Impeachment #2 Thread

45,174 Views | 540 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is signaling to fellow Republicans that the final vote on Donald Trump's impeachment is matter of conscience and that senators who disputed the constitutionality of the trial could still vote to convict the former president, according to three people familiar with his thinking.

The Kentucky Republican has also suggested that he hasn't made up his mind how he'll vote, two of the people said, even though he voted Tuesday to declare it unconstitutional for the Senate to hear the case against a former president.

That position is starkly different than McConnell's declaration at the start of Trump's first impeachment trial last year that he did not consider himself an impartial juror.

Mitch is a weasel. He will hem and haw and say all the right things and then he will vote to acquit.
My take is that McConnell would personally like to be rid of Trump permanently. But he's not sure he can hold enough of his caucus together to take that vote and doesn't want to be caught on the losing end, so he's sending up these trial balloons to see what happens. He'll vote to acquit if he can't drum up enough support with other Republicans to actually convict Trump.

Sure he would. Lots of GOP Senators would. However, they are spineless and they will vote to acquit.

AunBear89
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is signaling to fellow Republicans that the final vote on Donald Trump's impeachment is matter of conscience and that senators who disputed the constitutionality of the trial could still vote to convict the former president, according to three people familiar with his thinking.

The Kentucky Republican has also suggested that he hasn't made up his mind how he'll vote, two of the people said, even though he voted Tuesday to declare it unconstitutional for the Senate to hear the case against a former president.

That position is starkly different than McConnell's declaration at the start of Trump's first impeachment trial last year that he did not consider himself an impartial juror.

Mitch is a weasel. He will hem and haw and say all the right things and then he will vote to acquit.
My take is that McConnell would personally like to be rid of Trump permanently. But he's not sure he can hold enough of his caucus together to take that vote and doesn't want to be caught on the losing end, so he's sending up these trial balloons to see what happens. He'll vote to acquit if he can't drum up enough support with other Republicans to actually convict Trump.

Sure he would. Lots of GOP Senators would. However, they are spineless and they will vote to acquit.

Grifters gonna grift.

The Grift Old Party can't afford to upset the under educated MAGAts because they are a dependable stream of "campaign" donations. AND every House and Senate Republican is in mortal fear of getting primaried by some RWNJ Qanon candidate if they step out of line.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
sycasey
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Yes, that is what I expect will happen. They are stuck with short-term thinking and wanting to please their base voters.
dajo9
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

I agree with this. McConnell will vote on the side that wins. He will not stick his neck out. I don't have any expectation that there will be a 2/3 guilty vote, but McConnell will only vote for it, if it reaches that threshold. And if it does reach that threshold, McConnell will vote for it.
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

I agree with this. McConnell will vote on the side that wins. He will not stick his neck out. I don't have any expectation that there will be a 2/3 guilty vote, but McConnell will only vote for it, if it reaches that threshold. And if it does reach that threshold, McConnell will vote for it.
Moscow Mitch is a cockroach with no true north. He's emblematic of how morally bankrupt the Republican party has become. I don't think we are going to see a single Republican senator (other than Mitt) vote to convict although I suppose a handful of the other 5 who voted that the trial was constitutional may actually do the right thing. There is pretty much 0 chance that any Republican who voted that the trial was unconstitutional (which is a laughable sentiment on its face) will turn around and vote to convict Trump. How would you explain with a straight face that you voted to convict someone at the end of an unconstitutional trial?
BearChemist
I (kinda) feel bad for BearFarce2. House managers are presenting such a convincing story of Trump's pathetic efforts in clinging unto power, laying out all the incidents and associates in the last year. Yet BearFarce2's work on BI has not been appreciated even once.
BearChemist
concordtom
So, I'm missing today's show.
Update me before I watch tonight on replay?
Has anyone in the GOP side committed hari kari yet??

I've had a vision that yesterday's defense team would step up to the mic and say, "I resign", and walk off.
BearChemist
The hyped security footage will be shown after this break.
concordtom
Thx
BearChemist
Plaskett is the star today imo. Dean is a bit too emotional and Lieu talked three times faster than any other manager.
Unit2Sucks
LOL Trump lost his legal team in part over a fee dispute. No one could have ever seen that coming!
dajo9
Unit2Sucks said:

LOL Trump lost his legal team in part over a fee dispute. No one could have ever seen that coming!
It's not like Trump is hard to figure out. He's had the same m.o. for decades.
American Vermin
BearlyCareAnymore
dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

I saw Willie Brown speak in person back in the day when he was Assembly Speaker. He was asked about a shouting match he had on the floor with an Assemblyman who ended by yelling loudly "I don't care what you do to me!" Brown essentially said this isn't Mr. Smith goes to Washington. When he has a controversial bill, often the votes are negotiated. "If you get 20 votes, I'll be 21" "If you get 26 votes, I'll be 27". The Assemblyman reneged on his agreement meaning all the votes that came after fell through. Brown basically said, you better believe their will be repercussions for doing that.

I think McConnell would love to be vote 67. It's not going to happen, but I think he'd do it.

IMO, the Republicans are suckers on this. They should have learned from Sessions to Pence and all the Republicans in between, he is that kid in the Twilight Zone. Sooner or later he is going to turn on you if you don't follow every whim. This is their last best chance to make him irrelevant long before their next election.

Econ For Dummies
dajo9 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

It's not like Trump is hard to figure out. He's had the same m.o. for decades.
I"m more amazed that anyone has been willing to work for him without getting 100% up front in advance. It's well known he has a problem paying.
BearlyCareAnymore
Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

I think he might be convicted.
I thought it might happen when McConnell was floating the idea that he might support impeachment
That was McConnell playing Pelosi and the Democrats for fools again, stringing them along.

McConnell is more than happy to do anything to make Trump look like a fool and to delay Biden's agenda, which is what this trial is doing. He'd be thrilled if the base turned on Trump and they could go back to being the Republican Party of 2012, but he knows that Trump is vastly more popular than anyone in the Republican Party. And everyone in the party knows it too, which is why very few will vote to convict unless they want to face Liz Cheney's fate in 2022 when she gets primaried. Romney seems safe in Utah, so he'll have no issue voting to convict again and I suspect Ben Saase will vote to convict, but that's about it.

You will have failed again, as you failed in the last impeachment. And in 2022, both houses will swing back Republican.

They should have censured him in January which they likely could have won and would have been much more effective than this farce. They won Georgia because of Trump and thought they could drive a wedge between the Trumpistas and The Old Guard but overplayed their hand and are now holding yet another losing hand. Pelosi is a continuing disaster sitting on this thing for a month while the party rallies around Trump. Biden is saying he's not watching which tells you where he is at. He's not the only one.

I totally disagree with you.
When someone commits murder, you don't say, "Well, we could have gotten a conviction for wrist slapping".
No, you do the right thing. Let the Republicons live with their indecency.
What a sell out. That's what the framers of the constitution did when they came up with their 3/5ths clause.
I'm disappointed in you, Anarchy.

And don't believe one word of it about Biden not paying attention to this! That's the PR move to preempt the GOP claims that "you are stalling when you should be working on the pandemic, or anything else."
Biden is doing EXACTLY what he should be doing in order to strengthen the Democratic cause!

The Party is not rallying around Trump. They are imploding. Go ahead, continue to worship the devil. It paid off well in the 2018 and 2020 elections. I hope he returns in 2022 so we can trounce his arse again. He is FINISHED because his nightmare is only just beginning. Endless lawsuits.

Tom... Tom. There is no legal crime charged here. There is a political crime charged here. Big difference. So now we have Trump with, no collusion, no impeachment(1) and no impeachment(2). And impeachment which used to be a grave matter of state has been reduced to a bunch of sobbing lawyers in a partisan **** show. A trivial form of rebuke. Everyone sees through this.

You're right about Trump being easily defeated if he rises again. All the more reason to hold fire.
An impeachment trial will always be a partisan shyte show because if it doesn't start off as one (which it basically did the first two times it was used), the guiltier the president is the more incentive he has to turn it into a partisan shyte show. It only takes one side to turn it into a partisan shyte show and one side always will. That is not a reason not to do it.

Hate to tell you this, but most criminal trials are shyte shows. They aren't a learned prosecutor joining forces with a respected defense attorney joining forces with judge and jury on a quest for truth. It is a prosecutor throwing everything s/he can out there to get a conviction and a defense attorney doing everything s/he can to get their client off. The process starts with doing everything you can to select a biased jury and moving on from there.
bearister
Jimmy Kimmel on GOP senators: 'The sad truth is they're a bunch of cowards'

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/feb/10/jimmy-kimmel-trump-second-impeachment-trial-gop-senators?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
OaktownBear said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

I saw Willie Brown speak in person back in the day when he was Assembly Speaker. He was asked about a shouting match he had on the floor with an Assemblyman who ended by yelling loudly "I don't care what you do to me!" Brown essentially said this isn't Mr. Smith goes to Washington. When he has a controversial bill, often the votes are negotiated. "If you get 20 votes, I'll be 21" "If you get 26 votes, I'll be 27". The Assemblyman reneged on his agreement meaning all the votes that came after fell through. Brown basically said, you better believe their will be repercussions for doing that.

I think McConnell would love to be vote 67. It's not going to happen, but I think he'd do it.

IMO, the Republicans are suckers on this. They should have learned from Sessions to Pence and all the Republicans in between, he is that kid in the Twilight Zone. Sooner or later he is going to turn on you if you don't follow every whim. This is their last best chance to make him irrelevant long before their next election.

Totally.
They are SO weak - it's really unbelievable.
concordtom
OaktownBear said:

Hate to tell you this, but most criminal trials are shyte shows. They aren't a learned prosecutor joining forces with a respected defense attorney joining forces with judge and jury on a quest for truth. It is a prosecutor throwing everything s/he can out there to get a conviction and a defense attorney doing everything s/he can to get their client off. The process starts with doing everything you can to select a biased jury and moving on from there.
And I'm proud to be an American.
(queue Lee Greenwood - God Bless The USA song, and sync to Capitol Riots video)

dajo9
These impeachments are important if for no other reason than to put a marker in the sand, historically speaking, and let it be known that many of us objected to Trump's behavior and know it is not Presidential.

History can judge. Of the 4 impeachments in our history, I think only the Trump impeachments are worthy.
American Vermin
concordtom
Huh?
You don't think it's important that we prosecute two consenting adults for engaging in a mutually agreed upon picadillo?
I mean, look at the happy couple here:

Clearly, that's far more important than cajoling murder and an overthrow of the government.

Unit2Sucks
Have to love that Republicans who blame Democrats for violent protests this summer that were in no way instigated or condoned by any politicians are attempting to completely whitewash Trump and themselves from the attack on the capital that they instigated, supported, organized, funded and praised.

Trump, Cruz and Hawley will be viewed as traitors by historians and future Americans (if we have a country!) and rightfully so.
bearister
Too bad guys like Ben Johnson aren't around anymore. The Capitol Police could have used him.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
Unit2Sucks said:

Have to love that Republicans who blame Democrats for violent protests this summer that were in no way instigated or condoned by any politicians are attempting to completely whitewash Trump and themselves from the attack on the capital that they instigated, supported, organized, funded and praised.

Trump, Cruz and Hawley will be viewed as traitors by historians and future Americans (if we have a country!) and rightfully so.
Don't forget Rudy Giuliani, Mo Brooks, and Lindsey Graham:

concordtom
bearister said:

Too bad guys like Ben Johnson aren't around anymore. The Capitol Police could have used him.

It's actually pretty amazing that there wasn't a group of officers who didn't just flat out unload.
Seriously!
There probably should have been hundreds dead.

I suppose Trump would have wanted that. Ultimate victimhood.

The cops there that day are to be majorly commended.
On the one hand it looks like poor policing.
On the other hand, it turned out about as 100% perfect as possible.

concordtom
Catching up on various new programs.
Lawrence O'Donnell remarked:

"And in that video of Mitt Romney running to his safety - yes, that is the first time in history that we have video of a Senator literally running for his life in the Capitol building. We've seen what happens to Mitt Romney in airports, and can only imagine what would have happened to him had he not run into Officer Eugene Robinson who told him to turn around and head the other direction."
dajo9
About 8 years afterwards, the Republican nominee for President was inside the Capitol building running for his life from a Republican mob. But let's talk more about the Democratic far left.
American Vermin
concordtom
dajo9 said:

About 8 years afterwards, the Republican nominee for President was inside the Capitol building running for his life from a Republican mob. But let's talk more about the Democratic far left.
Excuse me. But please remember that when we talk about the Democrats it is required that you always insert a negative adjective, such as
Radical Democrats
Socialist Democrats
Dangerous Democrats
Crazy, Wacko, or Insane are also acceptable.

"Far Left" is too weak on it's own, but can be used in combination with any of the above.
concordtom
dajo9 said:

I flipped over to FoxNews just prior to the beginning of today's session to see what they were saying, and Faulkner was doing a segment about the loss of jobs due to Biden being pressured to cancel the Pipeline.

Pathetic.

Taken on it's own, cancelling that pipeline will curb environmental degradation and push the world toward greener energy solutions. It's fair that Fox and I will take differing opinions. Clearly, though, they are trying to avoid this impeachment as much as possible. I hate Foxnews.
concordtom
Time to focus on Boycott of Foxnews:

"The most effective thing Americans can do is boycott companies that advertise on Fox. They bankroll the poison that goes from the studio into Trump's head. The second is vote." Financial Times' U.S. National Editor

Fox News is propaganda disguising itself as news. It peddles conspiracy theories, hate speech, and ignorance. Its announcers parrot white nationalist talking points and frequently push racist narratives. Fox News lowers the level of our public discourse, and is a key route for fringe views to make their way into the mainstream. Fox News encourages polarization, fear and hatred.

Like any other media organization, Fox News is made possible by its advertisers. Major companies bankroll Fox News with their advertising purchases.

The signers of this petition ask Fox New's top advertisers to stop advertising there. Until they stop advertising on Fox News, we will boycott their products.

This spreadsheet includes detailed contact information for the companies listed in this petition. In addition to signing and sharing this petition, please contact them to tell them what you think of their supporting one of the most negative influences in American society today.

https://tvrev.com/whats-left-of-tucker-carlsons-advertisers-so-far-in-2021/
calbear93
concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

I flipped over to FoxNews just prior to the beginning of today's session to see what they were saying, and Faulkner was doing a segment about the loss of jobs due to Biden being pressured to cancel the Pipeline.

Pathetic.

Taken on it's own, cancelling that pipeline will curb environmental degradation and push the world toward greener energy solutions. It's fair that Fox and I will take differing opinions. Clearly, though, they are trying to avoid this impeachment as much as possible. I hate Foxnews.
One thing that came to mind as I was reading a recent book by a Harvard professor on use of AI in competing in different industries was that these media pundits and politicians can so easily be taken over by AI. If Ant and Amazon can use AI to recognize patters to have AI create better output, then we can use AI to recognize patterns on someone like Hannity and Gaetz and just generate output based on input of new data.

When was the last time any of these guys said something that deviated from patterns? It could be even be a really weak AI with college student create algorithm to create better and faster content. In fact, we can even use weaker AI to replace some of the posters whom you know what they are going post even before they do. All the time that we can save.
BearlyCareAnymore
Ted Lieu had the on point counter to those who keep saying who cares if he runs again. He'll lose.

He said he is not afraid that Donald Trump will run again. He is afraid he will run again and lose and do this again.

Anyone that thinks if Trump runs again he won't spend months before during and after the election stoking election fraud claims and risking the same results, or maybe mobs that preemptively attack polling places or counting sites are absolutely kidding themselves.
Unit2Sucks
OaktownBear said:

Ted Lieu had the on point counter to those who keep saying who cares if he runs again. He'll lose.

He said he is not afraid that Donald Trump will run again. He is afraid he will run again and lose and do this again.

Anyone that thinks if Trump runs again he won't spend months before during and after the election stoking election fraud claims and risking the same results, or maybe mobs that preemptively attack polling places or counting sites are absolutely kidding themselves.
dude, it's not just Trump. How many people will do this once the senate blesses it?

I expect that if we don't do something now to make it clear that the peaceful and orderly transfer of power is our bedrock and that people need to accept the validity of elections, we are entering a new era where every election will feature these sorts of invalid challenges.

Certainly Republicans like Ted Cruz will try (lol everyone hates him so it won't be effective) but we will see this on both sides of the aisle. Everyone likes to joke about what sports would look like if people acted like Trump, but we are very clearly going to see this behavior spread in future elections. I don't have high hopes that's for sure.
dimitrig
concordtom said:

bearister said:

It's actually pretty amazing that there wasn't a group of officers who didn't just flat out unload.
Seriously!
There probably should have been hundreds dead.

I suppose Trump would have wanted that. Ultimate victimhood.

The cops there that day are to be majorly commended.
On the one hand it looks like poor policing.
On the other hand, it turned out about as 100% perfect as possible.

I read somewhere (can't find the source right now) that they were told not to shoot.

oskidunker
The difference would be he can do the same thing but he won't be President. So the existing administration can control it better. Trump could be arrested for inciting a riot and he wont be able to pardon anyone.
Go Bears!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.