Warriors 2019 playoff thread

101,686 Views | 1110 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by philbert
Yogi58
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

I am going to put subtitles on for the post game pressie because I cannot understand a single word of Mike D'Antoni's gibberish.
That guy was suffering. He didn't mince words.
sycasey
ducky23 said:

Huge performance from the entire bench. Nearly every single one of them played well (including Livingston!)

I loved that the bench didn't play afraid and stayed aggressive. And maybe bell does deserve a little more PT. He altered at least 2-3 shots, rebounded and ran the floor. If he plays with that type of energy, you can live with a few of his mistakes.
Yeah, I think everyone made a contribution. An actual return to Strength in Numbers!

Those guys not getting a lot of minutes before might have been the reason they had energy.
sycasey
sycasey said:

GMP said:

concordtom said:

Oh my God, the Rockets are ****ing chokers!

I don't agree. The Warriors took that sh-t.

They did, though it was yet another fourth quarter disappearance by Harden (until the game was out of reach).
I rewatched and may have to amend that. Harden did make some shots when the game was still within reach, but he also had three bad turnovers (including one on an inbounds pass). Not entirely a disappearance, but also not a good performance down the stretch.
ducky23
sycasey said:

sycasey said:

GMP said:

concordtom said:

Oh my God, the Rockets are ****ing chokers!

I don't agree. The Warriors took that sh-t.

They did, though it was yet another fourth quarter disappearance by Harden (until the game was out of reach).
I rewatched and may have to amend that. Harden did make some shots when the game was still within reach, but he also had three bad turnovers (including one on an inbounds pass). Not entirely a disappearance, but also not a good performance down the stretch.

Houston lost that game in the first half. When Steph is on the bench and they had klay out there with no one else who could shoot, the rockets needed a killer instinct. Instead they turned the ball over, gave up offensive rebounds and played with very little energy.

It's just strange how little urgency they were playing with considering this wasn't just their season on the line but arguably their entire career was on the line.
ducky23
So do you root for the blazers or nuggets?

I know the dubs dominated the nuggets during the regular season, but I'm still afraid of jokic (especially without boogie). I don't like the prospect of seeing draymond having to guard him for long stretches. I think with jokic and millsap, that's a ton of size for the short handed dubs to contend with.

Lillard is probably the best player on either team, but I think their front court is really weak, especially with nurkic out. I don't see how Kanter is playable for the blazers (considering capela got exposed against the dubs) and Kanter is even a worse perimeter defender. And I don't think the blazers have a small lineup (like the tuck wagon lineup) that can keep up the the Hamptons 5. Plus the blazers can't defend (especially not like Houston).

Yogi58
ducky23 said:

I know the dubs dominated the nuggets during the regular season, but I'm still afraid of jokic (especially without boogie). I don't like the prospect of seeing draymond having to guard him for long stretches. I think with jokic and millsap, that's a ton of size for the short handed dubs to contend with.

Lillard is probably the best player on either team, but I think their front court is really weak, especially with nurkic out. I don't see how Kanter is playable for the blazers (considering capela got exposed against the dubs) and Kanter is even a worse perimeter defender. And I don't think the blazers have a small lineup (like the tuck wagon lineup) that can keep up the the Hamptons 5. Plus the blazers can't defend (especially not like Houston).
I'm ambivalent about which team they play, though I really like what the Nuggets have done and like a lot of their players.

I think Bogut can matchup decently enough with Jokic and that Looney can take some minutes on Millsap.
concordtom
This is the Rockets owner. Tillman Fertitta.
You've got to love this attitude, it's what makes the league a real competitive league!
While some owners, like the old clippers idiot was content to throw crumbs out there, collect his losses and his tv shared riches from everyone else, while many teams have losing head offices who are as excited about winning the Zion lottery, this guy breathes competitive fire. That's a real testament to himself, his org, and the league.

Respect!

NVGolfingBear
I have to question whether D'Antoni's 3 and D system works well enough for a championship. Harden was 11 of 25 last night. What would happen if 2 of those 14 misses were passes that led to baskets? We will never know...but what if?

Wonder if Chris Paul will alter his contract - 34 year old with some 120+ million contract - to create some cap room to fill out the Rockets roster.

Champions play for something else besides money.
sycasey
ducky23 said:

I think Bogut and Looney can be deployed to handle Jokic and do a passable job.

On the other end, I don't think the Nuggets are a good matchup against the Warriors offense at all. I think I'd rather get them.
GBear4Life
NVGolfingBear said:

I have to question whether D'Antoni's 3 and D system works well enough for a championship. Harden was 11 of 25 last night. What would happen if 2 of those 14 misses were passes that led to baskets? We will never know...but what if?

Wonder if Chris Paul will alter his contract - 34 year old with some 120+ million contract - to create some cap room to fill out the Rockets roster.

Uh, if not for this unique GS team, HOU is probably on its way to its 2nd straight title.
GBear4Life
Morey thinks he's letting down Harden by not delivering him a championship [team], as he acknowledges Harden will be most likely the best player he'll ever have and his window is only a few more years.

But there's not a lot Morey can do here to improve the team. They have no cap space. Paul is tied up through age 38 at near $40 million. They have one mid-level exception, otherwise they'll have to make a trade where the traded salaries work.

HOU, like Utah during Malone/Stockton vs Bulls, is a victim of timing.

If Harden and Paul want to win and want the org to improve their team, put your money where your mouth. But I don't think the players' union will allow restructuring contracts to a lesser value.
concordtom
The warriors have incredible character.
I love this interview:

concordtom
And this is amazing as well:

ducky23
NVGolfingBear said:

I respectfully disagree. To beat a fully healthy warriors team, I think the rockets may have the only system that can beat them (unless you have a team with close to as much talent - maybe the bucks have that team - doubt it though). If you don't have similar talent, you have to game the system somehow.

First, their defensive strategy is ideal. Having a bunch of similar sized middle linebackers (and this is the key), who can switch off ball screens, is the only way I see to slow down the dubs offense. You can't just let steph and klay run around off ball screens, that's death. So switching everything forces the dubs into iso ball and that's where the dubs get less efficient. Only reason Houston failed last night is because their defensive effort and focus was subpar compared to previous efforts.

On offense, playing a slowed down tempo iso ball is ideal cause you limit turnovers, limit possessions, prevent the dubs from getting into transition, and basically muck up the game. The only things I'd change with their offense is that it needs a little more flexibility, because in key moments, their offense is too predictable. Their penchant to try to draw fouls is also a stupid way to play once playoffs start.

I think Houston could've done it, but the one fatal mistake was signing capela and not ariza. That one move could've been the difference in an extremely tight series.

I truly believe that unless you have an all-star center who can dominate the game, traditional centers are not playable against the dubs in the playoffs since the dubs play small so often.
sycasey
LOL CP3 is so damn petty.

ClayK
I thought the Rockets would win the series, and I was completely wrong.

I thought Chris Paul had enough to be the leader, and James Harden could deliver -- and though both statements were true, they weren't true enough. Paul made a defensive mistake late (Tim Legler pointed it out on SportsCenter) and took just one shot down the stretch (Gerald Green took one?).

Harden made some shots, but unlike Curry and Thompson, missed when they needed him most.

How the Rockets could lose to the Warriors without Durant and Cousins is a complete mystery to me. This should have been an easy win for Houston, setting up a huge game seven against an exhausted Warriors' lineup, but the Rockets just didn't have it in them.

I'm stunned but happy ... and hoping the Warriors stay alive long enough for Durant to return.
ducky23
concordtom said:

The warriors have incredible character.
I love this interview:

Klay's post game interviews with kerith burke are the best.
The dude is just such a normal guy. He's easily my favorite athlete just personality wise.
concordtom
I think Harden needs to shave the beard

ducky23
sycasey said:

LOL CP3 is so damn petty.

Yeah I read that too. Windhorst was reporting on espn that all the players were yelling Chris paul's name last night (with expletives) in the post game locker room celebration. I was wondering why. Now we know. Guy is just such a joke. Way to give your opponent even more energy.
HoopDreams
Without KD and his iso ball, warriors reverted to 5 players moving, setting screens, passing to get curry and klay a shot, or to get a basket off a green or curry assist

No bad shots from a role player

They were the Ws first championship team without the depth

Still the bench stepped it up and got it done

Amazing win
sycasey
HoopDreams said:

Without KD and his iso ball, warriors reverted to 5 players moving, setting screens, passing to get curry and klay a shot, or to get a basket off a green or curry assist

No bad shots from a role player

They were the Ws first championship team without the depth

Still the bench stepped it up and got it done

Amazing win

Turns out the bench actually wasn't that bad when asked to play.

Livingston started scoring again. Looney stepped up his offensive rebounding and punished the Rockets for leaving him alone. Bogut played good D and made some nice passes. Even Quinn Cook looked passable on defense, something I definitely did NOT expect.

Feels like that team concept Kerr introduced hasn't ever really gone away and it carries them in tough moments.
GBear4Life
ducky23 said:

Yeah I read that too. Windhorst was reporting on espn that all the players were yelling Chris paul's name last night (with expletives) in the post game locker room celebration. I was wondering why. Now we know. Guy is just such a joke. Way to give your opponent even more energy.
I don't have a subscription to The Athletic, but I heard Windhorst's comments about Paul last night.

Please share the underlying reason for the CP3 dislike from GS
GBear4Life
I think Capela is more valuable to HOU than Ariza
HoopDreams
Maybe Ws knocking them out of playoffs 4 times out of 4 has something to do with it

GBear4Life said:

ducky23 said:

I don't have a subscription to The Athletic, but I heard Windhorst's comments about Paul last night.

ducky23
GBear4Life said:

I think Capela is more valuable to HOU than Ariza

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thedreamshake.com/platform/amp/2019/5/2/18525767/golden-state-warriors-are-just-a-bad-matchup-for-clint-capela-houston-rockets

How so? What does he add exactly? Especially when the dubs are dominating the boards and abusing him with pnrs?

I think I saw somewhere his plus/minus for the series was the worst of all the starters and it wasn't even close.

There's a reason Houston went to the tuck wagon lineup so much

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2019/5/11/18616097/houston-rockets-missing-piece-james-harden

"No rocket suffered more from facing that type of defense than capela, who became nearly unplayable against the warriors....Houston had a jaw dropping net rating of minus -15.2 in his 172 minutes on the floor during the series."
bearister
GBear4Life said:

..Please share the underlying reason for the CP3 dislike from GS

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

It definitely goes back to the Lob City Clippers, when they and the Warriors were the top contenders in the same division. They beat the Dubs in a 7-game playoff series back in 2014 (the year before GSW started dominating). Familiarity breeds contempt.

Plus at this point everyone is familiar with CP3 being a big-time flopper.
BearlyCareAnymore
GBear4Life said:

NVGolfingBear said:

Uh, if not for this unique GS team, HOU is probably on its way to its 2nd straight title.

Uh, if not for this GS team, Harden and Paul and the rest of their flopping team who spends their time whining about their audits of officials instead of getting better would have found someone else to choke against.
Yogi58
ducky23 said:

NVGolfingBear said:

I respectfully disagree. To beat a fully healthy warriors team, I think the rockets may have the only system that can beat them (unless you have a team with close to as much talent - maybe the bucks have that team - doubt it though). If you don't have similar talent, you have to game the system somehow.

First, their defensive strategy is ideal. Having a bunch of similar sized middle linebackers (and this is the key), who can switch off ball screens, is the only way I see to slow down the dubs offense. You can't just let steph and klay run around off ball screens, that's death. So switching everything forces the dubs into iso ball and that's where the dubs get less efficient. Only reason Houston failed last night is because their defensive effort and focus was subpar compared to previous efforts.

On offense, playing a slowed down tempo iso ball is ideal cause you limit turnovers, limit possessions, prevent the dubs from getting into transition, and basically muck up the game. The only things I'd change with their offense is that it needs a little more flexibility, because in key moments, their offense is too predictable. Their penchant to try to draw fouls is also a stupid way to play once playoffs start.

I think Houston could've done it, but the one fatal mistake was signing capela and not ariza. That one move could've been the difference in an extremely tight series.

I truly believe that unless you have an all-star center who can dominate the game, traditional centers are not playable against the dubs in the playoffs since the dubs play small so often.
I dunno. I don't really think it's about systems, it's about talent. And the scores were so close that something small could've turned the series their way.

I personally think the Warriors' defensive plan vs. Houston is silly. I would never allow them to dictate who guards Harden. I would play old school defense, fight over the screen, and funnel Harden towards my big man if he tried to go to the rim. He's not such a good percentage shooter on 3's that I'm worried about him getting that little window to shoot an open 3.

I'm personally a Capela fan and never been a big Ariza fan. Ariza misses too many shots and while he's a good defender, he's not so good that it makes up for his poor shooting. I personally am a Capela fan. He gets better every year and he's young. Defends, rebounds, finishes at a very high percentage.

Most of the time in the NBA, championships come down to who has the best player in the league. I know Harden has an MVP in his back pocket, but when they talk about who the best player in the league is (as opposed to who wins the award), nobody ever says Harden. Often, they've said Lebron and a lot of times they've been right, but those days might be over. The Warriors have had several years with two MVP level players and that's something no other team in the league can match.

I think the Bucks have a good chance to beat the Warriors. They do everything about as well as the Warriors and they have a guy who is in the conversation as the best player in the league and probably the hardest guy to guard in the game.
ducky23
Yogi Bear said:

ducky23 said:

NVGolfingBear said:

I dunno. I don't really think it's about systems, it's about talent. And the scores were so close that something small could've turned the series their way.

I personally think the Warriors' defensive plan vs. Houston is silly. I would never allow them to dictate who guards Harden. I would play old school defense, fight over the screen, and funnel Harden towards my big man if he tried to go to the rim. He's not such a good percentage shooter on 3's that I'm worried about him getting that little window to shoot an open 3.

I'm personally a Capela fan and never been a big Ariza fan. Ariza misses too many shots and while he's a good defender, he's not so good that it makes up for his poor shooting. I personally am a Capela fan. He gets better every year and he's young. Defends, rebounds, finishes at a very high percentage.

Most of the time in the NBA, championships come down to who has the best player in the league. I know Harden has an MVP in his back pocket, but when they talk about who the best player in the league is (as opposed to who wins the award), nobody ever says Harden. Often, they've said Lebron and a lot of times they've been right, but those days might be over. The Warriors have had several years with two MVP level players and that's something no other team in the league can match.

I think the Bucks have a good chance to beat the Warriors. They do everything about as well as the Warriors and they have a guy who is in the conversation as the best player in the league and probably the hardest guy to guard in the game.

Ok I'll say it again.

Capela had the worst plus/minus of ANY player on either team this series with a -47. The next worse player was a -25.

Houston's net rating while he was on the floor was an astronomical -15.2. Again worst of any player.

- The clippers starting center averaged 20mins a game with the clips during the regular season. During the last three games against the dubs, he played a total of two mins.

- capela, by any reliable metric, was the worst player on the court in the series

- if the dubs play the blazers, Kanter will become unplayable.

The playoffs is not the regular season. You play against the same team over and over. You gameplan for the same team day after day. If any team has a defensive weakness it will be exploited exhaustively.

There is no better lineup that can exploit a weakness than the Hampton's 5. The only way a true center can play against that lineup is if the center is all-star caliber or he has an uncanny ability to defend the perimeter.

IMHO if you are building a team with the sole purpose of beating the warriors, you put together a bunch of long 6-7 dudes who can switch everything.

Yogi58
ducky23 said:

Yogi Bear said:

ducky23 said:

NVGolfingBear said:

Ok I'll say it again.

Capela had the worst plus/minus of ANY player on either team this series with a -47. The next worse player was a -25.

Houston's net rating while he was on the floor was an astronomical -15.2. Again worst of any player.

- The clippers starting center averaged 20mins a game with the clips during the regular season. During the last three games against the dubs, he played a total of two mins.

- capela, by any reliable metric, was the worst player on the court in the series

- if the dubs play the blazers, Kanter will become unplayable.

The playoffs is not the regular season. You play against the same team over and over. You gameplan for the same team day after day. If any team has a defensive weakness it will be exploited exhaustively.

There is no better lineup that can exploit a weakness than the Hampton's 5. The only way a true center can play against that lineup is if the center is all-star caliber or he has an uncanny ability to defend the perimeter.

IMHO if you are building a team with the sole purpose of beating the warriors, you put together a bunch of long 6-7 dudes who can switch everything.
I don't believe in plus/minus in small samples.
ClayK
A couple notes:

*Fight over the screen? And exactly how are you going to do that without a) fouling or b) trailing a great player by a foot or so?

The footwork for getting over a screen requires a mistake by the screener and/or the ballhandler, and players at this level not only don't make many mistakes, they've been working on setting up a pick-and-roll since they were down at the park at age 10.

The reason fighting over the screen is old school is that it doesn't work any more, just like throwing the ball to a big guy on the block doesn't work as well as it used to either.

*So I rewatched the last 11 minutes of the game to see exactly how Houston blew that seven-point lead, and it was an incredible series of mistakes by the Rockets. Yes, Curry was great and the Warriors played really well, but Houston just made error after error. Some highlights:

-Houston's up seven and Green takes and misses the next two shots, and then turns the ball over. Why is Gerald Green doing anything at this point, much less having the ball in his hands three straight possessions?

-The Warriors went on the floor twice to get steals (Livingston and Thompson). The Rockets did not.

-The Rockets made very small, one-step defensive errors that allowed Curry to make one of his threes and Thompson to hit the dagger off the pass from Iguodala. On that one, P.J. Tucker relaxed while watching Draymond go to the hoop instead of rotating. If he takes one step towards Klay while Draymond is driving, Thompson is not open for that three that made it 110-104. Also, Capela didn't step out on Curry, Paul watched the ball instead of Curry.

*The Rockets are done. Harden will be 30 before next season and will not get better. He might not be a lot worse, but 30-year-olds don't get better in this league. Paul will be 35. Capela isn't a star (he's good). Like a lot of really good teams (the Pacers when James was in Cleveland), sometimes the window is open when there happens to be a great team. Bad luck, really ...
NVGolfingBear
"-Houston's up seven and Green takes and misses the next two shots, and then turns the ball over. Why is Gerald Green doing anything at this point, much less having the ball in his hands three straight possessions?"

Somewhat facetiously, I will say because Houston was running an iso for either Paul or Harden with the other 4 players literally standing still, I mean standing STILL!

If one wants to run the same play over and over and over... the Warriors are going to figure out how to best play it, maybe not stop it, but force that one or two misses they need to, I don't know, maybe win by one or two baskets, duh.

Houston basketball is so boring to me that I tracked the game and then watched the last 3 minutes live. I don't think the Rockets will ever beat the W's (okay, the woofing Gods have noticed this comment) with their current lineup. They are getting older and until I see Paul renegotiate his contract to free up some cap room, especially considering he is 34+, I don't think they can't fill out a decent bench.
oskidunker
NVGolfingBear said:

"-Houston's up seven and Green takes and misses the next two shots, and then turns the ball over. Why is Gerald Green doing anything at this point, much less having the ball in his hands three straight possessions?"

Somewhat facetiously, I will say because Houston was running an iso for either Paul or Harden with the other 4 players literally standing still, I mean standing STILL!

If one wants to run the same play over and over and over... the Warriors are going to figure out how to best play it, maybe not stop it, but force that one or two misses they need to, I don't know, maybe win by one or two baskets, duh.

Houston basketball is so boring to me that I tracked the game and then watched the last 3 minutes live. I don't think the Rockets will ever beat the W's (okay, the woofing Gods have noticed this comment) with their current lineup. They are getting older and until I see Paul renegotiate his contract to free up some cap room, especially considering he is 34+, I don't think they can't fill out a decent bench.
One of my friends agrees with you as to how boring Houston is to watch He went to a few Clippers games at a Oracle but refused to pay what they wanted to watch Houston.
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
ok that Kawhi Leonard shot was historic

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.