COVID disappears Nov 4th?

129,073 Views | 1376 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Israel has now administered at least one vaccine dose to a remarkable 44% of its population, with the U.A.E. (26%), Seychelles (19%), U.K. (10%), Bahrain (8%) and U.S. (7%) following behind, per Our World in Data.

The flipside: Just 2% of EU residents have received their first shot, leading to consternation across the continent about the slow rollout, Axios World editor Dave Lawler writes.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
AunBear89
Yawn. Another YogiHydra. Flag and ignore.
Econ For Dummies
OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

Looking at other states gives us a basis for comparison. What we need to look at is this: Why would California's case rate explode in comparison to other states when we have the strictest measures? Any reference to fall and winter driving people inside where spread is riskiest would apply much more so to other states (they have weather; we don't).

Given these facts, why would our case rate be up so much higher than other places (it tripled in November)? At best it would seem that case rates should be expanding fairly uniformly across states, but that isn't what's happened since November. It would be interesting to find out why. My take is that a mask is a 3dB attenuator and we need to be wearing 20dB attenuators.
Because it is easier to triple a low number than a high number.

I told you this was going to happen based on the moronic behavior leading into November and the way the numbers were turning. When I said the US would be up to 1500 to 2000 deaths per day, you said no to that extremely conservative estimate and that it was fear mongering.

The Bay Area paid the price for its lapse going into Thanksgiving. It (knock on wood) seems to have peaked - last week the rates were significantly down over the prior.
Strangely, you were oh so upset about Thanksgiving (for which there is no evidence that it played any different role) but now that Newsom is ending the lockdown (for which there is no evidence that any metric has changed and his virus rollout has been a disaster), you are nowhere to be found.

IOIYAD!

I'm gonna hurry up and get a haircut and any other personal services I need to tide me over until the next time Newsom reverses himself.

Right now more than anything, I just want to see the vaccine rolled out as quickly as possible. I don't even care who gets it first now. First come first served. Get 'er done.
Anarchistbear
SFBear92 said:

OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

Looking at other states gives us a basis for comparison. What we need to look at is this: Why would California's case rate explode in comparison to other states when we have the strictest measures? Any reference to fall and winter driving people inside where spread is riskiest would apply much more so to other states (they have weather; we don't).

Given these facts, why would our case rate be up so much higher than other places (it tripled in November)? At best it would seem that case rates should be expanding fairly uniformly across states, but that isn't what's happened since November. It would be interesting to find out why. My take is that a mask is a 3dB attenuator and we need to be wearing 20dB attenuators.

I told you this was going to happen based on the moronic behavior leading into November and the way the numbers were turning. When I said the US would be up to 1500 to 2000 deaths per day, you said no to that extremely conservative estimate and that it was fear mongering.

The Bay Area paid the price for its lapse going into Thanksgiving. It (knock on wood) seems to have peaked - last week the rates were significantly down over the prior.
Strangely, you were oh so upset about Thanksgiving (for which there is no evidence that it played any different role) but now that Newsom is ending the lockdown (for which there is no evidence that any metric has changed and his virus rollout has been a disaster), you are nowhere to be found.

IOIYAD!

I'm gonna hurry up and get a haircut and any other personal services I need to tide me over until the next time Newsom reverses himself.

Right now more than anything, I just want to see the vaccine rolled out as quickly as possible. I don't even care who gets it first now. First come first served. Get 'er done.

Gavin is having his " Stop the Recall Coup Fundraiser" at Tommy's Joynt. Free corned beef for all. Masks optional
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

SFBear92 said:

OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

IOIYAD!

Gavin is having his " Stop the Recall Coup Fundraiser" at Tommy's Joynt. Free corned beef for all. Masks optional
Now that's a restaurant that might be worth breaking quarantine to visit.
BearlyCareAnymore
OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

IOIYAD!

1, There is obvious evidence Thanksgiving and the lead up was a complete cluster eff on the Covid curve. Scientists told you what would happen and it did happen. Personally, I don't think a turkey dinner was worth nearly quadrupling the death rate.
2. The hospital occupancy rates are way down and below the percentage that was set ahead of time for reducing restrictions.
3. I know it is hard for someone who keeps starting new accounts to post on a board that doesn't want him to believe, but I don't read every thread every day to respond to what every person says.
4. I'm flattered by the name choice.
BearForce2

French Laundry instead?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
BearForce2

And just like that.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
sycasey
BearForce2 said:

And just like that.
Just like that, 10 months later with two vaccines being distributed.
BearChemist
And there comes yogi's shameless self-starring tactic again. How insecure one has to be to do that? Anyways, looks like there are five more yogi midgets for the mod to deal with.
Econ For Dummies
OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

IOIYAD!

1, There is obvious evidence Thanksgiving and the lead up was a complete cluster eff on the Covid curve. Scientists told you what would happen and it did happen. Personally, I don't think a turkey dinner was worth nearly quadrupling the death rate.
2. The hospital occupancy rates are way down and below the percentage that was set ahead of time for reducing restrictions.
3. I know it is hard for someone who keeps starting new accounts to post on a board that doesn't want him to believe, but I don't read every thread every day to respond to what every person says.
I was inspired by the Dr. Seuss novel "How the annoying self-important cvnt stole Thanksgiving"
https://publicsquaremag.org/editorials/the-grinch-that-almost-stole-thanksgiving/
bearister

Data: CSSE Johns Hopkins University. Map: Axios Visuals
BearlyCareAnymore
OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

IOIYAD!

I was inspired by the Dr. Seuss novel "How the annoying self-important cvnt stole Thanksgiving"

I think it is clear who on this board needs to be the center of attention.
bearister
Backlash grows for 'selfish millionaire' who got vaccine meant for Indigenous people

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/27/rodney-baker-canada-vaccine-indigenous-first-nations-scandal?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
bearister
'Have we learned nothing?' California faces backlash for lifting stay-home order | California | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/27/covid-surge-california-lifts-stay-at-home-order
Unit2Sucks
LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Interesting article detailing a study from the European Journal of Clinical Investigation that shows that lockdowns aren't very effective: https://www.newsweek.com/covid-lockdowns-have-no-clear-benefit-vs-other-voluntary-measures-international-study-shows-1561656

Would this study have been able to be released before Biden won?

Even by your usually low standards this is an idiotic question.

By the way, the "voluntary" measures cited are considered too stringent for many of the "reasonable and intelligent people" that you love to talk about. But that didn't factor into your decision to post since, like hanky, you will post any article that makes any statement that criticizes any public health measures.
The real problem is that you won't criticize any public health measures, even if science refutes them. You give politicians way too much rope that they haven't earned. I'm confident one day you'll wake up. California's so-called public health measures, the strictest in the nation, have resulted in our state being the epicenter of Covid in America. We're also in the caboose as far as vaccine administration. We'll wait patiently for your thorough explanation of the situation which I'm sure includes glowing praise for our state government.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and the more you post on this topic the more obvious that becomes.

So the real problem is that Unit2Sucks won't criticize Newsom? Is that why SoCal has a raging COVID problem whereas my city and region is doing comparatively quite well? If you look at my posting history instead of relying on your foggy comprehension, you will see that I regularly criticize all manner of politicians. I criticized Newsom when he ate at TFL and I believe he was weak to cave to the SoCal anti public health brigadiers this summer. Unfortunately, Newsom and public health officials can't save SoCal from themselves.

Unfortunately you don't appear to process any of this information so you conclude that public health measures are ineffective because SoCal can't follow the rules. Maybe if you saw how successful places that follow the rules are, you would feel differently? Who am I kidding, you know the answer without even looking at the problem.
You're saying that SoCal is not following the rules? Why would California's rule breaking surpass all other states' rule breaking to the degree that has forced our case rates to have soared? Where's the proof? It's those other states that have bad weather that has driven people indoors for gatherings, not here. It's obvious stuff but nobody wants to address it. Admitting we have no idea what's going on is tough for humans LOL.
What do other states have to do with it? Case rates are soaring everywhere, as was predicted to happen in the winter months. California can't control everything.

We can argue back and forth about numbers, but I think it's fair to say that given California's strict measures and high compliance, we should be doing much better than we are. That's my opinion. I'm seeing people throw their hands up regarding the lockdown measures. UC recently announced in-person classes for fall as new cases in California were topping 40k per day. Do you find that strange? Cuomo has started signaling that if NY doesn't open up its economy soon, they won't have anything to open up. He then allowed fans at the Bills' playoff games. Lori Lightfoot is also seemingly turning the corner on lockdown measures. I'm seeing a pronounced shift in thinking that highlights the need to take smarter, more targeted measures.
I don't find any of this strange. There is now a 95% effective vaccine rolling out. It makes sense for these institutions to start looking down the road at what they can reopen and when. When there was no vaccine we had to take more stringent measures.
All things being equal I can see people planning for reopening things, but in the middle of the pandemic's worst surge? Doesn't quite add up to me. I have a feeling the dollars are starting to talk louder than the virus.

In other news, our state is dead freakin' last among 50 in vaccinations per 100k and we can't even blame the weather. Sigh....
Source for the bold claim? I know we are far down the list but didn't realize we were dead last.
As of this morning we're "movin' on up." We leap-frogged South Carolina: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/map-covid-19-vaccination-tracker-across-u-s-n1252085
We've passed another 10 states this week. Here's a pretty good tracker, although it notes that California's data isn't clean. Hopefully we are vaccinating more people than the data currently shows and that the efforts we've taken lead to great results. Anecdotally, both of my parents and both of my in-laws (all in CA) are already vaccinated and it seems that there is a lot of availability out there. Seems like we are at close to 150k vaccinations per day and still ramping up and we're only a few days behind the US average (eg we are at 5.5% and the average is 6.5%).

bearister
OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

IOIYAD!

I agree. Bearister needs to tone it way down.

I tried to stay away. Why don't you try.
BearlyCareAnymore
Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Interesting article detailing a study from the European Journal of Clinical Investigation that shows that lockdowns aren't very effective: https://www.newsweek.com/covid-lockdowns-have-no-clear-benefit-vs-other-voluntary-measures-international-study-shows-1561656

By the way, the "voluntary" measures cited are considered too stringent for many of the "reasonable and intelligent people" that you love to talk about. But that didn't factor into your decision to post since, like hanky, you will post any article that makes any statement that criticizes any public health measures.
The real problem is that you won't criticize any public health measures, even if science refutes them. You give politicians way too much rope that they haven't earned. I'm confident one day you'll wake up. California's so-called public health measures, the strictest in the nation, have resulted in our state being the epicenter of Covid in America. We're also in the caboose as far as vaccine administration. We'll wait patiently for your thorough explanation of the situation which I'm sure includes glowing praise for our state government.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and the more you post on this topic the more obvious that becomes.

So the real problem is that Unit2Sucks won't criticize Newsom? Is that why SoCal has a raging COVID problem whereas my city and region is doing comparatively quite well? If you look at my posting history instead of relying on your foggy comprehension, you will see that I regularly criticize all manner of politicians. I criticized Newsom when he ate at TFL and I believe he was weak to cave to the SoCal anti public health brigadiers this summer. Unfortunately, Newsom and public health officials can't save SoCal from themselves.

Unfortunately you don't appear to process any of this information so you conclude that public health measures are ineffective because SoCal can't follow the rules. Maybe if you saw how successful places that follow the rules are, you would feel differently? Who am I kidding, you know the answer without even looking at the problem.
You're saying that SoCal is not following the rules? Why would California's rule breaking surpass all other states' rule breaking to the degree that has forced our case rates to have soared? Where's the proof? It's those other states that have bad weather that has driven people indoors for gatherings, not here. It's obvious stuff but nobody wants to address it. Admitting we have no idea what's going on is tough for humans LOL.
What do other states have to do with it? Case rates are soaring everywhere, as was predicted to happen in the winter months. California can't control everything.

We can argue back and forth about numbers, but I think it's fair to say that given California's strict measures and high compliance, we should be doing much better than we are. That's my opinion. I'm seeing people throw their hands up regarding the lockdown measures. UC recently announced in-person classes for fall as new cases in California were topping 40k per day. Do you find that strange? Cuomo has started signaling that if NY doesn't open up its economy soon, they won't have anything to open up. He then allowed fans at the Bills' playoff games. Lori Lightfoot is also seemingly turning the corner on lockdown measures. I'm seeing a pronounced shift in thinking that highlights the need to take smarter, more targeted measures.
I don't find any of this strange. There is now a 95% effective vaccine rolling out. It makes sense for these institutions to start looking down the road at what they can reopen and when. When there was no vaccine we had to take more stringent measures.
All things being equal I can see people planning for reopening things, but in the middle of the pandemic's worst surge? Doesn't quite add up to me. I have a feeling the dollars are starting to talk louder than the virus.

In other news, our state is dead freakin' last among 50 in vaccinations per 100k and we can't even blame the weather. Sigh....
Source for the bold claim? I know we are far down the list but didn't realize we were dead last.
As of this morning we're "movin' on up." We leap-frogged South Carolina: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/map-covid-19-vaccination-tracker-across-u-s-n1252085
We've passed another 10 states this week. Here's a pretty good tracker, although it notes that California's data isn't clean. Hopefully we are vaccinating more people than the data currently shows and that the efforts we've taken lead to great results. Anecdotally, both of my parents and both of my in-laws (all in CA) are already vaccinated and it seems that there is a lot of availability out there. Seems like we are at close to 150k vaccinations per day and still ramping up and we're only a few days behind the US average (eg we are at 5.5% and the average is 6.5%).

So, basically, California had a bad start and may not have even really had a bad start in administering shots, but may have only had a bad start in tracking the data.
bearister
Democrats Suck said:

bearister said:

OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

OaktownGrinch said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

IOIYAD!

I agree. Bearister needs to tone it way down.
I tried to stay away. Why don't you try.
You should have tried harder. Maybe if you stay away, I will too.

Yeah, people will be lining up asking you and your 50 handles to come back.
LMK5
Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

I expect things to keep accelerating. My 80 year old in-laws got vaccinated last week in LA County.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
bearister

Data: The COVID Tracking Project, state health departments. Map: Andrew Witherspoon/Axios

"But the U.S. is still averaging roughly 165,000 new cases per day, meaning the virus is still spreading largely unchecked.
Nationwide, new cases are now at about the same level they were at in mid-December down from their peak, but still a lot." Axios
bearister
Coronavirus infections have plummeted by 30% over the last three weeks

Coronavirus infections have plummeted by 30% over the last three weeks

https://mol.im/a/9201737
BearForce2
bearister
We're selling the COVID vaccine all wrong - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vaccine-messaging-hesitancy-4950513e-1bfe-4bc7-ab5b-9b54c108432f.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
bearister
COVID vaccine: What went wrong with distribution, what's being changed

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/01/31/covid-vaccine-what-went-wrong-distribution-whats-being-changed/4275954001/

Vaccine tourism': tens of thousands of Americans cross state lines for injections
'Vaccine tourism': tens of thousands of Americans cross state lines for injections

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/31/us-vaccine-tourism-state-borders-covid-19-shots?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
smh

Quote:

'Vaccine tourism': tens of thousands of Americans cross state lines for injections
somehow flying tourist doesn't feel right

unrelated.. JD died October 12 1997 in Monterey bay (not on a jet plane)
Unit2Sucks
Bit of an inflammatory approach, but some of the conclusions in this article seem worth review. Rather than overstate pandemic deaths, it certainly appears we are vastly understating them and that it's not consistent across the country. I doubt this ever really gets figured out given what a shlt show the last year has been.

Quote:

Tens of thousands of Covid-19 deaths are going unreported in the U.S., with far more missed in counties that strongly supported former President Trump, according to new research.

The figures suggest that political leanings have helped suppress the true scale of deaths. In cases where the deceased didn't have a Covid-19 test, a coroner or medical examiner has the freedom to interpret symptoms.

"There's potentially latitude to make a judgement call conditional on a set of beliefs about Covid and whether it represents a serious problem or a hoax," said Andrew Stokes, a professor of global health at Boston University School of Public Health who performed the analysis for STAT.

More than 413,000 people have died in the U.S. with Covid-19 attributed somewhere on their death certificate. The real death toll, as reflected in the number of excess deaths in 2020 compared with annual deaths from 2013 to 2018, is even higher. A separate study, led by Stokes, of 787 counties with more than 20 Covid-19 deaths from Feb. 1 to Oct. 17, 2020, found that while there were 199,124 official Covid-19 deaths in that time period, an additional excess 88,142 deaths weren't attributed to the virus.
bearister
"It may take four to five years before we finally see the end of the pandemic and the start of a post-COVID normal," Singapore's education minister said last week, according to the Wall Street Journal."

New coronavirus variants may lead to a longer, deadlier pandemic - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-variants-pandemic-longer-contagious-deadly-88cdee57-a640-484e-860f-2cec9f950a94.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top

"Thirteen states, all led by Republican governors, do not have statewide mask mandates. North Dakota's governor, Doug Burgum, let the state's mask mandate expire on 18 January, citing the drop in cases in the state, which at one point had the worst Covid-19 death rate in the country. Wisconsin's Republican-majority state senate recently voted to overturn the mask mandate the state's governor, Democrat Tony Evers, put in place. Montana's new governor, Greg Gianforte, rolled back social distancing measures implemented by his Democratic predecessor and said he would get rid of the state's mask mandate once more vulnerable people are vaccinated and the legislature passes protections for businesses from Covid-related lawsuits.

"Many Republican legislatures think it's good politics right now to push back against any public health orders," Parmet said. "We should never underestimate the power of political polarization right now." Lauren Aratani, The Guardian

*tRumpism is the gift that keeps giving

bearister
Here's why Arizona has led the U.S. for its rate of new COVID-19 cases

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2021/02/01/why-arizona-is-worst-nationwide-us-rate-new-coronavirus-cases/4281247001/
bearister

'We were in the dark': why the US is far behind in tracking Covid-19 variants

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/02/us-covid-variants-tracking-cdc-research?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
bearister

Data: The COVID Tracking Project, state health departments. Map: Andrew Witherspoon/Axios
bearister
smh
bearister said:

twitter's jpegs test, please ignore..

> Jill Colvin @colvinj
National political reporter for The Associated Press. Reluctant Washingtonian. Night owl. Quiet car enforcer. The dog is much bigger now.
BearForce2
BearForce2

Time to shut down again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.