Impeachment #2 Thread

45,169 Views | 540 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
holds up a little read book to illustrate a point he's making. Doesn't say what the book title is. Point lost.
concordtom
Okay, you guys aren't posting, so I've gone to Twitter to find some more chatter of my own.
This was the first thing that popped up, and it seemed appropriate.
Just change the coffin for Trump, and the teammates for GOP.

concordtom

bearister
tRump's first attorney should have simply gone up to the the mic, tapped it a couple of times while asking if it is on, and then said, "My client rests his case." The Senate could then vote to acquit, and it's all over in half a day. At least there would have been a microscopic residue of integrity in that.....but no, we have to go The Full Circle Jerk.*

*David must have to pee like a boar hog. He has drunk at least a 12 pack of tall waters.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom

concordtom
Katy Tur added a good point, which I noticed, too.

Defense lawyer criticized the Dem video as "blood sport" "paid for by a professional studio editing firm" (a point Fox News hosts made PRIOR to the Defense attorneys came on). Yet, they then showed a video of their own.

concordtom
concordtom
concordtom
Sneak Peak inside the chamber as the Senators listen to the Trump defense team:

concordtom
LOL. Shoen even himself just yawned in the middle of his poem.
No idea what he is saying!
concordtom
concordtom
Vote on Constitutionality of this Impeachment went 56-44.

Yes vote picked up 1.

concordtom
This should be good.

Econ For Dummies
concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

He will run again. There is too much easy money in it for him.
I think he'll discover that there is more and easier money to be made in selling hotels, books and salami to foreigners.
He won't want to lose in the primary.
He will win the primary easily if he chooses to run.
bearister
Senate votes that impeachment trial is constitutional after 4 hours of arguments - Axios

https://www.axios.com/trump-impeachment-trial-day-one-5728c1ad-bea2-4f9a-abb5-ef5456c319a1.html
concordtom
SFBear92 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

I think he'll discover that there is more and easier money to be made in selling hotels, books and salami to foreigners.
I had predicted he would be dealing with legal cases and thus pre-occupied.
I had thought those lawsuits would hit him on Jan 21.
But maybe they are waiting for this impeachment issue to clear out of the way first.

I said NO WAY would he win the Primary, and NOOO WAAAAY would he win the Presidency.
I grit my teeth and had trembling knees in November. (phew!)
I'm tripling down and saying that he won't run again.
blungld
A few thoughts:

1) Why do the Dems let the Trumpers continue to frame the debate about when impeachment is allowed? HE WAS IMPEACHED WHILE IN OFFICE!

2) What principle is the Trump defense and thereby his crony GOP defending? I can not think of one. Is it simply he is one of us and represents a voting constituency we want. That is what they are standing for? Do they actually think this is what presidents should do and that he does not meet the measure of an impeachable offense? That we don't remove or have consequences for insurrection against the nation and sabotage of our elections? What is impeachable we have all asked over and over with this man, if not these things, what? The GOP position: can't investigate a sitting GOP president, can't make a past GOP president accountable out of office.

3) Why do they act like some higher ethical position is being protected? A defense of Trump does not protect free speech or the First Amendment. Those are not in jeopardy. That's absurd. So why act like this is existential for the country or that Trump is needing to be protected as if the death penalty or life in prison are at stake? He did this. He asked everyone to do it too. It's not debatable. He is one man. He is not the country. He is not worth this.And the punishment is pretty mild: he can't run again. So what? Who needs him? He tried to screw up the system, it didn't work, he got caught, and now he needs to take his damn medicine like a man.

The depth the partisan GOP will lower itself to is just ghastly. Their oaths and duty to country are meaningless.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
BearlyCareAnymore
SFBear92 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

He would now. 4 years is a long time. You'd be surprised how quickly the public can tire of a person when you are not in a position to give them anything.
BearlyCareAnymore
Matthew Patel said:

LMFAO at you pearl clutching resistance warriors putting any time into this performative political sham. He won't be convicted. You know it. And yet you still pretend that you will get anything out of this.

Just pathetic.

1. The fact that the Republican Party won't do the right thing does not mean you make yourself complicit in that failure by giving up.

2. It is absolutely politically worthwhile to pin this on the Republicans for their failure to act.
bearister
OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

LMFAO at you pearl clutching resistance warriors putting any time into this performative political sham. He won't be convicted. You know it. And yet you still pretend that you will get anything out of this.

Just pathetic.

1. The fact that the Republican Party won't do the right thing does not mean you make yourself complicit in that failure by giving up.

2. It is absolutely politically worthwhile to pin this on the Republicans for their failure to act.

It's not worthwhile because Mittens lost.
oskidunker
I think he might be convicted.
Go Bears!
BearlyCareAnymore
bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

Just pathetic.

I don't think that is it. If someone actually stands for something and they can't get it passed they either: 1. Choose to compromise to get the best they can, move the ball forward and continue to fight to get what they want; or 2. Decide that compromise is not acceptable and then tries to convince people of their position.

When someone refuses to compromise and then just fires insults at everyone who disagrees, they don't really stand for anything. They have no desire to gain a result. They just want to have an internal justification to scream at the world. If you actually gave them everything they wanted, they would find a fault in it somewhere to keep screaming.
sycasey
OaktownBear said:

SFBear92 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

He would now. 4 years is a long time. You'd be surprised how quickly the public can tire of a person when you are not in a position to give them anything.
The person who last won a primary is almost always the leader in polling immediately after the election, even if they lost in the general. Four years later they usually aren't.

Trump does seem to hold a particularly rabid kind of fan base, so I can see why it would be different with him. But I wouldn't be certain about it.
sycasey
oskidunker said:

I thought it might happen when McConnell was floating the idea that he might support impeachment, but when he voted against the constitutionality of the trial I no longer thought it was possible. Clearly McConnell realized there was not enough support in his own caucus to make it happen.
Big C
OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

Just pathetic.

Yeah, there just might come a day in which we'll want to have an official record of who was still supporting Trump. (Still, after all this!)
AunBear89
YogiHydra said: "Blah blah blah blah Bernie blah blah blah."

Hey, Yogi, where's your indignation over hypocrite Bernie wearing a disposable mask? He acts like he cares about the environment, but really he is in the pockets of big PPE.
bearister
AunBear89
Blah blah blah look at me blah blah blah look at me.
sycasey
Matthew Patel said:

You will have failed again, as you failed in the last impeachment.
Guys, I didn't realize it, but apparently I am now in charge of the Democratic Party. I'd like to thank everyone who helped me on this journey to the top.
Anarchistbear
Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

I thought it might happen when McConnell was floating the idea that he might support impeachment
That was McConnell playing Pelosi and the Democrats for fools again, stringing them along.

McConnell is more than happy to do anything to make Trump look like a fool and to delay Biden's agenda, which is what this trial is doing. He'd be thrilled if the base turned on Trump and they could go back to being the Republican Party of 2012, but he knows that Trump is vastly more popular than anyone in the Republican Party. And everyone in the party knows it too, which is why very few will vote to convict unless they want to face Liz Cheney's fate in 2022 when she gets primaried. Romney seems safe in Utah, so he'll have no issue voting to convict again and I suspect Ben Saase will vote to convict, but that's about it.

You will have failed again, as you failed in the last impeachment. And in 2022, both houses will swing back Republican.

They should have censured him in January which they likely could have won and would have been much more effective than this farce. They won Georgia because of Trump and thought they could drive a wedge between the Trumpistas and The Old Guard but overplayed their hand and are now holding yet another losing hand. Pelosi is a continuing disaster sitting on this thing for a month while the party rallies around Trump. Biden is saying he's not watching which tells you where he is at. He's not the only one.

BearlyCareAnymore
Matthew Patel said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

Matthew Patel said:

Just pathetic.

I don't think that is it. If someone actually stands for something and they can't get it passed they either: 1. Choose to compromise to get the best they can, move the ball forward and continue to fight to get what they want; or 2. Decide that compromise is not acceptable and then tries to convince people of their position.

When someone refuses to compromise and then just fires insults at everyone who disagrees, they don't really stand for anything. They have no desire to gain a result. They just want to have an internal justification to scream at the world. If you actually gave them everything they wanted, they would find a fault in it somewhere to keep screaming.
That is a bunch of useless word salad and has nothing to do with the topic at hand, which is that this impeachment is a waste of everyone's time and is delaying far more important things that won't get passed either because Oaktown thinks I should "compromise" with Biden.

I stand for things. You just stand for the Democratic Party as a bastion of goodness. There's a big difference, but you're too pompous to know what that is.

Your whole life is a bunch of useless word salad. I don't think you should compromise. You should either compromise or actually try to convince people of your position. You won't compromise and you just scream insults at people. Stick by your guns, fine. If that is your strategy than phase 2 is make a reasonable argument. You show no sign of actually wanting to convince people. You just want to be mad. So be mad and useless.
BearlyCareAnymore
Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

I thought it might happen when McConnell was floating the idea that he might support impeachment
That was McConnell playing Pelosi and the Democrats for fools again, stringing them along.

McConnell is more than happy to do anything to make Trump look like a fool and to delay Biden's agenda, which is what this trial is doing. He'd be thrilled if the base turned on Trump and they could go back to being the Republican Party of 2012, but he knows that Trump is vastly more popular than anyone in the Republican Party. And everyone in the party knows it too, which is why very few will vote to convict unless they want to face Liz Cheney's fate in 2022 when she gets primaried. Romney seems safe in Utah, so he'll have no issue voting to convict again and I suspect Ben Saase will vote to convict, but that's about it.

You will have failed again, as you failed in the last impeachment. And in 2022, both houses will swing back Republican.

Says the guy who was gloating over Trump's victory last election night.

You want Democrats to fail so you see it happening everywhere.
concordtom
blungld said:

A few thoughts:

1) Why do the Dems let the Trumpers continue to frame the debate about when impeachment is allowed? HE WAS IMPEACHED WHILE IN OFFICE!

2) What principle is the Trump defense and thereby his crony GOP defending? I can not think of one. Is it simply he is one of us and represents a voting constituency we want. That is what they are standing for? Do they actually think this is what presidents should do and what he does not meet the measure of an impeachable offense? We don't remove or have consequences for insurrection again the nation and sabotage of our elections? What is impeachable we have all asked over and over with this man, if not these things, what? The GOP position: can't investigate a sitting GOP president, can't make a past GOP president accountable out of office.

3) Why do they get to act like some higher ethical position is being protected? A defense of Trump does not protect free speech or the First Amendment. Those are not in jeopardy. That's absurd. So why act like this is existential or that Trump is needing to be protected as if the death penalty or life in prison are at stake? He did this. He asked everyone to do it too. It's not debatable. The punishment is pretty mild.: he can't run again. So what? Who needs him? He tried to screw up the system, it didn't work, he got caught, and now take your damn medicine like a man.

The depth the partisan GOP will lower itself to is just ghastly. Their oaths and duty to country are meaningless.
Re point #1, that point was made in the Dems presentation. I don't know why you are saying that they are passive about that point. The GOP simply ignores the argumentation that Dems make and simply create their own reality. That's not Dems rolling over. That's Republicans being pigs.

2) What principle... They just want to stay in power. If their electorate demanded that slavery be reinstated, they would somehow find a way to justify it. That's hyperbole, of course, but they drive for nothing other than "power".

3) So why act like this is existential?.... Because fear communicates best to humans. And the GOP defense is merely to heighten fears for people who are going to see sound bites and/or who are not intelligent enough to understand what's going on. So, just say some outrageous stuff. It's not like anyone makes them pay much of a penalty for it. Shoot, Bob Corker, Jeff Flake are gone. Sasse is censured. There's a very stroke pull toward the central party, and the central party whips them in line. The central party knows that most republicans simply identify as republican and aren't going anywhere. The other fringe part are dumb zombies who say follow cheeseitz baits. I wish the party would completely implode. But the Messaging by Lawyer #1 today reminded them not to break ranks otherwise their constituents would be mad. It's a very pathetic realization for american politics. We are screwed by these idiots.
concordtom
Matthew Patel said:

Just pathetic.
Someone has to stand up for what's right.
You may be right, and I guess you are a Barry Bonds Lance Armstrong fan, right?
Cheaters. But as long as your side won, that's all you care about?
concordtom
OaktownBear said:

SFBear92 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

Maybe the Sicknick family will sue him for causing their son to die.
Who has standing that can sue him for the riot?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.