Breaking News

978,337 Views | 11764 Replies | Last: 15 min ago by movielover
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The new Libertarian President of Argentina Javier Milei is driving the Liberals mad with his plans to axe complete government departments... upwards of half. Which would help reign in costs. What a task.

dajo9
I remember being in Spain 6 months after 9/11 and while eating a meal, minding my own business, the waitress stopped by to tell me that the attack on 9/11 was nothing compared to what the U.S. had done to Argentina in imposing a fixed dollar exchange rate on them. The new Argentinian President sounds like he wants to reinstate the old conservative (what conservatives and their leftist dupes like to call neoliberal) models that have failed them before.

This time, don't cry for Argentina. They'll do it to themselves.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
bearister

When you look like this and you are the leader of a Latin American country….. your life expectancy is just south of a medic's on Normandy Beach.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

movielover said:

Lawsuit
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24172809-x-v-media-matters-complaint-filestamped-1

Hooray for free speech, except when we disagree with it!

Suing for defamation and a coordinated effort to use manipulation and lies to cause financial and personal damage is not disagreeing with free speech.
X/Twitter/Elon Musk wouldn't be prone to Media Matters manipulation (if it happened) if they weren't allowing pro-Nazi and other racist content unlimited access to their platform.
oski003

oski003 said:

movielover said:

Lawsuit
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24172809-x-v-media-matters-complaint-filestamped-1

Suing for defamation and a coordinated effort to use manipulation and lies to cause financial and personal damage is not disagreeing with free speech.
X/Twitter/Elon Musk wouldn't be prone to Media Matters manipulation (if it happened) if they weren't allowing pro-Nazi and racist content unlimited access to their platform.

X/Twitter/Elon Musk does not allow pro-Nazi and racist content unlimited access to their platform.
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

oski003 said:

movielover said:

Lawsuit

X/Twitter/Elon Musk wouldn't be prone to Media Matters manipulation (if it happened) if they weren't allowing pro-Nazi and racist content unlimited access to their platform.

X/Twitter/Elon Musk does not allow pro-Nazi and racist content unlimited access to their platform.
Media Matters claimed that ads were placed next to pro-Nazi and racist content. X/Linda Yaccarino, in movielover's post upthread, aren't denying that the pro-Nazi and racist content exists, just saying that no one was shown mainstream business ads next to that content.
oski003

oski003 said:

oski003 said:

movielover said:

Lawsuit

Media Matters claimed that ads were placed next to pro-Nazi and racist content. X/Linda Yaccarino, in movielover's post upthread, aren't denying that the pro-Nazi and racist content exists, just saying that no one was shown mainstream business ads next to that content.

Yes, pro-Nazi and racist content exists on X, just like GFR's anti-white content exists on X. Neither are unlimited.
tequila4kapp
If you believe in free speech you get abhorrent speech from unsavory people.

If you believe in censorship you try to define "truth" so you know what speech to quash.

If you are a partisan hack you manipulate data to financially hurt a company that won't kowtow to your demands.
bearister
" If you believe in censorship you try to define "truth" …"

I first read about the concept of "defining truth" in Orwell's 1984 when I was in high school.

"Defining truth" didn't become a thing in this country until the rise of Fox News and tRumpism, when the truth started interfering with agendas and narratives.

Truth: "the body of real things, events, and facts : ACTUALITY"
tequila4kapp
I don't really care who started it, I'm just opposed to it. It's foundationally opposite to my core 1st Amendment beliefs.
Unit2Sucks
tequila4kapp said:

I don't really care who started it, I'm just opposed to it. It's foundationally opposite to my core 1st Amendment beliefs.
Why doesn't MMFA receive the benefit of your "core" 1st amendment beliefs? What about the advertisers who were promised by Twitter that their brand ads wouldn't appear next to abhorrent content? Did you oppose all of the conservatives who absolutely lost their minds when Bud Light sent an influencer a few cans of personalized beer? Did you oppose those expressions of criticism, or only expressions of criticism of Twitter hosting vile content that may be seen along side advertisements from brands who don't have any interest in being associated with nazis, et al.?

Elno is trying to suppress free speech from MMFA while claiming to protect free speech for others. He likes the abhorrent free speech (literally, as he frequently amplifies it, but also generally because it's good for his business) and has taken a decidedly oppositional approach to speech which he doesn't like.

Here is what MMFA said in their article (which wasn't even hosted on Twitter) and caused Elno to launch an anti-speech lawsuit.
Quote:

The company's placements come after CEO Linda Yaccarino claimed that brands are "protected from the risk of being next to" toxic posts on the platform.

Yaccarino has been trying to bring advertisers back to the platform by claiming it's safe for business. She's also claimed that X (formerly Twitter) has been "demonstrating its absolute commitment to combating antisemitism on the platform" and that "antisemitism is evil and X will always work to fight it on our platform."
People paying attention will note that it doesn't matter whether or not MMFA "manipulated" Twitter's platform to generate these unlikely ad / content pairings. Twitter promised advertisers that their content wouldn't be seen next to abhorrent content and MMFA proved that to be wrong. Twitter hasn't challenged this at all - in fact they admitted that it happened.

Advertisers have the freedom to choose where to run their ads. It should surprise absolutely no one that they don't want to have their brands associated with vile content - that's why every right wing social media business fails - no one other than My Pillow wants anything to do with the sort of garbage they traffic in.

It's a pathetic lawsuit and anyone who champions free speech should oppose this abuse of our legal system in order to chill speech they don't like.
tequila4kapp
Bud light had the right to do the cans. Free expression. They had the right to have an employee disparage their consumers. Free expression. Those consumers had the right to buy other products. Freedom of choice, if not (economic) expression.

MM had the right to call out that Nazi imagery could be placed next to an ad. If it stopped there I'd be sympathetic to MM. But it allegedly didn't stop there. They allegedly manipulated data for obvious negative economic effect on X. That matters. It's the modern equivalent to yelling "Fire!" when you are alone in your own house vs doing so in a crowded theatre.

Also, it's worth noting none of these entities are governments so the 1st Amendment doesn't apply.
movielover
History Legends slams new Napoleon movie. Lots of mistakes for $200 Million.

dajo9
movielover said:

The new Libertarian President of Argentina Javier Milei is driving the Liberals mad with his plans to axe complete government departments... upwards of half. Which would help reign in costs. What a task.

Eastern Oregon Bear
movielover said:

On YouTube, every new movie gets a rash of videos gleefully trashing it. I'm not defending Napoleon and fully expect it to be factually inaccurate because Hollywood can't help itself from "improving" history. I'm just finding the social media trend of crapping on everything to be disturbing.
dajo9
movielover said:

Haven't seen the movie yet but am excited to see it soon. Mostly I am excited that a big budget historical epic was made at all.

This critic asks, why were battle scenes better some 20, 50, 70 years ago. The answer is because audiences went to movies back then. Now it's a huge risk making a movie at all. You have to keep the audience excited to be there.
He then says the timespan is too broad and it should have been a miniseries. That's like saying we should give up on big historical epics. Maybe we should. There will always be complainers.

Then, curiously this critic starts talking up Soviet films as a better approach. Use more extras like the Soviet moviemaker did for War and Peace in the 1960s (the Soviet army provided 10,000 extras at a cost of $60 million in today's dollars) or for the 1970 Waterloo (a box office flop). Why are we even pretending Soviet movies should be even mentioned alongside Hollywood?

Tired of all these internet nobodies trying to hype up the Soviet era. Where does it come from? We all know.
bearister
A good companion film for Napoleon is one of Ridley Scott's early directorial efforts, the Duellists (1977), starring Keith Carridine and a very intense Harvey Keitel. The film is also set in France during Napoleonic times.

The Duellists (1977) - IMDb

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075968/

*….and speaking about extras, 50,000 were used on Stanley Kubrick's Spartacus (1960) starring Kirk Douglas.

movielover
I saw it last night. He makes some great points. Scene after scene of a large line of soldiers rushing the other side. No strategy. Or Egypt thrown into the mix.
Cal88
dajo9 said:

movielover said:

Haven't seen the movie yet but am excited to see it soon. Mostly I am excited that a big budget historical epic was made at all.

This critic asks, why were battle scenes better some 20, 50, 70 years ago. The answer is because audiences went to movies back then. Now it's a huge risk making a movie at all. You have to keep the audience excited to be there.
He then says the timespan is too broad and it should have been a miniseries. That's like saying we should give up on big historical epics. Maybe we should. There will always be complainers.

Then, curiously this critic starts talking up Soviet films as a better approach. Use more extras like the Soviet moviemaker did for War and Peace in the 1960s (the Soviet army provided 10,000 extras at a cost of $60 million in today's dollars) or for the 1970 Waterloo (a box office flop). Why are we even pretending Soviet movies should be even mentioned alongside Hollywood?

Tired of all these internet nobodies trying to hype up the Soviet era. Where does it come from? We all know.

Typical combination of narrow-minded jingoism and lack of cultural erudition. Do you even know who Eisenstein or Tarkovsky are? Eisenstein defined the modern historical epic genre.

dajo9
And right on cue, Putin88 shows up. Shocker.
Unit2Sucks
dajo9 said:

I recently watched Major Grom: Plague Doctor on Netflix. It's a recent Russian movie based on a popular Russian comic book. If you are into action movies, it's pretty entertaining. It did fairly well in Russia.

I don't think it's a good testament to the independence of Russian cinema however since it's very clearly made in an American style.

I should note, the movie does have a little bit of anti-authoritarian politics (and has some side shows about Russian corruption) so it may offend the Russian shills.

I have always enjoyed watching action movies from other countries/cultures, so for me MG:PD was a great watch but it may not be for everyone.
dajo9
Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

movielover said:

Typical combination of narrow-minded jingoism and lack of cultural erudition. Do you even know who Eisenstein or Tarkovsky are? Eisenstein defined the modern historical epic genre.

Hey Cal88, since you are a Russian know-it-all, I'd like your opinion on the book Red Plenty. I found it highly interesting.
Cal88
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

movielover said:

Hey Cal88, since you are a Russian know-it-all, I'd like your opinion on the book Red Plenty. I found it highly interesting.

I am not an expert on all things Russian, it just might look that way when interacting with people whose world view is a half baked modern version of the Cold War.

Soviet-style economic planning was a failure. Bolshevik social engineering in the 20s and 30s was just as evil as the Nazi version, with similar body counts. I would refer you to the works of Solzhenitsyn, notably the Gulag Archipelgo.

You can be a critic of current US foreign and economic policies without being a fan of communism.

This being said, as bad as Soviet economic planning was, what came after it in the neoliberal shock doctrine policies of the 1990s was much worse, resulting in nearly half that country being plunged into abject poverty, complete social breakdown and the early death of an estimated 5 million people in Russia. Putin owes his popularity at home for having righted their economic and social ship.
dajo9
Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

movielover said:

I am not an expert on all things Russian, it just might look that way when interacting with people whose world view is a half baked modern version of the Cold War.

Soviet-style economic planning was a failure. Bolshevik social engineering in the 20s and 30s was just as evil as the Nazi version, with similar body counts. I would refer you to the works of Solzhenitsyn, notably the Gulag Archipelgo.

You can be a critic of current US foreign and economic policies without being a fan of communism.

This being said, as bad as Soviet economic planning was, what came after it in the neoliberal shock doctrine policies of the 1990s was much worse, resulting in nearly half that country being plunged into abject poverty, complete social breakdown and the early death of an estimated 5 million people in Russia. Putin owes his popularity at home for having righted their economic and social ship.

6 - 9 million people died in Stalin's famine but what Russia did to itself after taking bad advice from conservative ideologues was worse, according to Putin88. And Putin, who is dead, was the savior even though he benefited more than anybody from that era.

Putin88 never misses a chance to be at work.

Red Plenty is a really good book. Far from a polemic but the obvious truth does out.
Cal88
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

movielover said:

6 - 9 million people died in Stalin's famine but what Russia did to itself after taking bad advice from conservative ideologues was worse, according to Putin88. And Putin, who is dead, was the savior even though he benefited more than anybody from that era.

Putin88 never misses a chance to be at work.

Red Plenty is a really good book. Far from a polemic but the obvious truth does out.

Stalin's body count is in that range, and the Lenin-Trotsky count from the late 1910s- early 1920s is even higher, they basically did what the Khmer did to their people genociding entire classes of Russians, the entire clergy, the upper classes, the bourgeoisie and the rural "kulaks", or farmers who owned their land.

Things got a little better post-war in the Khrushchev-Brezhnev era, a period with a somewhat less repressive government (relative to the genocidal NKVD) and where the economy was quite poor but stable, providing low living standards that were still far better than the pre-war Lenin/Stalin era. The economic system was dysfunctional, but the Soviets had such large natural resources that they still managed to keep things afloat.

Then it got a lot worse for most Russians in the 1990s, a neoliberal dystopia where nearly half the country was plunged into economic despair and the social fabric completely disintegrated - crime, alcoholism, prostitution, unemployment, homelessness, premature deaths etc.

Since then Russia has largely recovered economically, it has done fairly well as a mixed economy, where the weight of the public sector in the GDP is actually lower than in the US, and the income tax rate is a flat 13%. They've made huge investments into their infrastructure and championed local industry, ironically with the help of EU/US sanctions, whose unintended consequence was the revival of many domestic industrial and economic sectors. The standards of living of Russians have been rising constantly, That is the reason why Putin has been such a popular figure at home.
movielover
movielover
Big C
movielover said:

Isn't it interesting that neither Poland nor Hungary is experiencing the economic growth indigenous to mass immigration?

Oh right, they enforce their borders and their laws, marry their similarly white cousins and hate everyone else, languishing in perpetual mediocrity. But at least brown people and non-Christians aren't competing for their crap jobs!
tequila4kapp
movielover said:

According to the Irish times the suspect is a naturalized Irish citizen who has lived in the country for 20 years. In which case the "migrant" narrative seems unfair to the point of potential racism (generally, not you specifically).
movielover
Big C said:

movielover said:

Isn't it interesting that neither Poland nor Hungary is experiencing the economic growth indigenous to mass immigration?

Oh right, they enforce their borders and their laws, marry their similarly white cousins and hate everyone else, languishing in perpetual mediocrity. But at least brown people and non-Christians aren't competing for their crap jobs!

McKinsey & Company: "Tomasz Marciniak: Poland has been one of the fastest growing economies, not only in Europe, but also globally. Over the last five years, it grew by an average of 4 percent GDP annually."

They do need to work, reportedly, on productivity, and add several million workers. Murders also fell 19% in 2022.

https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/lifting-europes-ambition/videos-and-podcasts/keeping-poland-on-course-for-growth

Hungary: "In 2022, real GDP growth was 4.6%. For more GDP information, visit our dedicated page."

https://www.focus-economics.com/country-indicator/hungary/gdp/#:~:text=GDP%20forecasts%20and%20outlook%20for%20Hungary&text=In%202022%2C%20real%20GDP%20growth,information%2C%20visit%20our%20dedicated%20page.

Germany growth 2022: 1.8% and now de-industrializing.

Sweden reportedly has over 60 crime-ridden "no go zones", which also reportedly exist in France, and are now popping up even in Dublin, Ireland. Some if these areas allegedly are run by Sharia Law.

England has the child abuse - torture, rape, and pimp "grooming gangs" which are allegedly primarily Pakistani Muslims working at takeaway shops. When a few girls came forward with horrific stories in Rotherham, the local school administrators and police turned a blind eye for over 10 years. The BBC finally covered it. Famous cases included Huddersfield, Rotherham, Rochdale, Keighley, Blackburn, Oxford, and many others.

The UK government is recently alleging there is no ethnic correlation, but is also hiding demographic studies. The once legendary British cab drivers are now racked with stories of rape; one report seven years ago alleged over 500 rapes were committed by UK cab drivers. One common theme seems to be intoxicated young women hailing a cab in early morning hours, only to be raped. I never read those stories in 1980 or 1990.

Familial abuse appears to have no ethic tilt.

dajo9
Hungary entered a recession in late 2022 that they are just coming out of. Q3 2023 GDP is lower than Q2 2022.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/think.ing.com/amp/snap/hungarian-economy-starts-to-recover/

Poland has had 2 of its last 3 quarters be negative GDP.

movielover
And more low skilled, non-native speakers who require huge amounts of welfare help that how?
dajo9
movielover said:

And more low skilled, non-native speakers who require huge amounts of welfare help that how?

I'm busy pointing out more of your lies, not making arguments about immigration.
bear2034
There are immigrants from Ukraine and Turkey living in places like Poland. What's important to distinguish is the percentage that is legal vs illegal.
Cal88
First Page Last Page
Page 249 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.