Women's Swim Recruits

313,125 Views | 725 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
BearDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do think that Teri will have a tough time filling Abbey's slot. There are no sleepers left among American high schoolers and any internationals who could help the Bears are probably more focused on the 2016 Olympics. Any addition may come via transfer.

Canada's trials are in early April 2016, so wouldn't be a huge surprise if Noemie blueshirts next season. Also wouldn'e shocking if Marina took next year off. She's much better in LCMs than SCYs and this may be her last shot at the Olympics. Farida stays because there are way better opportunities at Cal than in Egypt.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842469273 said:

Do think that Teri will have a tough time filling Abbey's slot. There are no sleepers left among American high schoolers and any internationals who could help the Bears are probably more focused on the 2016 Olympics. Any addition may come via transfer.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Benefit of hindsight and all that, but could have been a real life-saver in a situation like this if Teri had actively pursued Siobhan Haughey, imho.

In practical terms though, don't think that even Abbey's staunchest supporter would have foreseen Ms. Weitzeil's meteoric improvements to shatter an American record as soon as a few months ago, thus setting her on the deferment path to prepare for Rio.

Guess we didn't have the scholly budget to have recruited 3 sprint free studs in one fell swoop either (Abbey, Amy & Siobhan), especially if one of them was a $$ international. Now if only they had the foresight to include a long course 50m pool in the new swim facilities for hopeful :bear: Olympians to train in... :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Microbear85
I don't remember what happened last Olympic cycle . . . Is it a common thing for the big stars to take the year off from college (scy) to prepare for the Olympics? Is it then the case that lesser teams have ended up winning the NCAA title due to having fewer holes to fill?
BearDevil
Nathan Adrian left Cal in 2008 to train for the Olympics. Josh Prenot was home schooled and technically graduated in 2011, but trained in 2012 before entering Cal. Georgia's Allison Schmitt took 2012 off. Bears won both titles in 2012.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
------

------

A look at the girls [U]17 & U[/U] at time of swim who have swum faster than the 16th place at NCAA's. Event by event 3.8 avg:

The girls [U]17 & U[/U] at time of swim who are within 2% of 16th place at NCAA's. Event by event each event avg 14 per:

------

[SIZE=3]USA Swimming Stats[/SIZE]

The top 30 girls [U]16 years old[/U] who could have had the biggest impact @ women's NCAA. 8 could have scored this year:

The top 17 girls [U]15 years old[/U] who could have had the biggest impact @ women's NCAA. 3 could have scored this year:

The top 6 girls [U]14 years old[/U] who could have had the biggest impact @ women's NCAA. 2 could have scored this year:

------
PalyBear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842469289 said:

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman].
Now if only they had the foresight to include a long course 50m pool in the new swim facilities for hopeful :bear: Olympians to train in... :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Isn't the new pool 50M? I thought they were trying to get it build in time to allow Calympians to train in 50M for Rio. BTW any info on the new pool? Weren't they supposed to break ground April/May at least for the single pool concept.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
PalyBear;842470397 said:

Isn't the new pool 50M? I thought they were trying to get it build in time to allow Calympians to train in 50M for Rio. BTW any info on the new pool? Weren't they supposed to break ground April/May at least for the single pool concept.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Ooops, don't know what I was on when I had first penned that remark lol - maybe I was just confusing this with the fact that this pool would be used more for training than for competition :p

You're right of course:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="#696969"]"The centerpiece of the new pool would be a 52-meter by 25-yard pool, complete with a moving bulkhead and the campus' first 10-meter Olympic-style diving tower."[/COLOR]

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209419882
BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842470318 said:

Kind of amazed at how efficiently Teri has used her roster this season. 21 of 23 swimmers scored at Pac-12s. Baring any scratches, relay subs, or DQs, 15 of 16 swimmers will have scored after tonight (Bing, Msrina, and Noemie on relays). KV hasn't scored yet, but she did swim a preliml leg on the 200 free relay. If the meet's decided (either way) by the 400 relay, think Teri lets her swim in finals to make All-American. Diving's an issue, but Bears have won 3 NCAA titles already with minimal diving points and less than 17 scoring swimmers.

Through last night, 3 high school seniors projected as freshmen individual event scorers. Scaling that up means around 9 or 10 recruits a year project as freshmen scorers. Bears have 9 swimmers on the current team who were freshmen scorers.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842470863 said:

200 back bodes well for next season: no LSJU scorers, 1 Dawg scorer. Bears can go with Pelton and Baker.

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842470968 said:

Amy's 1:53.28 would have got her into the B finals of this event today (2015 NCAAs), in the 13th seeded slot. She would currently be Cal's 2nd fastest 200 backstroker next season, behind Liz but ahead of Kelly's 1:54.15 from 2015 Pac-12s & Kathleen's 1:54.30 from 2013.

Bilquist's 48.36 PB would also have earned a B finals qualification in the [U]100 Free[/U] this morning, ranked 14th. She does have Farida (47.79), Kathleen (48.20) & Katie (48.32) ahead of her in this event - well Abbey too (46.29) but not until 2017.

So may come down to which of these two Day 3 events she'll be most valuable to Bears in terms of scoring against the other powerhouse teams. That is assuming Amy's schedule has already been narrowed down to the [U]50 Free[/U] on Day 1, and the [U]100 Back[/U] on Day 2, since the 200 Back-100 Free double will be too tough after 2 days of exhaustive qualifying & racing.

tedbear;842470971 said:

I guarantee you that Kathleen can go faster than 1:54.30 right now.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]And I wouldn't for a million dollars go against that bet... (even if I had that kinda dough to throw around haha)
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
tedbear
Katie Drabot and Megan Byrnes had a nice weekend too.:bravo

http://swimswam.com/2015-ncsa-junior-nationals-day-5-finals-real-time-recap/
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
---------

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]30 March, 2015[/COLOR]
Got my acceptance letter to Cal
[SIZE=4][COLOR="#FFD700"]��[/COLOR][COLOR="#A52A2A"]��[/COLOR][COLOR="#0066cc"]��[/COLOR][/SIZE] can't wait to be a Golden Bear!

---------

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]30 March, 2015[/COLOR]
Officially accepted into Cal and I can't wait to be a Golden Bear [SIZE=4]������[/SIZE] but can Lucas come?

---------
BearDevil
Sounds like Georgia's Brittany MacLean isn't going to redshirt next season. Probably helpful to the Bears. Georgia loses too many points to beat the Bears next season, but MacLean can help limit LSJU's distance points, assuming no Ledecky. LSJU's Imcoming frosh Leah Stevens isn't going to outscore Cierra, MacLean, or UVa's Leah Smith. Bears may not need a late distance recruit or transfer.

MacLean is injured, so she's skipping worlds for Pan Ams. Was already a 2012 Olympian and at 21, she's probably looking at her last Olympics. Redshirt may make more sense, but that wouldn't be as favorably to another Bear title.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]
Good points on Brittany. Did see that Swimswam article on her injury and on her decision to opt out of Worlds this year to prepare for Rio while remaining @ UGA: http://swimswam.com/brittany-maclean-to-opt-out-of-2015-world-championships/

Perhaps fewer collegiate internationals than expected will end up redshirting next season? Katie Ledecky's expected to announce her decision soon, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll decide to pursue the path that makes the most sense for her and her country, i.e. continue training under Bruce Gemmell for another year.

My motives aren't entirely altruistic either lol, since in Abbey's absence next season, wouldn't hurt to have as much help as possible towards :bear:s' chances of retaining the NCAA crown in 2016

Speaking of Abbey, I still dream of Teri making a surprise announcement on recruiting an international sprint starlet like Shen Duo (see my post on this from back in Jan below)... :p All the domestic studs have already been snapped up AFAIK, and not currently aware of any available transfers that can come close to substituting for Abbey's phenomenal scoring potential in her events.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"]Siobhan Haughey with gold medallist Shen Duo and bronze medallist Qiu Yuhan on the podium.[/COLOR]

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842446023 said:

Speaking of the [U]2015 recruiting class[/U], wonder if there's any remote chance that Teri could snag an international sprint stud like [COLOR="#A52A2A"]Shen Duo[/COLOR] in April? Shen was 2nd in the [U]200m free[/U] at the Super Series yesterday, and currently holds the 5th fastest time in this event worldwide?

I realize it's highly unlikely the program has the scholly funds for a high profile international seeing that we couldn't afford both Abbey & Siobhan in the first place (Haughey apparently was never even approached as otherwise I can't see her picking Michigan over Cal), and the cultural/language gap's likely wider for someone from Mainland China as opposed to Hong Kong so not sure if there'd even be a good fit here....

But, on the plus side, Shen's even faster than Siobhan having beaten her across all their events at the 2014 Youth Olympics, and her range stretches up to the 200 in addition to the 100 & 50 sprints. Our relays will become unquestionably formidable with the addition of a star sprinter like Shen, and this potent addition to the Dream Class would surely usher in yet another era of domination and secure our next swimming dynasty...

Wouldn't turn down a breaststroke phenom either TBH, such as one of [U]tedbear[/U]'s fave, Kanako Watanabe

http://avaha1978.hubpages.com/hub/Kanako-Watanabe-an-Olympic-breaststroke-swimmer-that-has-become-an-international-swimming-champion
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
---------

[COLOR="#000099"]USA Swimming Stats - There are 36 swimmers 18 & Under who have swum at least one "A" [U]2015 World Champ qualifying time[/U] over the last year[/COLOR]

---------
Note that all 4 members of our [U]2015/2016 Dream Team[/U] (Kathleen, Amy, Katie / Abbey) are on this select list.

Also, Andrew Seliskar...only 2 male swimmers qualified!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
:gobears:
BearDevil
Bears have had success with Hong Kong swimmers, but getting a swimmer from mainland China is a different deal socially and culturally. An Olympic year makes it even more unlikely.

If we are throwing out names, Anika Apostalon from San Diego State would be an ideal transfer. NCAA scorer both seasons in the 50/100, water polo player, originally from New Mexico. Better coaching at Cal, better training partners, better polo, and a better school. Long shot for the Olympics, but a good bridge to Abbey. Have no idea if feasible, but would be a replacement for Bing in an area of need.
BearDevil
Meghan Small's starting to blow up. Extremely fast in both backs and both IMs, plus right at a sub minute breast relay split. Would be exactly what the Bears need in several areas.

Downside is that she's from the same club team as Georgia's Hali Flickinger. Dawgs will have a ton of money to spend. Bears may go head to head with Georgia for Becca Mann, Claire Adams, and Small. Little bit of overlap (400 IM, 200 back) that one school's not likely to get all 3, but would be a coup for the Bears to get Becca and one of the two backstrokers. Other bonus with Small would be a leg up on her teammate Courtney Harnish who will be one of the top distance recruits in 2017.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842378472 said:

(10-08-2014)

Not that conversant with their short course metrics, but I'd also consider the likes of [U]Meghan Small[/U], Cassidy Bayer, [U]Courtney Harnish[/U] & Isabella Rongione who all appear to have considerable potential.

tedbear;842422980 said:

(12-12-2014)

Looking forward to see who else turns up on the radar from now to July 1st.

BearDevil;842476224 said:

(4-02-2015)

Meghan Small's starting to blow up. Extremely fast in both backs and both IMs, plus right at a sub minute breast relay split. Would be exactly what the Bears need in several areas.

Really exciting development here! :beer:

Had been aware of Meghan's talent, but she has in just a couple of sessions been elevated from merely a very solid top tier recruit to keep an eye out on, to becoming one of the nation's most valuable recruit!

Meghan's [U]200 Backstroke[/U] time from Tues would have placed her 6th @ this year's [U]NCAA A finals[/U], ahead of Melanie & Liz!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
---------

http://swimswam.com/meghan-small-clocks-3rd-fastest-15-16-200y-backstroke-of-all-time-on-night-2-of-ymca-nationals/

The women's [U]200 backstroke[/U] final saw all eight swimmers dip beneath the 2:00 threshold, led by a phenomenal swim by York's Meghan Small. Her 1:51.74 not only took back her Y Nationals record broken by Ali Galyer in the morning prelims (1:53.91), but it ranks Small as the third-fastest 15-16 women's performance of all time in the event only behind Kylie Stewart and Elizabeth Pelton.

Women's 200 Back A Final - 2015 YMCA National Short Course Championship

[video=youtube;WYU1K26MdAI][/video]

---------

http://swimswam.com/meghan-small-breaks-two-ymca-national-records-on-day-3-of-short-course-ynats/

16-year-old Meghan Small broke two of those records herself. Swimming a rough double, Small picked up two huge wins and absolutely crushed national records in both events.

First came the [U]100 back[/U], where Small was 52.19, taking more than a full second off the previous mark, a 53.27 set by Emily Slabe last season. Also going under the old record was Middle Tyger's Katrina Konopka, who was 52.70, and Middle Tyger's Ali Galyer was third in 53.71.

Not long after, Small returned to pace the [U]400 IM[/U], taking that brutal double in stride. Small was 4:03.96, a big-time swim from the 16-year-old and the best time in YMCA history by nearly 6 seconds. The previous record was from 2011, and was set by former York star and current Georgia standout Hali Flickinger at 4:09.30. Flickinger was the NCAA runner-up just a few weeks ago at an NCAA meet in which Small's time would have placed 6th overall.

Not to be outdone by her teammate Small, 15-year-old Courtney Harnish pulled off a national record of her own, going 1:45.62 to win the [U]200 free[/U] late in the evening. Harnish's time took six tenths off the 1:46.20 originally set by future NCAA champ Margo Geer back in 2010.

[COLOR="#696969"][U]liquidassets[/U] : Small is unbelievably versatile. 59.9 breast split on the relay. She could end up being the top NC2A recruit next year, and will likely be an Olympic Trials finalist in at least one event, assuming she keeps up the rate of improvement starting last summer.

[U]bobo gigi[/U]: She's so versatile. She has no weak stroke. So her IM is great. 4.03.96 in the 400 IM! Just after swimming a 100 back!
She's now the 3rd fastest US 15/16 performer ever in that event behind only Dagny Knutson (4.00.62 in 2008) and Katie Hoff (4.03.46 in 2005) and ahead of Elizabeth Beisel (4.04.59 in 2008).
And Liquid, I think that Miss Small has much more ambition than only a final at the next olympic trials. I think that she targets simply a qualification for Rio. She was 4th last summer at US nationals in the 200 IM in 2.11.83. At the rate she improves day after day and in one of the most open events in USA without any big favorite, I think she has more than 75% of chances to qualify.
[/COLOR]
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842476249 said:

Meghan's [U]200 Backstroke[/U] time from Tues would have placed her 6th @ this year's [U]NCAA A finals[/U], ahead of Melanie & Liz!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
---------
[/COLOR]

As the NCAA, American, and US Open record holder, I can only assume Liz's swim this year was an anomaly. She was swimming fantastically up until the NCAA.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842476258 said:

As the NCAA, American, and US Open record holder, I can only assume Liz's swim this year was an anomaly. She was swimming fantastically up until the NCAA.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Liz probably ran out of gas at the end of a compressed & tiring schedule, still did creditably well (if not quite meeting the lofty standards she had set up in her freshman year). Definitely was as important as any other Bear when it came to her invaluable contribution to the team's epic victory!

Thought I'd put up a relative ranking for the [U][COLOR="#A52A2A"]200 Back[/COLOR][/U] event for next season and beyond.

Current & incoming :bear:s have their [U]names[/U] underlined
Prospects from the 2016 incoming class are bolded
Potential 2017 & 2018 recruits are in [COLOR="#696969"]gray[/COLOR]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[INDENT][SIZE=5][U][COLOR="#800080"]200 Back[/COLOR][/U][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[COLOR="#FF0000"]
------------------------------- (2015 NCAA A Finals Qual)
1:47.84
[U]Liz Pelton[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](3/13)[/COLOR]
1:51.74 Meghan Small [COLOR="#808080"](3/15)[/COLOR]
1:51.87 Claire Adams [COLOR="#808080"](12/14)[/COLOR]
1:51.95 Erin Voss [COLOR="#808080"](12/14)[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#006400"]------------------------------- (2015 NCAA B Finals Qual)
1:53.13 [COLOR="#808080"]Taylor Ruck (12/14)[/COLOR]
1:53.28
[U]Amy Bilquist[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](2/15)[/COLOR]
1:53.36 Allie Szekely [COLOR="#808080"](12/14)[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#8B4513"]------------------------------- (2015 NCAA B Finals Score)
1:54.15
[U]Kelly Naze[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](2/15)[/COLOR]
1:54.30
[U]Kathleen Baker[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](3/13)[/COLOR]
1:54.55
[U]Cierra Runge[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](12/13)[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
-------------------------------
1:54.61 [COLOR="#808080"]Erin Earley (12/14)[/COLOR]
1:54.88 [COLOR="#808080"]Abby Richter (12/14)[/COLOR]
1:55.14 Asia Seidt, [COLOR="#808080"](12/14)[/COLOR]
1:55.68 Beata Nelson [COLOR="#808080"](11/14)[/COLOR]
1:55.96 Courtney Mykkanen [COLOR="#808080"](2/14)[/COLOR]
1:57.60 [U]Katie McLaughlin[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](12/14)[/COLOR]
1:59.81 [U]Cat Ladd[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](2/13)[/COLOR]
2:00.52 [U]Jasmine Mau[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](12/13)[/COLOR]
2:00.95 Alyssa Marsh [COLOR="#808080"](3/14)[/COLOR]

---------
[COLOR="#FF0000"]UPDATE[/COLOR]:

Meghan Small won the [U]200 IM[/U], in 1:54.25. That time would have ranked her 3rd in this event @ 2015 NCAAs! Of course Missy & Liz are in a class of their own, with their 1-2 times of 1:52.11 & 1:52.80 respectively at the championship.

Courtney Harnish (2017 recruit) didn't do so bad either, winning the [U]200 Fly[/U] with her 1:54.37. Good for 5th @ this year's NC2As. For reference, Noemie had placed the highest for Cal (only :bear: in the A final), coming in 7th with a 1:54.94.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
---------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]How Meghan Small is coming up big for the York YMCA[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/how-meghan-small-coming-up-big-york-ymca/

In a couple-week period chock full of outstanding short course yard swimming, perhaps no one had a more impressive run than 16-year-old York YMCA standout Meghan Small.

Swimming at Short Course YMCA Nationals, Small was everywhere the high school junior swam 9 different events over the 5 day meet, totaling 18 different swims between prelims and finals. She smashed huge margins off her previous bests to win six of those events (including all four of her individuals) and catapult herself into the top-tier of next year's college recruiting lists.

Here are all of Small's event finishes from YMCA Nationals:

200 back: 1:51.74 1st
100 back: 52.19 1st
400 IM: 4:03.96 1st
200 IM: 1:54.25 1st
50 free (relay split): 22.21
100 breast (relay split): 59.96
200 free (relay leadoff): 1:45.48
50 breast (relay split): 27.91
100 free (relay split): 48.11

All four individual races rank Small within the top 10 of all-time for the 15-16 age group. Her 200 IM is the second-best of all-time, and her 400 IM and 200 back each rank 3rd.

Equally impressive was that Small's 400 IM and 100 back (9th all-time) came in a tough back-to-back double on Wednesday.

She isn't usually the tallest swimmer in the pool Brooks estimates his swimmer is somewhere around 5'6″ but in junior meets so far this spring, no one has come up bigger than Small.

---------
BearDevil
Ruck's only a freshman, so she's a 2018 recruit. Voss would probably be more valuable to Cal as a distance swimmer. 1650 free/200 back is a brutal back to back double.

Bears' immediate need is for a (transfer or international) sprinter to cover for Abbey. 2016 looks like Abbey plus 2 or 3 high end recruits. Needs are back and distance. Sprint breast would be a bonus. Bears need to find a distance complement to Cierra in 2016 or 2017.

Pelton sucked it up for the team and didn't swim her ideal program (200 IM, 200 free, 200 back) this season. Will still swim the 800 free relay and maybe 400 free too.
tedbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842476326 said:

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Liz probably ran out of gas at the end of a compressed & tiring schedule, still did creditably well (if not quite meeting the lofty standards she had set up in her freshman year). Definitely was as important as any other Bear when it came to her invaluable contribution to the team's epic victory!

Thought I'd put up a relative ranking for the [U][COLOR="#A52A2A"]200 Back[/COLOR][/U] event for next season and beyond.

Current & incoming :bear:s have their [U]names[/U] underlined
Prospects from the 2016 incoming class are bolded
Potential 2017 & 2018 recruits are in [COLOR="#696969"]gray[/COLOR]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[INDENT][SIZE=5][U][COLOR="#800080"]200 Back[/COLOR][/U][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[COLOR="#FF0000"]
------------------------------- (2015 NCAA A Finals Qual)
1:47.84
[U]Liz Pelton[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](3/13)[/COLOR]
1:51.74 Meghan Small [COLOR="#808080"](3/15)[/COLOR]
1:51.87 Claire Adams [COLOR="#808080"](12/14)[/COLOR]
1:51.95 Erin Voss [COLOR="#808080"](12/14)[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#006400"]------------------------------- (2015 NCAA B Finals Qual)
1:53.13 [COLOR="#808080"]Taylor Ruck (12/14)[/COLOR]
1:53.28
[U]Amy Bilquist[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](2/15)[/COLOR]
1:53.36 Allie Szekely [COLOR="#808080"](12/14)[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#8B4513"]------------------------------- (2015 NCAA B Finals Score)
1:54.15
[U]Kelly Naze[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](2/15)[/COLOR]
1:54.30
[U]Kathleen Baker[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](3/13)[/COLOR]
1:54.55
[U]Cierra Runge[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](12/13)[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
-------------------------------
1:54.61 [COLOR="#808080"]Erin Earley (12/14)[/COLOR]
1:54.88 [COLOR="#808080"]Abby Richter (12/14)[/COLOR]
1:55.14 Asia Seidt, [COLOR="#808080"](12/14)[/COLOR]
1:55.68 Beata Nelson [COLOR="#808080"](11/14)[/COLOR]
1:55.96 Courtney Mykkanen [COLOR="#808080"](2/14)[/COLOR]
1:57.60 [U]Katie McLaughlin[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](12/14)[/COLOR]
1:59.81 [U]Cat Ladd[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](2/13)[/COLOR]
2:00.52 [U]Jasmine Mau[/U] [COLOR="#808080"](12/13)[/COLOR]
2:00.95 Alyssa Marsh [COLOR="#808080"](3/14)[/COLOR]

Obear, don't forget that she had the fastest prelim time also! I agree with UAC, that part of it was fatigue at the end of the meet, but I think there was a strategic error too when she went out too fast to stay with Missy. Liz is usually consistent from the first 50 to the last 50, but she went out hard in the final and ended up crashing on the last 100. Megan Small isn't a big revelation, she has been known for awhile. I remember seeing a Morning Swim Show interview with her, and I'm going to put her in the category of great swimmer, but maybe not a Cal fit. Only Teri knows for sure, but I'm going to lump her in the same category as Becca Mann and Beata Nelson, as great swimmers who are likely not going to be Bears. My current wish list is still: 1a. Katie Drabot 1b. Claire Adams 3. Allie Szekely 4 Megan Byrnes 5. Marshmallow. The first two are must gets in my opinion. BearDevil, I think it's time to tap your source for info on internationals or transfers for next year :p.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=5]SwimSwam's Way-too-early preview of the 2016 Women's NCAA Championships[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"]After Rachel Bootsma had a resurgent 2015 season, and that momentum joined by a devastating recruiting class make Cal the early favorite picks for the 2016 NCAA title, pending one major enrollment decision elsewhere in the Pac-12. Archive Photo via Tim Binning/TheSwimPictures.com[/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/swimswams-way-too-early-preview-of-the-2016-womens-ncaa-championships/

The 2015 NCAA Championships have only just wrapped up, but for true swimming nerds, it's never too early to start looking to next year. Since we here at SwimSwam fit squarely into that category, we've started running some numbers on the 2016 NCAA season.

Below is a chart with the top 15 women's teams from this season's NCAAs, along with how many of their points will be vacated by departing swimmers. The "points lost" category is mostly outgoing seniors, but there are some notable exceptions.

Cal's Missy Franklin was just a sophomore in 2015, but has officially turned pro and won't compete for the Bears next year. Beyond that, we're likely to see a number of athletes choose to take Olympic redshirts next season. The most notable name to already announce her intention to do so is Minnesota's NCAA breaststroking champ Kierra Smith.

Things could stay pretty stable near the top next year. Georgia had a big class graduate, losing more points from their outgoing seniors than any other program. (California only passes them in points lost when you factor in Franklin's departure). Georgia has some solid young talents like Kylie Stewart and Meaghan Raab who should earn more central roles next year, but with the rapid rise of Cal and Stanford, the Bulldogs could have a hard time holding onto second place.

[SIZE=3]Returning Points[/SIZE]

("Points Lost" refers to individual points, including diving. The totals include 2015 relay points.)

[U]Rank Team 2015-Points Points-Lost Percent-Lost Returning-Points [/U]
1 California 513 120 23.39% 393
2 Georgia 452 107.5 23.78% 344.5
3 Stanford 363 25 6.89% 338
4 Virginia 229 2 0.87% 227
5 Texas A&M 231 57 24.68% 174
6 Louisville 197 41 20.81% 156
7 USC 163 20 12.27% 143
8 Texas 164 26 15.85% 138
9 Florida 129 0 0.00% 129
10 Indiana 126 5 3.97% 121
11 Minnesota 118 3 2.54% 115
12 Tennessee 125 27 21.60% 98
13 Missouri 100 12 12.00% 88
14 Wisconsin 103 33 32.04% 70
15 Arizona 99.5 31 31.16% 68.5

[SIZE=3]Outlook[/SIZE]

The race at the top next season probably depends heavily on a forthcoming decision from Katie Ledecky. The world's best distance swimmer, a Stanford signee, could elect to postpone her collegiate enrollment, choosing not to switch up her training and move halfway across the country 9 months out from the Olympic Trials.

Stanford is 55 points behind Cal in returning points, and Ledecky likely makes that up all by herself. But if Ledecky chooses to defer her enrollment a year, something Cal's top recruit Abbey Weitzeil has already announced she'll do, the landscape changes majorly.

Still, Cal and Stanford have been running away with the nation's top recruiting classes, and with Georgia's sustained losses, it's somewhat fair to expect a Pac-12 showdown for next year's NCAA title.

Stanford, of course, returns all-star sprinter Simone Manuel, and brings in a top-tier IMer in Ella Eastin. But for now, we'll give Cal the edge, given they nabbed 4 of the top 5 recruits in our pre-season rankings: Weitzeil, backstroker/IMer Kathleen Baker, butterflyer Katie McLaughlin and backstroker/sprinter Amy Bilquist.

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

USA Swimming Stats - [COLOR="#696969"]8 Apr[/COLOR]

There are over 148,000 members of USA Swimming between 13-18. There are only 19 who have swum a 2016"A" Oly standard:

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-----------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Michael Phelps enters 5 events including 400 free at Mesa Pro Swim[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/michael-phelps-enters-5-events-including-400-free-at-mesa-pro-swim-psych-sheets-here/

3 of our baby :bear:s will be competing at the [U]2015 Arena Pro Swim Series in Mesa[/U] next week (long course meters meet), with Katie entered in 8 events (she'll likely drop a few lol):

http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=2396&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en

[COLOR="#000066"]Katie McLaughlin[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#ffcc00"]200 Free
100 Fly
200 Fly
50 Free
100 Back
200 IM
200 Back
100 Free[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#000066"]Kathleen Baker[/COLOR]
200 Fly
100 Back
200 IM[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#000066"]Abbey Weitzeil[/COLOR]
100 Fly
50 Free
100 Back
100 Free[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#000066"][COLOR="#FF0000"]*[/COLOR]Recruits[/COLOR] (I may have missed a few): Taylor Ruck, Nikol Popov, Erin Earley, Regan Barney, Taylor Ault, and U$C commit Stanzi Moseley.

Noticeable absence of the [U]Women's team[/U], but the [COLOR="#000066"]Men[/COLOR] will be repped by Jacob Pebley, Connor Green & Janardan Burns.

On the [COLOR="#000066"]grads/alumni[/COLOR] side: Natalie, Caitlin, Madison Kennedy, as well as Tom Shields, Marcin Tarczynski & Wyatt Hodges.

-----------

[COLOR="#FF0000"]*[/COLOR]Rest of the top recruits meanwhile having fun @ the National Junior Team Camp up in Colorado:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

-----------

-----------
BearDevil
tedbear;842476642 said:

Obear, don't forget that she had the fastest prelim time also! I agree with UAC, that part of it was fatigue at the end of the meet, but I think there was a strategic error too when she went out too fast to stay with Missy. Liz is usually consistent from the first 50 to the last 50, but she went out hard in the final and ended up crashing on the last 100. Megan Small isn't a big revelation, she has been known for awhile. I remember seeing a Morning Swim Show interview with her, and I'm going to put her in the category of great swimmer, but maybe not a Cal fit. Only Teri knows for sure, but I'm going to lump her in the same category as Becca Mann and Beata Nelson, as great swimmers who are likely not going to be Bears. My current wish list is still: 1a. Katie Drabot 1b. Claire Adams 3. Allie Szekely 4 Megan Byrnes 5. Marshmallow. The first two are must gets in my opinion. BearDevil, I think it's time to tap your source for info on internationals or transfers for next year :p.

Agree that Mann, Small, and Nelson probably won't be Bears. My ideal class would be Abbey, Mann, Small, and Marsh. Think the likely class will be Abbey, Drabot, Adams, and Marsh. Relatively bullish on Bears' chances to repeat if Ledecky defers and Teri uses Abbey's 2016 $s on a sprinter or distance (transfer or international).
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
--------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Being Senior Katie McLaughlin Photo Vault[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#0033cc"]More photos here:[/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/being-senior-katie-mclaughlin-photo-vault/

--------

--------

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]15 April[/COLOR]
Roomies [SIZE=5]☺️☺️☺️[/SIZE] can't wait to conquer Cal with you @phoebelamay [SIZE=4]������[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]����[/SIZE]

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]19 April[/COLOR]
When you swim occasionally

[U]Katie Drabot[/U]: @amybilquist did you get your senior pictures taken? Lol
[U]Amy Bilquist[/U]: @katiedrabot nah you sassy cat

--------
BearDevil
Bob Bowman, Michael Phelps' coach, has become the head coach at Arizona State. He left North Baltimore (Pelton, Runge) and previously coached at Michigan. Don't think it's a big deal for Cal since ASU doesn't offer the same swim/academic combo as Cal or LSJU. Do think it's a major blow to Georgia since NBAC is a huge feeder (Allison Schmitt, Chase Kaliez). Michigan pretty much underachieved with Bowman as coach since his focus was on Phelps. ASU seems like a short-term move to train Phelps and other pros outside in Tempe for Rio.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842475202 said:

[COLOR="#000099"]USA Swimming Stats - There are 36 swimmers 18 & Under who have swum at least one "A" [U]2015 World Champ qualifying time[/U] over the last year[/COLOR]

---------
Note that all 4 members of our [U]2015/2016 Dream Team[/U] (Kathleen, Amy, Katie / Abbey) are on this select list.

Also, Andrew Seliskar...only 2 male swimmers qualified!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
:gobears:

---------

[COLOR="#000099"]USA Swimming Stats - These are the 11 girls and 2 boys, currently 17 or younger most likely to make an impact at the [U]2016 Olympic Trials[/U]. [/COLOR]

---------

[COLOR="#000099"]USA Swimming Stats - A look at the top 4 girls and boys 14-17 by zone in the [U]200y Fr[/U] this season (2014-15). A lot of swimming this year: [/COLOR]

---------
BearDevil
Interesting transfer. ASU breaststroker Jorie Caneta to Texas A&M. Pretty fast (1:00.81) in season, but didn't qualify for NCAAs. Marina and Maija both faster in the 200.

A&M already has 4 sub-minute sprinters, but they wouldn't have taken her if they didn't see any potential. Originally from Bakersfield, so in-state tuition for both sides would have been a plus. Hard to tell if there was any mutual interest. Teri is probably looking for an immediate scorer in 2016 and an intra-conference transfer has to sit out a year.
tedbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842481360 said:

--------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Being Senior Katie McLaughlin Photo Vault[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#0033cc"]More photos here:[/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/being-senior-katie-mclaughlin-photo-vault/

--------

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]15 April[/COLOR]
Roomies [SIZE=5]☺️☺️☺️[/SIZE] can't wait to conquer Cal with you @phoebelamay [SIZE=4]������[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]����[/SIZE]

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]19 April[/COLOR]
When you swim occasionally

[U]Katie Drabot[/U]: @amybilquist did you get your senior pictures taken? Lol
[U]Amy Bilquist[/U]: @katiedrabot nah you sassy cat

--------

Wow UAC, nice find on the pictures of Amy! If she makes the US Olympic Team, she would have great marketability. Katie is a hottie too!
BearDevil
A new possible sprint transfer in play for the Bears-Valerie Hull. Originally from San Diego and reportedly leaving Auburn after her freshman year. Took an official visit to Cal as a high school senior. She'd be the third faster 50 free sprinter on the team next season as a sophomore.
tedbear
BearDevil;842487517 said:

A new possible sprint transfer in play for the Bears-Valerie Hull. Originally from San Diego and reportedly leaving Auburn after her freshman year. Took an official visit to Cal as a high school senior. She'd be the third faster 50 free sprinter on the team next season as a sophomore.

Nice pick up. Thanks for the info BD. Valerie finished 23rd in the 50 Free and 37th in the 100 Free. Hopefully Teri can work some magic and improve those times. She is probably holding Abbey's place until the latter arrives in Berkeley in 2016. I doubt she is getting full scholly money. Our sprinters: 1. Farida 2. Amy 3. Hull 4. Vredeveld
OBear073akaSMFan
tedbear;842487532 said:

Nice pick up.
Correction Nice possible pick up. Based on BD's description she hasn't signed yet!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842461658 said:

With this devastating announcement from Stanzi, I feel that it's now even more vital that we recruit Katie Drabot and Claire Adams with greater urgency than ever. Amy can play a pivotal role here as she appears to be good friends with both of them!

Would even propose that we consider moving Veronica Burchill (Amy's teammate from CHS) up to the primary candidates list for Dream Team 2016. Her [U]50[/U] and [U]100 free[/U] times are not too far behind Stanzi's (i.e. potential NCAA "down" scorer as a freshman). VB's forte doesn't extend up to the [U]200 free[/U] distance like Stanzi (which is why we really need Drabot & Adams), but she does happen to be already capable of scoring in the [U]100 fly[/U]...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]2014 USA Swimming Junior Nationals - The team of Rachel Hayden (57.37), Veronica Burchill (56.06), Claire Adams (56.23) and Amy Bilquist (55.22) rocketed their way to the top time of 3:44.88 in the 400m free relay. That smashed the previous record of 3:45.58 set by SwimMAC a year ago, also broke the 15-18 U.S. National Age Group record of 3:45.50 set by the Colorado Stars with Missy Franklin in 2010.[/SIZE]

Veronica Burchill - [COLOR="#696969"]26 Apr 2015[/COLOR]
Very happy & couldn't be more excited to announce my commitment to swim for the University of Georgia! #GoDawgs ❤️��
tedbear
OBear073akaSMFan;842487545 said:

Correction Nice possible pick up. Based on BD's description she hasn't signed yet!

Ooops, my bad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.