Warning: Spoiler alert in GOT thread

42,494 Views | 418 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sycasey
Yogi58
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sebastabear said:

Don't know what you posted Yogi but since you are replying to me I'll just remind you I blocked you long ago. You are clearly just a troll who does nothing but talk crap about the program and other posters. You may have once said something positive about Cal but if so I never saw it. Been great having you gone.
ducky23
Silly hound, didn't he know that the mountain had the high ground.
ducky23
wifeisafurd said:

wifeisafurd said:

I suspect the Jon/Danny conflict is a gimmick to mislead us.

Poster is an utter moron.

It's ok. I thought for sure dany was going to have to make a choice between the iron throne and Jon, and she ultimately sacrifices herself to save jon's life. That now seems idiotic as well.
TheSouseFamily
Watching The Mountain take a dagger to the eye, a sword to the stomach, multiple stab wounds in the torso and keep going strong, I have to wonder why Qyburn didn't leverage this "technology" or the methods used to zombify Gregor on a more widespread basis to create a more powerful and potentially invincible and loyal army. Huge missed opportunity. Plus, Gregor's treatment was several years ago, so this could have been implemented on a massive scale by now.

Also, for those like me confused by the sudden reinvigoration of the Dothraki ranks, here is Benioff talking about episode 3 and saying we're seeing the "end of the Dothraki essentially".

sycasey
Yogi Bear said:

I don't have an issue with Daenerys did per se. Aegon the Conqueror conquered some of the seven Kingdoms the same way. Take your dragon into the city and set everything on fire. Yet no one outside of Dorne would say he was a mad king or a bad king. Cersei refused to surrender. It's not her fault that the people of King's Landing are so stupid as to not think "Maybe we'd be better off away from the town where all the fighting is going to take place." Other kings, faced with an adversary who refused to bend the knee and had dragons all did the same thing. They used them, as any sane person would who had a dragon at their disposal. The issue here is that they decided to make her decide to set fire to everything anyway after her sellswords dropped their weapons, which Aegon the Conqueror would not have done. This is out of character given what Daenerys' character has been established to be by the rest of the story. Use your dragon - fine. Use it when you don't have to, not fine.
This seems to presume that Daenerys is acting rationally. Seems obvious that she is not.
B.A. Bearacus
https://instagr.am/p/BxY8ZvLJ0RH

A-Rod moneyshot:
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
TL-DNR This is more of an Evil Queen (not Mad Queen) character arc/reveal, and the remaining conflicts/resolutions will reflect that.

I'm trying to make sense of her burning of innocent common folk (other than for merely The Visual Spectacle) and to figure out what it portends for the last episode.

She burned the Tarlys (even though they had surrendered like the Golden Co.) because they refused to submit to her rule. For her, failure to bend the knee is completely justified ground for execution. The people of Westeros will all soon know about Jon's greater claim and all of them will lean toward refusing to bend the knee to her. In her mind that is the most natural flow of events because even her most trusted advisors (Varys, Tyrion, Jon) have already betrayed her in various degrees after obtaining the revelation R+L=J. Burning and killing tens/hundreds of thousands of Kings Landingers is her last ditch effort to force the people to submit to her (just as burning the Tarlys made all the last standing Lannister loyalists in that battlefield to immediately get down to their knees). In a sense, the Battle at Kings Landing might have been less a battle against Cersei + Golden Co. + Iron Fleet, and more a battle for the submission of the westerosi people to her supremacy.

This assumes she hasn't (or hasn't yet) become a Mad Queen like her mad father. I'm trying to find her internally consistent and organized thought patterns which would lead her to slaughter innocents. It looks less like Madness at work, and more like tyrannical entitlement/exceptionalism pushed to its logical limits/consequences. This is not to excuse or lessen her guilt, but the opposite because a mass homicidal tyrant lacks the excuse of Madness since the culprit is an internally consistent and lucid and even rational but Evil heart. The Mad Queen we feared might really be an even worse Evil Queen. Daene (and Stannis before her) is Palpatin/Anakin rolled into one, except the arc is more poorly developed than even Anakin's and the reveal of the Emperor is done at the very end of the "trilogy". Jon (and Arya) are Padme/Obiwan/Luke rolled into two.

You might retort that Evil Daene (as opposed to Daene with a short temper or Daene with some rough edges or Daene who boldly fights back from wrongs done to her) is completely inconsistent with the Daene of the past 7 and 2/3 seasons. Perhaps so. Or perhaps she is an unusually charismatic, in some ways admirable person who had never been pushed to reveal the full extent of her unlimited lust for sovereign power. It might have been there all along, in many ways hidden even from herself underneath a more palatable, manufactured persona of oppressed survivor who became the beloved breaker of chains. It's hard to think of an instance when her tenderness or tolerance was directed to anyone who opposed her primacy or whose position did not warrant a more prolonged, strategic effort to win over to her side.

Daene could show herself further in ep. 6 to be this Evil Queen by actions such as threats of more slaughter of innocents, threats to Tyrion & Jon disproportionate to their actions, plans to make Sansa literally kiss Daene's muddy boots under threat of death and the destruction of Winterfell, plans to destroy kingdoms displaying less than full and immediate submission. If this happens, the only recourse might be Jon/Arya killing her, a coalition of Northern & Vale & Riverland & Stormland and other forces (gathered by Varys' letters) fighting the Unsullied & Dothraki, Arya using Daene's face to get close enough to Drogon to drive a spear deep into his eye, or Bran using his warging powers from ep. 3 on horses/cattle to stampede them over a flying Drogon toward sharp KL rocks.

GMP
TheSouseFamily said:

Watching The Mountain take a dagger to the eye, a sword to the stomach, multiple stab wounds in the torso and keep going strong, I have to wonder why Qyburn didn't leverage this "technology" or the methods used to zombify Gregor on a more widespread basis to create a more powerful and potentially invincible and loyal army. Huge missed opportunity. Plus, Gregor's treatment was several years ago, so this could have been implemented on a massive scale by now.

Also, for those like me confused by the sudden reinvigoration of the Dothraki ranks, here is Benioff talking about episode 3 and saying we're seeing the "end of the Dothraki essentially".

I also noticed Weiss said after last night's episode that they wanted to focus on the common people and show death raining down from above, because no one ever focuses on the common people and they felt it was important to focus on that. Two minutes later Benioff said they focused on Arya getting out of the city because if it was just a bunch of extras there'd be no emotional pull for the audience. The interviews seem to be doing more harm than good for them.
okaydo
B.A. Bearacus said:

https://instagr.am/p/BxY8ZvLJ0RH

A-Rod moneyshot:

Was that really him, though?

okaydo
GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I also noticed Weiss said after last night's episode that they wanted to focus on the common people and show death raining down from above, because no one ever focuses on the common people and they felt it was important to focus on that. Two minutes later Benioff said they focused on Arya getting out of the city because if it was just a bunch of extras there'd be no emotional pull for the audience. The interviews seem to be doing more harm than good for them.

I don't watch those extra bits. It would be something cool to watch on a DVD or something, but not directly after the episode. But I thought this was interesting:

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/10/18563566/game-of-thrones-season-8-daenerys-mad-dark-villain

bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
B.A. Bearacus
okaydo said:

Was that really him, though?
Damn, that still makes it a hard no that it was A-Rod.

TheSouseFamily
I enjoy the extra discussion with Weiss and Benioff after the show (as the others they do for Barry and other shows). Gives a glimpse into their thinking in portraying things the way they did. But they were much more interesting early on in the series when they were doing them with George RR Martin. Easy to see the creative genius he possesses. You certainly don't get that vibe with Weiss and Benioff even though they have a pretty formidable task and are bound to disappoint people no matter what they do.
sycasey
GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Yeah, I'm glad that I haven't watched any of these.
TheSouseFamily
I always enjoy reading the analyses of military experts commenting on the strategies deployed by the main characters. I don't think they'll treat Danaerys' siege of King's Landing very kindly.

Instead of borrowing from Von Clausewitz, Sun Tzu, Rommel or Patton, it seems that Danaerys went with the "Work up on a Number 6" strategy deployed by Taggart and LePetomaine in Blazing Saddles which calls for the aggressor to go "riding into town, a-whomping and a-whooping every little thing within an inch of its life." Danaerys' plan to work up a Number 6 on Kings Landing admittedly was more successful (so far) than the Siege of Rock Ridge but I think things will turn against her at the Number 6 Dance which I assume will be the focus of the final episode.
okaydo
Game of Thrones' King's Landing horror fittingly reveals what the show has always been about: The Dany twist is classic George R.R. Martin.
https://www.vox.com/2019/5/13/18617648/game-of-thrones-season-8-bells-dany-burns-kings-landing

Every Game of Thrones Episode, Ranked: Last night's episode ranks as No. 1
https://www.vulture.com/2016/06/game-of-thrones-episodes-ranked.html
okaydo

Sebastabear
okaydo said:

Game of Thrones' King's Landing horror fittingly reveals what the show has always been about: The Dany twist is classic George R.R. Martin.
https://www.vox.com/2019/5/13/18617648/game-of-thrones-season-8-bells-dany-burns-kings-landing

Battle of the *******s and the Winds of Winter (last two episodes of Season 6) were clearly the best and it's not close. Red Wedding episode was less of a gut punch since I'd read the books and knew what was coming. But the end of Season 6 was some of the best TV I've ever seen.
Yogi58
okaydo said:

https://www.vox.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/13/18617796/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5-daenerys-targaryen-eyes
okaydo

dajo9
It occurs to me that after the destruction of the last episode, maybe the Iron Throne no longer exists.

Would be for the best.
American Vermin
okaydo
golden sloth
dajo9 said:

It occurs to me that after the destruction of the last episode, maybe the Iron Throne no longer exists.

Would be for the best.
Westeros goes to an imperfect democracy, that would be a twist.
socaltownie
golden sloth said:

dajo9 said:

Would be for the best.
Westeros goes to an imperfect democracy, that would be a twist.
Well no. It would go to what it really SHOULD be - a loose confederation of kingdoms (akin to the Germanic Kingdoms under the Holy Roman Empire. If you think about it there is really NOTHING that keeps that kingdom together after Dragons faded from the world.
okaydo

I was going to donate $100,000 to Cal Athletics, but instead I'm going to spend my next paycheck on ....

okaydo

dajo9
Alternate season 7 plot line. Season 7, episode 3 at Dragonstone

Jon Snow: Daenarys, you must come north and see the army of the dead which is marching south to kill us all!

Daenarys T: Uhhhhhh, no. Tommorow I'm going to King's Landing to burn it to the ground. Then I'm sending owls to the other kingdoms to tell them my dragons are still hungry and ask if anybody does not want to bend the knee.

JS: You can't burn King's Landing! You have no support in Westeros. You are not ready!

DT: Puhleeeze. I have 3 dragons. I could burn that ish to the ground with 1 dragon. Cersei is going to be dead tomorrow by the time you are having dinner.

JS: But the army of the dead is on the move! They will kill us all!

DT: Look, I'll be back in 3 days. In the meantime, you put on something sexy and when I return you can tell me about your army of the dead.

JS: This is madness!

DT: Toodles
American Vermin
okaydo

This is good.

GMP
It was fine. But this is the best article on GoT I've read.

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/16/18626666/game-of-thrones-series-finale-adaptation-troubles

Especially this section:
Quote:

With its cast of thousands, dense mythology, and intercontinental scope, A Song of Ice and Fire is an awkward fit for the screen indeed. Yet what the current split in regard between books and show tends to obscure is that this very awkwardness was once a boon, not a handicap. Nor is A Song of Ice and Fire as distinct from television as this dichotomy tends to imply. Game of Thrones exists, by its nature, in conversation with the books. From their beginning, however, the books themselves were in conversation with TV. Keeping this origin story in mind, Game of Thrones' struggles as it comes to a close this Sunday are less a divergence than the closing of a full circle. A Song of Ice and Fire was an explicit reaction against television, which made its adaptation inherently subversive TV. And what some have interpreted as Game of Thrones shedding the qualities that once made it exceptional is, in fact, a capitulation to its format. Game of Thrones may be the biggest television show of all time, but at the end, it couldn't transcend television.

From the mid-1980s to the mid-1990sright around the time A Game of Thrones was publishedMartin lived in the belly of the beast. Like many novelists before him, Martin went Hollywood, writing for the first revival of The Twilight Zone and serving as a writer-producer on CBS's Beauty and the Beast. When he tried to launch some of his own projects, Martin quickly ran up against the limitations of an industry he was decades too early to disrupt. "The theme of that whole period for me was, I would always turn in my first draft to whatever network or studio or producer I was working for and the reaction was inevitably, 'George, this is great. It's terrific, it's a wonderful read, thanks. But it's three times our budget. We can't possibly make it. It's too big and it's too expensive,'" Martin told The New York Times in 2011, ahead of Thrones' premiere.

Enter the written word. "When I returned to prose, which had been my first love, in the '90s," Martin continued, "I said I'm going to do something that is just as big as I want to do. I can have all the special effects I want. I can have a cast of characters that numbers in the hundreds. I can have giant battle scenes. Everything you can't do in television and film, of course you can do in prose because you're everything there." Martin subsequently took full advantage of the freedoms experience had taught him to appreciate. Without a time slot, he populated Westeros with noble houses served by smaller houses served by peasants protected by sacred orders. Without budgets, he plunged the continent into a five-front war. And without actor contracts, he killed his main character and several of his potential replacements, egos and agents be damned.

Ironically, such blatant defiance of television's institutional norms makes for inherently interesting television. To its credit, Game of Thrones didn't change the core characteristics of A Song of Ice and Fire to make them more palatable to TV. Instead, it was TV itself that was changed. Never before had a show baited and switched its audience about the very concept of a protagonist; never before had a show included hourlong battles with the financial demands of a feature film; never before had a show carried such an overwhelming mass of detailed lore that it could single-handedly support its own explainer industry. Part of what Thrones' legions of fans have responded to is old-school craftsmanship, in the form of great performances and richly outlined characters. Much of the appeal, however, was novelty: Viewers weren't used to feeling the disorientation that came with Ned Stark's beheading or Jaime Lannister's gradual redemption, so they stuck around for more.

The sheer feat of translating these subversions, and balancing them with the practicalities necessary to create an actual television show, ought not to be understated. Whatever criticisms they've faced for their relatively original storytelling, Benioff and Weiss proved themselves to be master adaptors. Without Martin's device of limited third-person, point-of-view chapters, which could transform a character from caricature to de facto narrator in an instant, Game of Thrones capably planted the seeds of the Lannister twins' nuance much earlier on. Without pages' worth of raw exposition, Thrones re-created the feeling of Westeros as a place buckling under the weight of its own history, haunted by the phantom pains of a war decades in the past. This accomplishment alone places Thrones in the pantheon of series that fundamentally altered audiences' expectations of TV.

A cruel paradox of Thrones' later seasons, then, is that the show effectively trained its fan base to hold it to the same logical, methodical, unsentimental standard as the earlier seasons and books did fantasy tropes. A decade ago, A Song of Ice and Fire so effectively commented on sword-and-sorcery mainstays it changed how some readers saw the genre; now, Game of Thrones has preemptively taught its viewership to reject the shortcuts and workarounds it's taken on the way to Sunday's conclusion. Because many of the flaws in Thrones' home stretch aren't unique to Thrones. They're products of typical TV logicexactly the kind Thrones initially rejected, and can no longer resist.
okaydo

BGolden
My theory is that Danyres saw that Cerci was about to deploy wildfire. Danyres was destroying as much of the stockpile as possible before Cersi destroyed the entire city.

MoragaBear
Staff
That's an interesting theory because you could see green bursts throughout the city and she went on her mad spree.
GMP
MoragaBear said:

That's an interesting theory because you could see green bursts throughout the city and she went on her mad spree.

It would be hard to pull off at this point. Everyone who would know, but Danys, is dead. How would they show this? Danys just...says it? It would also make Cersei's death even LESS satisfying than it already is. That kind of evil demands a real comeuppance. A relatively quick death in the arms of your lover would not suffice.
bearister

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GBear4Life
BGolden said:

My theory is that Danyres saw that Cerci was about to deploy wildfire. Danyres was destroying as much of the stockpile as possible before Cersi destroyed the entire city.

What in the world would give merit to that theory?

And you're giving too much credit to D&D.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.