cal's monster mad dog

201,561 Views | 1003 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Econ141
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2023 attendance:

st thomas: 3066
pacific: 3195 (including shocky in the haas)
cal state bakersfield: 2628

sluggo, bluesaxe & basketball bear/bear greg: wut's ur enlightened premium insider take on the attendance thus far this season at haas?

between markeisha's failed marketing decision to not include all students with FREE tixs to all games (the $125 student pass is far beyond the financial means of those from lower socioeconomic backgrounds) and zero successful outreach to those without berkeley affiliations (bay area residents that luv basketball that are priced out of golden state warriors gamedays at chase) & the bearinsider.com's non inclusive strategy with respects to building energy around the basketball program via recruiting (do u really think that any high school prospects read this board?) and unwillingness to call out knowlton (read the monster comments re: his direct conversation with lisa & doug goldman re: the basketball practice facility not moving forward anytime soon) attendance is actually worser than the wyking & fox eras

creating energy around a program & cultivating a larger haas gameday fan base is far more complicated than just winning more basketball games, got it?
https://bearinsider.com/forums/8/topics/11616/242

HoopDreams
Shocky1 said:

left to right, devin "cool as **** shades" askew, jaylon "nba body w/7 assists" tyson, jalen "range to midcourt" cone, fardaws "luxury watches r tacky as ****" & jalen "let it fly" celestine

wow, this wuz a significant step forward in ball movement, unselfishly sharing the ball with one another passing up good shots for great shots (devin wuz particularly noticeable in this regards) which resulted in 15 moneyballs from behind the line...this bears team is exciting to watch & could potentially lead the pac 12 in 3 point shooting in 2023
The revamped Bears pounded Cal State Bakersfield in The Inaugural Cuonzo Martin revenge game.

Let's make it an annual event!

With break out game from Tyson, Cone and the dude in the shades

Shocky1
hoop dreams amigo, agreed cone lit it up offensively but he wuz 100% alpo on defense, the roadrunners kaleb higgins wuz on track for 50+ points until coach madsen switched the defensive assignment from jalen to devin

very interested to see how critically inept defensive liabilities daws & jalen come out playing this thursday nite vs montana state

defense wins championships#
Shocky1

cal's lefty point guard of the future#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including georgia just ask jaylen brown)
Shocky1
former utah valley superstar aziz bandaogo still not eligible for cincinnati, ncca denied his appeal

my golf buddy larry (owner of the reds) not happy#
bluehenbear
Shorts and crocs on Bart is pretty brave
Shocky1
^ coach reading cal's monster class
bearister
He was sending me an email there requesting that I text Askew plays and coaching tips to his tinted Google Glass during the Montana game tonight.

I will be texting Devin this during the Bears' 2nd offensive possession:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

left to right, devin "cool as **** shades" askew, jaylon "nba body w/7 assists" tyson, jalen "range to midcourt" cone, fardaws "luxury watches r tacky as ****" & jalen "let it fly" celestine

wow, this wuz a significant step forward in ball movement, unselfishly sharing the ball with one another passing up good shots for great shots (devin wuz particularly noticeable in this regards) which resulted in 15 moneyballs from behind the line...this bears team is exciting to watch & could potentially lead the pac 12 in 3 point shooting in 2023

defensively, that's a whole different story, no es bueno...daws (fouled out) & jalen (got more burned by kaleb higgins more than a george foreman grill in the 1st half, no steals on the nite) are realistically the worst defenders in the pac 12 at this time...it's pretty obvious that they did not focus on playing high intensity/embracing fundamentally sound d at their last schools, hopefully mad dog will be able to get thru to them in developing them defensively...right now there's zero chance they gonna get paid at the next level with their ineffective candy azz soft d that is a ****show of reaching with their hands, not moving their feet & low basketball iq anticipation of wut's gonna happen next

yeah daws & jalen play d like 16 year old aau "stars" in the summer circuit...and let's be real here, as grad cert students they got a fraction of the academic work of their teammates earning undergraduate berkeley degrees, they got ZERO excuses

championship basketball starts on the defensive end of the court#
deja vu all over again but this time against a better basketball team than pacific which resulted in the loss to montana state

real talk: daws (brandon walker lit him up for 26 points) & jalen (no steals again) are ineffective defenders at this point in their careers, mixing up more zone d schemes might be necessary

jaylon is an alpha predator with 27 points but 8 turnovers no es bueno

attendance: 2638 (markeisha crushing it)#
sonofabear51
2638?! Really!!

Why not just open the doors of Haas and let anyone and everyone in? Any butts in the seats is better than this.

AZ Bear's post on another thread hits the nail on the head. If the Athletic Department "management" think this is a marketing success story, I'd like some of what they are smoking or drinking.

How about students first for a change? Way overdue.
HoopDreams
If I'm a coach playing Cal I will be sure to have a five out lineup
Shocky1
hoops, this is why the keonte kennedy injury is so damaging beyond the daws & jalen ineffectual defense, other bears particularly newell wuz repeatedly burned on back door cuts with no off ball defensive help by his low reaction time teammates...and the bears are arguably the worst team in the nation in defending the 3 point line

when watching cone last november against asu in tempe he played non enthusiastic d as the jacks got blown out...transparently discussed this with jalen at several football games this fall, that he gotta lotta strawberry on that jam & he explained that bobby hurley doubled & tripled team him which depleted his energy level on d...he promised he would play a much higher level of d in that he can no longer be targeted by opposing coaches on the offensive end

coach madsen got rings because of his knock u on ur azz mentality at san ramon valley hs, stanford & the los angeles lakers, very optimistic that he's gonna coach up daws & jalen if they are 100% receptive to playing with intensity on both ends of the court...because the truth is that right now there's no league on planet earth that's gonna pay them next season, they are damaged goods

a fork in the road (in berkeley)#
SBGold
sonofabear51 said:

2638?! Really!!

Why not just open the doors of Haas and let anyone and everyone in? Any butts in the seats is better than this.

AZ Bear's post on another thread hits the nail on the head. If the Athletic Department "management" think this is a marketing success story, I'd like some of what they are smoking or drinking.

How about students first for a change? Way overdue.
I was in Section 16 last night, comfy in my chairback so I didn't make much noise (too comfy).

I looked at sections 24 through 28 across and diagonal. After the game had started, I counted 15 people in those sections total.
Shocky1
fun compatibility/personality quiz brought to u by cal's monster class & ur alma mater:

*****do u smile a lot or do u got a resting ***** face?
https://instagr.am/p/B0t0aGUFWqU
*****do u think benji aka scrappy doo is more huggable or buggable?...do u like/luv doggys more than most human beings?...promiscuity (****s) weeding out question: have u kissed more dudes than doggys in ur life?

*****do u got good eyelashes?...r u over 5'9"?

*****do u got a yoga/meditation practice?...is ur favorite pose doggy style? (shut up, shocky)

*****if u got a yoga/meditation practice, r u willing to post up at anytime/anywhere?...not wearing any underwear is never a legit excuse

*****do u basically live each day in anticipation of someday stormin' the field/court/yoga studio?

*****r u wanted in 2 states, can't move wrong?...do you stand on 10 paws?

*****do think cal can win national championships?...r u kinda crazy as ****?

*****do u think the sofa king should take so many naps?
https://instagr.am/p/CgNJnEuvtpf
*****do u hate the *****es & hoes that hate u the most?
https://instagr.am/p/BG2c9tghHcW
*****do u eat kinda clean & drink 32 oz green drinks?...do the staff at the local mickey d know u by name?

*****do u think golf carts r for losers & r u adaptive to time zones all around planet earth in shocky's playing the world top 100 golf courses?
https://instagr.am/p/CuxKIOEIazx

shocky's alma mater (is the #1 ranked public university in the world)#
Shocky1

no askew or celestine tonite (next man up)#
Shocky1

jaylon tyson is a monster#
Shocky1

tulane green waves 84
california golden bears 81

fardaws repeatedly attacked & beaten off the dribble to the bucket, jalen backing off at the last moment on multiple potential charging opportunities, grant jogging back on d (last guy back) but most critically almost zero other than gus off ball defensive help when teammates are burned

d wins basketball games#
Shocky1

do u wanna see the best basketball action sequence since cal's monster class?...watch from the 1 minute 4 second mark, ok?...michelle violently blocks a shot in the paint without getting into the body of the opponent for a foul (teams cannot enter the lair of these bears for uncontested buckets around the rim) keeping the ball in play then delivers a fundamentally textbook non moving knockout screen at midcourt (the sec auburn tiger crumples like a rumpleskein) followed by an unselfish mckayala (dribbling with her eyes on the action with 100% court vision) pass forgoing a good shot for wide open great look & a 3 point moneyball thru the deep south airspace by marta followed by an eruption from the team 1st bench jockeys

this is how basketball is played at the highest level, it's kinda like beautiful art or something

defense wins championships (michelle ugonne onyiah is shocky's favorite men's & women's basketball player at his alma mater)#

Shocky1

defense wins basketball games#
Shocky1

cal's monster class (plays nba level d & isn't conserving energy for getting buckets)#
Shocky1
^ daws & jalen, u feel me?
Shocky1

gutty effort but the continued lack of off ball defensive help & failure to identify/close out on 3 pointers lost this game...make no mistake about it if all the bears played d with the disciplined energy, attitude & fundamentals of keonte kennedy this would've been an epic bears win

lockdown d wins basketball games (not just scoring buckets)#
RedlessWardrobe
Absolutely the bottom line. And an extension of lockdown d is to minimize allowed offensive rebounds to your opponent. An absolute killer today.
Shocky1
cal basketball's defense ranks #249 in the nation per ken pom metrics

offensive highlight reel fireworks don't win basketball games

cal's not so monster class defense#
Shocky1
monster assessment of DEFENSIVE production ranking:

keonte kennedy: my favorite bear plays d with a magical spring in his step & a smile on his face while exhorting his teammates via clapping/shouting to raise their defensive games...nba level d iq facilitates his understanding passing lanes & moving thru (not around) screens while attacking the defensive boards with 100% energy..keonte is just FUN to watch

jaylon tyson: nba body but not a well rounded nba game at this time tyson competes for loose balls & is a physical presence on d...his poor passing decisions leading to turnovers & often dubious shot selection es no bueno but his defensive intensity is there due to his competitive nature

gus larson: yeah the walk on is one of the few bears that actually provides off ball defensive help when teammates are beaten off the dribble & plays with verticality in tryna prevent uncontested lay ups...this team is not gonna win more games until the d improves which means larson with his length has earned more minutes on the floor

vladmir pavlovich: a lockdown pesky d presence needs to improve his shooting mechanics to earn more minutes

rodney brown: plays d with enthusiasm with is surprising for a true freshman but terrible with off ball defensive help...could be an alan crabbe presence on d with his length

jalen celestine & devin askew: ok not great on d but got major upside when they become 100% healthy

monty bowser: lou richie's dragon got bounce but not much help on off ball defensive help

nd okafor: still reaching with his hands & fouling, the principal of verticality is gonna be his friend when he figures out how to play dominant d in the paint

jalen cone: gets bullied by opposing pgs on d & for such a talented athlete closes out shockingly slow on 3 pointers

fardaws aimaq: lacks lateral footspeed, gets burned multiple times every game by his opponent attacking the rim for uncontested buckets

grant newell: not really interested in playing d, last guy back in transition down the court

shut up, shocky (mr spieker not amused cuz he got worser seats)#
BlakeJ22
I look at the current team kind of like I viewed the 1982-83 Cal team with Michael Chavez, etc.
Fun team to watch that improved defensively at the season wore on, went 14-14 with some good wins in front of a usually packed Harmon Gym. I believe the current team has better coaching and maybe a higher upside , I like some of what I see so far with a team that essentially playing with each other for the first time.
This program begs for a good marketing program to capture the East Bay's great basketball community.
Give tickets to all the up and coming AAU players, that would surely pay dividends. You could focus around the affordability, people can take the kids to see pretty decent ball without shelling out $ 1000.00 all in. Cal Basketball is here in Berkeley, and isn't going to move to another city. Occasionally I see a billboard on an AC Transit, but I don't think that's enough, in and of itself. The marketing has been non existent and that is the reason crowds are in the 3000 range. I really enjoyed the Santa Clara game but was surprised by the low attendance, hopefully those of you in the area can make it out to Haas, best thing you can do for the program right now.

Shocky1

cal's defense is kinda embarzzing#
HoopDreams

Shocky1

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article283226043.html
back in the day during the cal monster era of multiple mcdonalds all americans playing in front of sold out almost 11,000 frenzied fans on gamedays, the staff brought in chase comanche for an unofficial visit during the bears epic victory over the then #1 ranked wildcats on justin cobbs ice in his veins moneyball dagger to the heart

this wuz covered by the monster...but let me tell u know wut the monster didn't tell u about that visit, ok?

bigs coach gregg gottlieb tole me that chance (in front of his moms melissa mcgee who wuz a wbb all american at long beach state) asked if our men's basketball players had to go to classes & did anybody take all the tests for them?

coach montgomery ended that recruitment almost on the spot...gregg & i laughed about chance being a dumb azz & we wuz both in agreement that arizona or usc would be a better fit given his academic profile

and now comanche is gonna spend the rest of his life rotting in jail hopefully getting azz raped nightly or something

my daughter taylor met arizona all american rawle alkins once in old town, he's kinda obsessed with tay & send her messages all the time which she ignores...rawle tole her he never took a class during his multiple years in tuscon, there wuz 100% academic fraud to keep alkins eligible

https://instagr.am/p/BOTs5_CAt5s
bottom line, when cal fans wanna know why can't we be more like arizona or florida state, they got no ******* idea of the **** going on at those schools, got it?

yeah bear down in tuscon

the donut boy of tuscon (wuz a piece of ****)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (for those that wanna build generational wealth thru academic achievement and reading books & **** like that)
Shocky1

Happy Holidays Cal Berkeley Bears Fans!!!!!

Greeting from Colorado Springs where's it's a wintry wonderland!

Anyways a couple of exciting developments!

First of all, Cal Athletics is continuing to head towards an existential financial iceberg that threatens the future of all sport teams but the Good News is that I don't really understand any of these financial statement that my CFO Tom Lowry (handpicked from the Air Force) is sharing with me so wut me worry!

Trust me, we're not gonna cut any sport teams or rightsize any of our bureaucrat bloat, our plan is just to secretly borrow another at least $11,000,000 from the Central Campus and just hope Shocky doesn't do his public records informations requests again, so annoying.

Second of all, I'm proud to be part of arguably the GREATEST DIP in the history of college athletics, check out Coach Wilcox trying to avoid my swarmy handshake of congratulations after the UCLA victory!

Thirdly, a proud shout out to Markeisha on our basketball attendance records this season. The Girl's team reportedly actually had less than 200 actual spectators at their last game and Boy's team had 2516 at their last game at Haas, wow. Our savvy decision to not build the future season tix/donor base by refusing to offer FREE tickets to all students is really paying off BIG TIME!

Last of all, don't believe my critics, the much promised Cal Basketball Practice Facility will officially break ground in mid to late January, you have my promise on this!

Go Cal Berkeley Bears!!!

General James Arthur Knowlton
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

monster assessment of DEFENSIVE production ranking:

keonte kennedy: my favorite bear plays d with a magical spring in his step & a smile on his face while exhorting his teammates via clapping/shouting to raise their defensive games...nba level d iq facilitates his understanding passing lanes & moving thru (not around) screens while attacking the defensive boards with 100% energy..keonte is just FUN to watch

jaylon tyson: nba body but not a well rounded nba game at this time tyson competes for loose balls & is a physical presence on d...his poor passing decisions leading to turnovers & often dubious shot selection es no bueno but his defensive intensity is there due to his competitive nature

gus larson: yeah the walk on is one of the few bears that actually provides off ball defensive help when teammates are beaten off the dribble & plays with verticality in tryna prevent uncontested lay ups...this team is not gonna win more games until the d improves which means larson with his length has earned more minutes on the floor

vladmir pavlovich: a lockdown pesky d presence needs to improve his shooting mechanics to earn more minutes

rodney brown: plays d with enthusiasm with is surprising for a true freshman but terrible with off ball defensive help...could be an alan crabbe presence on d with his length

jalen celestine & devin askew: ok not great on d but got major upside when they become 100% healthy

monty bowser: lou richie's dragon got bounce but not much help on off ball defensive help

nd okafor: still reaching with his hands & fouling, the principal of verticality is gonna be his friend when he figures out how to play dominant d in the paint

jalen cone: gets bullied by opposing pgs on d & for such a talented athlete closes out shockingly slow on 3 pointers

fardaws aimaq: lacks lateral footspeed, gets burned multiple times every game by his opponent attacking the rim for uncontested buckets

grant newell: not really interested in playing d, last guy back in transition down the court

shut up, shocky (mr spieker not amused cuz he got worser seats)#
eastcoastcal
Shocky do you think the issue is at all X's and O's related or is it just unwillingness to play a full 40? The team seems so mentally unwilling to commit for a full game. Devastating loss.

How did Cuonzo get that era of cal basketball to play a full 40?
Gkhoury2325
Cuonzo had better basketball players, who can shoot, run the court and defend for the most part. He also had Brown, Rabb, Bird who were 5 star players. He also had a serious shooter In Mathews who killed zone defenses.
Shocky1
eastcoastcal said:

Shocky do you think the issue is at all X's and O's related or is it just unwillingness to play a full 40? The team seems so mentally unwilling to commit for a full game. Devastating loss.

How did Cuonzo get that era of cal basketball to play a full 40?
coastie, coach martin tole me his deal with our players (several of them mcdonalds all america during the cal's monster class era) wuz that is you played relentless nba level physical defense then he would let you improvise on offensive like they do in the nba without a lot of structure...and yeah that resulted in a lotta ugly azz offensive performances but the reality is that defense wins college basketball games & if ur a prospect that's wut gets your name called at the nba draft

wuz sitting in the 1st row behind the bears bench at santa barbara during the coach montgomery era when true freshman jabari bird got beat multiple times...monty pulled him out of the game & sat the bird on the bench...from a foot away i heard mike quietly tell jabari that until he learned how to play defense he could not play him anymore in close games...monty then patted jb on the knees & the bird put a towel over his head & i could hear him crying

and yeah the bird learned how to play elite defense & got his name called at the nba draft by the boston celtics

so no don't think this a x's and o's problem, guys who don't wanna play 40 minutes of hair on fire non stop motor d need to be benched...and that includes the last 3 names on the above list

and coach madsen green light license to jalen cone to jacking up off balance 3 pointers at low basketball iq early in the shot clock needs to be revoked
Shocky1
Gkhoury2325 said:

Cuonzo had better basketball players, who can shoot, run the court and defend for the most part. He also had Brown, Rabb, Bird who were 5 star players. He also had a serious shooter In Mathews who killed zone defenses.
gk, thoose guys played section 8 **** you up defense, the current guys play monterra middle school recess defense

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.