Impeachment #2 Thread

45,159 Views | 540 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

LMFAO at you pearl clutching resistance warriors putting any time into this performative political sham. He won't be convicted. You know it. And yet you still pretend that you will get anything out of this.

Just pathetic.

1. The fact that the Republican Party won't do the right thing does not mean you make yourself complicit in that failure by giving up.

2. It is absolutely politically worthwhile to pin this on the Republicans for their failure to act.
Agree, and the more the GOP resists, the more people like me hate their guts and will never vote for them again.
concordtom
oskidunker said:

I think he might be convicted.
Already has been by 81 million!
It's just that there are 44 (now down to 44) that disagree.
I figure Putin has dossiers on them all.
concordtom
sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

SFBear92 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

He will run again. There is too much easy money in it for him.
I think he'll discover that there is more and easier money to be made in selling hotels, books and salami to foreigners.
He won't want to lose in the primary.
He will win the primary easily if he chooses to run.

He would now. 4 years is a long time. You'd be surprised how quickly the public can tire of a person when you are not in a position to give them anything.
The person who last won a primary is almost always the leader in polling immediately after the election, even if they lost in the general. Four years later they usually aren't.

Trump does seem to hold a particularly rabid kind of fan base, so I can see why it would be different with him. But I wouldn't be certain about it.
No way.
He's yesterday's news.
We are just in the process of taking out the trash.
concordtom
sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

I thought it might happen when McConnell was floating the idea that he might support impeachment, but when he voted against the constitutionality of the trial I no longer thought it was possible. Clearly McConnell realized there was not enough support in his own caucus to make it happen.
Like Bearister said, the GOP could probably just say, "He didn't do it" and rest their case and he'd be acquitted.
But maybe if the two lawyers suck as bad as they sucked today, maybe something could change and all of a sudden the GOP flips their vote en masse. Doubtful, but it's possible.
Maybe the Dems pull out some stunning new revelations. Maybe some FBI or inner WH person has recordings of him cheering the mob. We've been told there is supposedly new evidence we all haven't seen yet. It wouldn't be beyond the imagination to have some WH guard or somebody come forth and reveal what was going on in the WH on that day. Then the GOP goes and huddles and all flips their votes. You never know - maybe someone will step forward with something like that. It wouldn't take much - they already know he's guilty as sin. Drop a bombshell that rocks the nation and suddenly public opinion on him could turn and force the senators to say, "oh, well, we told you we would be impartial all along...."

I could see Trump floating down a river with a corn cob pin stuck in his butt. They should be glad to get rid of him once and for all.
concordtom
Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

LMFAO at you pearl clutching resistance warriors putting any time into this performative political sham. He won't be convicted. You know it. And yet you still pretend that you will get anything out of this.

Just pathetic.

1. The fact that the Republican Party won't do the right thing does not mean you make yourself complicit in that failure by giving up.

2. It is absolutely politically worthwhile to pin this on the Republicans for their failure to act.

Yeah, there just might come a day in which we'll want to have an official record of who was still supporting Trump. (Still, after all this!)
You've simply got to do it. Can't let this slide. He's a mobster, criminal, liar.
concordtom
bearister said:

He needed to put his finger in the dike so it didn't leak.
concordtom
Anarchistbear said:

Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

I thought it might happen when McConnell was floating the idea that he might support impeachment
That was McConnell playing Pelosi and the Democrats for fools again, stringing them along.

McConnell is more than happy to do anything to make Trump look like a fool and to delay Biden's agenda, which is what this trial is doing. He'd be thrilled if the base turned on Trump and they could go back to being the Republican Party of 2012, but he knows that Trump is vastly more popular than anyone in the Republican Party. And everyone in the party knows it too, which is why very few will vote to convict unless they want to face Liz Cheney's fate in 2022 when she gets primaried. Romney seems safe in Utah, so he'll have no issue voting to convict again and I suspect Ben Saase will vote to convict, but that's about it.

You will have failed again, as you failed in the last impeachment. And in 2022, both houses will swing back Republican.

They should have censured him in January which they likely could have won and would have been much more effective than this farce. They won Georgia because of Trump and thought they could drive a wedge between the Trumpistas and The Old Guard but overplayed their hand and are now holding yet another losing hand. Pelosi is a continuing disaster sitting on this thing for a month while the party rallies around Trump. Biden is saying he's not watching which tells you where he is at. He's not the only one.

I totally disagree with you.
When someone commits murder, you don't say, "Well, we could have gotten a conviction for wrist slapping".
No, you do the right thing. Let the Republicons live with their indecency.
What a sell out. That's what the framers of the constitution did when they came up with their 3/5ths clause.
I'm disappointed in you, Anarchy.

And don't believe one word of it about Biden not paying attention to this! That's the PR move to preempt the GOP claims that "you are stalling when you should be working on the pandemic, or anything else."
Biden is doing EXACTLY what he should be doing in order to strengthen the Democratic cause!

The Party is not rallying around Trump. They are imploding. Go ahead, continue to worship the devil. It paid off well in the 2018 and 2020 elections. I hope he returns in 2022 so we can trounce his arse again. He is FINISHED because his nightmare is only just beginning. Endless lawsuits.
smh
concordtom said:

actually, and y'all probably heard already, it's one of those religious things..
Quote:

Rabbi Menchem Genack, CEO of the kosher division of the Orthodox Union, explained that since Schoen is an observant Jew, he must cover his head and say a blessing whenever he eats or drinks.

"Each time we eat or drink something we say a blessing to thank God and we cover our head, typically with a yarmulke, to show respect and to acknowledge that there's someone above us," Genack told The Post.

"Since he wasn't wearing a yarmulke he wanted to at least cover his head with his hand."
Anarchistbear
concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

I thought it might happen when McConnell was floating the idea that he might support impeachment
That was McConnell playing Pelosi and the Democrats for fools again, stringing them along.

McConnell is more than happy to do anything to make Trump look like a fool and to delay Biden's agenda, which is what this trial is doing. He'd be thrilled if the base turned on Trump and they could go back to being the Republican Party of 2012, but he knows that Trump is vastly more popular than anyone in the Republican Party. And everyone in the party knows it too, which is why very few will vote to convict unless they want to face Liz Cheney's fate in 2022 when she gets primaried. Romney seems safe in Utah, so he'll have no issue voting to convict again and I suspect Ben Saase will vote to convict, but that's about it.

You will have failed again, as you failed in the last impeachment. And in 2022, both houses will swing back Republican.

They should have censured him in January which they likely could have won and would have been much more effective than this farce. They won Georgia because of Trump and thought they could drive a wedge between the Trumpistas and The Old Guard but overplayed their hand and are now holding yet another losing hand. Pelosi is a continuing disaster sitting on this thing for a month while the party rallies around Trump. Biden is saying he's not watching which tells you where he is at. He's not the only one.

When someone commits murder, you don't say, "Well, we could have gotten a conviction for wrist slapping".
What a sell out. That's what the framers of the constitution did when they came up with their 3/5ths clause.

And don't believe one word of it about Biden not paying attention to this! That's the PR move to preempt the GOP claims that "you are stalling when you should be working on the pandemic, or anything else."
Biden is doing EXACTLY what he should be doing in order to strengthen the Democratic cause!

The Party is not rallying around Trump. They are imploding. Go ahead, continue to worship the devil. It paid off well in the 2018 and 2020 elections. I hope he returns in 2022 so we can trounce his arse again. He is FINISHED because his nightmare is only just beginning. Endless lawsuits.

Tom... Tom. There is no legal crime charged here. There is a political crime charged here. Big difference. So now we have Trump with, no collusion, no impeachment(1) and no impeachment(2). And impeachment which used to be a grave matter of state has been reduced to a bunch of sobbing lawyers in a partisan **** show. A trivial form of rebuke. Everyone sees through this.

You're right about Trump being easily defeated if he rises again. All the more reason to hold fire.
blungld
OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

Yeah, principles are stoopid and for losers. That guy who stood in front of tank was never going to stop it if it wanted to drive over him. What an idiot. And those college kids protesting in Berkeley, they would never stop the war. So dumb.

You just go keep on cheering for the bad guys and rooting against the good guys big guy. We know where you stand.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
BearlyCareAnymore
Lucas Lee said:

OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

Says the guy who was gloating over Trump's victory last election night.

You want Democrats to fail so you see it happening everywhere.
It's so sad watching your pathetic attempts to lie about me.

I wasn't gloating about Trump's victory. I was laughing at the giant **** you were all taking in your pants when you presumed it was in the bag easily.

Except that I wasn't because unlike you I knew what states had late vote by mail and what was going to happen. At the end of the day it wasn't close.

And this is exactly what I mean. You'd rather make enemies you can laugh at and call pathetic rather than have a modicum of tact and try to win people to your side. You do nothing to try and accomplish what you say you want. You are too smart not to know that, so I can only conclude you really just want to jump up and down and make noise. Hey, we can all use an outlet so if venting about politics is yours fine. But everybody on this board has your number and the whole everyone else is a fake and a hypocrite rings hollow when your actions are so phony. And no I don't mean that like "that Michael Jordan is so phony!"
blungld
Lucas Lee said:

blungld said:

OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

Yeah, principles are stopped and for losers. That guy who stood in front of tank was never going to stop it if it wanted to drive over him. What an idiot. And those college kids protesting in Berkeley, they would never stop the war. So dumb.

You just go keep on cheering for the bad guys and rooting against the good guys big guy. We know where you stand.
You're dumb enough to believe the Democrats are good guys.
Want to take an IQ test? Name the intelligence test and I will smoke your ass.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Anarchistbear
Lmao. IQ Duel in the Denny's ( nah, make that Whole Food ) Parking Lot. One second allowed. Questions are asked until one keels over in boredom or exhaustion.
calpoly
Lucas Lee said:

blungld said:

OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

Yeah, principles are stopped and for losers. That guy who stood in front of tank was never going to stop it if it wanted to drive over him. What an idiot. And those college kids protesting in Berkeley, they would never stop the war. So dumb.

You're dumb enough to believe the Democrats are good guys.
And you are dumb enough to keep posting comments that no one cares about with multiple aliases.
AunBear89
So, what you are saying, is that you are an ass.

Well, duh.
calbear93
Anarchistbear said:

Lmao. IQ Duel in the Denny's ( nah, make that Whole Food ) Parking Lot. One second allowed. Questions are asked until one keels over in boredom or exhaustion.

That is a very Cal type of fight.

I hope no one thinks there is a chance for conviction. Acquittal is a political certainty. But I will say that it is still worth the trial. One, history has always remembered each and every impeachment trial. Trump deserves to stand alone in the history books and all his future descendants should understand his shame. Two, out of principle. If there was anyone who deserved an impeachment, this is it. While no one has been convicted so far, if we don't impeach over this, just do away with impeachment trial of a president. And finally, this gives the world a chance to see who will take a stand for Trump before country. I assume most Republicans will vote to acquit since convicting will finally split the party into a permanent minority, but they should be held on record as having done so.

What I suspect will happen is that there will be civil and criminal suits against Trump over this in the future. And having decent lawyers will matter for those trials.
dajo9
Lucas Lee said:

OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

I wasn't gloating about Trump's victory. I was laughing at the giant **** you were all taking in your pants when you presumed it was in the bag easily.

You should start a thread about how you choose which account to use
American Vermin
sycasey
dajo9 said:

Lucas Lee said:

OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

He's even recycling names again. No more creativity.
Eastern Oregon Bear
sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Lucas Lee said:

OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

He's even recycling names again. No more creativity.
Yeah, I think he's discovered he can create new accounts using his old banned names, so he's going for it. Or maybe the old names have served their time in the penalty box and have been released
concordtom
smh said:

concordtom said:

actually, and y'all probably heard already, it's one of those religious things..
Quote:

Rabbi Menchem Genack, CEO of the kosher division of the Orthodox Union, explained that since Schoen is an observant Jew, he must cover his head and say a blessing whenever he eats or drinks.

"Each time we eat or drink something we say a blessing to thank God and we cover our head, typically with a yarmulke, to show respect and to acknowledge that there's someone above us," Genack told The Post.

"Since he wasn't wearing a yarmulke he wanted to at least cover his head with his hand."

No, I absolutely had not heard.
Thank you, and I apologize for my inappropriate joke considering the reality.
Blessings to Shoen for his act.

Back to his presentation, it was still complete trash, gibberish.
concordtom
Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

Tom... Tom. There is no legal crime charged here. There is a political crime charged here. Big difference. So now we have Trump with, no collusion, no impeachment(1) and no impeachment(2). And impeachment which used to be a grave matter of state has been reduced to a bunch of sobbing lawyers in a partisan **** show. A trivial form of rebuke. Everyone sees through this.

You're right about Trump being easily defeated if he rises again. All the more reason to hold fire.
In this instance, I'll defer to Trump's representative:

TRUMP'S LAWYER KICKS OFF IMPEACHMENT TRIAL BY (ACCIDENTALLY?) SUGGESTING TRUMP SHOULD BE ARRESTED

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/02/bruce-castor-trump-impeachment-opening-statement

concordtom
SFBear92 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

He will run again. There is too much easy money in it for him.
I think he'll discover that there is more and easier money to be made in selling hotels, books and salami to foreigners.
He won't want to lose in the primary.
He will win the primary easily if he chooses to run.
As Morning Joe plays Raskin's video on a loop, I say again, it will become COMPLETELY untenable for established Republicans to vote/support Trump again.
That was devastating.

concordtom
Currently, CNN and MSNBC are reviewing yesterday's action in the Senate Trial and previewing today's.

Flip over to FoxNews and they have a segment with the banner: "Biden's failures are piling up", and the guy is accusing Jen Psaki of lying. I feel bad for folks who watch FoxNews. (This includes older family members, who straight up are brainwashed.)

Of course, there is nothing Fox can really say to clean up the mess Trump's lawyers laid. After they broke, "The Five" went on air to mainly state that none of that mattered. Those clowns need to be wiped off the air. Censor them!
Unit2Sucks
There is a marketplace for ideas and there must be an audience of idiots who enjoy watching the five. Censorship is not the answer but criticism is fair game. Fox is damaging our democracy but it has a willing audience. It's not a great situation obviously.
concordtom
Georgia now opening criminal investigation against Trump for his call to Raffensburger where Trump tried for an hour to convince him to "find 11,800 votes", including a threat.

This is the second state (behind NY) to open investigation against Trump.

He's been a sinking ship ever since he took office.

concordtom
Unit2Sucks said:

There is a marketplace for ideas and there must be an audience of idiots who enjoy watching the five. Censorship is not the answer but criticism is fair game. Fox is damaging our democracy but it has a willing audience. It's not a great situation obviously.
Let them say what they want. Just throw this stamp on the screen:

It's been suggested that The Fairness Doctrine be brought back.
We cannot run this country well when half the people accuse the other half of being brainwashed by Fake News on alternating media outlets - and vice versa.
concordtom
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is signaling to fellow Republicans that the final vote on Donald Trump's impeachment is matter of conscience and that senators who disputed the constitutionality of the trial could still vote to convict the former president, according to three people familiar with his thinking.

The Kentucky Republican has also suggested that he hasn't made up his mind how he'll vote, two of the people said, even though he voted Tuesday to declare it unconstitutional for the Senate to hear the case against a former president.

That position is starkly different than McConnell's declaration at the start of Trump's first impeachment trial last year that he did not consider himself an impartial juror.
concordtom
SPOTTED AT THE IMPEACHMENT TRIAL:
Sen. JOE MANCHIN (D-W.Va.) shaking his head during a montage in which Trump told the rioters, "We love you."
Sen. JOSH HAWLEY (R-Mo.) not listening in the cloakroom.
Sen. RAND PAUL (R-Ky.), the only senator who refused to wear a mask, doodling on a pad of paper during the manager presentations.
Rep. AL GREEN (D-Texas), who infuriated his own party by forcing votes to impeach Trump in 2017 and 2018, sitting in the gallery and taking it all in.
Sen. SUSAN COLLINS (R-Maine) holding her hand over her heart for several minutes after Raskin's presentation.
concordtom
I ask you, is there any BI member who loathes Trump as much as me???
concordtom
This is how stupid *some* Republicans are:

Michigan Senator Mike Shirkey Thinks Capitol Riot Was 'Staged,' Mitch McConnell Was 'Part of It'

https://www.newsweek.com/michigan-senator-mike-shirkey-thinks-capitol-riot-was-staged-mitch-mcconnell-was-part-it-1568075
concordtom
Never-seen-before security video of Capitol riot to open Trump impeachment trial Day 2

"We have the goods. We will be presenting the goods," aides to the Democratic impeachment managers said.

Democratic House impeachment managers will unveil "never-seen-before" video of the deadly Capitol riot during their opening arguments Wednesday as part of the case they're building against former President Donald Trump, senior aides said.

The Capitol security footage "will provide new insight into both the extreme violence that everyone saw, the risk and the threat that it could have led to further violence and death to many but for the brave actions of the officers and shows really the extent of what Donald Trump unleashed on our Capitol," the aides to the impeachment managers told reporters.

"We have the goods," they said. "Yesterday was our dry constitutional argument day. Today, the actual trial begins. We have the goods, we will be presenting the goods. We will be tying the evidence all together in a compelling case that will make it clear for everyone Democrats, Republicans, everyone that Donald Trump committed the most heinous constitutional crime possible."

The video "shows a view of the Capitol that is quite extraordinary and a view of the attack that has never been public before," the aides added in previewing the team's approach for the second day of Trump's second impeachment trial.

The day's proceedings will kick off Wednesday at noon ET, with the Democratic impeachment managers commencing their opening arguments.

They have 16 hours over two days to make their presentations and then Trump's attorneys begin their defense with the same amount of time allotted proceedings that will take the trial into the weekend and likely beyond.

House managers, however, aren't likely to use the full 16 hours, the senior aides on the impeachment manager team said.

the House managers are again expected Wednesday to use videos to weave a narrative of what happened in the Capitol on Jan. 6.

Tune in at 9am PST.
sonofabear51
Right there with you, CT
dimitrig
concordtom said:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is signaling to fellow Republicans that the final vote on Donald Trump's impeachment is matter of conscience and that senators who disputed the constitutionality of the trial could still vote to convict the former president, according to three people familiar with his thinking.

The Kentucky Republican has also suggested that he hasn't made up his mind how he'll vote, two of the people said, even though he voted Tuesday to declare it unconstitutional for the Senate to hear the case against a former president.

That position is starkly different than McConnell's declaration at the start of Trump's first impeachment trial last year that he did not consider himself an impartial juror.

Mitch is a weasel. He will hem and haw and say all the right things and then he will vote to acquit.

dimitrig
concordtom said:

I ask you, is there any BI member who loathes Trump as much as me???
I loathe him more than you do. I thought he was a chump even before he became a game show host.

sycasey
dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Mitch is a weasel. He will hem and haw and say all the right things and then he will vote to acquit.
My take is that McConnell would personally like to be rid of Trump permanently. But he's not sure he can hold enough of his caucus together to take that vote and doesn't want to be caught on the losing end, so he's sending up these trial balloons to see what happens. He'll vote to acquit if he can't drum up enough support with other Republicans to actually convict Trump.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.