COVID disappears Nov 4th?

129,045 Views | 1376 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?

California and Florida have similar COVID pandemic rates, but these charts show key regional differences

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/article/California-and-Florida-have-similar-COVID-16031518.php
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
LMK5
bearister said:

California and Florida have similar COVID pandemic rates, but these charts show key regional differences

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/article/California-and-Florida-have-similar-COVID-16031518.php
Absolutely. Interestingly, in the west, as you go north there's less Covid. NorCal has done better than SoCal, and Oregon and Washington have done better than California.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
calbear93
LMK5 said:

bearister said:

Absolutely. Interestingly, in the west, as you go north there's less Covid. NorCal has done better than SoCal, and Oregon and Washington have done better than California.

Wealth, type of work (most tech companies had remote work from the beginning), and racial demographics had huge impact. Density also matters.
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

LMK5 said:

bearister said:

Wealth, type of work (most tech companies had remote work from the beginning), and racial demographics had huge impact. Density also matters.
I wouldn't discount the climate's effect on transmissibility. Locations aren't fungible. If warmer more humid weather helps reduce transmission, then it would seem Florida has some advantages, all things being equal.
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

LMK5 said:

bearister said:

I wouldn't discount the climate's effect on transmissibility. Locations aren't fungible. If warmer more humid weather helps reduce transmission, then it would seem Florida has some advantages, all things being equal.
That's probably true. Not exactly comparing apples to apples.
bearister
European countries at the start of a third wave of Covid, experts warn

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/17/europe-at-the-start-of-a-third-wave-of-covid-experts-warn?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
dajo9
B.A. Bearacus said:

Genuine kudos to Trump for telling his low information cult followers to get the vaccine despite the science.

"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
dajo9
bearister said:

They should stop looking at Covid deaths and instead look at excess mortality. That takes any potential funny business out and includes deaths caused by lockdowns, etc.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
bearister
Eastern Oregon Bear
bearister said:

Don't they know the economy is more important than 10K or 20K deaths?
calbear93
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

bearister said:

I agree with you. I think if we just shut down the economy forever, made people walk instead of drive, imprison people for smoking, drinking, consuming sugar, or eating high caloric diet, we can save thousands and millions of lives. What can be more important than saving lives?
bearister
I think America should hold a coast to coast Spring Break/Sturgis Motorcycle Rally for 2 solid months until only the BSD are left alive.
BearlyCareAnymore
calbear93 said:

bearister said:

I agree with you. I think if we just shut down the economy forever, made people walk instead of drive, imprison people for smoking, drinking, consuming sugar, or eating high caloric diet, we can save thousands and millions of lives. What can be more important than saving lives?
Rather than all of us repeating the same political arguments, I'd say the main take away should be, effing god dammit, eff, eff, eff, this effing virus, bleepity bleep, blankety, blank, censored, effing hell. We have usually followed Europe by about six weeks. Whatever we do if another spike hits, we better be prepared for one to come and I think we were all hoping this was done and the vaccines would come before another spike. And get the vaccines out as fast as we effing can.

Europe has screwed the pooch on this. Their vaccination rates are slow and they have a high rate of vaccination hesitancy. Their moronic decision on Astra Zeneca is not going to help. But, hey, we might possibly prevent 10 deaths, or maybe not, by causing 1000's with inaction.
calbear93
OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

bearister said:

Rather than all of us repeating the same political arguments, I'd say the main take away should be, effing god dammit, eff, eff, eff, this effing virus, bleepity bleep, blankety, blank, censored, effing hell. We have usually followed Europe by about six weeks. Whatever we do if another spike hits, we better be prepared for one to come and I think we were all hoping this was done and the vaccines would come before another spike. And get the vaccines out as fast as we effing can.

Europe has screwed the pooch on this. Their vaccination rates are slow and they have a high rate of vaccination hesitancy. Their moronic decision on Astra Zeneca is not going to help. But, hey, we might possibly prevent 10 deaths, or maybe not, by causing 1000's with inaction.

I think we need to stop taking radical positions and politicizing this pandemic that has ****ed all of us, but mostly the poor and the minorities. I am thrilled with what Biden is trying to do with the vaccination and have shut down (because I can see and think for myself) all attempts to delegitimize what Biden is doing. I do worry that the immigration issue will detract from this instead of pooling all of us together, but keep making this black and white about economy versus death is not helpful.
bearister
Is it true Rand Paul was a victim of a Dr. Fauci schlonging today during a Senate hearing?

bearister
"This has been under wraps since summer, and you're reading it here first: WashPost journalists Yasmeen Abutaleb and Damian Paletta will be out June 29 with "Nightmare Scenario," a scoopy narrative of President Trump's chaotic response to the pandemic.

Harper, the publisher, says the authors "reveal the numerous times officials tried to dissuade Trump from following his worst impulses ... And they show how the petty backstabbing and rivalries amongst cabinet members, staff, and aides, created a toxic cycle of blame, sycophancy, and political pressure."
Javelin's Keith Urbahn and Matt Latimer are the agents. Harper V.P./Executive Editor Jonathan Jao is editor." Axios
bearister
Covid world map: which countries have the most coronavirus vaccinations, cases and deaths?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/19/covid-world-map-which-countries-have-the-most-coronavirus-vaccinations-cases-and-deaths?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Scientist behind coronavirus shot says next target is cancer

https://apnews.com/article/covid-vaccine-scientist-fight-cancer-d6fd143e9fd9b4bd50d0c1cb697b6dab

B.A. Bearacus
Brazilians are so over it.

bearister
China with big head start on COVID vaccine diplomacy as U.S. hoards supply - Axios

https://www.axios.com/us-coronavirus-vaccine-diplomacy-china-exports-4a5c7bbd-32fb-468a-add5-9b1689bf5ce3.html
Big C

I'm all for getting our country vaccinated first, largely because we've had the most COVID, but it's kind of a bad look when we buy up four different vaccines and then, when there's a projected surplus, we talk about distributing the AstraZeneca to other countries in need: "We have more then we can use, so here's a hundred million doses of the s****y one... "
B.A. Bearacus
Big C said:

I'm all for getting our country vaccinated first, largely because we've had the most COVID, but it's kind of a bad look when we buy up four different vaccines and then, when there's a projected surplus, we talk about distributing the AstraZeneca to other countries in need: "We have more then we can use, so here's a hundred million doses of the s****y one... "
But AstraZeneca is simply not authorized for use yet in the US. It would be the most natural one to part with.
bearister
Big C said:

It wouldn't be the first time.

The Corporate Crime of the Century Mother Jones

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/1979/11/corporate-crime-century/

....and then there's this:

Coronavirus: Brits claim yawning, screaming and losing teeth are possible vaccine side effects | Daily Mail Online

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9388163/Coronavirus-Brits-claim-yawning-screaming-losing-teeth-possible-vaccine-effects.html
Big C
B.A. Bearacus said:

Big C said:

But AstraZeneca is simply not authorized for use yet in the US. It would be the most natural one to part with.

Please don't let "facts" interfere with a potentially good narrative. Especially when it's mine!
bearister
Axios-Ipsos poll: America reemerges from coronavirus lockdown - Axios

https://www.axios.com/axios-ipsos-poll-america-reemerges-3a91de84-f8ec-46d2-b6b6-d57ae5ecf204.html
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

It would be a lot worse look to give our own people the "worse" one, especially to people that actually vote in our elections. Doubly especially when you know it will be disadvantaged groups in our own country that get the worse one.

When I donate clothes, I usually don't don't get the response that keeping the nicer clothes to myself is a bad look.
Unit2Sucks
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

It would be a lot worse look to give our own people the "worse" one, especially to people that actually vote in our elections. Doubly especially when you know it will be disadvantaged groups in our own country that get the worse one.

When I donate clothes, I usually don't don't get the response that keeping the nicer clothes to myself is a bad look.
If a vaccine is approved for use in a country (assuming no foul play or funny business) and we provide that vaccine to that country, I think our hands are clean.
B.A. Bearacus
https://instagr.am/p/CMvLuPiMEeZ
BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
LMK5
BearForce2 said:

I guess it was at that point that they told you to wear 2, or 3, or how ever many you can bear without getting to the gasping point?
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearForce2 said:

Japan had 98% mask compliance and peaked at 6,500 cases a day. The US had much lower mask compliance and peaked at 250,000 cases a day. I'd say wearing masks helped.
bearister
COVID infections among vaccinated people are very rare - Axios

https://www.axios.com/covid-infections-among-vaccinated-people-are-very-rare-3deb7541-a8ef-40e7-a4d5-bf4a3312f32e.html
BearlyCareAnymore

BearForce2 said:

Japan had 98% mask compliance and peaked at 6,500 cases a day. The US had much lower mask compliance and peaked at 250,000 cases a day. I'd say wearing masks helped.

As I said on the other thread, this reading of the curve is moronic. Masks don't eliminate Covid. Like almost everywhere Japan saw a seasonal increase in Covid. The difference is their baseline was lower. We had 24 times the deaths per capita. Again, if masks eliminated almost every case, but they bottomed out at 2 cases and then increased to a measly 50, they would draw a really scary looking curve. None of which means anything related to the effectiveness of masks. The scientific and statistical illiteracy among some Cal grads is soul crushing.

Every year we see a gigantic spike in flu cases after we increase our flu vaccines. The above argument is the same logic as saying flu vaccines cause flu.
LMK5
OaktownBear said:

BearForce2 said:

As I said on the other thread, this reading of the curve is moronic. Masks don't eliminate Covid. Like almost everywhere Japan saw a seasonal increase in Covid. The difference is their baseline was lower. We had 24 times the deaths per capita. Again, if masks eliminated almost every case, but they bottomed out at 2 cases and then increased to a measly 50, they would draw a really scary looking curve. None of which means anything related to the effectiveness of masks. The scientific and statistical illiteracy among some Cal grads is soul crushing.

Every year we see a gigantic spike in flu cases after we increase our flu vaccines. The above argument is the same logic as saying flu vaccines cause flu.
So then what statistical tool would you use to gauge the effectiveness of masks? There must be a more scientific argument than "you gotta believe."
sycasey
LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

BearForce2 said:

So then what statistical tool would you use to gauge the effectiveness of masks? There must be a more scientific argument than "you gotta believe."
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118#sec-22

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent
LMK5
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

BearForce2 said:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118#sec-22

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent
Excellent work sy. Clearly you were paying attention when attending Cal. So, would it be safe to say that had we not been wearing masks during the fall-winter surge that we'd all be dead?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.