Do you see a problem? What should be done?

22,018 Views | 269 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by going4roses
GBear4Life
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

The facts:

(1)Eric Garner was notwas notkilled because he was selling loose cigarettes. He died because he was resisting arrest. The officers on the scene used such force as they deemed necessary to subdue him.

The police do not make laws. Their first duty is to enforce them. In this case, they were responding to a complaint about Garner, a man who had dozens of arrests already under his belt. If he felt that he was being hassled or arrested unfairly, then Garner had legal redress via the Civilian Complaint Review Board. The now retired Bo Dietl, perhaps the most highly decorated police officer and detective in the history of the New York City Police Department, describes the latter as a "well-oiled machine [.]"

(2)The officers did not kill Garner with a "chokehold." Officer Pantaleo placed Garner in a headlock, a move that is neither illegal nor in violation of NYPD protocols.

However, as Bo Dietl explains: "To be a chokehold, there must be constant pressure on a person's neck, compressing his windpipe or cutting off the flow of blood to the carotid artery, rendering him unconscious." Yet it is "obvious" from the video, as Dietl notes, that "the arresting officer put his arm around Garner's neck to bring him to the ground [.]" Upon achieving his objective, Garner can be heard while he is already on the ground claiming that he can't breathe. It was then that the officers called for help.

(3)The grand jury that chose not to indict Officer Pantaleo on any of the charges on which they could've indicted him was composed of 23 people. Nearly two dozen strangers were thrown together for an extended period of time and exposed to mountains of evidence of every conceivable typeincluding the eye witness testimony of the 22 or so people who witnessed the events in question, the video of the confrontation, Officer Pantaleo's own testimony, etc. Only 12 jurors were needed for an indictment to be served. The prosecutor couldn't even get that. These strangersas well versed in the facts of the case as anyone, and infinitely more so than most of those now criticizing themconcluded that the facts did not warrant an indictment of any sort.

The Daily News reports: "After four months of reviewing the evidence, a majority on the panel concluded [that] there was not enough there to charge Pantaleo with manslaughter, reckless endangerment or criminally negligent homicide.
Golden One
concordtom said:

Golden One said:

Copgoing4roses said:

So what is the problem in your opinion?
Cops are human just like the rest of us. It's unreasonable to expect them to be perfect all the time, especially when they are being threatened or harrassed by hoodlums, gang members, and others who disrespect them.

Golden1
I first thought you racist when you began defending trump's hate speak. Now that you associated the words hoodlums and gang members after the videos of blacks being trashed by white cops (as if they MUST be such types) I KNOW you are racist.

THAT assumption on your part IS racism.
Riding our world of such prejudice is a lengthy effort.

I wouldn't have thought it common for Cal graduates. Your post disgusts me.
You read things into my post that were never intended, which is not unusual for you. I made no racial references in my post, and the fact is that I never even viewed the video posted by the OP. My post was in response to the posts of Another Bear and going4roses about alleged misbehavior by cops. They also didn't mention race. I referred to cops generically (black, white, Hispanic, or Asian cops) being threatened or harassed by hoodlums, gang members and others who respect them. I did not use the word "black" before the words "hoodlums, gang members, and others who respect them". No race was stated or implied in my post. Hoodlums, gang members, and others who disrespect cops come in all colors and races. Your bringing race into the discussion only demonstrates that YOU are the racist, and this isn't the first time that you displayed racist behavior on this site. You consistently view everything through a racial lense. Please try to get beyond your "racist" obsession.
concordtom
Golden One said:

concordtom said:

Golden One said:

Copgoing4roses said:

So what is the problem in your opinion?
Cops are human just like the rest of us. It's unreasonable to expect them to be perfect all the time, especially when they are being threatened or harrassed by hoodlums, gang members, and others who disrespect them.

Golden1
I first thought you racist when you began defending trump's hate speak. Now that you associated the words hoodlums and gang members after the videos of blacks being trashed by white cops (as if they MUST be such types) I KNOW you are racist.

THAT assumption on your part IS racism.
Riding our world of such prejudice is a lengthy effort.

I wouldn't have thought it common for Cal graduates. Your post disgusts me.
You read things into my post that were never intended, which is not unusual for you. I made no racial references in my post, and the fact is that I never even viewed the video posted by the OP. My post was in response to the posts of Another Bear and going4roses about alleged misbehavior by cops. They also didn't mention race. I referred to cops generically (black, white, Hispanic, or Asian cops) being threatened or harassed by hoodlums, gang members and others who respect them. I did not use the word "black" before the words "hoodlums, gang members, and others who respect them". No race was stated or implied in my post. Hoodlums, gang members, and others who disrespect cops come in all colors and races. Your bringing race into the discussion only demonstrates that YOU are the racist, and this isn't the first time that you displayed racist behavior on this site. You consistently view everything through a racial lense. Please try to get beyond your "racist" obsession.

While I definitely concur it's easy to confuse one another on this forum, as there can be multiple conversations going back and forth within one thread, and threads overlap and borrow from one another, please take a look at the two videos directly above your post.

.... the worst kind of racism is subconscious, and denied. The best kind is open and dealt with. There is little way to not see the world thru a race lens. It is cultured in us all, and studies have shown there appears to be some innate bias toward "different" even with babies - perhaps a survival instinct. Consider these things before you next try to accuse me on nefarious behavior.
AunBear89
Dog whistles, coded words, and virtue signaling- Reich Wingers do it better than anyone. You can be racist without ever mentioning race, and you know it. Or are really as dumb as you appear?

Doesn't matter: you can be stupid and racist all at the same time.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Golden One
AunBear89 said:

You can be stupid and racist all at the same time.
Yes. You're a perfect example of that fact!
Golden One
concordtom said:

Golden One said:

While I definitely concur it's easy to confuse one another on this forum, as there can be multiple conversations going back and forth within one thread, and threads overlap and borrow from one another, please take a look at the two videos directly above your post.

.... the worst kind of racism is subconscious, and denied. The best kind is open and dealt with. There is little way to not see the world thru a race lens. It is cultured in us all, and studies have shown there appears to be some innate bias toward "different" even with babies - perhaps a survival instinct. Consider these things before you next try to accuse me on nefarious behavior.
CT, there is no "best kind" of racism. All racism, subconscious and open, is bad and should be deplored. I condemn all types of racism.
B.A. Bearacus
Golden One said:

CT, there is no "best kind" of racism. All racism, subconscious and open, is bad and should be deplored. I condemn all types of racism.
How about overt and presidential?
oski003
B.A. Bearacus said:

Golden One said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/opinion/white-house/456523-donald-trumps-no-racist-as-past-acts-and-presidential-record-prove%3famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/7/25/12270880/donald-trump-racist-racism-history
B.A. Bearacus
oski003 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Golden One said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/opinion/white-house/456523-donald-trumps-no-racist-as-past-acts-and-presidential-record-prove%3famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/7/25/12270880/donald-trump-racist-racism-history
For the sake of both of our remaining time on earth, let's just agree to disagree that we have a racist president. I acknowledge that you and all remaining Republicans on here will never believe that T is racist.
AunBear89
Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Golden One
AunBear89 said:

Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

One of these days you will grow up, but I'm not counting on it.
Golden One
B.A. Bearacus said:

Golden One said:

All kinds of racism from all sources must be condemned. But false accusations of racism for purely political objectives should also be condemned, as they make people immune to the real thing.
going4roses
Who determines is not racism and does not? And why is that important?
AunBear89
going4roses said:

Who determines is not racism and does not? And why is that important?

It's simple, really. GoldenOnenote determines. If he says it isn't racist, we'll, he should know. He's an expert!
Yogi011
oski003 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Golden One said:

Leader of Democrats for Trump. Real lack of bias there.
https://jewishbubba.blogspot.com/2017/12/andrew-j-stein-democrat-leader-of.html
GBear4Life
Golden One: all racism is bad

*Gets attacked

"progressivism" in a nutshell.
GBear4Life
AunBear89 said:

Dog whistles, coded words, and virtue signaling- Reich Wingers do it better than anyone. You can be racist without ever mentioning race, and you know it. Or are really as dumb as you appear?

Doesn't matter: you can be stupid and racist all at the same time
Guys you can be a racist without doing or saying racist s h i t! I can also make up my own definition of racism, and ascribe it to others without evidence!

I brought this up in the clown thread about diversity on the football board: there is a much higher demand for instances of racism then there is an actual supply of it. In order to get around this, mass culture has 1) created new definitions for racism; 2) concoct unfalsifiable concepts like "unconscious bias" (i.e. we're all racist, it's unavoidable) so that you can CLAIM racism without EVIDENCE of racism. It's been perhaps the most powerful cultural tool on the Left to advance their narrative in the 21st century.
AunBear89
GBear4Life said:

AunBear89 said:

Doesn't matter: you can be stupid and racist all at the same time
Guys you can be a racist without doing or saying racist s h i t! I can also make up my own definition of racism, and ascribe it to others without evidence!

I brought this up in the clown thread about diversity on the football board: there is a much higher demand for instances of racism then there is an actual supply of it. In order to get around this, mass culture has 1) created new definitions for racism; 2) concoct unfalsifiable concepts like "unconscious bias" (i.e. we're all racist, it's unavoidable) so that you can CLAIM racism without EVIDENCE of racism. It's been perhaps the most powerful cultural tool on the Left to advance their narrative in the 21st century.

Sure looks like the only ones trying to come up with alternative definitions of racism are you 'cons. Gotta find a definition that fits your narrative that "stoopid libtards" are the real racists.

What you are doing is called "projection." I'll wait here while you run to daddy to see what that means. Hint: it has nothing to do with film.
GBear4Life
AunBear89 said:

Sure looks like the only ones trying to come up with alternative definitions of racism are you 'cons. Gotta find a definition that fits your narrative that "stoopid libtards" are the real racists.

What you are doing is called "projection." I'll wait here while you run to daddy to see what that means. Hint: it has nothing to do with film.
You're free to cite our posts to support your claims here.

A few weeks ago I posted the Oxford definition of racism. Everybody went to great pains to not acknowledge that definition.

Not to mention the irony of somebody who projects all day long asserting projection in others (and of course that's what we all think the other person is doing)
going4roses
If you can not attempt to make your points(or something) in a civil manner you should run along. You are not going to sway anyone here, so stop trying (so hard) put yourself at ease and make sure you don't miss the next tiki torch gathering. You and your thoughts(thought processes) putting it lightly are what is wrong with this world(not just the US). You and your kind need to pack it up and leave. One of us wrong (as *****) and one of is right. But unfortunately I think you are too far gone see the truth beyond your nose.
Critical Thinking is not easy but it is a must at some point

C'est la vie
AunBear89
"I'm not projecting, YOU'RE projecting!"

Classic...
going4roses
LE /America has really big problem.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/19/734241210/72-philadelphia-police-officers-placed-on-desk-duty-over-offensive-social-media

Fired and Pensions lost. Lifetime ban from working in the field of LE. Policy needs to be changed!!! But first we have to change the mind state that accepts this behavior.... or can it really be separated from the foundation of this nation/republic
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
concordtom
Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

Trump would be proud of your highly advanced comeback!
LOL
concordtom
Golden One said:

concordtom said:

Golden One said:

What I meant was that subconscious racism can't be dealt with, and thus continues. When one becomes conscious of the racist biases in one's head, one can then work to retrain oneself, and rid oneself of it.
Was that not clear?

I'm glad you condemn all kinds of racism. I will point that out to you when I see you slip up in your future posts. Or perhaps I'm confusing you with several of your other Trump Zombie friends on here.
concordtom
Golden One said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Golden One said:

All kinds of racism from all sources must be condemned. But false accusations of racism for purely political objectives should also be condemned, as they make people immune to the real thing.

Oh my GOD. You accuse the Trunp racists calls as "false accusations"???
You are SO deluded!!!
concordtom
GBear4Life said:

*Gets attacked

Enter a dude who shows upon a scene where there's a fight, and throws a few blows himself just because he wants in on it. Or like a little chitzu barking at passersby.

Arf arf arf. Be scared. Arf arf arf. Me, too!
GBear4Life
concordtom said:

GBear4Life said:

*Gets attacked

Enter a dude who shows upon a scene where there's a fight, and throws a few blows himself just because he wants in on it. Or like a little chitzu barking at passersby.

[deflects illuminated issue: liberals don't actually care/and ignore racism]
BearDown2o15
Golden One said:

Anarchistbear said:

Golden One said:

Anarchistbear said:

What's the point of police? It's not- as popularly believed- to make members of a community feel safer; it's more retribution and enforcement and rarely prevents crime.
Wow! Hard to believe that any intelligent person ewould actually hold that view. I hope you're never in a situation where you have to dial 911.

Police solve nothing. They're just robots programmed to "fight crime." Nobody in minority communities are thrilled to see their so called protectors. In Orinda it's different.
You obviously feel differently, but when I see police patrolling my community, I feel comfortable and reassured. Most black people I know feel the same way.

Are you black? Or did you just use your subset of "black friends" to show that black people don't have a problem with police?

I am black and my friend was killed by a cop. Perhaps you have heard of him, his name was Philando Castile.

And guess what? He wasn't a hoodlum or whatever other word you used in previous posts to justify the brutality use against blacks people
GBear4Life
Homicide of black man makes news

Everybody: Black lives matter! Racist white supremacy.

Over 17,000 homicides a year, nearly half of the victims are black, with homicide rates increasing since 2015 mostly due to gang/street violence in Chicago and Baltimore (mostly black victims)

Everybody: ...
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

Over 17,000 homicides a year, nearly half of the victims are black, with homicide rates increasing since 2015 mostly due to gang/street violence in Chicago and Baltimore (mostly black victims)

Take away the guns.
concordtom
GBear4Life said:

concordtom said:

GBear4Life said:

*Gets attacked

[deflects illuminated issue: liberals don't actually care/and ignore racism]

Yet another page take out of Trump's book.
You have no shame.
concordtom
sycasey said:

Take away the guns.

Yes, that must be his proposal.
Interesting.
going4roses
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
calbear93
BearDown2o15 said:

Golden One said:

Anarchistbear said:

Golden One said:

Anarchistbear said:

What's the point of police? It's not- as popularly believed- to make members of a community feel safer; it's more retribution and enforcement and rarely prevents crime.
Wow! Hard to believe that any intelligent person ewould actually hold that view. I hope you're never in a situation where you have to dial 911.

Police solve nothing. They're just robots programmed to "fight crime." Nobody in minority communities are thrilled to see their so called protectors. In Orinda it's different.
You obviously feel differently, but when I see police patrolling my community, I feel comfortable and reassured. Most black people I know feel the same way.

Are you black? Or did you just use your subset of "black friends" to show that black people don't have a problem with police?

I am black and my friend was killed by a cop. Perhaps you have heard of him, his name was Philando Castile.

And guess what? He wasn't a hoodlum or whatever other word you used in previous posts to justify the brutality use against blacks people
So, what is the solution? Get rid of police and have a lawless anarchy? Train police on blind spots and racial insensitivity? Sure, who isn't for that? Not sure what anyone here is proposing.
BearlyCareAnymore
GBear4Life said:

Homicide rates hit a 50 year low in 2014. That is why all these stats point back to that date. They went up in 2015 and 2016. Went down extremely slightly in 2017. 2018 numbers aren't out yet, but preliminary numbers indicate that the rate will be down significantly.

The increase was never "mostly due" to Chicago and Baltimore.

Crime happens. We will never live in a crime free society. We should strive to limit it. Nobody is saying not to. It doesn't mean that shouldn't talk about anything else.

You are essentially making the Neil Degrasse Tyson argument.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.