Warriors 2019 playoff thread

100,688 Views | 1110 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by philbert
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2nd and final matchup a couple weeks later in December,
Raptors killed the warriors start to finish in Oakland with full cast, except Boogie.

concordtom
By Monte Poole

OAKLAND Warriors coach Steve Kerr is playing a game of revolving centers, and there is no end in sight. It didn't matter which teams the Warriors faced this postseason. It won't matter when they confront the Toronto Raptors in the NBA Finals.
Such depth and disparate skills bode well for the Warriors.
Kerr and his staff will study numbers and tendencies and decide which big men to roll out against Toronto's 7-foot-1 Marc Gasol and his primary backup, 6-10 Serge Ibaka.
Consider: 16 games into the postseason, the Warriors have started five different centers. It's the only position for which the starter was not revealed until minutes before tipoff.
DeMarcus Cousins, who started the first two games in the opening round against the Clippers but sustained a calf injury in Game 2, is expected back.
Andrew Bogut, who reunited with the Warriors in time to play the final month of the regular season, has started six playoff games.
Jordan Bell, who spent most of the season completely out of the rotation, started Game 4 the closeout game, for crying out loud of the Western Conference finals against the Portland Trail Blazers.
Damian Jones opened the season as the starter while Cousins was rehabilitating from surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles' tendon, but sustained a torn pectoral muscle on Dec. 1. He returned for the conference finals and, surprisingly, got the start in Game 3in Portland.
Draymond Green, a power forward under optimum conditions, has made six starts at center.
And, finally, there is Kevon Looney. He is only designated center without a start. Guess who has played the most minutes at the 5?
Don't expect to change, even if Gasol is four inches taller and 30 pounds heavier.
"Looney's a hell of a basketball player," Kerr said Saturday. "He's one of our cornerstones now.
"We're going to rely on him in The Finals and, hopefully, for many years to come."
Bogut is the best size matchup with Gasol, which is why he could expect some playing time. Not an abundant amount, but maybe as many as 10 minutes per game.
Cousins is next on that list. He's a reasonable physical matchup, similar to Gasol in weight but a couple inches shorter. He's eager to get back on the court, make his Finals debut and re-start his drive toward a new contract when he becomes a free agent on June 30.
"He played with a little bit (Friday)," Looney said of Cousins' participation in a scrimmage. "He's getting better each day. He's getting in better shape each day. He's excited to try to get out there and play. Whenever he's on the court, he's capable of going for 20 and 10, or 30 and 10. When he's out there, he's always a plus for us."
Whoa. Cousins still is rounding into game shape and, assuming he receives final clearance, as expected, his minutes will be monitored. A 20-point, 10-rebound game would be astonishing.
Green's minutes at center come almost strictly in the Hamptons 5 lineup, as was the case against the Rockets in the second round. Any time he spends in the middle will be limited, at least until Kevin Durant is available to play power forward.
There is a wild card, and it's not Jones, who is unlikely to play significant minutes, if any.
It's Bell. The guy who was most likely to make a glaring mental or physical error. The guy who was slapped with a one-game suspension for what amounts to incredibly immature conduct.
He doesn't have a contract beyond this season and for most of the season it was reasonable to believe the Warriors would be reluctant to make a qualifying offer. That's conceivable now.
"Jordan over the last few weeks of the regular season, when he got his opportunities, made the most of them," Kerr said. "He's playing at a really high level now, giving us exactly what we need: speed, energy, athleticism, intelligent play offensively, drive and kick, move the ball.
"He's been fantastic."
The Warriors may have caught a break insofar as the Raptors don't have as much overall length as the Milwaukee Bucks. Among their eight-man rotation, only Gasol, Ibaka and 6-9 Pascal Siakam stand taller than 6-8.
With Cousins' imminent return, the champs are deeper in size even without Durant.

"Our motto is Strength in Numbers," Looney said. "We always play center-by-committee, so having that extra guy (Cousins) to go out there and change the game a bit will be great."
Let the rotation games begin.
concordtom
Who has the edge?

With the Toronto Raptors beating the Milwaukee Bucks in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals Saturday night, the Warriors' NBA Finals matchup is confirmed.
The best-of-seven series will pair the back-to-back defending NBA champions against Kawhi Leonard, Kyle Lowry, Drake (possibly) and a Raptors organization fresh off clinching the first Finals appearance in its 24-year history.
For the first time during their current five-year run, the Warriors will not have home-court advantage, and they could be without injured starters DeMarcus Cousins and Kevin Durant at the onset of the series.
For now, here are the biggest things to watch heading into the series, which starts Thursday night in Toronto.
Projected starting lineups
Warriors
F Andre Iguodala
F Draymond Green
C Andrew Bogut
G Klay Thompson
G Stephen Curry
Raptors
F Pascal Siakam
F Kawhi Leonard
C Marc Gasol
G Kyle Lowry
G Danny Green
The Warriors will be without Durant for at least the start of the series with a calf injury. Cousins, who began practicing with the team this week, could make his return from a torn quad in Game 1 if he continues to progress in his rehab.
Still, the Warriors have the healthy Splash Brother duo of Curry and Thompson, who combined to score nearly 57 points per game in the Western Conference finals.
Meanwhile, Leonard has been productive all postseason for Toronto, averaging 31.2 points, 8.8 rebounds and 3.8 assists in 18 games. Following a breakout season, Siakam was a dependable second scorer in the conference finals. Lowry is a reliable regular-season contributor but has routinely struggled in the playoffs, and a thumb injury could hamper his production.
Edge: Draw (until Durant comes back)
Bench
Like the Warriors, the Raptors have struggled to get contributions from their second unit this season, finishing the regular season 24th in bench scoring.
The postseason hasn't been much better for Toronto, which averaged just 25.1 bench points per game through the first three playoff rounds. Former Warrior Patrick McCaw signed with the Raptors midseason after declining an offer from the Warriors and having a brief stint in Cleveland. However, he's averaging just 2.1 points per game across the regular season and playoffs.
With Durant out, the Warriors have gotten contributions from their bench. Jordan Bell, Quinn Cook and Kevon Looney have stepped up in particular, and all three will be counted on in the Finals.
Edge: Warriors
[RELATED: Iguodala alludes to retirement when asked about workload]
Coaching
Although he wasn't nominated, Toronto's Nick Nurse is putting together a Coach of the Year-worthy campaign. He helped guide the Raptors to 58 wins in his first season, despite Leonard missing 22 games.
Under Nurse's tutelage, the Raptors finished with the league's fifth-best offense, and he oversaw a defense that largely shut down Bucks forward Giannis Antetokounmpo in the final two games of the Eastern Conference finals.
However, Warriors coach Steve Kerr has presided over the best six-year run in NBA history, and is on pace to win his fourth championship in five years.
Edge: Warriors
ClayK
When Portland had Kanter step back on the pick-and-roll, Curry had 33. So they changed up -- and Curry had 37.

I don't think Kawhi would guard Curry the whole game, but in the fourth quarter, who (if you're Toronto) do you want taking the big shots? Curry or Iguodala? Curry or Green? And sure the Green/Curry pick-and-roll is murder, but at the other end, Gasol is a big problem for the Warriors. You can't put Bogut on him because he can shoot threes, and he'll overpower Looney.

Of course, they could play Ibaka instead of Gasol, which makes their pick-and-roll defense better.

And if you put Leonard on Green, Green just stands in a corner and Toronto's best defender isn't a factor -- and Kyle Lowry has to guard Curry. Same thing if Leonard guards Iguodala.

And if Leonard's injury, whatever it is, responds to four days' rest, the Leonard/Curry or Leonard/Thompson matchup makes even more sense. The Warriors only have two scorers at this point, and it would seem pretty foolish not to have one of the best defenders in the game not guard one of them.
ducky23
ClayK said:

When Portland had Kanter step back on the pick-and-roll, Curry had 33. So they changed up -- and Curry had 37.

I don't think Kawhi would guard Curry the whole game, but in the fourth quarter, who (if you're Toronto) do you want taking the big shots? Curry or Iguodala? Curry or Green? And sure the Green/Curry pick-and-roll is murder, but at the other end, Gasol is a big problem for the Warriors. You can't put Bogut on him because he can shoot threes, and he'll overpower Looney.

Of course, they could play Ibaka instead of Gasol, which makes their pick-and-roll defense better.

And if you put Leonard on Green, Green just stands in a corner and Toronto's best defender isn't a factor -- and Kyle Lowry has to guard Curry. Same thing if Leonard guards Iguodala.

And if Leonard's injury, whatever it is, responds to four days' rest, the Leonard/Curry or Leonard/Thompson matchup makes even more sense. The Warriors only have two scorers at this point, and it would seem pretty foolish not to have one of the best defenders in the game not guard one of them.

It's unclear to me whether you understand how the warriors run their offense.

Just one example. If green just stands in a corner, the warriors lose their main ball handler and best passer and it also allows the raptors to play 4 against 5 with their best defender allowed to roam free causing havoc since he won't have to guard green.
ducky23
And sure gasol's size may pose a problem, but if it is, you just give bogut and now cousins more mins to neutralize him.

Both bogut and cousins are more playable in this series since you don't have a harden or lillard running pnrs. The raptors are not pnr heavy and while Lowry can get you a bit, you can try running under high screens against Kawhi and see if he can burn you. Shooting moving threes isn't really kawhi's thing (though he is capable)

I'm not afraid of bogut/cousins guarding gasol on the perimeter because he's not Embiid. You can run gasol off the line without any fear he can drive on you.

And it's not just gasol's pnr defense that is a huge problem. Draymond is gojng to be pushing the ball like crazy with gasol on the floor, even after made baskets. Gasol is probably the slowest of all the centers the dubs have faced this far. The worst thing the raptors can do is allow the warriors to get quick buckets and control the pace.
ClayK
I think Toronto's best bet is play Ibaka a lot, as even though Gasol might shoot threes well, he also might not, in which case Bogut is fine on him (and maybe Cousins).

And I was exaggerating about Green standing in the corner, as indeed he is key ... but Pascal Siakam is a fine matchup for Green. And if Siakam guards Green, then who does Leonard guard? Iguodala? Livingston?

It just doesn't make sense to me to take one of the most powerful weapons in the NBA -- Kawhi Leonard's defense -- and use it on a player who isn't going to determine the outcome of the game.

concordtom
KD out for game 1 and not sure if he's flying to Toronto at all (which would equate to game 2, too).

But cousins....

Meanwhile, DeMarcus Cousins is listed as questionable for Game 1 against Toronto. Cousins has not played since suffering a torn left quad on April 15 during the first round against the Los Angeles Clippers.

It was initially thought Cousins would miss the rest of the playoffs, but he has progressed steadily and is now expected to return at some point in the Finals. However, Kerr acknowledged the difficulty of working Cousins back into the rotation.

"DeMarcus is making good progress right now," Kerr said. "... He's scrimmaged twice, he's working on his conditioning. The good news is his body feels good, his quad feels good, but he's working his way back into shape and into rhythm so this is not a simple dynamic for him and I feel bad for him.

"This is one of the reasons why he came to this team, it was to play in the playoffs and hopefully go to the Finals. We are and with Game 1 just a few days away it's not an easy position to be in."

I think, guessing, Cousins is dressed to play, and they see how it goes. If fouls or injuries, he comes in. Maybe he plays just a couple minutes as a sub to get into the groove. By the end of the series, I expect to see him a fair amt.
I think we need his size. Depth. If he can provide quality play, all the better.
sycasey
If Cousins can go, then I say definitely use him with the second unit. He can feast on the Raptors' backups and take some of the offensive pressure off Steph or Klay (whoever else was left in with the scrubs).
ducky23
sycasey said:

If Cousins can go, then I say definitely use him with the second unit. He can feast on the Raptors' backups and take some of the offensive pressure off Steph or Klay (whoever else was left in with the scrubs).

Agreed. Klay is gojng to need all the help he can get with that 2nd team.

The interesting part will be seeing how Toronto matches up. Will they continue to roll ibaka out there with their 2nd team or play gasol less with the first team and more with the second team (more mins matching up against cousins and less against Steph)

ClayK
The scary times for the Warriors will come when Klay or Steph is on the bench. That means there's only one scorer on the floor for Golden State -- and even an out-of-shape Cousins is more of an offensive threat than Bogut.

That said, I think this is all a smokescreen to force Toronto to spend time preparing for Cousins. I will be surprised if he plays in game one, though I suspect he'll be on the court by game three.
cal83dls79
This guy is hilarious,
Like his Curry but his Brook Lopez is side splitting

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1130901294833688592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1130942334051291137&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fftw.usatoday.com%2F2019%2F05%2Fwarriors-steph-curry-imitation-steve-kerr
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
cal83dls79
This has all the earmarks of a thread during the hoops season where I believe one guy was actually debating himself. Hoops Greg or something like that . Let's face it. The dubs are on the way to another title. Too much firepower. Analysis paralysis aside dubs in 6.
cal83dls79
bearister said:

If the Portland series continues like this then Walton may have to be brought in as a ringer to beef up the color commentary.

at the risk of unearthing my "ASUC BI Troll" thread Walton can't hold a candle to Fiat...plus he's not putting on a #12.
concordtom
ClayK said:

The scary times for the Warriors will come when Klay or Steph is on the bench. That means there's only one scorer on the floor for Golden State -- and even an out-of-shape Cousins is more of an offensive threat than Bogut.

That said, I think this is all a smokescreen to force Toronto to spend time preparing for Cousins. I will be surprised if he plays in game one, though I suspect he'll be on the court by game three.
On The Jump today, Kerr seemed to suggest Cousins will be on the floor tomorrow. Although tepidly!
GMP
JFC can we start this GD series already? This is way too long of a break. I almost don't care.
bearister
cal83dls79 said:

This has all the earmarks of a thread during the hoops season where I believe one guy was actually debating himself. Hoops Greg or something like that . Let's face it. The dubs are on the way to another title. Too much firepower. Analysis paralysis aside dubs in 6.

+1
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GBear4Life
I see all games being in doubt late. That's the trend between two comparable teams in the playoffs. Who wins will depend on a handful of plays, breaks, and shots late in the game.
sonofabear51
For once, I agree with GBear, at least for the time being. Guess we will see. Certainly in Game 1 tomorrow, we will know much more after. If they at least get a split, I think it may be over in 6.

Go Dubs!
Start Slowly and taper off
concordtom
Warriors in 6,
Or Raptors in 7.
concordtom
GBear4Life said:

I see all games being in doubt late. That's the trend between two comparable teams in the playoffs. Who wins will depend on a handful of plays, breaks, and shots late in the game.
We seem to agree on basketball stuff.
If only you could be a witness to truth politically.
concordtom
bearister said:

cal83dls79 said:

+1
I've seen Steph get stuffed and with his shot off before. He also is injury prone.
If he goes down, then you have Klay as your premier scorer, and he also can be streaky.
The warriors appear to not have KD at all, and Boogie is just getting back into the flow.
An argument for a Raptors sweep is not far fetched. Not likely, but if it happened, people would be like, wow, I saw it coming - Steph is past his prime and Klay had a bad series, and beyond that, there are no other proven scorers...Draymond and Iggy and more jack of all trades players.
concordtom
The latest thinking is to put Green on Steph, and Leonard on Iggy, who will stand in the corner, and this will allow Leonard to be a helper, roamer.

Whatever... I look forward to watching it all unfold!
concordtom
This is a good interview from an honest Klay regarding the all-NBA vote which cost him a notch on his resume, as well as $30M.

Sacrifices to being on a stacked team are real!

TheSouseFamily
BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

bearister said:

cal83dls79 said:

+1
I've seen Steph get stuffed and with his shot off before. He also is injury prone.
If he goes down, then you have Klay as your premier scorer, and he also can be streaky.
The warriors appear to not have KD at all, and Boogie is just getting back into the flow.
An argument for a Raptors sweep is not far fetched. Not likely, but if it happened, people would be like, wow, I saw it coming - Steph is past his prime and Klay had a bad series, and beyond that, there are no other proven scorers...Draymond and Iggy and more jack of all trades players.
I cannot believe you are quintupling down on this. You drew this conclusion after a couple playoff games when he was coming back from injury and you dug in on it even through a championship series that many thought he was MVP of. You are still dug in on it after Houston Game 6 and the series he just put up? Is there anything the guy can do to get you off of a hasty conclusion you made off extremely thin evidence. Like if they sweep without Durant and he averages 35 a game, will you change your mind then? Seriously, what does it take?
GMP
concordtom said:

The latest thinking is to put Green on Steph, and Leonard on Iggy, who will stand in the corner, and this will allow Leonard to be a helper, roamer.

I don't get this strategy at all. If Leonard is on Igoudala, and Igoudala is in the corner, the Warriors will run everything from the opposite wing. Leonard can't do much of anything from there. This will take the Raptors' best player out of the play

The strategy that makes much more sense is to put him on Draymond, which will allow Leonard to switch onto Curry on the Steph/Dray pick and rolls, and if that causes the Warriors to use someone else in the pick and roll, then you've taken Draymond completely out of the action on the offensive end. Here's a bit more detail:

Quote:

What LeBron did in the 2016 Finals against the original version of Golden State should be Kawhi's blueprint. Cleveland put LeBron on Draymond Green so that he could switch the screen between Green and Curry and allow everyone else to stay at home on 3-point shooters. Using LeBron in that role allowed the Cavs to keep an elite defender on Curry, eliminating the open 3s he typically gets in the pick-and-roll, while removing four-on-three opportunities for Green, who is at his best when he can play off the extra defensive attention that Curry draws. LeBron did just enough to bottle up the Warriors on defense so that he could carry the Cavs home on offense. Kawhi will have to do the same for the Raptors.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/5/29/18642946/kawhi-leonard-raptors-warriors-lebron
BearSD
GMP said:

concordtom said:

I don't get this strategy at all. If Leonard is on Igoudala, and Igoudala is in the corner, the Warriors will run everything from the opposite wing. Leonard can't do much of anything from there. This will take the Raptors' best player out of the play

The strategy that makes much more sense is to put him on Draymond, which will allow Leonard to switch onto Curry on the Steph/Dray pick and rolls, and if that causes the Warriors to use someone else in the pick and roll, then you've taken Draymond completely out of the action on the offensive end. Here's a bit more detail:

Quote:

What LeBron did in the 2016 Finals against the original version of Golden State should be Kawhi's blueprint. Cleveland put LeBron on Draymond Green so that he could switch the screen between Green and Curry and allow everyone else to stay at home on 3-point shooters. Using LeBron in that role allowed the Cavs to keep an elite defender on Curry, eliminating the open 3s he typically gets in the pick-and-roll, while removing four-on-three opportunities for Green, who is at his best when he can play off the extra defensive attention that Curry draws. LeBron did just enough to bottle up the Warriors on defense so that he could carry the Cavs home on offense. Kawhi will have to do the same for the Raptors.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/5/29/18642946/kawhi-leonard-raptors-warriors-lebron
The argument is that Kawhi "will have to" play as well as peak LeBron for the Raptors to win?
GMP
BearSD said:

GMP said:

concordtom said:

Quote:

The argument is that Kawhi "will have to" play as well as peak LeBron for the Raptors to win?
That's why it would be called an "upset".
ducky23
GMP said:

concordtom said:

Quote:

Agreed, I've been saying this from the beginning.

If they put Kawhi on Iggy, it'll be a gift.

If they put Kawhi on Steph for extended mins. it'll be a gift. The one thing Kawhi does not excel at is running thru screens, let alone multiple screens in one possession. its just a waste of his talents to put him on steph until the end of the game, when steph will have the ball in his hands more.

ducky23
There are two things I'm going to be looking for in Game 1. I believe these two things will dictate how the series is going to go

1. How much air space are Steph/Klay going to get off the ball. will the raptors switch every off ball screen? how connected will they be? How timely will the help be (not the help on the first pass, but the 2nd pass). Will there be any lapses in concentration? How will they defend the multiple split cuts? Will they allow back cuts or allow the off ball screener to roll to the basket.

Its just not easy to defend this team (that is constantly moving) unless you're someone like Houston who has seen it before and knows what it takes to defend it. Houston is tough, physical and has very few mental lapses. Lets see if Toronto can duplicate that. Its one things to have the personnel to defend the warriors, its a whole another deal to actually have the stamina and mental fortitude to do it for the entire game.

2. Will the Warriors be able to control the pace? How many turnovers can the dubs generate? Will they be able to get out and run on missed shots and even made shots? How much energy does Draymond have left? Is he going to be able to push on every possession?

What I want to see (i doubt it will happen) is have Jordan Bell start and just have Bell and Draymond push push push and run Gasol off the court from the start. I understand Bell could get a bit pushed around by Gasol, but there are ways to mitigate that. I think its more important for the Warriors to send a message from the opening tip and tell the Raptors, 'this series is going to be a track meet and if you want to stay on the court, you need to keep up.'

If the Raptors can keep it to a half court game and take away all the air space, the Warriors are in huge trouble (assuming no Durant). But if the dubs get at least one of the two, they should win. If they get both, it'll be a very short series.
concordtom
I think the latest I heard the Leonard on Iggy so he can rest, and help as secondary defender, was from Jalen Rose.

I used to like him, but am starting to dislike his commentary. Fat Mouth know-it-all.
concordtom
Yesterday interview Rachel Nichols with Kyle Lowry and he let out that he can't feel his thumb due to pain injections.

I thought, Draymond is going to slap that hard
sycasey
concordtom said:

I think the latest I heard the Leonard on Iggy so he can rest, and help as secondary defender, was from Jalen Rose.
Yeah, that sounds like not a great idea. But if Kawhi is really that worn down then it may be necessary.
NYCGOBEARS
Welp, jinxed from the get go. During the national anthems we get a fat kid who sang off key and looks like he's just delivered a pizza and Canada gets three uber handsome guys in three piece suits who just nail "Oh, Canada". Then all three commentators predict Toronto to win. Screw Canada.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.