Get woke go broke - Bud Light etc

26,249 Views | 375 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Palestinian Chicken
GoOskie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So are you going to take the bet?
This just in: Republicans find another whistleblower who claims Hillary's emails were proven to be on Hunter's laptop while Obama spied on tRump as he sat (shat?) upon his golden toilet. Gym Jordan afraid whistle blower may be in danger of abduction by aliens in cahoots with Democrats.
Eastern Oregon Bear
GoOskie said:

Who wants to bet that by this time next next year Bud Light will be just fine and sales will be back to normal?
Yeah, that's my take on it, though I haven't had a light beer in years and won't miss Bud Light or Miller Lite if they disappear. The right wingers will find newer, fresher outrages to get the vapors over in the next couple of months. The current kerfuffle will slowly fade and sales will slowly recover. They may not go all the way back to where they were, but they will be viable brands.
calbear93
GoOskie said:

So are you going to take the bet?
Why would I bet with a stranger? What would be worthwhile to bet that I think I can collect?

Seems dumb. Isn't it enough that you would be right if they fully recover? It isn't as if $5 or $500 would be meaningful.

calbear93
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

GoOskie said:

Who wants to bet that by this time next next year Bud Light will be just fine and sales will be back to normal?
Yeah, that's my take on it, though I haven't had a light beer in years and won't miss Bud Light or Miller Lite if they disappear. The right wingers will find newer, fresher outrages to get the vapors over in the next couple of months. The current kerfuffle will slowly fade and sales will slowly recover. They may not go all the way back to where they were, but they will be viable brands.
Not being back to where they were is not being back to normal.
BearHunter
Big C

This story is one that many of us can get behind: I don't care for Bud Lite, nor the company that makes it, nor the people who are now boycotting it. So I can just sit back and laugh at them all! One of the feel-good stories of the year...
oski003
Big C said:

This story is one that many of us can get behind: I don't care for Bud Lite, nor the company that makes it, nor the people who are now boycotting it. So I can just sit back and laugh at them all! One of the feel-good stories of the year...

If only Smith & Wesson hired Dylan Mulaney...
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

Big C said:

If only Smith & Wesson hired Dylan Mulaney...
I wonder if anyone could get Dylan Mulaney to endorse Trump. Then maybe run commercials with Ru Paul endorsing DeSantis.
kal kommie
MinotStateBeav said:

Cal88 said:

okaydo said:

I don't think so.

That graph is telling, since the early 2000's I thought the way the NBA was being officiated led to it being a worse product more than anything. They took away the minimal physicality it had and now it's a shooters league.
The graph is telling a misleading story.

It's not the NBA particularly that is in ratings decline, practically all of the sports leagues are in massive long-term decline. Football has held up better than baseball, basketball, hockey, racing, etc, but even the ratings of the NFL and college football have been stagnant or declining.

And it's not really even sports. Pick any kind of television programming at random and you'll find the top rated programs draw much worse ratings than they used to not because the programming is necessarily less interesting but because there's been a continuous increase in the number of television channels available to the average American since the 1960s.

It's a no brainer that any sports broadcast will draw much higher ratings if it is on one of only three channels available to the vast majority of the public than if it is on one of 40 channels, and the same is true going from 40 channels to the hundreds available to most Americans today.

I don't think officiating or play style or woke branding have made a significant difference in the NBA's ratings. I think it's overwhelmingly been about broad structural factors on a level far above any particular television product like the NBA.
okaydo
Cal88
"If I'm trying to ride the corporate America gravy train while posing as a Black activist, I should defend Disney and Budweiser and bash Trump".
calbear93
Cal88 said:

"If I'm trying to ride the corporate America gravy train while posing as a Black activist, I should defend Disney and Budweiser and bash Trump".

Trying to decide who they hate more results in some awkward positions like defending Trump.
chazzed
DiabloWags said:

Dont know why anyone in their right mind would want to drink Bud or Coors Light (piss beer) when there are so many incredbly delicious CRAFT BREWED BEERS out there.

This has been my hands-down go to Winner ever since I discovered it in 2019.
Henhouse Brewing, Sonoma

If money is a big factor, then I can understand choosing a macrobrew. But, yeah, Henhouse makes very good beer. If you are looking for a high-quality beer company with better distribution, I suggest New Belgium. All of their stuff is tasty, and you can find it in markets like Safeway, Vons, and CVS.
okaydo
okaydo
BearHunter
DiabloWags said:

A.) The VP of Marketing for Bud Light has an MBA from Wharton and a BS from Harvard in English Language and Literature/Letters.

The sad fact about this whole boondoggle is that a truck driver from Iowa would have had 100X more common sense when it comes to who the addressable market is for Bud Light. You would have thought that someone that had been working in Marketing at Annheuser-Busch since May of 2015 would have known better. She probably did but took a risk. A big risk.
The market has spoken. She lost.

B.) The people that keep bringing this up on message boards (like this and elsewhere) as the Poster Child for being "Woke" are the one's that drink this piss beer in the first place. Anyone that drinks Miller Lite, Michelob, Coors or Bud Light ( or Modelo for that matter ) is literally "brain-dead" in my opinion.

I really wouldnt even call any of those beers "real" Lagers and highly doubt that they even abide by the strict German brewing standards that Cal alum Dan Gordon followed after leaving Unit-3 and Ida Sproul for Germany after his freshman year in order to learn how to brew beer at the prestigious 5 year brewing program at the Technical University of Munich in Weihenstephan.

Who is the addressable market for Henhouse IPA consumers? Maybe the brewery should replace their hen graphic with Dylan Mulvaney to find out.
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearHunter said:

DiabloWags said:

A.) The VP of Marketing for Bud Light has an MBA from Wharton and a BS from Harvard in English Language and Literature/Letters.

The sad fact about this whole boondoggle is that a truck driver from Iowa would have had 100X more common sense when it comes to who the addressable market is for Bud Light. You would have thought that someone that had been working in Marketing at Annheuser-Busch since May of 2015 would have known better. She probably did but took a risk. A big risk.

B.) The people that keep bringing this up on message boards (like this and elsewhere) as the Poster Child for being "Woke" are the one's that drink this piss beer in the first place. Anyone that drinks Miller Lite, Michelob, Coors or Bud Light ( or Modelo for that matter ) is literally "brain-dead" in my opinion.

I really wouldnt even call any of those beers "real" Lagers and highly doubt that they even abide by the strict German brewing standards that Cal alum Dan Gordon followed after leaving Unit-3 and Ida Sproul for Germany after his freshman year in order to learn how to brew beer at the prestigious 5 year brewing program at the Technical University of Munich in Weihenstephan.

Who is the addressable market for Henhouse IPA consumers? Maybe the brewery should replace their hen graphic with Dylan Mulvaney to find out.
Waaahhhhh!!!!! They won't be my boogeyman!
BearHunter

BearHunter said:

DiabloWags said:

Do you think Fetterman is a Bud Light guy?
MinotStateBeav
BearHunter said:

BearHunter said:

DiabloWags said:

After a hard day of not knowing where he is, the PA Senator sits down to a large tall cold glass of Moose Drool.
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearHunter said:

BearHunter said:

DiabloWags said:

When you've got nothing, change the subject.
Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

BearHunter said:

BearHunter said:

DiabloWags said:

After a hard day of not knowing where he is, the PA Senator sits down to a large tall cold glass of Moose Drool.

When your pal has nothing, jump in and help him change the subject.
BearHunter

You got nothing to lose but choose wisely.
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearHunter said:

You got nothing to lose but choose wisely.
I don't drink alcohol very often. When I make one of my rare beer selections, I don't drink light beer or have a jelly bean.
Cal88
dimitrig

Anheuser Busch owns a lot of beer brands including Michelob, Stella Artois, Golden Road, Shock Top, Rolling Rock, Red Hook, and Widmer among others.

Why do conservatives care so much about which beer trans people drink or that a company might market to them? Companies market to anyone with a pulse.

How pathetic that so many people in this country are bigots and PROUD OF IT.

Cal88
dimitrig said:

Anheuser Busch owns a lot of beer brands including Michelob, Stella Artois, Golden Road, Shock Top, Rolling Rock, Red Hook, and Widmer among others.

Why do conservatives care so much about which beer trans people drink or that a company might market to them? Companies market to anyone with a pulse.

You're fundamentally wrong here, this was not a marginal urban campaign geared at a small urban segment, it was a national campaign led by the brand manager of the leading beer brand in the US.
OsoDorado
Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

You're fundamentally wrong here, this was not a marginal urban campaign geared at a small urban segment, it was a national campaign led by the brand manager of the leading beer brand in the US.

So what?

Why is it significant that it "was a national campaign led by the brand manager of the leading beer brand in the US"?
dajo9
OsoDorado said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

So what?

Why is it significant that it "was a national campaign led by the brand manager of the leading beer brand in the US"?
Thank you for posting. That was my initial thought also, but I didn't care enough about the topic to reread and see if I was missing something.
American Vermin
MinotStateBeav
OsoDorado said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

So what?

Because it's the opposite of what the customers of said beer preferred, and now they've lost their azzes off hahaha, that's the "Significant" part...how much money they lost. It's also SIGNIFICANTLY more funny watching you fish flop around because of it.

It's like if you're the leader of a major university in the bay area and you hire Mike Pence to be your athletic director....how do you think that works out?
Cal88
At least with the Pencey AD we get a good decision every now and then, like Mad Dog. Not so much with Mrs Woke "shaking up" the Bud Light brand, that's a total writeoff.
BearHunter
dimitrig said:

Why did some nutjob care about Dylan Mulvaney so much that she decided to make him the face of the company?

None of these dudes ended up on the can.

DiabloWags
BearForce said:

Why did some nutjob care about Dylan Mulvaney so much that she decided to make him the face of the company?

Why would anyone in their right mind drink Bud, Coors, or Miller Light in the first place .... when there are so many delicious craft beers out there?

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
dimitrig
BearHunter said:

dimitrig said:

Dylan Mulvaney wasn't the face of the company. The company sent her A CAN with her face on it to thank her. It is not like her face was on every can of Bud Light sold.

Anheuser-Busch characterized their partnership with Mulvaney as just one of many influencers who allow the brand to "authentically connect with audiences across various demographics and passion points." The company also clarified that Mulvaney's can "was a gift to celebrate a personal milestone and is not for sale to the general public."

"We never intended to be part of a discussion that divides people," the statement continued. "We are in the business of bringing people together over beer."

Mulvaney has endorsed other brands such as Ulta, Nike, Instacart, KitchenAid, and Crest as well so are GOP asshats boycotting those, too?

What exactly are they worried about anyway?

tequila4kapp
dimitrig said:

BearHunter said:

dimitrig said:

Dylan Mulvaney wasn't the face of the company. The company sent her A CAN with her face on it to thank her. It is not like her face was on every can of Bud Light sold.

Anheuser-Busch characterized their partnership with Mulvaney as just one of many influencers who allow the brand to "authentically connect with audiences across various demographics and passion points." The company also clarified that Mulvaney's can "was a gift to celebrate a personal milestone and is not for sale to the general public."

"We never intended to be part of a discussion that divides people," the statement continued. "We are in the business of bringing people together over beer."

Mulvaney has endorsed other brands such as Ulta, Nike, Instacart, KitchenAid, and Crest as well so are GOP asshats boycotting those, too?

Nice try.
They said those things after the fact.
Contemporaneously the VP of marketing justified the campaign by saying the brand was too fratty and needed to modernize. This was part of a strategy that deemed its massive existing customer base expendable, offensive and antiquated. That's fine, they can make whatever decisions they want about where to take their products. But consumers are not merely biggots for saying that direction isn't to their liking. Corporations who want to enter the culture wars do so at their own financial peril.
dimitrig
tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

BearHunter said:

dimitrig said:

Nice try.
They said those things after the fact.
Contemporaneously the VP of marketing justified the campaign by saying the brand was too fratty and needed to modernize. This was part of a strategy that deemed its massive existing customer base expendable, offensive and antiquated. That's fine, they can make whatever decisions they want about where to take their products. But consumers are not merely biggots for saying that direction isn't to their liking. Corporations who want to enter the culture wars do so at their own financial peril.

Customers are bigots if they stop drinking a beer that they liked merely because said company employed a transgender person to help them sell more beer.

There are lots of reasons I might stop using a product that employs a spokesperson I don't like. For example, if Donald Trump was used to sell Toyotas.

However, Dylan Mulvaney's only sin is being transgender. That's why the response is rooted is bigotry.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.