Off Topic
Sponsored by

Soccer Topics: No goalies in the USA

185,574 Views | 2951 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by OneKeg
Aunburdened
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sluggo said:

OneKeg said:

Thanks for the great posts, sluggo. I just got home from watching the absolute abomination that was the Cal-Clemson game and needed that.

Honestly, the rivalry high school soccer game I attended beforehand (4pm) in the Presidio in San Francisco was much better despite finishing 0-0. My son's HS Bay and rival International HS, very good teams, both ranked in the top 5 in North Coast fall soccer rankings, and league rivals in a well-played defensive struggle with some near misses and very physical play. Undefeated Bay now has 7 wins and 2 ties in 9 games, 2-0-1 in conference. Bay curled a free kick inches wide in the final seconds of this one.

Really looking forward to watching US vs Peru tomorrow. Can't remember ever being anywhere close to this interested in a friendly match. Hopefully we see a couple of the young guns. I could see Cavan Sullivan, at least, starting with Pulisic, McKennie and Balogun all held out of this camp as they recover from injury.

I went too. But is was for the last time until some heads roll. The current staff is fan abuse.

Sounds like a fun soccer game. I miss my soccer dad days. I have to stay healthy for the future grandchildren.

Yes, I think Sullivan could start. Or Ellis.

I haven't posted on Growls in years because I got tired of being moderated for pointing out that the emperor had no clothes while a bunch of Very Smart Homers insisted that we had the right coach in place. But seriously, every year it's the same thing (only this year the twist was the board braintrust finally admitted what was obvious years ago that the coach needed to be replaced). But then the same donors who told you for years that Wilcox was a good coach and that we just needed to buy better talent were the ones who also told you that Tosh Lupoi was the only option for coach. Mind you, these were the same donors who pushed hard for Joe Pasternack to be head coach for men's basketball or they were gonna revolt (meanwhile, he hasn't done jack **** in the Big West Conference in years).

There are two truisms about college sports that have been true forever:

1) You will never have long-term top-level success in college sports trying to outsmart the other team. Bill Walsh and Bill Belichick coming back to college football after proving they weren't dummies in the pros is all that need be said about that. You win by having more talent than the other team in at least 80-85% of every game you play and then the last 10-15% is the games you play against teams that have as much talent as you.

2) The head coach is EVERYTHING at the college level. He makes all the important decisions for your program. Who the assistants are, which recruits to go after, closing the top end guys. If you don't have a good head coach, nothing else you do is going to matter.

Meanwhile, the usual cast of characters are doing what they always do in these situations. Blaming coordinators. How many years did Cal fans think that Wilcox was the right offensive coordinator away from turning things around? I think it probably was a mistake for a first-time head coach that never was a great tactician anyway to hire two guys that were first-time coordinators. Wilcox didn't do much right as a head coach, but starting off his tenure with a very experienced staff was one thing he did that was very smart. But throw the blame where it belongs.

If Lupoi ever does succeed as a head coach, it'll be because he finally got the big-time talent that Cal hasn't had here since the beginning of Tedford's tenure. I refuse to pay attention to Cal recruiting because it's historically oversold and underdelivered. But when you run out an offensive line that returned four starters from last year's terrible offensive line, maybe you shouldn't be expecting the 9 win seasons that you expect every year, only to be massively disappointed by the end of September/early October when the bodybag games are over.
Aun "unburdened by what has been" Bear is the OG legend
- DaddyLegend 9/6/2026
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
@Aunburdened, I hear you, trust me, but let's get back on topic here.

So if it's a 4-2-3-1, what do we see? Maybe something like this?

Goalie: Freese (would not have minded Freese against Mexico, but give Schwake or even Kochen a chance here, though Kochen has some Peruvian heritage, so that might have been weird).

Right Center Back: my guy George Campbell (I think Richards was late arriving to camp)
Left Center Back: Auston Trusty
Right (outside) Fullback: Alex Freeman
Left (outside) Fullback: Peyton Miller (under the radar, but this is a bit of a shocking pick for the youth movement, to choose Miller over Antonee Robinson here)

Holding Midfielder, defensive "6": Tyler Adams
Midfielder, box-to-box "8": Yunus Musuh (going to be very interesting to see how he does)

Center Attacking Midfielder: Gio Reyna
Left Attacking Midfielder: Malik Tillman
Right Attacking Midfielder: Cavan Sullivan (obviously the most interesting player to watch here)

Striker / "False 9": Justin Ellis (another very interesting youngster)

My biggest question is: where do the goals come from? Sullivan and Tillman are kind of the only scorers in this lineup.
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gooaaaaal!!!! JUSTIN ELLIS, assisted by Gio Reyna!!

I think he heard me say that only Tillman and Sullivan can score goals in this US lineup.
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Peru ties it up. Also an header. Arguably Peyton Miller's fault.

Looking at it again, in the lead up, my guy George Campbell had the giveaway that led to that whole sequence. There's been both good and bad from Campbell, but it's only his second cap, so he's in the same boat as many of these first-timers.
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mathis Albert and Zavier Gozo in. Albert draws a penalty which Tillman converts for a 2-1 lead about 20 mins into the second half.
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Julian Hall also in and finishes for goal number three for the US! Teenagers heavily involved in all three goals. The penalty that Mathis Albert drew for the second goal may have been outside the box, but still was a good move, which we need more of. Beat your man!
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
4-1 final. Sebastian Berhalter played well after coming in and put in a long banger at 90 minutes or so.

In addition to Berhalter as a sub, Mathis Albert, Julian Hall and even Brooklyn Raines seemed to play well. Raines may actually have looked better than Yunus Musuh who had a rough match. Diego Kochen also came on as goalkeeper to start the second half and wasn't really tested, but you know what? You can argue he looked better than Matt Freese!

Cavan Sullivan with a quiet game while he was in. Reyna looked decent. Tillman and my guy George Campbell had some shaky moments but some good ones too. Auston Trusty may have been our best center back (if you consider Freeman as playing right back).

Will have to rewatch the game on my actual TV and not my phone later tonight. Of course, everything should be with a large grain of salt since it's a friendly and Peru is pretty bad, I think.
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OneKeg said:

@Aunburdened, I hear you, trust me, but let's get back on topic here.

So if it's a 4-2-3-1, what do we see? Maybe something like this?

Goalie: Freese (would not have minded Freese against Mexico, but give Schwake or even Kochen a chance here, though Kochen has some Peruvian heritage, so that might have been weird).

Right Center Back: my guy George Campbell (I think Richards was late arriving to camp)
Left Center Back: Auston Trusty
Right (outside) Fullback: Alex Freeman
Left (outside) Fullback: Peyton Miller (under the radar, but this is a bit of a shocking pick for the youth movement, to choose Miller over Antonee Robinson here)

Holding Midfielder, defensive "6": Tyler Adams
Midfielder, box-to-box "8": Yunus Musuh (going to be very interesting to see how he does)

Center Attacking Midfielder: Gio Reyna
Left Attacking Midfielder: Malik Tillman
Right Attacking Midfielder: Cavan Sullivan (obviously the most interesting player to watch here)

Striker / "False 9": Justin Ellis (another very interesting youngster)

My biggest question is: where do the goals come from? Sullivan and Tillman are kind of the only scorers in this lineup.

You nailed the formation, 100%.

Overall, very good game. So much to like. Even if Peru is bad.

Here are my thoughts:
Freese: Goal not his fault, not otherwise challenged.
Miller: I go back and forth. Has more offense than Robinson. But needs to play much more aggressively to make up for his size. I don't think he has it in him.
Trusty: I think he dropped too far in on the cross the led to the goal, second most to blame on the goal. Otherwise did not do much good or bad.
OK's Guy: Solid if a little awkward. Should be considered as a backup center back. I want to see more.
Freeman: Great, except that he is most to blame for the goal by not pressuring the crosser. Was born to play center back, I hope he ends up there some day. Ready for the top 3 in Spain or the Premier League.
Adams: So sick of his Russell Wilson act, he is always playing to the camera. We can do better.
Musah: Nice to see him back. I thought he was good as the engine of the team.
Reyna: Finally appears fit and has gotten some of his athleticism back. He is a magnificent player and should be a starter when not injured.
Tilman: Dangerous as a winger, but also can play Musah's engine position. Should be a locked in starter. Not sure what that means for McKennie.
Sullivan: Already one of the five most dangerous passers in USMNT history. (I really think the most dangerous, but I am trying to avoid hyperbole.). Could have been more selfish. His dribble game will have to go up a level, these are not MLS defenders. At 16 thinks the game better than anyone we have ever had, he is a soccer genius.
Eliis: Beautiful goal. Never loses confidence. Orlando deserves some kind of fine for keeping him and Freeman down for so many years. I think he is ready for the Premier League.
Albert: The penalty was outside the box. Looked confident and good. Needs to get faster.
Berhalter: Has some skill. Had a banger. Good player for bad competition, not up to top competition.
Gozo: Flew too close to the sun. Needs to rebuild his confidence. If you could put his athleticism in Albert's body you would have a world class winger.
Hall: Goal was lucky bouncing off his knee. But with so many guys setting up plays, has a role, maybe, as a guy who finishes plays, which is his only skill.
Robinson: Was himself.
Raines: Looked like he belonged but that was after Peru had given up. I want to see more.
Westfield: Existed. As he usually does.
Pierre: Won a duel and had a line breaking pass. Should become a starter soon.
Mehmeti: Made a couple nice passes. Needs a start. Can attack and defend and hopefully takes Adams' place.
Kochen: Not tested, but did look very quick. I want to see more.

Last, I am sick of almost every game in a red state with either bad weather, a bad field or both. I was in Seattle and there were literally millions of people on the street. Portland would be the same. I am going to try to not let this get to me. It is not the players fault. But I am looking at you, Furd grad, JT Batson.
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I agree with most of your analysis. Couple quibbles:

Quote:

Freese: Goal not his fault, not otherwise challenged.


I disagree a bit with this. It was a long, looping in-swinging cross from the defensive right side. Agree that Freeman should have challenged the crosser, and the initial give-away leading to the sequence was my guy George Campbell. Peyton Miller should have stayed goal/center-side and gotten a body on the scorer, or maybe Trusty should have cut him off as you said. So the goal is not directly Freese's fault, but he had a chance IMO, if he reacted quickly, to charge out, cut in front and punch the ball away to the left side. He did not react quickly.

Furthermore, I think Freese was challenged - by the ball at his feet. You called my guy Campbell awkward, but Freese makes Campbell look like Vini. Freese made multiple shaky passes with his feet during the first half. I thought Kochen looked much more fluid and comfortable playing the ball with his feet in the second half.

Quote:

Hall: Goal was lucky bouncing off his knee. But with so many guys setting up plays, has a role, maybe, as a guy who finishes plays, which is his only skill.


Well, it wasn't exactly some high skill goal by Julian Hall there - agreed. Very good cross by Berhalter, and what I would say is: in that situation, Hall just has to get some part of his body on it, while being jostled (and perhaps dragged down) by the defender running with him to the far post. Good job getting a knee to it. That's a poacher's job. I think you might be underselling it slightly by painting it as a lucky ricochet. Get a body part to the ball under duress and full run there, and it is very likely to go in - Hall did that.

I also think Trusty had a little better game overall than you said, and Musuh a worse game than you said, especially in the second half.

I also was not as bothered by Tyler Adams as you seem to be. I do think Adri Mehmeti starts next game (per your wish) against Chile and Adams rests to be ready for Mexico. Not sure if Mehmeti plays the "6" or the "8" and who plays alongside him at holding midfielder. Perhaps start Berhalter as an "8" as a reward for the goal and the assist, then later in the game, sub in Raines at the "6" and Musuh at the "8"?
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OneKeg said:

I agree with most of your analysis. Couple quibbles:

Quote:

Freese: Goal not his fault, not otherwise challenged.


I disagree a bit with this. It was a long, looping in-swinging cross from the defensive right side. Agree that Freeman should have challenged the crosser, and the initial give-away leading to the sequence was my guy George Campbell. Peyton Miller should have stayed goal/center-side and gotten a body on the scorer, or maybe Trusty should have cut him off as you said. So the goal is not directly Freese's fault, but he had a chance IMO, if he reacted quickly, to charge out, cut in front and punch the ball away to the left side. He did not react quickly.

Furthermore, I think Freese was challenged - by the ball at his feet. You called my guy Campbell awkward, but Freese makes Campbell look like Vini. Freese made multiple shaky passes with his feet during the first half. I thought Kochen looked much more fluid and comfortable playing the ball with his feet in the second half.

Quote:

Hall: Goal was lucky bouncing off his knee. But with so many guys setting up plays, has a role, maybe, as a guy who finishes plays, which is his only skill.


Well, it wasn't exactly some high skill goal by Julian Hall there - agreed. Very good cross by Berhalter, and what I would say is: in that situation, Hall just has to get some part of his body on it, while being jostled (and perhaps dragged down) by the defender running with him to the far post. Good job getting a knee to it. That's a poacher's job. I think you might be underselling it slightly by painting it as a lucky ricochet. Get a body part to the ball under duress and full run there, and it is very likely to go in - Hall did that.

I also think Trusty had a little better game overall than you said, and Musuh a worse game than you said, especially in the second half.

I also was not as bothered by Tyler Adams as you seem to be. I do think Adri Mehmeti starts next game (per your wish) against Chile and Adams rests to be ready for Mexico. Not sure if Mehmeti plays the "6" or the "8" and who plays alongside him at holding midfielder. Perhaps start Berhalter as an "8" as a reward for the goal and the assist, then later in the game, sub in Raines at the "6" and Musuh at the "8"?

I think we watch the game differently. Because it is a friendly I am watching what skills players are showing, you are watching how they actually play. So we are both kind of right in our own way.

You said Reyna was "decent" and Sullivan "quiet." Sullivan was both quiet in terms of influencing the game and magical in his incisive passing. (And for a 16-year-old off the freaking charts.). I think you are wrong about Reyna who was great both in the game andin what he showed. He is starting every week in France, I hope it keeps up.

I don't think one should compare a goalie to a field player in terms of confidence on the ball. I just don't remember either goalie playing so much with their feet. Kochen is from Barca, so it is a given he is good with his feet. What I loved was how quick he was off the line, world-class quick, I think. He is a little small, but not David Raya small. If he can stop shots, a big if, then he should become the #1. I think Campbell projects awkwardness and lack of confidence. He was not under much pressure so he played fine. The giveaway should not have led to a goal but I think Freeman gave the crosser too much space. I am not sure if any goalie could have knocked that cross away, but you could be right.

Hall made a nice run and a nice slide. But getting it off your knee means it missed your foot so I think it was lucky. Either way, there are more table setters than finishers on the team, so a finisher other than Balogun is welcome.

I liked Musah's best plays where he progressed the ball up the field. But maybe his average play was not as good, I don't know.

Mehmeti (Modri) is a #6 and only a #6. Berhalter is for playing Honduras and El Salvador. I don't want to see him starting against anyone. I think Raines is a 6/8 who I would like to see more of to see if he is a backup option. My dislike of Adams is not totally rational, but it will not go away. I can't wait to see him gone.
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2018 was the low point in the program. Other than a young Pulisic, who was already the best player, there was little else. This is not the first team squad for the last game against Peru, but still it is shocking to see the players.
Sargent-Still around and in his 20s playing in MLS and not likely to be called again.
Amon-Had a run of form in Scandinavia, came here and showed he was not at the level.
Acosta-Decent midfielder, MLS lifer
Delgado-Less than decent MLS lifer
Weah-On the upswing then, his USMNT career is likely over.
Trapp-Oy.
Sweat-I think this was his only game, was so obscure I can't say anything else.
Long-Decent CB until a debilitating injury.
Carter-Vickers-Plays next to Trusty at Celtic, won't get called again.
Cannon-Had a run at right back, went to Europe and was not really heard from again.
Guzan-Was #1 keeper I think for a few years until age got him.

Tonigt's team beats them by 5-10 goals.

OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I will concede that both Reyna and Sullivan looked better than I had thought on my rewatch. And I already didn't think either one was bad at all. Sullivan especially in Q2 (second part of the first half).

I think you are exactly right that Kochen comes off his line well, which is one thing Freese really does not do. He was rooted to his goal line on the Peru goal (not letting that go). But I think you are also underselling how bad Freese is with his feet. Inaccurate passes, lack of confidence.

I'm not even saying Kochen is amazing with his feet, but he makes those plays look easy and unremarkable and looks confident doing so, at least to me. As any good goalie should. So we say Kochen was not challenged, but I think Freese would have frantically booted 50-50 balls in a couple of those second half situations. Now, we just have to see if Kochen can make saves and go up aerially. I would like to see him start against Chile at least. If he starts letting in howlers, at least we'll know early, but if he doesn't… maybe, just maybe he is the solution at goalie.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.