thought that you were a cold, unimaginative, tight-lipped officer. But you're really quite emotional, aren't you?"

Lee Marvin to Robert Ryan
The Dirty Dozen
bearister

JSC 76
NVBear78 said:

Great story and I am a Barrington Hall Alum as well-spent two quarters there in 1977. Was Pink Cloud crashing in the TV room in your days?

p.s. and Casablanca of course is one of the all time greats!

Yes he was!
pasadenaorbust
pasadenaorbust
"We belong dead."

If I could include screams in a quote, I would give it to Elsa Lanchester. That has to be one of the most blood curdling screams in the history of motion pictures. A remarkable acting performance, too, when the bride is attempting to speak.
HearstMining
pasadenaorbust said:

JSC 76 said:

HoopDreams said:

HearstMining said:

That is a great story...

My first viewing of Casablanca was at almost the same time, but in a dorm room at a little college in San Diego, with 6-8 guys with quart bottles of Schlitz Malt Liquor (yeccchhh!) absolutely riveted to the TV screen.

These guys were old film buffs but irreverent nonetheless.. Another time we watched The Ten Commandments. When the old pharaoh is near death, Nefertari (Anne Baxter, I had to look it up) says, "You won't die, Old Crocodile" and we roared with laughter. For weeks afterwards, "Old Crocodile" was part of our vocab as in, "Hey John, you old crocodile, do you want to play 3-on-3 in the gym tonight?"
bearister
"... with 6-8 guys with quart bottles of Schlitz Malt Liquor.."

...and I once went on a group ice skating date with Mills girls and I was fortified with a six pack of Mickey's. You know you're high when your mouth is dry.

Oski87
pasadenaorbust said:

JSC 76 said:

HoopDreams said:

HearstMining said:

That is a great story...

Freshman year in high school history class, the teacher was such a Casablanca fan....you could just write "Casablanca is the best movie ever" for whatever question and it was automatically assumed to be correct.
Larno
pasadenaorbust said:

"Didn't I meet you on a summer cruise?"

"Mmmmm...I've never been on a summer cruise."

"Ahhhh...quel dommage."

I saw a special on The Producers interviewing some of the actors years later. The actor playing Carmen (or is it Karman) Ghia said that in the cramped elevator scene Zero Mostel had grabbed his, ah, private parts and was squeezing them. No wonder he looked particularly uncomfortable.
pasadenaorbust
Oski87 said:

pasadenaorbust said:

JSC 76 said:

HoopDreams said:

HearstMining said:

That is a great story...

Freshman year in high school history class, the teacher was such a Casablanca fan....you could just write "Casablanca is the best movie ever" for whatever question and it was automatically assumed to be correct.
Claude Rains gives Humphrey Bogart, or I should say Louie gives Rick two looks there that are subtly different, but brilliantly done by him. The first look says "your life is basically in my hands at this moment"...and the second is saying "you owe me big time for this."
Larno
The story goes that originally there was no pause in that sentence: ".........has been shot, round up the usual suspects." Think about it; if there is no pause, it changes the whole impact of that scene. Truly a great movie with so many quotes. My family uses "round up the usual suspects" and "shocked, shocked" all the time.
pasadenaorbust
"I'm not going to kill you. I want you to do me a favor. I want you to tell all your friends about me."

"What are you?!"

"I'm Batman."

HoopDreams
not sure if it was in this thread or another thread, but one of my top 10 fav movies is Australian film Breaker Morant. There are lots of great quotes in this true story, but since it's not as famous as the other films discussed here I won't repeat them. Instead I recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to watch it.

And for those who HAVE seen it, I watched the documentary on Amazon Prime, called Breaker Morant: The Retrial. Very interesting if you want to know more about the man.

pasadenaorbust
"Do you think you're hurt....real bad?"

"Is he kiddin'?"

That guys dead. You better believe it."
pasadenaorbust
"because I'm capable of being just as sorry as you are!"

bearister

"Indians."
pasadenaorbust
"What's can't? There ain't no can'ts! There's no can'ts! Now he will beat you uglier than you are now."

SFCityBear
  • Billy: "How often do you guys go on a bender like this?"
  • Babo: "Bender? This isn't a bender. This is night-time!"

- Air America
pasadenaorbust
"I'm the same man with or without this."

"I've got to stay."
pasadenaorbust
"C'mon Dover! Move your bloomin' arse!"

pasadenaorbust
pasadenaorbust

pasadenaorbust
"Value? I want you to pack it carefully, very carefully."

"We are poor little lambs who have lost our way..."

NVBear78
'"We're the pro's from Dover"

MASH
pasadenaorbust
"I said you Valance, you pick it up."

pasadenaorbust

"Joey, there's no living with, with a killing. There's no going back from it. Right or wrong it's a brand, a brand sticks. There's no going back."

smh
free and worth every Penny
> Wonderflonium - Do Not Bounce

runtime 42mins, split into 3 eps, or 6 min short attention span sample join 8 in progress..

muting 301 handles, turnaround is fair play
AunBear89
Well - I left my Jag in Kansas City.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.