Impeachment #2 Thread

45,184 Views | 540 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"The President used the word FIGHT 20 times in his (Jan 6) speech. They picked only 2 in their video. Why didn't they show the other 18? Here are all 20."

Oh, good! Show us Trump fighting again. Incriminate him, please!
sycasey
dajo9 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

dajo9 said:

My argument is NOT that the A's are doing anything wrong. As has been said, the A's only option is to find value cheaply. Every time they make the playoffs they are overachieving as an organization. Flukes can happen, but in general to win a World Series these days you need a mix of sabremetrics but you also need players like Derek Jeter, Johnny Damon or Mookie Betts who can make things happen against above average teams.
You need look no further than what happened across the bay. Sabean had Bruce Bochy, great young pitchers, a strong bullpen, Buster Posey, Pablo Sandoval and a bunch of retread overpaid position players that Billy Beane wouldn't have paid with someone else's money. Oh plus Barry Zito. In some ways you could say the Giants succeeded by doing exactly the opposite - but they didn't do it with low payroll.

What's interesting is that even though they had a bunch of head scratchers like Cody Ross, Pat the Bat and Aubrey Huff, there was a method to their madness and they used a lot of the same techniques that Beane did. Here's an interesting article from Baseball Prospectus arguing not to buy the reductionist approach that the Giants were doing it the old fashioned way.

I think the story of the Giants World Series wins is the age old adage that good pitching beats good hitting. Disclaimer - I hate the Giants and didn't watch any of it.
They definitely always had the pitching, but going into that first championship season they also had a crappy offense and had to raise it up to at least be average to even give themselves a shot. Adding guys like Huff, Burrell, Ross, helped with that (plus Posey being called up).
concordtom
Did anyone notice that Bruce Castor did not present today?
Instead, his law firm partner Michael van der Veen opens Trump impeachment defense, as Bruce Castor's role was reduced.
If they go to Saturday, van der Veen is going to have to be replaced, too. They look and sound like cousins.

bearister
Word is that tRump didn't want him to talk.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
" CNN and MSNBC are just not the same. Those networks will report on bad things done by Democrats.."

Those networks actively undermined and then sank HRC Presidential bid in 2016......and then put the "Who me?" expression on their faces after the orange piece of human garbage "won."
concordtom
summary of Trump as a politician:

concordtom
bearister said:

" CNN and MSNBC are just not the same. Those networks will report on bad things done by Democrats.."

Those networks actively undermined and then sank HRC Presidential bid in 2016......and then put the "Who me?" expression on their faces after the orange piece of human garbage "won."
This whole episode has taught me that the electing class is completely weak-minded.
I didn't realize it was, but should have.

bearister
"But what the hell is going on with Graham? I am not interested in any rumors but would love to read a well researched biography when this is over."

I have no facts, but just enough life and work experience to trust my instincts on this:

He is being blackmailed, pure and simple. It is the same way J. Edgar Hoover extended his reign of terror so long. He had a dossier on everyone chock full of 8 x 10 glossies.
Unit2Sucks
For his sake, I hope Graham is being blackmailed because otherwise he is doing everything wrong. Hard to imagine anyone could construct a narrative in defense of Graham at this point given how often and loudly he has excoriated people who he now staunchly defends and behavior he now proudly exhibits.
calbear93
bearister said:

"But what the hell is going on with Graham? I am not interested in any rumors but would love to read a well researched biography when this is over."

I have no facts, but just enough life and work experience to trust my instincts on this:

He is being blackmailed, pure and simple. It is the same way J. Edgar Hoover extended his reign of terror so long. He had a dossier on everyone chock full of 8 x 10 glossies.

If it is just a matter of him being gay, I wish he would just come out. I would feel bad for him that he for whatever reason feels ashamed for who he is other than the fact that, if true, he is approaching this in the weakest way possible. The public will forgive that he betrayed his beliefs because he was blackmailed, the public won't care about his sexual orientation, he can see those who blackmailed him be criminally charged, and he never has to worry again. Now, if he exploited someone underaged, he better run.
dajo9
bearister said:

This is 100% accurate
American Vermin
dajo9
Unit2Sucks said:

For his sake, I hope Graham is being blackmailed because otherwise he is doing everything wrong. Hard to imagine anyone could construct a narrative in defense of Graham at this point given how often and loudly he has excoriated people who he now staunchly defends and behavior he now proudly exhibits.
After watching the documentary, The Dissident, I'm thinking Putin and the Saudis have every secret he ever crafted on his phone.
American Vermin
bearister
People still having to hide they are gay is very sad to me, but unfortunately the planet has not fully evolved on the issue. In Hollywood, the lesson of Rupert Everett still has everyone quaking in their boots. He went from King of the RomComs to out of work once he came out.
calbear93
bearister said:

People still having to hide they are gay is very sad to me, but unfortunately the planet has not fully evolved on the issue. In Hollywood, the lesson of Rupert Everett still has everyone quaking in their boots. He went from King of the RomComs to out of work once he came out.
Strange. Did not know about Rupert Everett as a cautionary tale. I always assumed he was gay. My Best Friend's Wedding (where he was awesome) was over 20 years ago.
sycasey
bearister said:

Was he really the king of romcoms? I think he only did one, and in it he literally played the gay best friend. He was always more of a character actor, not a major star.
calbear93
sycasey said:

bearister said:

Was he really the king of romcoms? I think he only did one, and in it he literally played the gay best friend. He was always more of a character actor, not a major star.
And I remember he played the lead in the remake of Oscar Wilde's Importance of Being Earnest (don't remember the movie title) after My Best Friend's Wedding.

The fact that there is a caucus of Gay Republicans should provide pathway for Graham to come out if that is the reason.

If it is something sinister like abusing a minor, he needs to suffer and stop making the rest of us suffer.
Unit2Sucks
honestly I can't imagine the issue is related to Graham's legal sexual preferences. If so, any other number of people could/would blackmail him.

No, I expect it's something much more involved - probably having to do with money - because it sure seems like Trump is the one pulling his strings right now. That obviously wasn't the case 5 years ago when he said all those great things about Trump.

Quote:

Quote:

I want to talk to the Trump supporters for a minute. I don't know who you are, and I don't know why you like this guy. I think what you like about him, he appears to be strong when the rest of us are weak, he's a very successful businessman and he's going to make everything great. He's going to take all of the problems in the world and put them in a box, and make your life better.

That's what he's selling. Here's what you're buying. He's a race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot. He doesn't represent my party. He doesn't represent the values that the men and women in uniform are fighting for...

...What Mr. Trump is doing and I don't think he has a clue about anything, he's just trying to get his numbers up and get the biggest reaction he can he's putting our soldiers and diplomats at risk, he's empowering the enemy ..
... and you know how to make America great again? Tell Donald Trump to go to hell.

bearister
calbear93 said:

bearister said:

Strange. Did not know about Rupert Everett as a cautionary tale. I always assumed he was gay. My Best Friend's Wedding (where he was awesome) was over 20 years ago.

Well, I suppose I overstated his career, but...

Rupert Everett: I Never Got a Job in Hollywood After Coming Out

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rupert-everett-i-job-hollywood-66579
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/rupert-everett-i-job-hollywood-66579

sycasey
bearister said:

calbear93 said:

bearister said:

Well, I suppose I overstated his career, but...

Rupert Everett: I Never Got a Job in Hollywood After Coming Out

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rupert-everett-i-job-hollywood-66579
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/rupert-everett-i-job-hollywood-66579

I'm going to call a little bit of B.S. on that. His IMDb bio says he came out in 1989. The roles we all seem to know him best for (My Best Friend's Wedding, The Importance of Being Earnest) all came after that. I don't think his career was destroyed by coming out (perhaps he did hit a lull), and even so, a gay actor coming out in 1989 would be very different from today. Neil Patrick Harris came out in 2006 and it actually seemed to help his career. He continued playing a straight ladies' man playboy on How I Met Your Mother (a popular network sitcom) and nobody minded. Hollywood seems fine with gay actors these days.

But of course the situation is different for a conservative Southern politician.
concordtom
calbear93 said:

bearister said:

If it is just a matter of him being gay, I wish he would just come out. I would feel bad for him that he for whatever reason feels ashamed for who he is other than the fact that, if true, he is approaching this in the weakest way possible. The public will forgive that he betrayed his beliefs because he was blackmailed, the public won't care about his sexual orientation, he can see those who blackmailed him be criminally charged, and he never has to worry again. Now, if he exploited someone underaged, he better run.
The problem with bending the first time under blackmail pressure is once you do it one time, then they suddenly have ANOTHER thing over on you - something ELSE they can use against you - that you bent instead of stood up with NO.

A second problem follows: they know they have push you, and so they begin to push again and again, and every time you do what they want you to do for them rather than say NO is yet ANOTHER thing (each time!) that they have on you.

So, probably at this point, it's FAR beyond them simply having photos and videos of him with his dalliances. It's that they blackmailed him and he gave in time and time and time again.

At this point, I imagine the dossier on him is VERY thick. The gayness of it is a pea. The fact that he's become a tool for whomever would push him over is a mountain.

His career and dignity, he knows, would be over.
The only thing that can be done is to vote him out. Unfortunately, he just won again for 6 more years.
I'm with Dajo where he criticizes "America". Because - how do you fix this?
concordtom
sycasey said:

But of course the situation is different for a conservative Southern politician.
Ding Ding Ding Ding!

One who is financially backed by rich white straight OLD bible belters.
Culture is changing everywhere, just not fast enough.

But look where we were 50 years ago. Change does happen, it just takes time.
bearister
The jury instruction in California for the crime
of Inciting a Riot:

CALCRIM No. 2682. Inciting a Riot (Pen. Code, 404.6(a)) :: California Criminal Jury Instructions (CALCRIM) (2020) :: Justia

https://www.justia.com/criminal/docs/calcrim/2600/2682/

District of Columbia jury instruction:

D.C. Law Library - 221322. Rioting or inciting to riot.

https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/22-1322.html

*Yes, I realize the impeachment hearing is not a court case.
bearister
calbear93
concordtom said:

calbear93 said:

bearister said:

The problem with bending the first time under blackmail pressure is once you do it one time, then they suddenly have ANOTHER thing over on you - something ELSE they can use against you - that you bent instead of stood up with NO.

A second problem follows: they know they have push you, and so they begin to push again and again, and every time you do what they want you to do for them rather than say NO is yet ANOTHER thing (each time!) that they have on you.

So, probably at this point, it's FAR beyond them simply having photos and videos of him with his dalliances. It's that they blackmailed him and he gave in time and time and time again.

At this point, I imagine the dossier on him is VERY thick. The gayness of it is a pea. The fact that he's become a tool for whomever would push him over is a mountain.

The only thing that can be done is to vote him out. Unfortunately, he just won again for 6 more years.
What are they going to say? Hey, if you don't listen to us, then we will show the world that we have been criminally blackmailing a government official? That will show you? And I will laugh at you from a federal prison?

That is why I am really curious to understand what is going on behind the scenes and not too interested in unsubstantiated rumors. Hawley, Cruz, McCarthy - clearly political ambition. Gaetz, Greene - losers who lovingly lick boots because that is better than anything else their talent justifies. McConnell - power hungry and long term strategy. But Graham and the level of bending the knee that he has done when he used to be considered one of the more bi-partisan senators is mind boggling.
BearlyCareAnymore
dajo9 said:

OaktownBear said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

calbear93 said:

Well, the power of data analytics as opposed to assumptions or human analysis first became famous to regular folks due to baseball and Billy Bean. Things that people assumed were most valuable were not, and the Oakland A's were able to pay for valuable players for much less based on things that data actually showed were relevant to scoring runs, such as on base percentage and slugging percentage. And that insight did not come from some genius baseball person but from a nerdy mathematician from Harvard who barely knew what baseball was.
Right. That's my point. Just apply Billy Ball to Politics. That's what YOU were saying, no?

I don't know about AI but Billy Ball has its limitations. It clearly seems to work in June but I don't think it works in the postseason. I think the reason for that is in the postseason you are no longer playing against the average. You are playing against above average. That means your home runs per strikeout rate goes down and we end up with boring postseason games where teams strike out over and over again (using one basic metric as an example).

I believe Billy Ball may help you get into the postseason but the oldtimers have it right for winning championships. Contact. Stolen bases. Manufacturing runs. It's no surprise to me that the marquee player on 2 of the last 3 championships is a classic old school ballplayer who is known for contact, manufacturing runs, and smart baseball - Mookie Betts. The other championship team, the Washington Nationals, lost its Billy Ball hero, Bryce Harper, the previous year. In October, they were better without him. In my opinion, if your star slugger is famous for walks, you have a problem.
By the way. To you and concord, Billy Ball refers to the era when Billy Martin was manager of the A's, not to the Moneyball era.

Billy Martin would not have pulled Blake Snell from a World Series game in the 5th inning with a 1-0 lead after 9 strikeouts and 1 hit.
Billy Martin would not have pulled Tim Keough in the 28th inning of a random game in July after his arm literally pulled out of the socket and dropped on the ground.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

concordtom said:

calbear93 said:

bearister said:

What are they going to say? Hey, if you don't listen to us, then we will show the world that we have been criminally blackmailing a government official? That will show you? And I will laugh at you from a federal prison?

That is why I am really curious to understand what is going on behind the scenes and not too interested in unsubstantiated rumors. Hawley, Cruz, McCarthy - clearly political ambition. Gaetz, Greene - losers who lovingly lick boots because that is better than anything else their talent justifies. McConnell - power hungry and long term strategy. But Graham and the level of bending the knee that he has done when he used to be considered one of the more bi-partisan senators is mind boggling.
Maybe Graham is just a loser who wants to try following the cool kids. He tried to act like a bipartisan guy when John McCain was alive, since McCain liked the bipartisan thing. Now McCain is dead and he needs to find another cool kid to fall in with, so he goes with the Trumpies.
AunBear89
On what planet are these the cool kids?

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
sycasey
AunBear89 said:

On what planet are these the cool kids?

I mean, he's chosen poorly. But he seems to think this is the crowd to be with now.
B.A. Bearacus
Exchange after Trump said the rioters were Antifa. McCarthy said they were Trump's people and to call them off. Then...
dajo9
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

concordtom said:

calbear93 said:

bearister said:

Maybe Graham is just a loser who wants to try following the cool kids. He tried to act like a bipartisan guy when John McCain was alive, since McCain liked the bipartisan thing. Now McCain is dead and he needs to find another cool kid to fall in with, so he goes with the Trumpies.

When was Lyndsey Graham ever bipartisan?
American Vermin
calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

concordtom said:

calbear93 said:

bearister said:

Maybe you are right.

This article does a decent job of trying to solve the mystery but it doesn't quite do it. I would love to read a full biography some time in the future on how he went from a bipartisan senator and a member of the gang of 8 to this.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/paulmcleod/lindsey-graham-bipartisan-what-happened
Unit2Sucks
dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

concordtom said:

calbear93 said:

bearister said:

When was Lyndsey Graham ever bipartisan?
When he led the totally-not-a-witchhunt impeachment of Bill Clinton? How quaint that something like that was impeachable just a few decades ago. If the bar were that low now, Trump would have been impeached ... checks notes ... 185 times in the last 4 years.
BearlyCareAnymore
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

JeffBear07 said:

Quote:

The number one thing the A's could have done to win was spend like the Yankees. The number 2 thing they could have done was to THEN marry analytics with spending like the Yankees.
Every time Billy Beane sees the name Theo Epstein, he dies a little bit inside.

Wasn't the Red Sox job offered to Beane first? He could have been the one to break the curse.
The movie, Moneyball begins by disparaging Johnny Damon's value. Damon was a key component of breaking the curse - he was a championship type ballplayer, not a sabremetrics type ballplayer. Theo Epstein doesn't break the curse without a player like Johnny Damon.
1. The movie is more of a feel good personal story and doesn't nearly portray what was going on.

2. You are still missing the point. Overvalued doesn't mean bad player. No one was saying that Damon was a bad player. But a team with limited funds was not going to pay Johnny Damon because they could get more value out of players who make less money. Teams with virtually unlimited funds don't care about value. Johnny Damon made sense for the Red Sox. He made no sense for the A's because of what they would have needed to give up

Mike Trout is a phenomenal baseball player. He makes $37.7M. The A's entire payroll is $69M and $13.5 of that is getting paid by the Texas Rangers this year. If the A's signed Mike Trout, they'd have nothing left to spend at any other position.

Quite frankly, there was probably "a player like Johnny Damon" making similar money that would have been more successful for the Sox than Johnny Damon, but they weren't available for the Red Sox to sign. But what you are missing in this is that if you are choosing between paying $20M for a $15M player and spending $5M for a $10M player, the A's need to pick the latter because that extra $15M is $15M they can't spend on the rest of their roster. The Red Sox don't give a damn about the extra money because it doesn't prevent them from signing whoever they want at other positions, so they need to do the former. The Red Sox still have the better player. And do that 26 times and you have the comparative roster between the two. The only way the A's ever have a better player at any roster spot is by developing the player themselves before the player is no longer under team control.

If you take away Elvis Andrus, who the A's just traded for and as part of the trade they got cash offsetting almost his entire salary, the A's highest paid player makes less than the average salary on the highest payroll teams. The Dodgers have 12 players that make more than the A's highest paid player.

The point of Moneyball was not that Scott Hatteberg was better than Johnny Damon. Is a $5 hamburger better than a $50 steak? Clearly the steak is better but the hamburger is a better value. If you have $50 to spend, you buy the steak. How about if you have $50 and 10 people to feed? Again, the lesson isn't that Moneyball doesn't work. It is that being cheap doesn't work.

And sorry, sabermetrics works. Mookie Betts is one of the best players in the game based on sabermetrics. The Dodgers were the best sabermetrics team. Blindly following sabermetrics is a bad strategy as is blindly following anything. But overall, sabermetrics works.
bearister
Moneyball, when you actually spend money, is AWESOME. The A's need new ownership.
calbear93
OaktownBear said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

JeffBear07 said:

Quote:

The number one thing the A's could have done to win was spend like the Yankees. The number 2 thing they could have done was to THEN marry analytics with spending like the Yankees.
Every time Billy Beane sees the name Theo Epstein, he dies a little bit inside.

Wasn't the Red Sox job offered to Beane first? He could have been the one to break the curse.
The movie, Moneyball begins by disparaging Johnny Damon's value. Damon was a key component of breaking the curse - he was a championship type ballplayer, not a sabremetrics type ballplayer. Theo Epstein doesn't break the curse without a player like Johnny Damon.
1. The movie is more of a feel good personal story and doesn't nearly portray what was going on.

2. You are still missing the point. Overvalued doesn't mean bad player. No one was saying that Damon was a bad player. But a team with limited funds was not going to pay Johnny Damon because they could get more value out of players who make less money. Teams with virtually unlimited funds don't care about value. Johnny Damon made sense for the Red Sox. He made no sense for the A's because of what they would have needed to give up

Mike Trout is a phenomenal baseball player. He makes $37.7M. The A's entire payroll is $69M and $13.5 of that is getting paid by the Texas Rangers this year. If the A's signed Mike Trout, they'd have nothing left to spend at any other position.

Quite frankly, there was probably "a player like Johnny Damon" making similar money that would have been more successful for the Sox than Johnny Damon, but they weren't available for the Red Sox to sign. But what you are missing in this is that if you are choosing between paying $20M for a $15M player and spending $5M for a $10M player, the A's need to pick the latter because that extra $15M is $15M they can't spend on the rest of their roster. The Red Sox don't give a damn about the extra money because it doesn't prevent them from signing whoever they want at other positions, so they need to do the former. The Red Sox still have the better player. And do that 26 times and you have the comparative roster between the two. The only way the A's ever have a better player at any roster spot is by developing the player themselves before the player is no longer under team control.

If you take away Elvis Andrus, who the A's just traded for and as part of the trade they got cash offsetting almost his entire salary, the A's highest paid player makes less than the average salary on the highest payroll teams. The Dodgers have 12 players that make more than the A's highest paid player.

The point of Moneyball was not that Scott Hatteberg was better than Johnny Damon. Is a $5 hamburger better than a $50 steak? Clearly the steak is better but the hamburger is a better value. If you have $50 to spend, you buy the steak. How about if you have $50 and 10 people to feed? Again, the lesson isn't that Moneyball doesn't work. It is that being cheap doesn't work.

And sorry, sabermetrics works. Mookie Betts is one of the best players in the game based on sabermetrics. The Dodgers were the best sabermetrics team. Blindly following sabermetrics is a bad strategy as is blindly following anything. But overall, sabermetrics works.
You hit the bullseye.

A's were able to compete with other teams using data analytics to find the best value below a certain amount when any other team at the time would be skidding along the bottom.

Epstein used data analytics but he went beyond looking for cheap talent. If there was an expensive talent that was overpriced but still better than an underpriced talent, he had the flexibility to sign the more expensive, overpriced but better talent. Also, he could take into account culture and character that is not subject to the type of data analytics (probably can be subject some other type of data analytics as Googles and Facebook has shown).

What is admirable about Billy Beane is that he was willing to step away from doing things just because that is how things have always been done and was willing to listen and keep an open mind. He had a problem he had to solve - competing with the lowest payroll - and instead of giving up and saying it is impossible, he listened to solutions, made himself be vulnerable and made an executive decision that probably went against his baseball training. Adapt or die.

Now, I trust that if he had the budget that Epstein had in Boston or Chicago, he would not have kept looking for cheap underpriced talent with the lowest payroll. I am sure he may have overpaid if that was the best player available.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.