Women's Swim Recruits

312,106 Views | 725 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
BearDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
longseeker;842500757 said:

Unless there are any more 2015 prospects, how do you UAC and Bear Devil rate the best prospects for Cal's 2016 Mens program? What do you think of Gwo (Paly area), the swimmer Xie (first name), the younger Liang (Paly), and any SoCal and National swimmers? I would rule out Poppe in the Br as we have Carson Sands coming in this year. Will we need (or even want) a real good diver? I hope Norman does better than Jardana in his Frosh season, but his State meet times were just decent. We need a male Cierra Runge for the distances.

Also both your opinions on our current Frosh this year: Hoppe, Coan, Silverthorn, and Kyle Gornay, Lynch et al? Thanks

Bears need one more sprinter for 2016, so wouldn't be shocked if there were still another international recruit or transfer still added. Lose Messerschmidt, Prenot, Pebley, and T Williams. With Murphy, Green, and Thomas, don't need another backstroker. Need a sprinter (two if they don't add another to 2015). Still haven't given up on Rooney.

Other than Lynch and Hoppe, frosh underachieved. Still weren't going to beat UT, but that class needs to be significantly better.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Conquering American records and airplane rides: an interview with Amy Bilquist[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Amy Bilquist is a person, along with an insanely fast swimmer, if that's possible. She's really tall, afraid of plane rides, and has big dreams, at least that's what I noticed on March 14th, when I interviewed her right after my practice ended. Archive Photo via Tim Binning/TheSwimPictures.com[/SIZE]

[COLOR="#696969"]Gavin Cooley | May 28th, 2015 [/COLOR]

Before I begin to discuss the spectacular success of Amy and two other incredible swimmers, I feel I have some explaining to do. I am not a coach. I am not a professional journalist. I'm not even an adult. I'm just an Age Group Swimmer, and I write nearly entirely based off of my previous experiences. The point of these articles is to provide background on some really fast swimmers that could be the future of USA swimming, answer questions about them you may not think to ask, and delve in to the similarities and differences in each of their stories. That last part you may have to wait for, sorry. Now, allow me to begin.

Amy Bilquist is a person, along with an insanely fast swimmer, if that's possible. She's really tall, afraid of plane rides, and has big dreams, at least that's what I noticed on March 14th, when I interviewed her right after my practice ended. Amy will be attending Cal-Berkeley next year, because it "exhales excellence" and "is something she wants to be a part of", and she has already been on the World Championships team representing the United States. As a member of Carmel Swim Club, she knows greatness. The girls team is arguably not only the best team in the country right now, but the best girls team EVER. This year they won their 29th consecutive high school state championship. I expect an ESPN 30 for 30 next year, if they win again. Training with that kind of reputation is extremely tough, especially when you move in to it when you're already almost a junior, as Amy did. She moved to Carmel from Goodyear, Arizona. She says, "Honestly, I was a little intimidated at first. Everything just seemed to flow so well, and I wasn't used to that, so it took a little adjusting to." The transition to Indiana "taught her a lot about who she was, and what she wanted to be." Pretty deep stuff, especially for not even having graduated a high school yet. I almost let my inner swimming nerd carry me away there, and I was tempted to ask her about technique, work ethic, the type of training she did, and other assorted swim questions. Then I remembered, hey, what would an age group swimmer be interested in?

The hardest practice Amy has ever done was 10x800s on "some insane interval", odds IM, evens Free. She was "crying at the wall" by the time it was over, and my body hurt just listening to her talk about it. Her favorite race memory was from when she was 14, just after Olympic trials, at Speedo Sectionals, the 200 Back. She went 2:14, long course. It was at this point that I realized one glaringly obvious thing. Her long course time was faster than my short course time is. Maybe I need to work on backstroke a bit.

When Amy was eleven, she trained with the Senior group on her team in Arizona, because you know, why not? The more questions I asked, the more ridiculously amazing some of the things Amy has done seemed. She's an American Record holder in the 450 Free relay, and she "definitely did not expect it". She got the record at World Championships last year, in Doha, Qatar. The scariest thing about that trip, for her, was the plane ride. Not the Olympians at the meet, or the foreign country, the plane ride.

Amy Bilquist is without a doubt a phenomenal swimmer, and a hard worker. She didn't swim at Charlotte this year though, and you know why? Her foot's in a boot. She has multiple stress fractures. The strange part is this. I can tell you that if I had multiple stress fractures, I would not be training, but Amy is. I am almost positive I have seen her on the pool deck every day. Bilquist is a force to be reckoned with, not only because of talent, but because of dedication.

http://swimswam.com/conquering-american-records-and-airplane-rides-an-interview-with-amy-bilquist/

-------

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]29 May[/COLOR]
A flamingo in a snuggie (sorry doc took off the boot for pics ~ pls forgive)

-------

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]30 May[/COLOR]
The U.S. History trio graduated!!! Thanks for everything @CarmelTaff #hunter
[COLOR="#808080"]Alex Clarke[/COLOR]

-------

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]30 May[/COLOR]
There was a graduation today... It was ours [SIZE=4] [COLOR="#0099cc"]��[/COLOR][COLOR="#FFD700"]��[/COLOR]��[/SIZE]

-------

USA Swimming Stats- [COLOR="#696969"]31 May[/COLOR]
The progression of Amy Bilquist in the 100m Fr. A national junior teamer to watch in an open event over the next yr.

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

Caitlin Leverenz - [COLOR="#696969"]29 May[/COLOR]

I'll forever bleed blue & gold, but now I have a tiny bit of orange in my veins b/c my little sister is going to be a Tennessee Volunteer!

-------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Brianna Leverenz, Recovering from Surgery, Commits to Tennessee Volunteers[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/brianna-leverenz-recovering-from-surgery-commits-to-tennessee-volunteers/

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/brianna-leverenz-younger-sister-to-caitlin-picks-tennessee/

-------
BearDevil
Congrats to Brianna. Bears are at such a high level now that Teri doesn't have much room for legacy recruits unless they can clearly contribute. Have to believe that Mary Pelton chose UCLA because she didn't want to be in Liz's shadow. Would have contributed to the Bears.

Teri would take legacies Alyssa Marsh or Courtney Myykanen, but probably doesn't have room for both in the next recruiting class. Was an article today about someone from Eva Greene's/Abi Speers' club team who will swim for Duke. Thought to be a contender for the breast legs on relays at Duke. Maija's parents are Duke faculty and her sister's a med student, but Maija turned down both childhood favorite Duke and Harvard for Cal. Maija would have been the best breaststroker at both schools.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

[COLOR="#336699"][SIZE=4]Girls swimmer of the year: [U]Katie McLaughlin[/U], Santa Margarita[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"]The Register's Orange County swimmers of the year are Santa Margarita's Katie McLaughlin, left, and Grant Shoults. [/COLOR]

It was a perfect ending for Katie McLaughlin.

The Santa Margarita swimmer known for placing a high-value on team competition blazed the final four laps of the 400-yard freestyle relay earlier this month to seal her fourth consecutive CIF-Southern Section Division 1 team title. She then shed a few tears exiting the pool in Riverside with teammates, including fellow senior Sydney Franzen.

"I definitely had tears of joy and it was a little sad, too," McLaughlin said. "It was awesome to be able to (win) senior year with the girls on our team. I'm happy how it ended up."

The season finished with McLaughlin becoming the rarest of Orange County swimmers: an undefeated CIF Division 1 team champion who also built a resume stacked with an overall national high school record and three Orange County records.

"Very historic," Santa Margarita co-coach Ron Blanc said of McLaughlin, the Register's Orange County girls swimmer of the year for a second consecutive spring.

"She definitely ranks in the top-five (female) swimmers in Orange County history."

After Janet Evans (El Dorado), McLaughlin might share the all-time great podium with Shirley Babashoff (Fountain Valley), Kaitlin Sandeno (El Toro) and Crean Lutheran senior Ella Eastin, who departs with two county records.

But McLaughlin's winning ways in Division 1 make her unique. In her first two seasons at JSerra and her last two at Santa Margarita, the Mission Viejo Nadadores club swimmer flourished as a relay anchor. This spring was no different.

In her final high school race, the Cal-bound McLaughlin split her 400 anchor at CIF in a sizzling 48.11 seconds to bring the Eagles to the wall first in a Division 1 record time of 3 minutes, 21.04 seconds. It was the fourth consecutive season that McLaughlin anchored the winning 400 free relay at the Division 1 finals.

"High school season is more about the team (for me)," she said. "I think my best swims are always last on a relay. I go faster on those just because I feel the team is on me. I just like (anchoring)."

[COLOR="#696969"]The Register's top swimming and diving award winners are Santa Margarita's Grant Shoults (boys swimmer of the year), Santa Margarita's Katie McLaughlin (girls swimmer of the year), right, and JSerra's Kevin Clements (girls swimming coach of the year). [/COLOR]

McLaughlin also was again a force in her individual events. She captured her fourth consecutive CIF Division 1 title in the 100 butterfly by clocking a lifetime-best 51.53 to reclaim her overall national high school record.

McLaughlin actually wanted to be a little faster but turned her time into fuel.

"It just gives me more motivation to work hard," she said.

[video=youtube;QL-V7S7QXQ8][/video]

She also claimed her third consecutive CIF Division 1 crown in the 200 free by breaking her own county and Division 1 record with a lifetime-best 1:43.01, which dominated the field. Her time ranks second in the nation this school year to world-record holder Katie Ledecky's 1:41.55, according to results posted by the National Interscholastic Swim Coaches Association.

McLaughlin even added a twist to her CIF program. In prelims, she led off the 400 free relay in a county-record 48.69 for the 100, just three tenths of a second off the national private high school record of Olympic champion Missy Franklin, who will be her U.S. teammate this August at the FINA World Championships in Kazan, Russia.

But McLaughlin claimed her share of records. In addition to the three county records set this spring, she leaves Santa Margarita with seven school records, including a 1:59.84 in the 200 individual medley.

"She went out in style," Blanc said.

And with her teammates.

http://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/mclaughlin-79298-county-division.html

-------

[COLOR="#009966"][SIZE=4]All-County girls swimming & diving team[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"]The Register's All-County boys and girls swimming and diving teams. The athletes are, back row, from left: University's Danny Tran, Santa Maragarita's Grant Shoults, San Clemente's Josh Swart, University's Andrew Knoell, University's Wil Hofstadter, University's Judd Howard, Crean Lutheran's Colten Young, Crean Lutheran's Ellas Eastin, Santa Margarita's Katie McLaughlin, Crean Lutheran's Emily Eastin, JSerra's Sonia Wang and JSerra's Kaitlyn Albertoli. Front row, from left: Newport Harbor's Sawyer Farmer, Newport Harbor's Jason Trzeciecki, Newport Harbor's Dominik Folkner, Newport Harbor's Hayden Hemmens, Crean Lutheran's Tianna Jorgenson, Crean Lutheran's Elise Garcia and Crean Lutheran's Katia Young. [/COLOR]

http://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/eastin-79301-record-lutheran.html

-------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4][U]Katie McLaughlin[/U], Grant Shoults Named OCVarsity Swimmers of the Year[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"]Future Cal Golden Bear Katie McLaughlin was chosen as the OC Register's 2015 Girls' High School Swimmer of the Year.[/COLOR]

OCVarsity.com, a production of the Orange County Register, gives perhaps the most extensive coverage of high school swimming in the country outside of the Washington Post's Reach for the Wall, and has named their 2015 Orange County boys and girls swimmers of the year.

In an area thick with swimming talent, Grant Shoults and Katie McLaughlin emerged as the choices for the honor.

Shoults took individual titles in the 200 and 500 freestyles at the 2015 CIF-Southern Section Division I Championships, breaking division records in both races.

The biggest title for the Santa Margarits junior, though, was breaking a 24-year old National Independent High School Record in the 200 free, that had belonged to Joe Hudepohl.

Shoults' Santa Margarita teammate McLaughlin also won two events (the 200 free and the 100 fly), both in division records, and also claimed a National High School Record. Her 51.53 in the 100 fly broke the year-old mark of 51.70 done by Beata Nelson last year.

McLaughlin's win came despite a huge challenge from Corona del Mar freshman Eva Merrell, who also slipped under the 52-second barrier in prelims of that race.

http://swimswam.com/katie-mclaughlin-grant-shoults-named-ocvarsity-swimmers-of-the-year/

-------

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]British International Shauna Lee Commits to Swim for Georgia[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shauna Lee, a top-flight freestyler from Great Britain, has committed to swim for the Georgia Bulldogs.

[U]Best Times[/U] (LCM/converted SCY)

50 free 26.21/22.89

100 free 55.35/48.42

200 free 1:59.37/1:44.65

400 free 4:16.48/4:47.37

100 fly 1:01.59/54.22

Lee is primed to have a huge impact on Georgia. The 2015 NCAA team title runners-up Bulldogs have been the NCAA's best women's middle-distance program in the last decade, and Lee's converted times fit into the type of Megan Romano/Allison Schmitt mold that they've had so much success with. In an off-year for Georgia's 2014 star Brittany MacLean, the Bulldogs only had two A finalists and one B finalist at the 2015 SEC Championships in the 200 free. Lee's converted time of 1:44.65 would have won that A final last year. Her converted time in the 100 free would have placed 4th at SECs, too.

She'll join Caitlin Casazza and Sam Fazio in the incoming freshman class for Georgia, in what has been a relatively small class for Jack Bauerle after a big group the year prior.

http://swimswam.com/british-international-shauna-lee-commits-to-swim-for-georgia/

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842475208 said:

If we are throwing out names, Anika Apostalon from San Diego State would be an ideal transfer. NCAA scorer both seasons in the 50/100, water polo player, originally from New Mexico. Better coaching at Cal, better training partners, better polo, and a better school. Long shot for the Olympics, but a good bridge to Abbey. Have no idea if feasible, but would be a replacement for Bing in an area of need.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Anika would have been a brilliant get...but still, we did get Valerie (thru a transfer) and she'd definitely be an immediate contributor in the sprints for us next year
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]USC Picks Up Big Transfer From SDSU All-American Sprinter Anika Apostalon[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Apostalon's best times are currently 21.76 in the 50 freestyle, 47.73 in the 100 freestyle, and 51.92 in the 100 backstroke.

“I originally chose San Diego State because I got to play water polo and swim. It was the right decision two years ago, but now that I am turning my focus on swimming, I decided it would be best if I chose a different program. I absolutely love both teams at State, but it was time for me to explore other options and see what level I can take my swimming to. I originally looked at USC and UGA. Both schools were very welcoming, and have fantastic teams and coaches. I ended up choosing USC because of the long term opportunities with Trojan Swim Club, the L.A. area, as well as all the options that USC academics has to offer. It was a difficult decision, but I am very excited to take this next step.”

http://swimswam.com/usc-picks-up-big-transfer-from-sdsu-all-american-sprinter-anika-apostalon/
BearDevil
Bears weren't in the mix either time, so clearly wasn't a fit. With Hull on board and Abbey in the pipeline, Bears are more than just OK in sprints. Anika would have been a star, but distance is a bigger short-term need. Huge get for 'SC, but they're still not ready to challenge the Bay Area duopoly in conference or nationally. Much better there than at Georgia. Says a lot about 'SC polo that they don't even need her.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842492148 said:

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=5]Defending NCAA Champion Cal Women Add Transfer From Auburn All-American Sprinter Hull[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Sprinter Valerie Hull has decided to transfer from Auburn to Cal beginning with her sophomore season of eligibility. This will take her closer to her native San Diego for her three remaining years of eligibility.

"I'm grateful for the experience I had here at Auburn, but I'm excited to be closer to home and to continue my swim career as a Golden Bear," Hull said of her decision.

-------

[COLOR="#696969"][SIZE=3]Style Advice of the Week[/SIZE]

[COLOR="#FF8C00"][SIZE=5]Let The Color Do The Talking[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Jun. 02, 2015[/COLOR]

It's finally the start of the best time of the year. With the shift in the weather (and the return of your tan), it's time to break out your favorite colors and rock them all season. In recent years, it's been easy to wear fun statement shorts with a basic white tank top or shirt to make the shorts the focal point of your outfit. This summer, try and mix it up! By rocking colored shorts and a neutral but colored top, this Fashionista has put together one eye-catching outfit that is perfect for a stroll along the beach or a fun day out shopping with your fellow Fashionistas!

This Fashionista effortlessly pairs a basic tank top with a bright pair of embroidered shorts that are easy to dress up and easy to dress down, especially if you're looking for a great transition from day to night. These shorts are incredibly versatile and flattering, and they are a great addition to any summer wardrobe. Accessories are minimal, which really lets the color stand out, but the addition of a gold layering necklace is also eye-catching. By adding on a wide brim hat, you'll keep your skin safe from the harsh summer sun and give your outfit a fun accessory. And her shoes even match the belt on her hat. This Fashionista's subtle matching really helps pull the outfit together by allowing for a fun summer look.

What is your STYLE ADVICE OF THE WEEK? "Don't be afraid to pair statement colors together in a non-traditional way. You can rock any combination with summer brights!"

[COLOR="#FF8C00"]Style On,[/COLOR]

Valerie Hull

http://www.collegefashionista.com/style-advice-of-the-week-let-the-color-do-the-talking/

-------

[COLOR="#696969"][SIZE=4]Style Guru Bio[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#000066"][SIZE=5]Valerie Hull[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#808080"]May. 26, 2015[/COLOR]

Hey Fashionista/os! My name is Valerie Hull, and I'm a sophomore here at UC Berkeley majoring in Media Studies. I'm originally from sunny San Diego, and this is my first semester as a Style Guru. I'm excited to show you all the unique and wonderful styles of the student body. While my interests may not lie directly within the fashion industry, I've always loved fashion and seeing the way that media and social media interact with each individual's personal style, allowing them to promote their personal "brand." Needless to say, I'm excited to go out and find Fashionista/os who embrace their personal style and wear it proudly.

Berkeley is a wonderful, eclectic city that takes pride in its unique nature, and the people do too. While there are tons of ways to express your individuality, my favorite way to get a glimpse of who people are is through their sense of style. A self-proclaimed lover of all things casual, my personal style is one of simplicity and some boho influence, as well as anything athletic.

For this outfit, I'm wearing is a classic Free People slip. I'm in love with them and for good reason. They line my closet because you can wear them on their own, layer them like it's your job or combine them with super cute leggings, no matter the season! For the summer, I love to keep it simple, so a couple fun bangles, fun, colored string bracelets and a simple stone necklace finish this outfit off. Wedges are a must-have all the time because they're easy to walk in, and they're fashionable, especially with this breezy dress. Does it get any better?

While I love my fashion comfort zone, summer is the perfect time to step out of it and test out new styles and trends. I am so excited to take inspiration from the students here on campus and share their awesome styles with all of you! Stay tuned for my posts every Tuesday, and get excited for a summer of style!

http://www.collegefashionista.com/style-guru-bio-valerie-hull/

-------

Farida Osman - [COLOR="#696969"]1 June[/COLOR]
Flower power [SIZE=4]��[/SIZE]

[U]Maija Roses[/U]: [SIZE=4]��[/SIZE]: Valerie Hull
[U]Valerie Hull[/U]: [SIZE=4]������������[/SIZE]

-------

[COLOR="#696969"][SIZE=3]What to Wear[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#FF8C00"][SIZE=5]Weekend Wear[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://www.collegefashionista.com/what-to-wear-weekend-wear-679/

-------

Valerie Hull - [COLOR="#696969"]3 June[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]The Campanile[/COLOR]
a happy life is just a string of happy moments [SIZE=4]������[/SIZE] [COLOR="#808080"]@kelnaz[/COLOR]

-------

[COLOR="#696969"][SIZE=3]All In The Details[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#FF8C00"][SIZE=5]Mixing Metallics[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://www.collegefashionista.com/all-in-the-details-mixing-metallics/

-------

Valerie Hull - [COLOR="#696969"]21 August[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]Tin Pot Creamery[/COLOR]
I'm as happy as my ice cream

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Hosszu, Lochte, Moller Pedersen among huge names to compete at Mare Nostrum in Monaco[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Lochte is the biggest name, but American pro hub SwimMAC has brought most of its studs out, too. And high school senior Kathleen Baker, one of the nation's best young swimmers, will also compete.

http://swimswam.com/hosszu-lochte-moller-pedersen-among-huge-names-to-compete-at-mare-nostrum-in-monaco/

[U]Start Lists[/U]: http://www.natresult.com/live.php?id=505201664431&lng=gbr&men=sta&nag=1

-------

[COLOR="#FF8C00"][SIZE=4]17 Spanish Swimmers to Compete at the Mare Nostrum Event in Canet[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/17-spanish-swimmers-to-compete-at-the-mare-nostrum-event-in-canet/

-------

Alyssa Marsh - [COLOR="#696969"]2 June[/COLOR]
That moment I realize I leave for Europe tomorrow.... [COLOR="#808080"]@KathleenBaker2[/COLOR]

-------
[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]
Meanwhile, as Kathleen merrily jets off to Europe for some fun & games, Amy's possibly on her way to campus for Orientation Week?
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]3 June, 8:21 am PST[/COLOR]

When I'm in the LAX airport I can't stop saying LAX bro... It's a real problem

-------

Abbey Weitzeil - [COLOR="#696969"]4 June[/COLOR]
[SIZE=4]����[/SIZE] Excited to start my next chapter #finally #classof2015

[COLOR="#808080"]katiedrabot and 185 others like this.[/COLOR]

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842503011 said:

Meanwhile, as Kathleen merrily jets off to Europe for some fun & games...

-------

Kathleen Baker - [COLOR="#696969"]10 June[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#808080"]j'aime la france [SIZE=4]����[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Nothing like a pool with a view

Ryan Lochte - [COLOR="#696969"]8 June[/COLOR]
About to do some swimming in the Mediterranean Sea @SwimMacElite #MareNostrum

[COLOR="#808080"](featuring Alyssa & David Marsh, Kathleen Baker, amongst others)[/COLOR]

Kathleen Baker - [COLOR="#696969"]8 June[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#808080"]Canet, France [SIZE=4]����[/SIZE][/COLOR]
This is me and my friend and we are happy and in the water of the ocean

Kathleen Baker - [COLOR="#696969"]14 June[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#808080"]Monte-Carlo, Monaco[/COLOR]
Birks and Boats

Kathleen Baker - [COLOR="#696969"]14 June[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#808080"]Monte-Carlo, Monaco[/COLOR]
Trading swim suits for heels to hang with the Prince and Princess of Monaco [SIZE=4]����[/SIZE]

[U]bethanyleap[/U] : You're so cool
[U]nora_mccullagh[/U] : Same
[U]katiemeili[/U] : Smokin
[U]maija8roses[/U] : Hawt [SIZE=4]������[/SIZE]
jessicaekeyes : ^^^
[U]s_nelson98[/U] : so casual
[U]nelson_helm[/U] : Episode of What Would Ryan Lochte Do (feat. Kathleen Baker)
[U]raizelroldan[/U] : Cool
[U]erin_mccullagh[/U] : Yeah
[U]libzfulton[/U] : wtf can I be you
[U]katiedrabot[/U] : Mhmm. Same.

-------
BearDevil
Thanks for the Abbey photo, UAC. Glad to know she's repping Cal. Have been slightly worried (paranoid?) that Teri was going to have to re-recruit/babysit Abbey a little bit this season. Not a bad problem, but Bears have a tom of talent going into a Olympic year. If it were any other year, Bears who be a slam dunk to repeat.
BearDevil
http://swimswam.com/ranking-the-2015-womens-ncaa-recruiting-classes-9-12/

SwimSwam 2015 recruiting class rankings. Georgia is very fortunate to be included in the top 12. They have so much excess 2015 scholly money that they'll be at worst in the top 3 for 2016. Doesn't look like they're trying to back fill 2015 with transfers and internationals. Probably split some of the 2016 money between freshmen and JCs. If not, they'll be way out of balance class wise. OTOH, putting all their eggs in 2016 may be the only way they can challenge Cal and LSJU in the short term.

Even without Abbey and Ledecky, Bay Area duopoly should be ranked 1-2 in the final recruiting rankings.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842507785 said:

Even without Abbey and Ledecky, Bay Area duopoly should be ranked 1-2 in the final recruiting rankings.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Agreed 100%!

Well whilst I may not be completely objective here lol, do reckon that Bears' incoming class of 2015 should ultimately rank #1 over the furd's - even if there are questions surrounding Amy's health for her freshie season (guess we may get a clearer picture if she ends up competing this summer).

Greg's well-played recruitment of Ella (who was also wooed by Teri), Kim & Leah will definitely address some glaring vulnerabilities in LSJU's IM & distance areas, but I do think that even 3/4 of Teri's amazin' Dream Class will trump just about anyone else (esp with Ledecky out of the picture), IMO :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
BearDevil
Transfers count, so Baker/KM/Amy/Hull > Eastin/Stevens/Williams. Apostalon probably bumsps 'SC into third. Texas in fourth and 'Zona squeaks into fifth. 'SC and 'Zona loaded up on quantity over quality.
barabbas
BearDevil;842501524 said:

Congrats to Brianna. Bears are at such a high level now that Teri doesn't have much room for legacy recruits unless they can clearly contribute. Have to believe that Mary Pelton chose UCLA because she didn't want to be in Liz's shadow. Would have contributed to the Bears.

Mary Pelton got a full scholarship to Ucla, we could only offer her a half or less; she's not a high enough caliber recruit.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
--------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=5]Steenbergen Star of Dutch Junior and Youth Championships[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/steenbergen-star-of-dutch-junior-and-youth-championships/

[U]100m Free[/U] - 2015 Dutch Junior & Youth Championships, Eindhoven NED
[COLOR="#FF8C00"]VIDEO ->[/COLOR]

[U]200m Free[/U] - 2015 Dutch Junior & Youth Championships, Eindhoven NED

[U]50m Free[/U] - 2015 Dutch Junior & Youth Championships, Eindhoven NED

--------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=5]2015 European Games: Chupkov, Steenbergen Scare Jr World Records[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/2015-european-games-day-one-finals-live-recap/

--------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=5]Marrit Steenbergen: Why the Dutch relays are suddenly among the scariest in the world[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"]Marrit is the anchor (4th & final leg) for the Dutch team in the [U]W 4x100m relay[/U] race video here below:[/COLOR]

[video=youtube;IPa6BUiBTC4][/video]

http://swimswam.com/marrit-steenbergen-why-the-dutch-relays-are-suddenly-among-the-scariest-in-the-world/

--------
BearDevil
Cal connection(s)?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842509219 said:

Cal connection(s)?

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Sorry, none that I'm aware of :p

My ad hoc sales pitch being based mostly on swim potential & performance curve (long course), which in Marrit's case has always been up there but has hit the roof today to another (unearthly) level in the vein of Abbey's American-record breaking performances (short course) from last Dec!

Be interesting to see how Ms Steenbergen will do in the [U]100[/U] & [U]200 free[/U] finals later this week, and in the relays for NED at worlds in August...

[video=youtube;JTe6xw-jPew][/video]

Aware that international acquisitions are tricky, costly...with many question marks re availability, fit, language/culture, adaptation to SCY & collegiate racing, and interest/desire to compete for a top American university / swim programme instead of remaining in one's home country, or as is the most likely route for a young European elite swimmer, going pro.

Oh well, just idly dreaming of a Bears relay fielding Abbey, Farida, Amy/Kathleen/Katie & Marrit ([U]100 free[/U])...or Cierra, Kathleen, Katie/Amy & Marrit ([U]200 free[/U]), assuming Abbey gets to take a break from relay duty here, that's all...

Hang on, upon further reflection, looks like those future :bear: relay lineups are already pretty darn formidable even without Marrit (or Katie Drabot, Claire Adams etc) hehe

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842509224 said:

Aware that international acquisitions are tricky, costly...with many question marks re availability, fit, language/culture, adaptation to SCY & collegiate racing, and interest/desire to compete for a top American university / swim programme instead of remaining in one's home country, or as is the most likely route for a young European elite swimmer, going pro.

Oh well, just idly dreaming of a Bears relay fielding Abbey, Farida, Amy/Kathleen/Katie & Marrit ([U]100 free[/U])...or Cierra, Kathleen, Katie/Amy & Marrit ([U]200 free[/U]), assuming Abbey gets to take a break from relay duty here, that's all...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Great swimmer, but she's 15. Unless she totally flops in the Olympics, she goes pro after Rio.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=5]Double National Champ Shields Headlines Fran Crippen Memorial Swim Meet of Champions Field[/SIZE][/COLOR]

This year’s attendees include U.S. Olympians [U]Tom Shields[/U], Jessica Hardy, Haley Anderson, Kosuke Kitajima and local up and comers, Katie McLaughlin, Grant Shoults, Abbey Weitzeil, Ella Eastin, and Corey Okubo.

http://swimswam.com/double-national-champ-shields-headlines-fran-crippen-memorial-swim-meet-of-champions-field/

-------

Event Page: http://www.mvnswim.org/EventShow.jsp?id=487738&team=scmvn

Live Results: http://www.socalswim.org/live-results/2015-MVN-SMOC/

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842507785 said:

BearDevil;842507871 said:

Transfers count, so Baker/KM/Amy/Hull > Eastin/Stevens/Williams. Apostalon probably bumsps 'SC into third. Texas in fourth and 'Zona squeaks into fifth. 'SC and 'Zona loaded up on quantity over quality.

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=5]Ranking the 2015 Women's NCAA Recruiting Classes: #5-8[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=3]#8: UCLA Bruins[/SIZE]

Top-tier additions: #15 Caroline McTaggart, Emma Schanz, Mary Pelton, Sandra Sao,
The rest: Alex Hubel, Elena Escalas, Sabrina Kwok

[SIZE=3]#7: Michigan Wolverines[/SIZE]

Top-tier additions: Siobhan Haughey, Becca Postoll, Astrid Swensen, Jamie Yeung
The rest: Katie Duggan, Catie Deloof

On paper, this isn't the same caliber of class the Wolverines brought in last year (Gillian Ryan, Clara Smiddy, Hannah Moore), but this group, led by Hong Kong record holder Siobhan Haughey, easily falls inside the top 10. Haughey is arguably the #1 college-bound sprinter in the country, with lifetime long course bests of 25.4/54.5/1:59.7, all of which would sit among the top 3 times of the U.S. swimmers in this class. She hasn't had a ton of short course competition, but she is the unofficial Hong Kong national record holder in the 100 SCM free (53.72) from a World Cup appearance last year.

[SIZE=3]#6: Auburn Tigers[/SIZE]

Top-tier additions: #11: Aly Tetzloff, Bailey Nero, Erin Falconer, Shannon McKernan
The rest: Katie Money, Michelle Turek

[COLOR="#B22222"][SIZE=3]#5: Stanford Cardinal[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Top-Tier Additions: #6 Ella Eastin, #19 Leah Stevens, Kim Williams, Kaitlyn Albertoli
The rest: n/a

Not included: #1 Katie Ledecky (deferral)

The deferral of arguably the best freestyler of all time pushes the Cardinal down this list a few notches, but the remaining pieces addressing some very large needs. The Cardinal scored zero points between the IM's and distance freestyle events at NCAA's last season last season, which Ella Eastin, Kim Williams, and Leah Stevens were brought in to address.

[COLOR="#B22222"][U]Braden Keith[/U] : Yes, Ledecky was the only Stanford commit (that we know of so far) deferring, but I think the commenter was asking "if Ledecky hadn't deferred, and if all of the other swimmers in other team's classes hadn't deferred" like Abbey Weitzeil. well, barring disaster (which we always must discount in this sort of ranking), Ledecky coming in right away would be good for a minimum of 10 NCAA titles over the next four years.

So, probably #1.
[/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/ranking-the-2015-womens-ncaa-recruiting-classes-5-8/
BearDevil
LSJU-5th and Georgia-11th bodes well for the Bears. 'SC, Texas, and 'Zona still won't have enough to win an NCAA title in 2016.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842509583 said:

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=5]Double National Champ Shields Headlines Fran Crippen Memorial Swim Meet of Champions Field[/SIZE][/COLOR]

This year's attendees include U.S. Olympians [U]Tom Shields[/U], Jessica Hardy, Haley Anderson, Kosuke Kitajima and local up and comers, Katie McLaughlin, Grant Shoults, Abbey Weitzeil, Ella Eastin, and Corey Okubo.

http://swimswam.com/double-national-champ-shields-headlines-fran-crippen-memorial-swim-meet-of-champions-field/

-------

[COLOR="#B22222"][SIZE=5][U]Katie McLaughlin[/U] posts 10th-ranked 200 fly time in the world at SMOC prelims[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/katie-mclaughlin-posts-10th-ranked-200-fly-time-in-the-world-at-smoc-prelims/

U.S. National Teamer Katie McLaughlin had a huge swim in this morning's prelims at the Fran Crippen Swim Meet of Champions, going 2:07.93 in the [U]200 fly[/U].

That time vaults the 17-year-old into a tie for 10th place in our World Rankings for this year: http://swimswam.com/ranking/2014-2015-lcm-women-200-fly/

McLaughlin is competing in front of a home crowd, representing her longtime club, the Mission Viejo Nadadores in what is perhaps her final season before leaving Mission Viejo for the University of California. (McLaughlin is set to become a Cal Bear next fall, [U]but could defer her enrollment to stay at Mission Viejo through the 2016 Olympic Trials[/U]).

This morning's time is the second-best long course meter 200 fly of McLaughlin's career, and even faster than she went in taking second at last summer's U.S. National Championships.

That runner-up finish would earn the high schooler a spot on the U.S. roster for the 2015 World Championships, where McLaughlin will join Cammile Adams in representing the U.S.

Going 2:07.93 at this point in the season has to be a big momentum boost for McLaughlin heading into her first long course World Championships. She was within a second of her lifetime-best (2:07.08) and still has another crack at the event in tonight's finals.

McLaughlin got to represent the U.S. at last summer's Pan Pacific Championships, and that's where she set that personal-best. Her Pan Pacs time also stands just twelve one-hundredths of a second off the 17-18 National Age Group record of 2:06.96 set by Kathleen Hersey in 2008. It would take a major drop for McLaughlin to get that record tonight, but it's certainly not out of the question. And with momentum clearly on her side, it appears that record could be in major jeopardy come Worlds later on this summer.

-------

[COLOR="#FF8C00"][SIZE=5]McLaughlin delivers world-ranked surprise in prelims[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/mission-79509-trademark-one.html

-------

Katie McLaughlin - [COLOR="#696969"]26 June[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]Marguerite Aquatic Center[/COLOR]
Just me and my friend at my last meet vibin as a Nadadore [SIZE=5]��[/SIZE] #sentimental

(wondering if KM's expressed sentiments above may, or may not, squash the persistent rumours of her deferring Cal to train for Rio...)
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842510177 said:

...take a look at these finals results from the 2015 SMOC meet this evening:

[U]100 Free[/U] (top 3)
54.42 - Abbey Weitzeil
55.05 - Katie McLaughlin
55.30 - Stanzi Moseley

Abbey came very close to her lifetime best of 54.38 from 2014 Nationals, which is massively encouraging since she wouldn't be fully rested or tapered here, compared to last year's trials. The ever versatile Katie did achieve a new PB in solidly beating Stanzi to the finish, not too shabby in an event that's not her primary focus. Yes this was all in long course, which does tend to play to KM's strengths, but still...

This just in...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[SIZE=3]Event 13 Women Open 200 LC Meter Freestyle[/SIZE]

1 Katie McLaughlin 17 MVN [U]1:57.55[/U]
2 Allie Davis 20 UN-05 2:01.40 [U]2:00.10[/U]
3 Stanzi Moseley 17 RA 2:02.73 [U]2:01.42[/U]
Not only was Katie's [U]1:57.55[/U] in the 200m Free a meet & pool record as well as a lifetime best (prev PB = 1:58.00 from April), but that presumably unrested swim ranks her now as the 4th fastest American in this event this year, behind only Katie Ledecky, Missy & Allison Schmidt, and #24 in the 2015 world rankings! :bravo
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842510086 said:

Katie McLaughlin - [COLOR="#696969"]26 June[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]Marguerite Aquatic Center[/COLOR]
Just me and my friend at my last meet vibin as a Nadadore [SIZE=5]��[/SIZE] #sentimental

(wondering if KM's expressed sentiments above may, or may not, squash the persistent rumours of her deferring Cal to train for Rio...)
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

-------

Dan Albano - [COLOR="#696969"]27 June[/COLOR]
@KatieMcLaugh1in is making her last #smoc before college a memorable and fun meet @RoseCoachrose

-------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=5]Katie McLaughlin Swims Top 25 World Ranking In The 200 Freestyle At SMOC[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[U]200 FREESTYLE[/U]

Katie McLaughlin secured a big win over a tough field in the women's [U]200m freestyle[/U] final, sporting a 1:57.55 at the touch to give her the win by over a second and a half. Her closest competitor was 20-year-old Allie Davis in 2:00.10. Stanzi Moseley rounded out the top three with a 2:01.42 performance. The time for McLaughlin cracked the top 25 in the world rankings, ranking her 24th in the world in the event.

That win for McLaughlin comes after setting a new personal best of 55.30 in the 100m freestyle Friday night, and putting up the 10th fastest time in the world in the 200m fly prelims Friday morning.

The Mission Viejo swimmer did amount to a new personal best with her 1:57.55 in the 200 free. Previously, McLaughlin's best time was a 1:58.00 from earlier this season.

[U]50 FREESTYLE[/U]

After winning the 100m freestyle on Friday night, Abbey Weitzeil came home swinging once more to claim the sprint freestyle crown with a 25.19 victory in the final.

That came after Weitzeil was a 25.15 in prelims.

Tonight, it was Weitzeil against the clock, putting together a run-away victory over the rest of the field. Roadrunner Aquatics' Stanzi Moseley was second behind Weitzeil in 26.01. Eva Merrell, 15, from the Aquazot Swim Club put up a strong effort for third, swimming to a 26.07.

http://swimswam.com/katie-mclaughlin-swims-top-25-world-ranking-in-the-200-freestyle-at-smoc/

[COLOR="#696969"][U]bobo gigi[/U] : Great meet so far for Katie McLaughlin. She swims best times not tapered.
Last year at the same meet she was in 56.73 in the 100 free, 2.03.52 in the 200 free, 59.79 in the 100 fly and 2.10.58 in the 200 fly.
At this year's meet so far, 55.05 in the 100 free (not 55.30 Mitch), 1.57.55 in the 200 free and 2.07.93 in the 200 fly.
It shows how much she has improved over the last year.
I like more and more her 200 free. I believe she can quickly become a key element of the US 4X200 free relay and overall of the US women's team.

Abbey Weitzeil was in 25.37 and 55.44 last year at the same meet. This year 25.15 and 54.42

Bad news.
I've just remarked that the women's 200 fly final will be on the same evening as the women's 4X200 free relay final at world championships. And it was the same in London 2012.
It's not good at all for Katie McLaughlin and the perspective of the relay. �� �� �� ��
Suddenly I hate that schedule! ��[/COLOR]

-------
BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842510086 said:

-------

[COLOR="#B22222"][SIZE=5][U]Katie McLaughlin[/U] posts 10th-ranked 200 fly time in the world at SMOC prelims[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/katie-mclaughlin-posts-10th-ranked-200-fly-time-in-the-world-at-smoc-prelims/

U.S. National Teamer Katie McLaughlin had a huge swim in this morning's prelims at the Fran Crippen Swim Meet of Champions, going 2:07.93 in the [U]200 fly[/U].

That time vaults the 17-year-old into a tie for 10th place in our World Rankings for this year: http://swimswam.com/ranking/2014-2015-lcm-women-200-fly/

McLaughlin is competing in front of a home crowd, representing her longtime club, the Mission Viejo Nadadores in what is perhaps her final season before leaving Mission Viejo for the University of California. (McLaughlin is set to become a Cal Bear next fall, [U]but could defer her enrollment to stay at Mission Viejo through the 2016 Olympic Trials[/U]).

This morning's time is the second-best long course meter 200 fly of McLaughlin's career, and even faster than she went in taking second at last summer's U.S. National Championships.

That runner-up finish would earn the high schooler a spot on the U.S. roster for the 2015 World Championships, where McLaughlin will join Cammile Adams in representing the U.S.

Going 2:07.93 at this point in the season has to be a big momentum boost for McLaughlin heading into her first long course World Championships. She was within a second of her lifetime-best (2:07.08) and still has another crack at the event in tonight's finals.

McLaughlin got to represent the U.S. at last summer's Pan Pacific Championships, and that's where she set that personal-best. Her Pan Pacs time also stands just twelve one-hundredths of a second off the 17-18 National Age Group record of 2:06.96 set by Kathleen Hersey in 2008. It would take a major drop for McLaughlin to get that record tonight, but it's certainly not out of the question. And with momentum clearly on her side, it appears that record could be in major jeopardy come Worlds later on this summer.

-------

[COLOR="#FF8C00"][SIZE=5]McLaughlin delivers world-ranked surprise in prelims[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/mission-79509-trademark-one.html

-------

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------

Not unbiased, but it's a coin flip as to whether KM should defer or not. If she's in the top six in the 200 free, she's on the team via relay. Top four, she's on the finals relay. Top two, she gets to compete for an individual medal. Very well positioned now for the relay, but not a given she'll beat Missy, Ledecky, Manuel, Schmitt, etc to get into the top two.

She's second in the 200 fly and third in the 100 fly. Good chance to make the team in both events. Has a chance to add another relay medal if she makes the team in the 100 fly.

Gut feeling is that she does defer so she can train LCM all season. Would hurt the Bears' chances to repeat in 2016 and would mean that Teri could only add 2 high end 2016 recruits to Abbey and KM.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842510434 said:

Not unbiased, but it's a coin flip as to whether KM should defer or not. If she's in the top six in the 200 free, she's on the team via relay. Top four, she's on the finals relay. Top two, she gets to compete for an individual medal. Very well positioned now for the relay, but not a given she'll beat Missy, Ledecky, Manuel, Schmitt, etc to get into the top two.

She's second in the 200 fly and third in the 100 fly. Good chance to make the team in both events. Has a chance to add another relay medal if she makes the team in the 100 fly.

Gut feeling is that she does defer so she can train LCM all season. Would hurt the Bears' chances to repeat in 2016 and would mean that Teri could only add 2 high end 2016 recruits to Abbey and KM.

Definitely torn between two very wildly conflicting emotions here!

Really really would love to welcome Katie to the Bears family for the [U]2015-2016 season[/U] as this would present our best opportunity to repeat, even with losing a strong senior class, with Missy turning pro and with Abbey already having announced that she will defer.

2016-2017 (and beyond) might present a tougher proposition, with Ledecky starting on the farm, UGA reloading with $$$ to throw around, and Pac-12 teams like U$C & UofA building a threatening base of recruiting talent (if more in depth than top end, but the aggregate scoring potential is what really matters @ NCAAs). Would also, as BD had pointed out, lead to less scholly funds remaining to chase after the brightest 2016 prospects if both Katie & Abbey were to start @ Cal that same year.

OTOH with KM's swimming blossoming at an even more accelerated rate than many had originally anticipated (though shouldn't be all that much of a surprise, our baby :bear: is THAT talented!), perhaps it would serve her Olympics aspirations better if she elected to follow Ledecky & Abbey's path, i.e. postpone the rigours of adjusting to the considerable classroom challenges and a completely new training/academic/social environment, not to mention coping with the massively demanding schedule of chasing after yet another NCAA Championship title, in order to focus fully on preparations for Rio.

Whilst training under a famed Olympics/National Head coach of Teri's stature, and alongside past/present & future Olympians, offers a plethora of undeniable advantages, guess that if Katie's current coach & club team can offer a comparable level of training that's specifically geared towards the highest level of international competition in the sports, then it would make some sense for KM to stay in her comfort zone and a familiar environment, free of the distractions of exams and collegiate racing, in order to concentrate exclusively on LCM training.

It's really a pity IMO that for a multitude of reasons the NCAA format has remained in the Short Course Yards format, which is after all quite alien & incomprehensible to just about every other country, and which has been touted as not being too conducive to developing the long-term skills which are essential to competing at the highest level in Long Course Meters on the global stage (well, other than acquiring killer underwaters naturally).

But, admittedly for very selfish reasons, I will confess to getting irrationally pumped up every time that there are any wee scraps of news/rumours/gossip which may indicate that Katie's intending to stick to her original plans and represent Cal this season (the above tweets, her mention of attending Orientation Week...). After all, KM was our very first commit for the Class of 2015, and I'm sure she'd wish to reunite with her bestie Kathleen ASAP :p Who btw hasn't given any signs of deferment even tho she's another strong Rio hopeful, so keeping me fingers crossed there as well ...

Go Dream Class 2015! :cheer

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
tedbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842510454 said:

It's really a pity IMO that for a multitude of reasons the NCAA format has remained in the Short Course Yards format, which is after all quite alien & incomprehensible to just about every other country, and which has been touted as not being too conducive to developing the long-term skills which are essential to competing at the highest level in Long Course Meters on the global stage (well, other than acquiring killer underwaters naturally).

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Yup, college swimming still in the dark ages.
BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842510454 said:

2016-2017 (and beyond) might present a tougher proposition, with Ledecky starting on the farm, UGA reloading with $$$ to throw around, and Pac-12 teams like U$C & UofA building a threatening base of recruiting talent (if more in depth than top end, but the aggregate scoring potential is what really matters @ NCAAs). Would also, as BD had pointed out, lead to less scholly funds remaining to chase after the brightest 2016 prospects if both Katie & Abbey were to start @ Cal that same year.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

As noted, 2016 will be Cal's best chance to win another NCAA title because of the rosters among the big three. Certainly wouldn't write off any of the next three seasons, but do think 2016 is the best chance.

OTOH KM likely has 2 Olympics. She'd be 27 in 2024, which may be too late. She should peak in 2020. Has a outside chance for 4 medals (100 fly, 200 fly, 400 medley relay, 800 free relay) in 2016. If that happened, she wouldn't go pro immediately, but would likely only swim 3 years for Cal. Her focus should be on 2020 and any 2016 experience/medals would be gravy.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

[COLOR="#006400"][SIZE=3]Event 23 Women Open 100 LC Meter Butterfly[/SIZE]

=== Preliminaries ===

[U]Name, Age - Seed - Prelims[/U]

1 Katie McLaughlin, 17 - 58.77 - [U]58.50[/U]
2 Kendyl Stewart, 20 - 57.98 - [U]59.00[/U]
3 Noemie Thomas, 19 - 58.08 - [U]1:00.20[/U]
4 Eva Merrell, 15 - 1:00.11 - [U]1:01.41[/U]
5 Amy Okada, 16 - 1:01.57 - [U]1:01.73[/U]
6 Ella Eastin, 18 - 1:01.66 - [U]1:01.84[/U]
7 Michelle Cefal, 19 - 1:00.01 - [U]1:02.18[/U]
8 Sonia Wang, 18 - 1:01.40 - [U]1:02.79[/U][/COLOR]

-------
Another lifetime best for Katie, this time in the 100 Fly!!

Her [U]58.50[/U] PB here is significant as it came in prelims! Katie's previous best of 58.77 was achieved in full-taper mode at 2014 Pan Pacs last August, a time which she had since matched Jan 2015.

If KM can beat Kendyl Stewart and dip below 58 seconds in finals tonight, will be quite telling since the Trojan flyer was the fastest American in this event last summer (57.82 PB from 2014 Pan Pacs)... Kendyl will be representing Team USA in the [U]100 Fly[/U] at Worlds this August, alongside Claire Donahue (57.42 PB from London 2012, recent fastest was a 58.03 from 2014 Nationals).

Noemie might have a thing or two to say in this evening's sessions, as her PB is 57.96 from the 2013 edition of SMOC, also boasts a 58.08 from her more recent 2015 Canadian Trials...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
:gobears:

-------
[COLOR="#FF0000"]UPDATE ->[/COLOR] Yay, Katie killed it in this evening's finals @ SMOC - her [U]57.87[/U] is a new PB, 10th fastest time in the world for this year I believe, and currently the fastest American in this event for 2015!!! :acclaim:

Noemie came in 3rd, a very respectable in-season swim.

Kendyl's 58.05 places her at #13 globally.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="#FF8C00"][SIZE=3]Event 23 Women Open 100 LC Meter Butterfly[/SIZE]

=== A - Final ===

[U]Name, Age - Prelims - Finals[/U]

1 Katie McLaughlin, 17 - 58.50 - [U]57.87[/U]
2 Kendyl Stewart, 20 - 59.00 - [U]58.05[/U]
3 Noemie Thomas, 19 - 1:00.20 - [U]59.02[/U]
4 Ella Eastin, 18 - 1:01.84 - [U]1:01.09[/U]
5 Eva Merrell, 15 - 1:01.41 - [U]1:01.16[/U] [/COLOR]

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842510518 said:

[COLOR="#FF0000"]UPDATE ->[/COLOR] Yay, Katie killed it in this evening's finals @ SMOC - her [U]57.87[/U] is a new PB, 10th fastest time in the world for this year I believe, and currently the fastest American in this event for 2015!!! :acclaim:

Noemie came in 3rd, a very respectable in-season swim.

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#006699"]Katie McLaughlin Breaks Into Top 10 in 100 Fly[/COLOR][/SIZE]

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/katie-mclaughlin-breaks-into-top-10-in-100-fly/

-------
btw, better watch out Liz/Boots/Kathleen/Amy: you may have some unanticipated competition in vying for a spot on the backstroke leg of Cal's medley relay teams this coming season (assuming KM won't be deferring for Rio that is).

Katie won the B final of the [U]100 Back[/U] just now, and also swam backstroke in her [U]50 Free[/U] A final yesterday... she also dabbled as Mission Viejo Nadadores' go-to breaststroker on their B team in the [U]400 Medley Relay[/U]! :rollinglaugh:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------

Katie McLaughlin - [COLOR="#696969"]28 June[/COLOR]
V sentimental rn...last meet as a Nadadore. Perf sunset with my girl syd runnin in her tech suit [SIZE=5]����[/SIZE]

-------
Finally, Swimswam's reports show up...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#FF0000"]McLaughlin, Licon go lifetime-bests on final night of SMOC[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Katie McLaughlin and Will Licon capped off the 2015 Fran Crippen Swim Meet of Champions with a lifetime-best each en route to individual wins.

McLaughlin, the 17-year-old swimming for the host club Mission Viejo, won the 100 fly to open the night. Her 57.87 was a new 17-18 National Age Group record, and she becomes the first U.S. junior to break 58 in the event.

That time will also rank her inside the top 10 in the world this year.

McLaughlin will compete in the 200 fly for the United States at Worlds in Kazan, Russia.

http://swimswam.com/mclaughlin-licon-go-lifetime-bests-on-final-night-of-smoc/

-------

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#FF0000"]Katie McLaughlin brings 100 fly NAG below 58 at SMOC[/COLOR][/SIZE]

17-year-old Katie McLaughlin broke the 17-18 National Age Group record in the 100 meter fly Saturday night, taking the mark below 58 seconds for the first time ever.

McLaughlin was just off the record in prelims, going 58.50 the old bar was set at 58.41 from Felicia Lee in 2010. Lee, of course, would go on to a stellar NCAA career with Stanford including several NCAA-winning and American record-breaking relays. The 17-year-old McLaughlin will swim for Stanford's Pac-12 rival California.

Currently, though, she swims for coach Bill Rose and the Mission Viejo Nadadores of Southern California. Mission Viejo is hosting the Fran Crippen Swim Meet of Champions (also known as SMOC) this weekend, and it was there, in her home pool, that McLaughlin set the record.

McLaughlin was 57.87 to both win the event and set the record. In the process, she beat some huge names, including USC standout and U.S. National Teamer Kendyl Stewart, McLaughlin's future Cal teammate Noemie Thomas and incoming Stanford freshman Ella Eastin.

What's really interesting is that McLaughlin actually outpaced the old record mostly in the first 50, despite being better known as a 200 flyer who will swim only that distance at World Championships this summer.

McLaughlin beat Lee's old split at the 50-mark by about four tenths, and was also faster by a tenth in the back half.

[U]Splits Comparison[/U]
2015 McLaughlin: 27.34/30.53 = 57.87
2010 Lee: 27.76/30.65 = 58.41

http://swimswam.com/katie-mclaughlin-brings-100-fly-nag-below-58-at-smoc/

-------

Tim Hanson - [COLOR="#696969"]28 June[/COLOR]
Gonna miss this champ next year. Go kill it at world champs doornut [SIZE=5]����[/SIZE] @KatieMcLaugh1in

-------

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#3399cc"]The Depth of Katie Ledecky's Dominance; Katie McLaughlin Continues to Surge[/COLOR][/SIZE]

http://www.swimvortex.com/the-depth-of-katie-ledeckys-dominance-katie-mclaughlin-continues-to-surge/

-------

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#006699"]Swimmers Shine at 2015 TYR Fran Crippen Memorial Swim Meet of Champions[/COLOR][/SIZE]

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/swimmers-shine-at-2015-tyr-fran-crippen-memorial-swim-meet-of-champions/

-------

USA Swimming Stats - [COLOR="#696969"]29 June[/COLOR]
To make this list is not easy. To move up even harder. The girls 17-18 [U]100 Fly[/U] Top 10 All-Time Katie McLaughlin 57.87

-------

Katie McLaughlin - [COLOR="#696969"]5 July[/COLOR]
I got a pic with Miss America last night!! [SIZE=4]���� ��[/SIZE]

-------
BearDevil
Long course season is far from over, but for now KM looks to have a higher 2016 ceiling than Abbey. Abbey has a chance to make the team in the 50/100 and a 400 free relay swimmer. Kinda doubt she's in the top two in the 50/100, but she's likely in the top six in the 100 so she makes the relay.

2016 Bears can win another title without Abbey or KM, but gets a little more dicey without both. Ironically, Abbey's more valuable to Cal than KM, but she had the lower 2016 Olympic ceiling.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842510620 said:

Abbey has a chance to make the team in the 50/100 and a 400 free relay swimmer. Kinda doubt she's in the top two in the 50/100, but she's likely in the top six in the 100 so she makes the relay.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Missy (53.36) & Simone (53.25) have up-to-this-point-in-time been clearly in a class of their own domestically when it comes to the [U]100m Free[/U] in the current era. No other American has come within half a second of their times in this event...in a [U]textile[/U] suit, that is - not considering the 2008-2009 "rubber suit aided" period here!

AFAIK, the only other swimmers from this country who have managed to dip below the 54 sec barrier are Shannon Vreeland (53.83), Jessica Hardy (53.86), Megan Romano (53.90) & Allison Schmitt (53.94).

Natalie has come close (54.04), as has a tightly-bunched pack that includes Amanda Weir (54.14), Lia Neal (54.15) & Margo Geer (54.17). May have missed a few others.

Abbey (54.38) IMO has the biggest upside of the group, considering that the lifetime bests of most of these veterans were achieved a number of years back. If our baby :bear: can reproduce a comparable degree of improvement in long course racing that she had wowed the short course scene with in shattering Simone's [U]100 yards Free[/U] American record (since then reclaimed by the furd superstar freshie @ NCAAs), then Abbey should be in the same conversation as Missy & Simone when it comes to the fave candidates for the two [U]100m Free[/U] individual slots @ Rio, and perhaps a prelims anchor leg stint in the [U]400 Medley Relay[/U] to boot!

Actually the country could really do with Abbey coming into her own non too soon, since the US women have lagged behind the top sprint nations for a while now, with the gap threatening to widen even further. Competition in the 100 Free has grown ever fiercer - 14 swimmers broke the 54 sec barrier in 2013, 17 in 2014, and 13 this year before Worlds had even taken place.

Team USA will be facing the daunting top end 1-2 knockout punch of the Campbell sisters (C1▸52.33 ... C2▸52.86) backed up by the scary depth of their Oz squadmates all at the low-to-mid 53 sec range (Emma McKeon, Mel Wright/Schlanger, Brittany Elmslie, etc.). The Aussie siblings are joined in the 52-sec club by the likes of Sarah Sjoestroem, Femke Heemskerk & Ranomi Kromowidjojo from Europe. No wonder the bookies have anointed the Australians as the overwhelming 4x100 favourites for gold in Kazan, with the Dutch as distant runner-ups.

Luckily for us, have traditionally almost always overperformed in the relays - for example, Coughlin justifying her selection in lieu of Manuel by busting out a killer 52.98 split, and Romano emulating her NCAA relay prowess by anchoring an incredible 52.60 to stun AUS for the gold, and a new AR to boot, in this relay at Barcelona 2013 Worlds!

[video=youtube;T2UcNmUBFts][/video]

Abbey of course has historically demonstrated that she has that uncanny ability to turn things up a notch when racing for her team - her fastest times seem to have come from relay duties, at 2014 Short Course Worlds (SCM), and in SCY last dec. So I have the highest hopes & confidence that Weitzeil will be able to parlay this valuable talent of hers at the highest level on the global stage in the years to come.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

BearDevil;842510620 said:

Ironically, Abbey's more valuable to Cal than KM, but she had the lower 2016 Olympic ceiling.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]True, KM's forte leans more towards long course, but she is no slouch either in the little pool. Abbey may have already shattered a few SCY American records whilst still in HS :cheer, but I think that with Teri's tutelage + some additional emphasis on Katie's underwater/walls & dryland strength conditioning, McLaughlin with all her versatility can be just as much a game changer as Weitzeil will be for Bears @ NCAAs!

SMOC results from the weekend indicates to me that Katie has grown stronger and is starting to develop some front end speed, to complement her historically pouring it on in the back half. This is an essential addition to her arsenal that will take her to the next level in the elite ranks. Relying on a killer last 15-25m alone, by conserving one's energy reserves with easy speed on the front half (similar to how her National Team mate Camille Adams paces her 200 Fly, and actually to how Missy used to swim her races back in 2011), doesn't always work optimally as a race strategy when competing against certain individuals who likes to take the race out brutally fast...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
BearDevil
Just looking at it with blue and gold lenses rather than red, white, and blue. KM adds a lot, but 2016 Bears are fine in the fly with Farida, Noemie, Bootsma, and Mau. Also have Cierra, Pelton, Baker, and Acker in the 800. Farida is terrific, but Abbey anchors 4 relays in 2016 or 2017. If Teri could only have one on the 2016 team, she'd pick Abbey over KM.

You never know who's going to peak or plateau when, so it's great to keep an eye on promising high school freshmen and sophomores, but wait as long as possible to make offers. KV peaked early and is struggling to get back. KM's making a move now. Had she been swimming at this level earlier, she would have deferred for sure. Pretty sure Abbey makes a relay with either Teri or Canyons. Will be a bummer for all involved if she defers and isn't more than "just" a relay swimmer.

Beata Nelson would add a lot, but she's off the table (if there ever was mutual interest) in 2016 if KM defers. Bears will already be overstocked in flyers and KM and Nelson have too much overlap on a team that needs back and distance more than additional fly depth,

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.