Impeachment #2 Thread

45,173 Views | 540 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
BearForce2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I understand this is a difficult day for you.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
chazzed
MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Dems: WE WANT WITNESSES!!!!
Repubs: Okay, we'll call in Nancy Pelosi first under oath.
Dems: Okay I think we have heard enough, lets put this trial to a vote.
OR
you could listen to what Raskin, and team, said about "no witnesses".

And McConnell basically proved their point in his post-vote Senate Floor speech: that the House Managers overwhelmingly proved their case but the Republicans were never going to vote to convict based upon McConnell's self-created strategy where the trial couldn't happen while Trump was President.

Basically, McConnell created an escape clause for Trump, and they galloped that home in order to save the party from shame.

You can continue to stick your head in the ground along with the rest of the crazy Deplorables.

McConnell and Trump's lawyers suggested the Courts be the ones who can convict private citizen Trump.
I'm sure we'll hear you back here claiming Dems are radical should that case hit a docket.

Gee, let's see who is radical here:

It's really not, because the outcome was expected and because Republican Senators had to go on record.

In any case, your orange god has been replaced by a reasonable politician in the WH and Democrats control both the House and the Senate. Sleep well the next two years.
dimitrig
concordtom said:

And McConnell basically proved their point in his post-vote Senate Floor speech: that the House Managers overwhelmingly proved their case but the Republicans were never going to vote to convict based upon McConnell's self-created strategy where the trial couldn't happen while Trump was President.

So why didn't Nancy send over the articles of impeachment right away?
dajo9
The end result of the impeachment was a foregone conclusion and expected by just about everybody who supported it. The impeachment was important for America to let history know something happened here that a bipartisan majority of the Senate believed was a high crime or misdemeanor. That has never happened before. Trump is the only President in the history of the country to receive guilty votes from his own party. He received 7 of them today.

Trump will go down in history as America's worst President ever. An embarrassment to the Country, to the Electoral College that put him in office, to the Republican Party, and to all his supporters, whether they realize it or not.

Trump has been impeached twice. He was rejected from reelection in the broadest, largest, most inclusive vote ever in the history of the country. Two time loser of the popular vote. Loser of the House and the Senate. America's biggest political loser ever.
American Vermin
going4roses
Americans won't fight for Medicare for All in a pandemic
They won't fight for $2000 monthly UBI in an economic crisis.
They won't fight for a Green New Deal in a climate crisis.
They won't fight back against Republicans.
So what do they fight for?

THEIR. CORPORATE. DONORS.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Econ For Dummies
MAGABear said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

Honestly, that was more Republican votes than I expected.

Yeah, I think this is slightly better than one of Cal Football or Basketball's famous "moral victories".

The 43 Republican Senators will forever have this vote on their record. Who knows, they may at some point regret it.

I wonder if McConnell spent this week fishing around to see if there might've been nine more Republicans who could've voted to convict. He could've been the 67th vote, but he wasn't about to be the 58th.

Yeah, pretty much.

This wasn't quite Aaron Rodgers against USC in 2004, maybe closer to the hard fought Washington game in 1991. We weren't that close to winning, but it was good show.

One thing he won't be winning is any more national presidential races. Probably any criminal cases either.
going4roses
MinotStateBeav
concordtom
MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Dems: WE WANT WITNESSES!!!!
Repubs: Okay, we'll call in Nancy Pelosi first under oath.
Dems: Okay I think we have heard enough, lets put this trial to a vote.
OR
you could listen to what Raskin, and team, said about "no witnesses".

Basically, McConnell created an escape clause for Trump, and they galloped that home in order to save the party from shame.

You can continue to stick your head in the ground along with the rest of the crazy Deplorables.

McConnell and Trump's lawyers suggested the Courts be the ones who can convict private citizen Trump.
I'm sure we'll hear you back here claiming Dems are radical should that case hit a docket.

Gee, let's see who is radical here:

January 6 was a very good day for me.
Georgia was in the bag, meaning that McConnell out OUT as majority leader (better for Biden), and Trump overplayed his hand and caused his own ridicule and shame for which he will always be remembered.
I celebrated with a drink.

Feb 13 is my step-mother's birthday and the day in which you went online to mock people who celebrated his downfall. Figure it out. I laugh in the face of your attempts.
concordtom
dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

So why didn't Nancy send over the articles of impeachment right away?

Politics are messy.
McConnell had pre-announced his strategy ("there's not enough time"). The alternative strategy was that he could have controlled the Trial same way he did the first one, making a mockery of it as a trial. He could have dictated the procedure of the trial and shut down how House Managers presented, disallowing various things they wanted to do, put it to a quick vote.
The way it turned out was the best it was ever going to get for Democrats. As it was, 7 Republicans voted GUILTY, McConnell gave a GUILTY speech afterwards with his tail between his legs in an attempt to save his own face, and the GOPQ is splintered and weakened.

She also had the incoming Biden inauguration to consider.

She played her hand "good enough" considering the fact she was playing poker with the obstructive deniers of rationality that she was dealing with!

concordtom
dajo9 said:

The end result of the impeachment was a foregone conclusion and expected by just about everybody who supported it. The impeachment was important for America to let history know something happened here that a bipartisan majority of the Senate believed was a high crime or misdemeanor. That has never happened before. Trump is the only President in the history of the country to receive guilty votes from his own party. He received 7 of them today.

Trump will go down in history as America's worst President ever. An embarrassment to the Country, to the Electoral College that put him in office, to the Republican Party, and to all his supporters, whether they realize it or not.

Trump has been impeached twice. He was rejected from reelection in the broadest, largest, most inclusive vote ever in the history of the country. Two time loser of the popular vote. Loser of the House and the Senate. America's biggest political loser ever.
Parting shot of his supporters for which he will be remembered.
Anyone who aligns with Trump from here on out stands with these people.

LATE EDIT/ADD:

MinotStateBeav
concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

Cool..cool. I'm fine aligning myself with the 500k outside the state capital. As a side note, Nancy Pelosi is the first speaker to lose 2 impeachments. She was big mad yesterday. She can go home and eat her ice cream now.
bearister
Upcoming Medal of Freedom recipients announced:

*This graphic is being made into a sticker backed with industrial strength adhesive, 50,000 of which will be secretly placed in every nook and cranny of Mar a Lago.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calpoly
MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

Cool..cool. I'm fine aligning myself with the 500k outside the state capital. As a side note, Nancy Pelosi is the first speaker to lose 2 impeachments. She was big mad yesterday. She can go home and eat her ice cream now.
You are an idiot. tRump WAS impeached twice.
going4roses
bearister said:

*This graphic is being made into a sticker backed with industrial strength adhesive, 50,000 of which will be secretly placed in every nook and cranny of Mar a Lago.

It Would be really interesting to see those whom voted against the impeachment and their votes on certifying of the new president elect. Those were the same ones that supported the capital hill police murder/mess.

So..... impeaching trump was never going to happen
MinotStateBeav
calpoly said:

MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

What part of not guilty doesn't register with you?
calpoly
MinotStateBeav said:

calpoly said:

MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

You said:"As a side note, Nancy Pelosi is the first speaker to lose 2 impeachments"

Was he impeached? Yes he was. Case close idiot!
BearChemist
MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

There are plenty of confederate flags outside and you are fine aligning with them? Deplorable.
sycasey
calpoly said:

MinotStateBeav said:

calpoly said:

MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

You said:"As a side note, Nancy Pelosi is the first speaker to lose 2 impeachments"

Was he impeached? Yes he was. Case close idiot!
As I noted in another thread, celebrating the avoidance of two impeachment convictions is like throwing a parade for winning the NIT. Congratulations, you won the loser's bracket.
AunBear89
This dope doesn't understand impeachment is the same as indictment. Not conviction.

It's the conviction part where the spineless hypocrites of the Grift Old Party tucked their tales and licked Trump and the MAGAts' arses.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
concordtom
Sounds like a McConnell - Graham split is underway:

at 4:40, Claire Mckaskell says that McConnell made the post-vote speech because:
1) He hates Trump and blames him for McConnell losing the majority
2) He wants to curry favor with big donors.
However, he wasn't going to be able to bring along 9 additional Convict votes, and even if he had, and there were 17 Convict, there would have still been 33 Not Guilty votes, and that would have put him in the Minority within his own party - hard to maintain leadership of the Senate Republicans when you just voted against their majority.

Meanwhile, over on Fox, Lindsey says that McConnell is going to have a battle for leadership on his hands:
At 11:22, he says McConnell is going to be center stage from now on (as in, a target on his back).

Lindsey says that "Trump Plus" is the best path forward for the GOP in 2022 and that they need Trump to move forward.
He also threatens to impeach Kamala for raising funds to bail out BLM arrestees as a result of this recent impeachment.
He makes false statements about this impeachment being unfair because he was impeached with no lawyer present. So, he also doesn't believe those clowns were not lawyers - interesting. He also says it was too quick (48 hours) to issue an impeachment, with no evidence, no witness, no ability to cross examine those speaking against you (no
He calls for a 9/11 commission to get all the truth out on the table.

Wallace plays a tape of Graham blaming Trump for the riot, then flip flopping his own statements.

Graham is a real peach of a liar, presenting all sorts of falsehoods here.

"The Trump Movement is alive and well. -- The most potent force within the Republican Party is Trump."
Wow - stark contrast to McConnell's speech.

He finished by stating the Lara Trump represents the future of the Republican Party and the path is now wide open for her in NC Senate run.
TRUMP MUST REALLY HAVE THE DOSSIER GOODS ON GRAHAM.

I wonder if Graham is going to challenge McConnell for Minority Leader within the Senate.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
oskidunker
What happened to "I'm out" ?
Go Bears!
concordtom
bearister said:

I wouldn't go so far just for doing something as difficult as saying "Guilty" after they carried Trump's water for 4 years.
Rather, they simply don't have to go to jail for failure to adhere to the law, which demanded a guilty vote.

concordtom
MinotStateBeav said:

Cool..cool. I'm fine aligning myself with the 500k outside the state capital.
Are you the guy with the crutch, the hockey stick, or the flag pole as you smash windows and injure police as you trespass: "Felonies, High Crimes, and Misdemeanors."
What's your address so we can inform the FBI to come and arrest you?

concordtom
MinotStateBeav said:

calpoly said:

MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

What part of 57 GUILTY do you not understand?
Go listen to McConnell's speech, please.
Trump got off on a Republican created technicality that only they believe in.
Justice was not served.
Trump is finished, bub. But feel free to ride his coattails all the way to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. Don't breathe in before the pressure crushes you.
concordtom
MinotStateBeav said:

As a side note, Nancy Pelosi is the first speaker to lose 2 impeachments.
Correction:
She's the first Speaker to pass 2 impeachments in the House.
Trump is the first President to be impeached twice.
dajo9
I invite the white Senator from South Carolina to begin the push to impeach Kamala Harris for working to help BLM protesters who are arrested.
American Vermin
blungld
concordtom said:

Lindsey says that "Trump Plus" is the best path forward for the GOP in 2022 and that they need Trump to move forward.
Lindsey must be deathly afraid of Trump leaking more of his sexual dalliances to the public. He is a good old boy who wishes to remain in the closet. Apparently his personal shame and embarrassmen is more important than the fate of the nation.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
blungld
MinotStateBeav said:

He was not found "not guilty" no matter how the GOP tried to reframe the Senate vote. He was found guilty--hence impeached twice by the House. He was THEN released from consequence by Trump loyalists in the Senate. Celebrate whatever you wan to celebrate but at least have the decency to be factually correct and understand what actually happened. Context and bias and political motivation tells the whole story. Go ahead and cheer on Trumpies for finding another weasel way out, but don't act like this is vindication and he did nothing wrong.

The most embarrassing thing about your posts is that you do not seem embarrassed by them.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
MinotStateBeav
blungld said:

MinotStateBeav said:

He was not found "not guilty" no matter how the GOP tried to reframe the Senate vote. He was found guilty--hence impeached twice by the House. He was THEN released from consequence by Trump loyalists in the Senate. Celebrate whatever you wan to celebrate but at least have the decency to be factually correct and understand what actually happened. Context and bias and political motivation tells the whole story. Go ahead and cheer on Trumpies for finding another weasel way out, but don't act like this is vindication and he did nothing wrong.

The most embarrassing thing about your posts is that you do not seem embarrassed by them.
Acquitted is the absence of guilt. Please spare me your garbage about "Context and Bias" after the last 4 years. You seem more concerned whether or not I'm celebrating which is honestly kinda weird.
concordtom
blungld said:

concordtom said:

Lindsey must be deathly afraid of Trump leaking more of his sexual dalliances to the public. He is a good old boy who wishes to remain in the closet. Apparently his personal shame and embarrassmen is more important than the fate of the nation.
It's very much "a conspiracy theory", but it's the explanation I'm going with!

We've worked the speculation over here and I believe it.

I told the story of my trip to Moscow in 1990 and how (I believe) they tried to entrap me with an attractive young woman creating some sudden invention of a story/conflict with her boyfriend to get me upstairs in my hotel room at the Cosmos. I believe the narratives I've heard about the long slow play of turning people over, and I believe Graham must be in their hands big time. He is completely corrupted because he flip flops so much and stands for nothing.

I believe there's a file on me in Moscow, and I believe there's a file on my brother, too (he failed the test). I believe Lindsey also failed the test long, long ago. He knows they've got the goods on him and he's deathly afraid of being exposed. It's very sad, because there's nothing wrong with being homosexual. Sexuality is as natural as breathing. But the fundamentalist christian perspective runs deep. It's a brainwashing of maleducation. I lived that, once, too.

Humans are folly. Just read Shakespeare, he had it figured out long ago. Or the ancient greek tragedies...
concordtom
MinotStateBeav said:

Acquitted is the absence of guilt. Please spare me your garbage about "Context and Bias" after the last 4 years. You seem more concerned whether or not I'm celebrating which is honestly kinda weird.
The stipulation for 2/3rds in the Senate is an arbitrary bar established by the Framers of the Constitution, who got a lot of things right and some things wrong (e.g.: blacks = 3/5th of a man clause, and we had to fight a deadly civil war to correct that one!!!).

The arbitrary bar could have been 51%, 30%, 80%, 100%.
And the judges could have been the House, the Supreme Court, 14 angry men, or the entire vote of the USA,
The sausage for how to place a "check" on the Presidency and not create a "King" was made up of whatever ingredients they considered at the time.
- Surely you must be rationale enough to understand that point, and reasonable enough to accept it.

Call it what you will.
I call it guilty.
Unit2Sucks
MinotStateBeav said:

blungld said:

MinotStateBeav said:

This is from the leader of the Republican party and the person responsible for choosing not to convict Trump. This will go down in history as cowardice from 43 republican senators who knew Trump was guilty but cowered to his shrinking base at the expense of our country's ideals. Let's not pretend like there is an "absence of guilt" here:

Quote:

January 6th was a disgrace.

American citizens attacked their own government. They used terrorism to try to stop a specific piece of democratic business they did not like.

Fellow Americans beat and bloodied our own police. They stormed the Senate floor. They tried to hunt down the Speaker of the House. They built a gallows and chanted about murdering the vice president.

They did this because they had been fed wild falsehoods by the most powerful man on Earth because he was angry he'd lost an election.

Former President Trump's actions preceding the riot were a disgraceful dereliction of duty.

The House accused the former president of, quote, 'incitement.' That is a specific term from the criminal law.

Let me put that to the side for one moment and reiterate something I said weeks ago: There is no question that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of that day.

The people who stormed this building believed they were acting on the wishes and instructions of their president.

And their having that belief was a foreseeable consequence of the growing crescendo of false statements, conspiracy theories, and reckless hyperbole which the defeated president kept shouting into the largest megaphone on planet Earth.

The issue is not only the president's intemperate language on January 6th.

It is not just his endorsement of remarks in which an associate urged 'trial by combat'.

It was also the entire manufactured atmosphere of looming catastrophe; the increasingly wild myths about a reverse landslide election that was being stolen in some secret coup by our now-president.

I defended the president's right to bring any complaints to our legal system. The legal system spoke. The Electoral College spoke. As I stood up and said clearly at the time, the election was settled.

But that reality just opened a new chapter of even wilder and more unfounded claims.

The leader of the free world cannot spend weeks thundering that shadowy forces are stealing our country and then feign surprise when people believe him and do reckless things.

Sadly, many politicians sometimes make overheated comments or use metaphors that unhinged listeners might take literally.

This was different.

This was an intensifying crescendo of conspiracy theories, orchestrated by an outgoing president who seemed determined to either overturn the voters' decision or else torch our institutions on the way out.

The unconscionable behaviour did not end when the violence began.

Whatever our ex-president claims he thought might happen that day whatever reaction he says he meant to produce by that afternoon, he was watching the same live television as the rest of the world.

A mob was assaulting the Capitol in his name. These criminals were carrying his banners, hanging his flags, and screaming their loyalty to him.

It was obvious that only President Trump could end this.

Former aides publicly begged him to do so. Loyal allies frantically called the Administration.

But the president did not act swiftly. He did not do his job. He didn't take steps so federal law could be faithfully executed, and order restored.

Instead, according to public reports, he watched television happily as the chaos unfolded. He kept pressing his scheme to overturn the election!

Even after it was clear to any reasonable observer that Vice President Pence was in danger even as the mob carrying Trump banners was beating cops and breaching perimeters the president sent a further tweet attacking his vice president.

Predictably and foreseeably under the circumstances, members of the mob seemed to interpret this as further inspiration to lawlessness and violence.

Later, even when the president did halfheartedly begin calling for peace, he did not call right away for the riot to end. He did not tell the mob to depart until even later.

And even then, with police officers bleeding and broken glass covering Capitol floors, he kept repeating election lies and praising the criminals.

In recent weeks, our ex-president's associates have tried to use the 74 million Americans who voted to re-elect him as a kind of human shield against criticism.

Anyone who decries his awful behaviour is accused of insulting millions of voters.

That is an absurd deflection.

74 million Americans did not invade the Capitol. Several hundred rioters did.

And 74 million Americans did not engineer the campaign of disinformation and rage that provoked it.

One person did.

I have made my view of this episode very plain.

smh
^ Infamous mea-culpa by the republican minority's leader of the senate, yet somehow still a minion of 45's mob. One of many full reprints..
https://www.republicanleader.senate.gov/newsroom/remarks/mcconnell-on-impeachment-disgraceful-dereliction-cannot-lead-senate-to-defy-our-own-constitutional-guardrails
Quote:

Quote:

American citizens attacked their own government. They used terrorism to try to stop a specific piece of democratic business they did not like.

Fellow Americans beat and bloodied our own police. They stormed the Senate floor. They tried to hunt down the Speaker of the House. They built a gallows and chanted about murdering the vice president.. ..
dimitrig
Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

blungld said:

MinotStateBeav said:

This is from the leader of the Republican party and the person responsible for choosing not to convict Trump. This will go down in history as cowardice from 43 republican senators who knew Trump was guilty but cowered to his shrinking base at the expense of our country's ideals. Let's not pretend like there is an "absence of guilt" here:

Quote:

Fellow Americans beat and bloodied our own police. They stormed the Senate floor. They tried to hunt down the Speaker of the House. They built a gallows and chanted about murdering the vice president.

They did this because they had been fed wild falsehoods by the most powerful man on Earth because he was angry he'd lost an election.

Former President Trump's actions preceding the riot were a disgraceful dereliction of duty.

The House accused the former president of, quote, 'incitement.' That is a specific term from the criminal law.

Let me put that to the side for one moment and reiterate something I said weeks ago: There is no question that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of that day.

The people who stormed this building believed they were acting on the wishes and instructions of their president.

And their having that belief was a foreseeable consequence of the growing crescendo of false statements, conspiracy theories, and reckless hyperbole which the defeated president kept shouting into the largest megaphone on planet Earth.

The issue is not only the president's intemperate language on January 6th.

It is not just his endorsement of remarks in which an associate urged 'trial by combat'.

It was also the entire manufactured atmosphere of looming catastrophe; the increasingly wild myths about a reverse landslide election that was being stolen in some secret coup by our now-president.

I defended the president's right to bring any complaints to our legal system. The legal system spoke. The Electoral College spoke. As I stood up and said clearly at the time, the election was settled.

But that reality just opened a new chapter of even wilder and more unfounded claims.

The leader of the free world cannot spend weeks thundering that shadowy forces are stealing our country and then feign surprise when people believe him and do reckless things.

Sadly, many politicians sometimes make overheated comments or use metaphors that unhinged listeners might take literally.

This was different.

This was an intensifying crescendo of conspiracy theories, orchestrated by an outgoing president who seemed determined to either overturn the voters' decision or else torch our institutions on the way out.

The unconscionable behaviour did not end when the violence began.

Whatever our ex-president claims he thought might happen that day whatever reaction he says he meant to produce by that afternoon, he was watching the same live television as the rest of the world.

A mob was assaulting the Capitol in his name. These criminals were carrying his banners, hanging his flags, and screaming their loyalty to him.

It was obvious that only President Trump could end this.

Former aides publicly begged him to do so. Loyal allies frantically called the Administration.

But the president did not act swiftly. He did not do his job. He didn't take steps so federal law could be faithfully executed, and order restored.

Instead, according to public reports, he watched television happily as the chaos unfolded. He kept pressing his scheme to overturn the election!

Even after it was clear to any reasonable observer that Vice President Pence was in danger even as the mob carrying Trump banners was beating cops and breaching perimeters the president sent a further tweet attacking his vice president.

Predictably and foreseeably under the circumstances, members of the mob seemed to interpret this as further inspiration to lawlessness and violence.

Later, even when the president did halfheartedly begin calling for peace, he did not call right away for the riot to end. He did not tell the mob to depart until even later.

And even then, with police officers bleeding and broken glass covering Capitol floors, he kept repeating election lies and praising the criminals.

In recent weeks, our ex-president's associates have tried to use the 74 million Americans who voted to re-elect him as a kind of human shield against criticism.

Anyone who decries his awful behaviour is accused of insulting millions of voters.

That is an absurd deflection.

74 million Americans did not invade the Capitol. Several hundred rioters did.

And 74 million Americans did not engineer the campaign of disinformation and rage that provoked it.

One person did.

I have made my view of this episode very plain.

Maybe he could have made it a little more plain - like with his vote!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.