Get woke go broke - Bud Light etc

25,748 Views | 375 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Palestinian Chicken
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gonna start a thread because the story keeps getting funnier.

Bud Light Sales Crash "Getting Much Worse" In Latest Week Since Dylan Mulvaney Fiasco

BY TYLER DURDEN

THURSDAY, MAY 18, 2023 - 07:20 AM
The latest industry figures show that Bud Light's sales slump deepened into May as the fallout from the brand's engagement with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney continues to hammer Bud Light's bottom line.
Sales volumes of Bud Light fell by 23.6 percent in the week ended on May 6, according to retail scanner numbers cited by Beer Business Daily that are based on Nielsen IQ data.

That's a drop from the 23.3 percent slide Bud Light suffered in the final week of April.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/bud-light-sales-crash-worsens-latest-week-dylan-mulvaney-fiasco
calbear93
Cal88 said:

Bud Light Sales Crash "Getting Much Worse" In Latest Week Since Dylan Mulvaney Fiasco

BY TYLER DURDEN

The latest industry figures show that Bud Light's sales slump deepened into May as the fallout from the brand's engagement with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney continues to hammer Bud Light's bottom line.
Sales volumes of Bud Light fell by 23.6 percent in the week ended on May 6, according to retail scanner numbers cited by Beer Business Daily that are based on Nielsen IQ data.

That's a drop from the 23.3 percent slide Bud Light suffered in the final week of April.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/bud-light-sales-crash-worsens-latest-week-dylan-mulvaney-fiasco
You have to know your customer base.

Progressives are more likely to drink craft beer. Bud Light was more for the white, rural or middle class customer base.

They are screwed. They won't recover. They are not an apparel company. Nike would thrive with this type of advertisement. Bud Light would not. The error came in hiring or promoting the wrong person for the wrong customer base.
DiabloWags
Dont know why anyone in their right mind would want to drink Bud or Coors Light (piss beer) when there are so many incredbly delicious CRAFT BREWED BEERS out there.

This has been my hands-down go to Winner ever since I discovered it in 2019.
Henhouse Brewing, Sonoma

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
going4roses
What's the hub bub all about ? I don't drink so alcohol so I don't get it
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
DiabloWags
going4roses said:

If you want to find out you can simply read the OP's first post.

calbear93
going4roses said:

A bit of the impossible situations corporations are in now.

Complete abdication by the Trump administration led to institutional investors engaging in private ordering through proxy voting at annual shareholder meeting for companies to do what the government was not doing, from recognizing climate change to diversity.

That expanded the old legal concept that corporations have a legal fiduciary duty to seek the best interest of shareholders to a stakeholder concept that includes employees, customers, and community.

That has forced companies, partly through more empowerment of employees prior to recent layoffs as well as shareholder and social activists, to take political positions.

Naturally, this being a divided nation, there has been push back. For example, see Disney and Florida.

And Bud Light, not recognizing their customer base, stepped into the gender identity discussions, landing ever so briefly on the opposite side of most of their customers.

And their customers are reacting as expected.

Not having Bud Light, though, would not be worst thing in the world.
GoOskie
A tRumper regular on the tRump radio network here in Fresno was giddy yesterday talking about the end of Bud Light. I seriously doubt it's the end. It's practically America's beer. It's like Chevrolet. That well known jingle should be "Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet, and Bud Light!"

Anyway, I thought it was funny that after his tirade against Bud Light, a commercial came on about an upcoming country western concert here in Fresno. The commercial opened with "Sponsored by Bud Light!"
This just in: Republicans find another whistleblower who claims Hillary's emails were proven to be on Hunter's laptop while Obama spied on tRump as he sat (shat?) upon his golden toilet. Gym Jordan afraid whistle blower may be in danger of abduction by aliens in cahoots with Democrats.
Cal88
calbear93 said:

Cal88 said:

BY TYLER DURDEN

You have to know your customer base.

Progressives are more likely to drink craft beer. Bud Light was more for the white, rural or middle class customer base.

They are screwed. They won't recover. They are not an apparel company. Nike would thrive with this type of advertisement. Bud Light would not. The error came in hiring or promoting the wrong person for the wrong customer base.

Agreed. Anheuser Busch could have limited the damage by apologizing to their core customer base, but they won't for risk of offending the LGBT community, which ironically enough, is also boycotting the brand for them distancing from the trans spokesperson Mulvaney...

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/chicago-gay-bars-boycott-anheuser-busch-distancing-dylan-mulvaney-rcna83537
okaydo
okaydo

okaydo

Cal88
okaydo said:

I don't think so.
DiabloWags
Someone suffers from poor reading comprehension.
Playoff Ratings.

"ESPN announced that the first two playoff rounds on its platforms, including ABC, averaged 5.23 million viewers, the highest number since the network began carrying the NBA in the 2002-03 season, and up 14 percent since last year.

Game 6 of Lakers-Warriors drew 8.64 million viewers on ESPN and Game 7 of Celtics-Sixers on ABC had 8.44 million; these were the two most-watched second-round playoff games since 2011.

Five of the six Lakers-Warriors games, whether they were on ESPN, ABC or TNT, were in the top-10 most-watched first- or second-round games of the last decade, according to Sports Media Watch.

In the first round, when Game 7 between the Kings and Warriors drew 9.84 million viewers, it was the most-watched first-round game in 24 years, dating back to Bill Clinton's presidency."

okaydo
Cal88 said:

okaydo said:

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

MinotStateBeav
Cal88 said:

okaydo said:

I don't think so.

That graph is telling, since the early 2000's I thought the way the NBA was being officiated led to it being a worse product more than anything. They took away the minimal physicality it had and now it's a shooters league.
okaydo

bearister
Republicans have announced a boycott of Guinness after the beer company announced a commemorative label in Gaelic. Said a Republican Senator that asked to remain anonymous: "What's next, depicting the hind lick maneuver? Have those Mick b@$tards no common decency. Papist Wh@ores!"

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal88
okaydo said:

Actress Ilana Glazer scolds Miller for using scantly-clad women to promote their beer, regularly wears skimpy bikinis to promote her own social media brand:

https://instagr.am/p/CrOt0PVP-qE
AunBear89
Liars, hypocrites, and MORONS!

(As a beer, Miller Lite is indistinguishable from Bud Lite if it weren't for the packaging. As the old joke goes:

Why is American beer like sex in a canoe?
It's too ****ing close to water. )
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
calbear93
okaydo said:

Cal88 said:

okaydo said:

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

It's the demographics.

The NBA fanbase is not a complete overlap of the Bud Light consumer base.

Of course, many athletes of all colors are some of the most blatant bigots against those with different sexual orientation, but NBA fanbase is broader, with most teams tied to regional allegiance without alternative unlike Bud Light. A Lakers fan is not going to root for Celtics because of something LeBron said.
Cal88
Miller Lite is foul, it has a weird aftertaste, not quite as generic as the others megabrews.

Liar = all those who said this marketing fiasco doesn't matter

Hypocrite = that actress above lecturing the Miller audience on the exploitation of women in bikini to sell beer who sells her own brand by stripping off.

Moron = the Bud Light brand manager who looked down on her main customer segment.
dajo9
Trumpers are canceling one of their beers. Not sure why I am supposed to care. I stopped drinking all those brands after college.

Modelo is the best beer.
American Vermin
DiabloWags
A.) The VP of Marketing for Bud Light has an MBA from Wharton and a BS from Harvard in English Language and Literature/Letters.

The sad fact about this whole boondoggle is that a truck driver from Iowa would have had 100X more common sense when it comes to who the addressable market is for Bud Light. You would have thought that someone that had been working in Marketing at Annheuser-Busch since May of 2015 would have known better. She probably did but took a risk. A big risk.
The market has spoken. She lost.

B.) The people that keep bringing this up on message boards (like this and elsewhere) as the Poster Child for being "Woke" are the one's that drink this piss beer in the first place. Anyone that drinks Miller Lite, Michelob, Coors or Bud Light ( or Modelo for that matter ) is literally "brain-dead" in my opinion.

I really wouldnt even call any of those beers "real" Lagers and highly doubt that they even abide by the strict German brewing standards that Cal alum Dan Gordon followed after leaving Unit-3 and Ida Sproul for Germany after his freshman year in order to learn how to brew beer at the prestigious 5 year brewing program at the Technical University of Munich in Weihenstephan.

DiabloWags
dajo9 said:

Modelo is the best beer.

Hahahahahhaaaaaaa!
Yeah, sure it is.
okaydo
oski003
DiabloWags said:

A.) The VP of Marketing for Bud Light has an MBA from Wharton and a BS from Harvard in English Language and Literature/Letters.

The sad fact about this whole boondoggle is that a truck driver from Iowa would have had 100X more common sense when it comes to who the addressable market is for Bud Light. You would have thought that someone that had been working in Marketing at Annheuser-Busch since May of 2015 would have known better. She probably did but took a risk. A big risk.
The market has spoken. She lost.

B.) The people that keep bringing this up on message boards (like this and elsewhere) as the Poster Child for being "Woke" are the one's that drink this piss beer in the first place. Anyone that drinks Miller Lite, Michelob, Coors or Bud Light ( or Modelo for that matter ) is literally "brain-dead" in my opinion.

I really wouldnt even call any of those beers "real" Lagers and highly doubt that they even abide by the strict German brewing standards that Cal alum Dan Gordon followed after leaving Unit-3 and Ida Sproul for Germany after his freshman year in order to learn how to brew beer at the prestigious 5 year brewing program at the Technical University of Munich in Weihenstephan.

I have how you transitioned from mocking those saying the Dylan campaign hurt Bud Light to now mocking people who drink inexpensive beer, meanwhile finding ways to once again demonstrate your superiority to the common non-Porsche driving man. Have you considered admitting how wrong you were in attacking those who rightfully recognized the errors made by Anheuser Busch?
AunBear89
Yes - the owners of Miller Lite and Bud Lite should have recognized that anyone stupid enough to be a regular consumer of their products would also be stupid enough to buy in to this anti-woke culture war bullshyte that conservatives peddle.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
DiabloWags
Dan Gordon and I lived on the same floor in Ida Sproul Hall our Freshman year at CAL.
In fact, he lived right across the hallway from me. Played trombone in the Cal Marching Band and was on the crew team. He came out of the same high school as Steve Wozniak, Homestead High in San Jose.

Dan was literally a PIONEER in the craft brewing business, having gotten started back in 1987 producing authentic, German-style lagers and ales with his partner Dean Biersch.

Craft Beer Statistics | California Craft Beer

There are roughly 1100 craft breweries in California.
In fact, 95% of residents live within 10 miles of a brewery.

There's an awful lot of great beer out there!

And yet people care about Bud Light.

You just cant fix stupid.
tequila4kapp
okaydo said:

That is such a contrived conclusion by the author.
The NBA has backtracked from virtually all of its outwardly visible allegedly woke stuff.
Ratings have rebounded at least in part because of that.
They also got lucky to have some marquee matchups and that the Lakers and Knicks were good this year.
GoOskie
Oh no. At this rate republicans won't have anything to eat or drink.

What a shame that would be.
This just in: Republicans find another whistleblower who claims Hillary's emails were proven to be on Hunter's laptop while Obama spied on tRump as he sat (shat?) upon his golden toilet. Gym Jordan afraid whistle blower may be in danger of abduction by aliens in cahoots with Democrats.
tequila4kapp
going4roses said:

They hired a trans social media influencer for advertising purposes. Their VP of Marketing said the brand was too "fratty" and needed to be modernized. The former was offensive to the majority of their consumer base. The latter left no doubt that the brand was telling its consumer base to F off. Their consumers have responded by spending money elsewhere. Bud is getting what they deserve, IMO. I think their attempts to recover will fail. If you tell your consumer base to F off you have to take a side…fire the VP, fire the social media influencer, quite playing the middle with half measures.

The Miller Lite thing is so stupid. That is not Woke, IMO. It reflects a more mature and timely view of women. However, it also shows a complete lack of fun or sense of humor (the "sh*t" line falls flat, IMO). They swung and missed. But I think something better in that space could be really good. Maybe a scene where female execs are discussing ads with appropriate female visuals over drinks, a spill requires one of them to go topless…" The brand gets to make its point, the Neanderthals get their T&A and people probably talk about it because it's a humorous parody to make a point.
Cal88
tequila4kapp said:

going4roses said:

They hired a trans social media influencer for advertising purposes. Their VP of Marketing said the brand was too "fratty" and needed to be modernized. The former was offensive to the majority of their consumer base. The latter left no doubt that the brand was telling its consumer base to F off. Their consumers have responded by spending money elsewhere. Bud is getting what they deserve, IMO. I think their attempts to recover will fail. If you tell your consumer base to F off you have to take a side…fire the VP, fire the social media influencer, quite playing the middle with half measures.

The Miller Lite thing is so stupid. That is not Woke, IMO. It reflects a more mature and timely view of women. However, it also shows a complete lack of fun or sense of humor (the "sh*t" line falls flat, IMO). They swung and missed. But I think something better in that space could be really good. Maybe a scene where female execs are discussing ads with appropriate female visuals over drinks, a spill requires one of them to go topless…" The brand gets to make its point, the Neanderthals get their T&A and people probably talk about it because it's a humorous parody to make a point.

AB can recover, if they'd only completely disown their woke campaign, throw the Bud Light brand mgr MBA under the bus, and restart a classic beer ad campaign, but they can't, or won't.
calbear93
Cal88 said:

tequila4kapp said:

going4roses said:

AB can recover, if they'd only completely disown their woke campaign, throw the Bud Light brand mgr MBA under the bus, and restart a classic beer ad campaign, but they can't, or won't.
They are done.

Too much negative association with the brand that no one has an incentive to turn to them when there are so many other options. How much better is Bud Light over other mediocre beer that someone would risk mockery to drink Bud Light?

Not happening.

Stupid reason, bad marketing, and silly cancel culture but it is what it is. When we look at it from dollars and cents, they made the wrong call and they won't recover. Brands that are a commodity cannot alienate their customers. Maybe Amazon, Nike, Google, Disney where customers don't have equal options can exert their views. Not stupid beer like Bud Light.
GoOskie
Who wants to bet that by this time next next year Bud Light will be just fine and sales will be back to normal?
calbear93
GoOskie said:

Who wants to bet that by this time next next year Bud Light will be just fine and sales will be back to normal?
I don't think it will be back to normal.

The decline may plateau, but their revenue and margins are going to be much worse than their competitors and it will remain so. They will have to do major price cutting to increase volume, impacting margins and profit. They have to expense more on marketing. And people who are so passionate like the far right will never forget. It isn't as if Elizabeth Warren was the target customer for Bud Light.

They are done as far as their prior competitive position, and it will never by back to normal prior to the marketing snafu.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.