COVID disappears Nov 4th?

129,149 Views | 1376 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
BearForce2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
bearister

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
"The "vast majority" of the almost 550,000 coronavirus deaths in the US could have been prevented if Donald Trump's administration had acted earlier and with greater conviction, according to one of the public health experts charged with leading the pandemic response at the time."

"Most US Covid deaths 'could have been mitigated' after first 100,000, Birx says

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/28/dr-deborah-birx-cnn-documentary-covid-trump?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
B.A. Bearacus
All reasonable people know that Trump is essentially a mass murderer, but a mass murderer out of office is better than a mass murderer in power. Brazilian Trump still in power, though.
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

States like Florida and Texas are doing the same thing.
dajo9
Birx is a disgrace for giving Trump some level of respectability. She should have gone public at the time. Still, better late then never.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
bearister
Millions of Americans remain vulnerable as new coronavirus variants drive up cases - Axios

https://www.axios.com/americans-vulnerable-coronavirus-cases-variants-vaccines-2add07de-5b0e-45d5-90fa-6bb80b521afc.html
B.A. Bearacus

dajo9
dajo9 said:

bearister said:

They should stop looking at Covid deaths and instead look at excess mortality. That takes any potential funny business out and includes deaths caused by lockdowns, etc.
Estimates that based on excess deaths, Florida has undercounted Covid deaths by over 10%

AunBear89
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
dajo9
Hope Rides Again said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

bearister said:

They should stop looking at Covid deaths and instead look at excess mortality. That takes any potential funny business out and includes deaths caused by lockdowns, etc.
Estimates that based on excess deaths, Florida has undercounted Covid deaths by over 10%

It also says that Florida is the second most populous state, which isn't close to being true by population.

It's also being said by only one person, with many others disputing her calculations. But I suppose you'd have to read the article to know that.

BI virus. It rots the brain.

They interviewed one person. The study is authored by 3 PhD's and was approved to be printed in the American Journal of Public Health.
bearister
Demand for vaccines is already waning in some parts of the country - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vaccines-demand-republicans-rural-048a4a5b-5b03-4e6c-9455-da04dac0c11a.html
B.A. Bearacus
So glad we have J&J in the mix to help us in this fight.

BearlyCareAnymore
B.A. Bearacus said:

Most of me agrees. A very small part thinks if you are too damned lazy to get a two dose vaccine I'm a lot more sad for the medical personnel who have to treat you or for the people who you transmit the disease to because you are a lazy, stupid, selfish, asshat.
B.A. Bearacus
OaktownBear said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Most of me agrees. A very small part thinks if you are too damned lazy to get a two dose vaccine I'm a lot more sad for the medical personnel who have to treat you or for the people who you transmit the disease to because you are a lazy, stupid, selfish, asshat.
It's difficult to surmise that the most important factor is one versus two doses. Of the three brands, J&J has the most credibility among Americans. I would think that that accounts for something among those who have some vague concerns about vaccine safety. I think the results would be different if it were referred to as the Janssen vaccine, instead of the Johnson & Johnson.

BearlyCareAnymore
B.A. Bearacus said:

OaktownBear said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

It's difficult to surmise that the most important factor is one versus two doses. Of the three brands, J&J has the most credibility among Americans. I would think that that accounts for something among those who have some vague concerns about vaccine safety. I think the results would be different if it were referred to as the Janssen vaccine, instead of the Johnson & Johnson.

At some point I have to hold people responsible for their unbelievable ignorance and if they think making cheap shampoo makes a company more qualified to make a vaccine, they can go on the same list.
B.A. Bearacus
Not making any excuses for their hesitancy but it's a race against the clock so if we need to throw in some free baby shampoo let's do it.
BearlyCareAnymore
B.A. Bearacus said:

Not making any excuses for their hesitancy but it's a race against the clock so if we need to throw in some free baby shampoo let's do it.

There are a lot of people who want the vaccine. Let them all get it first.
Big C

These people are not stupid or ignorant for eschewing the Pfizer and Moderna two-dose vaccines: They know damn well that the first dose injects the microscopic 5G chips... then the second dose activates them!
82gradDLSdad
Big C said:

These people are not stupid or ignorant for eschewing the Pfizer and Moderna two-dose vaccines: They know damn well that the first dose injects the microscopic 5G chips... then the second dose activates them!

Geez, I hope so. I own a lot of AT&T and Verizon stock.
bearister
Big C said:

Stop talking nonsense. You are smarter than that. Everyone knows the gestation period after the first shot is 5 years.

Unit2Sucks
OaktownBear said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

There are a lot of people who want the vaccine. Let them all get it first.
If you want to protect yourself, get a vaccine. If you want to end the pandemic, vaccine the populations most likely to spread the virus.

Is there any doubt at this point that the vaccine hesitant population is superspreader central? If I had my druthers, I would prefer we did far more outreach to the vaccine hesitant communities. They are more likely to ignore precautions and spread the virus.

There is an education gap and that is largely to blame for vaccine hesitation. There's a reason the vaccinated public skews wealthy, educated and white. If not for republican men, it would be even more disproportionate.

Here's the most recent data on ethnicity:

Quote:

Overall, across these 40 states, the vaccination rate among White people was nearly twice as high as the rate for Hispanic people (25% vs. 13%), and 1.7 times as high as the rate for Black people (25% vs. 15%).

Since March 1, the share of the population who has received a COVID-19 vaccine has increased across racial/ethnic groups, but vaccination rates for White people have remained higher compared to rates for Asian, Black, and Hispanic people, with the largest gaps for Black and Hispanic people.

B.A. Bearacus
All MLB players and personnel will be able to get vaccine shots this month. Anyone not taking it at the first sensible opportunity (side effects could temporarily impact play) is just plain dumb.

bearister
America is in a race to vaccinate before variants overwhelm us - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-variants-vaccines-c27dd1d5-6531-4c67-80c0-310705d6ff45.html

Coronavirus Variant Tracker: where different strains are spreading

https://www.axios.com/variants-tracker/
B.A. Bearacus
bearister
Children now playing 'huge role' in spread of COVID-19 variant, expert says

https://abc7news.com/health/kids-now-playing-huge-role-in-spread-of-covid-19-variant-expert-says/10486843/

dimitrig
bearister said:

https://abc7news.com/health/kids-now-playing-huge-role-in-spread-of-covid-19-variant-expert-says/10486843/

Meanwhile, some parents are *****ing that some school districts aren't doing in-person learning.

In my own area the school district just announced there be in-person learning starting April 20.

In a nearby area there won't be in-person learning until fall except for special needs kids who will be eligible for a summer program.

I was talking to a parent of a private high school kid here in LA who said that his son has been eligible to go back for a long time now, but only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the parents have chosen to send their kids back. (He has chosen to keep his son at home although now that he has been vaccinated he told his son he can go back if he wants, but he doesn't want.) They are doing a hybrid model where most kids are remote but some are in the classroom. He said that the more rigorous the classes (AP, Honors) the more likely the kids were to be staying home with only about 25% or less choosing to be in class whereas in the other classes it is closer to 50%. He also said that in the expensive private schools like Harvard-Westlake and Crossroads even fewer kids than that (their parents, rather) have chosen to go back into the classroom.

sycasey
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Meanwhile, some parents are *****ing that some school districts aren't doing in-person learning.
Schools should be open for in-person learning in places where community transmission remains low. If it rises again, lock down to control the spread.
bearister
I don't purport to know what the answer to this complex problem is....let's just say I have never been ever to get out of my mind the story of security personnel telling tenants of the World Trade Center on 9/11 that it was safe to reverse course on the staircase and go back to their offices.
sycasey
bearister said:

I don't purport to know what the answer to this complex problem is....let's just say I have never been ever to get out of my mind the story of security personnel telling tenants of the World Trade Center on 9/11 that it was safe to reverse course on the staircase and go back to their offices.
Little bit of a different situation here.
Big C
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

In my own area the school district just announced there be in-person learning starting April 20.

In a nearby area there won't be in-person learning until fall except for special needs kids who will be eligible for a summer program.

I was talking to a parent of a private high school kid here in LA who said that his son has been eligible to go back for a long time now, but only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the parents have chosen to send their kids back. (He has chosen to keep his son at home although now that he has been vaccinated he told his son he can go back if he wants, but he doesn't want.) They are doing a hybrid model where most kids are remote but some are in the classroom. He said that the more rigorous the classes (AP, Honors) the more likely the kids were to be staying home with only about 25% or less choosing to be in class whereas in the other classes it is closer to 50%. He also said that in the expensive private schools like Harvard-Westlake and Crossroads even fewer kids than that (their parents, rather) have chosen to go back into the classroom.

It's a whole different ballgame for the kids in expensive privates:

- sometimes the whole family has fled to their second home in Fiji or their new second home in Idaho

- sometimes the kids just stays in the family's expansive first home... and a tutor is brought in

- in these trying times, they figure the private school is going to be even easier on the grades than they usually are, providing the tuition checks keep rolling in
bearister
sycasey said:

bearister said:

Little bit of a different situation here.

My point being that those in authority often speak with confidence regarding how to best proceed in a certain situation when it fact they have no factual basis for such confidence or they are in fact not confident but "selling." The proper path to take for Opening up/Closing down during the pandemic appears to be one of those situations.
Unit2Sucks
dajo9
Bernie Bro said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Schools should be open for in-person learning in places where community transmission remains low. If it rises again, lock down to control the spread.
Well, at least now you're admitting to the truth that children can spread the disease. Only took you about 3 months. By 6, you might even start admitting that both sides are politicizing the hell out of this to achieve the ends they want.

Actually the article makes the argument that a new variant has changed things. It doesn't say anything about people like sycasey being wrong about this in the past.
sycasey
dajo9 said:

Bernie Bro said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Well, at least now you're admitting to the truth that children can spread the disease. Only took you about 3 months. By 6, you might even start admitting that both sides are politicizing the hell out of this to achieve the ends they want.

Actually the article makes the argument that a new variant has changed things. It doesn't say anything about people like sycasey being wrong about this in the past.

And in other threads the argument from Yogi (among others) has been that we should just keep schools closed, period. That's still not my position. We should keep them open (with safety measures) until you can demonstrate the school is creating an outbreak or if spread is bad enough in the larger community. Neither of those things are true in California right now, so we should get in as much in-person instruction as possible while we can, and hopefully our vaccination campaign can outrace the new variant. If we see outbreaks of the new variant then I would support temporary school closures again.

Something people don't seem to be grasping is that you need to be flexible and adjust to new information as it arises. It's not about one policy being right or wrong forever.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.