The Official 2024 Paris Olympics Thread

24,536 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by AunBear89
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Opening Ceremonies being held LIVE on the river Seine.

First time there has been rain (non-stop) during an Opening Ceremonies since Helsinki in 1952.

LeBron James and Coco Gauff were voted by their USA teammates to be flag bearers.

Team USA about to be introduced floating down the river.
594 athletes representing 46 states!

Note: Simone Biles will be performing a new "original" skill on the uneven bars that will be named for her if she successfully completes it, according to the IGF. If she can complete it, it would be Simone's 6th "named" move in the sport.

USA!
USA!
USA!

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
DiabloWags
Torch on its final relay leg.

Tony Parker running with the torch now after Amelie Mauresmo handed it off to him.
DiabloWags
The Cauldron floating towards the heavens has been lit.
And Celine Dion performs for the first time since her neurological disorder was diagnosed.
She gave a stunning rendition of Edith Piaf's L'Hymne a L'amour.

I got goosebumps.

bear2034

Is anyone else watching the rest of this garbage?
bear2034

The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony is sponsored by Klaus Schwab, Bill Gates, Pfizer, the CIA, the World Health Organization, the World Economic Forum, and the Antichrist.
DiabloWags
Only 24 posts today by you but the day is still young.
39 yesterday.

You still living in your parent's basement bro?

You're living the Dream.

bear2034
Bro, I would convert 2% of your Ruble to Bitcoin now before it's too late, bro.

Cal88

"Some parts of the Paris opening ceremony were honestly very nice (my favorite was Cline Dion singing from to the whole of Paris from the top of the Eiffel tower) but this was frankly beyond ridiculous.

If only for the fact that this is supposed to be a family-friendly show... Which as a matter of fact I was watching with my 2 daughters: really didn't expect to have to answer question from my 5-year old like "papa, why does the bearded man have boobs?" And there was another part of the show where they displayed a threesome between 2 gay men and a woman where they all kiss...

Call me reactionary or old-fashioned but I fail to see how it serves anyone:
- Certainly doesn't serve the image of France in the immense majority of the planet, it just confirms the narrative that "France is just another member of the decadent and woke West".
- It doesn't serve the LGBT movement either. If I was gay, I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with this person, just like as a straight person I don't want to be represented by an ultra-sexualized caricature of a straight guy... In fact I think I'd even feel insulted because he's so extreme and caricatural.
- It doesn't serve the Olympics, what does this even have to do with it? I thought it was about sports and bringing the world together. This is obviously bound to be very divisive..."
bear2034
Cal88 said:

Which as a matter of fact I was watching with my 2 daughters: really didn't expect to have to answer question from my 5-year old like "papa, why does the bearded man have boobs?"

Kids of all ages watching it were asking the same question.
Cal88
The basic idea of having the ceremony outside, along the Seine River and to feature the city was brilliant, Paris being the grandest and most beautiful big city in the world, and the athletes cruising on bateaux-mouches was very cool. It could have been a ceremony for the ages, instead it was ruined by the organizer pushing his cultural agenda on the whole world watching.

The worst part for me was the decapitated Marie-Antoinette singing and the ensuing glorification of the bloodbath from the French Revolution, a very gruesome celebration.

It was like going to a grand restaurant in Paris, and being served a big plate with amazing piece of boeuf Chateaubriand and a side of manure.

Some of the better highlights:

Standing ovation for this small boat:

dimitrig

It's almost like Paris is a bohemian city or something.

Who knew?

Anarchistbear
Fckin interminable, so much so I forgot there were athletes in a ceremony amidst the montage of commercials, performances, Snoop, kinky incomprehensible s$it, and "oh wow" Kelly Clarkson who should've been strangled and tossed on a burning barge as one of the salutes to…something.
Cal88
dimitrig said:

Who knew?

You don't say?? Maybe I'll go visit there sometime.
dajo9
Every Parisian I spoke to last fall said it was going to be a nightmare and they planned to leave town for the Olympics
He / Him
Cal88
That is a truly remarkable post from you, because it's true. The whole core of the city along the river and large parts of the other parts featured in the opening are all fenced off, even to locals, who need to have a special app to get through.

Ironically the Olympics have actually killed off tourism in Paris this Summer.
dimitrig
Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Who knew?

You might like it despite all the weirdos

bear2034
Cal88
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Who knew?

You haven't met some of my cousins.
AunBear89
I'll see if I can find a manager for all you Righteous Righty Karens to talk to.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Cal88
Thanks for the update from Kitsap County.
dimitrig
Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Who knew?

You haven't met some of my cousins.

My Parisian cousins all seem pretty normal until you hear them speak.

AunBear89
Paris would be a wonderful place to visit, if it weren't full of Parisians.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
DiabloWags
Womens 400m Free Final at 11:30 am PST.

KATIE LEDECKY TIME!
DiabloWags
A MASSIVE SHOWDOWN.

"Australia's standout Ariarne Titmus, the budding Canadian star Summer McIntosh and Katie Ledecky, the greatest female swimmer in U.S. history.

Titmus, the current world record holder, is the favorite to repeat for gold after her remarkable come-from-behind finish over Ledecky at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021. Still, Ledecky, who is now 27, said this week at a press conference that she liked her chances."
Cal88
Tight race ahead indeed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_record_progression_400_metres_freestyle#Long_course_2

Great effort earlier today by cyclist Chloe Dygert, who wiped out on the wet cobblestones in a time trial race held under the rain
PARIS Team USA cyclist Chloe Dygert earned a bronze medal Saturday in the individual time trial of the road cycling event with a time of 41:10.70. Other medalists were Australian Grace Brown (gold, 39:38:24) and Great Britain's Anna Henderson (silver, 41:09.83).

Dygert crashed on a left turn on a cobblestone stretch just before the second time check, but recovered well enough for the third-place finish. The medal marked Dygert's third in Olympic competition, but her first in the individual time trial. She has also won a silver (2016, Rio de Janeiro) and a bronze (2021, Tokyo) in the women's team pursuit.

In other news, a small scandal with the Canadian women's soccer team caught using a drone to spy on their competition! 3 coaches suspended and sent home.

Rugby 7s final incoming, France vs defending gold medalists Fiji.
Big C

Not directly Cal-related, but almost sort of:

In rowing, the Men's 4 and the Men's Double Scull boats representing the US in Paris consist entirely of members of the California Rowing Club. Though not affiliated with Cal, they train out of the Cal boathouse (Ebright Boathouse at T. Gary Rogers Rowing Center on the Oakland estuary, not too far from the Park Street bridge between Oakland and Alameda).

The California Rowing Club was formed to help top post-college US rowers transition to the Olympic level and is one of a small handful of spots in the US for these men and women to train at with elite coaches. None of the guys in the two boats I mentioned happened to have gone to Cal (most are from back East), but when these rowers are in their club jerseys modeled after the state flag, they do look very "California"!

The above boats are racing this week, starting today. Good luck!

Cal88
World's best rugby player Antoine Dupont dominates the final, hands Fiji its first ever olympic loss.

Dupont highlights
DiabloWags
I watched Dygert go down in a tight slippery corner on the cobbles. Pretty amazing effort by her.

She was less than one second from Silver!
DiabloWags
55 Golden Bear Athletes competing in Paris.
Plus 3 coaches.

16 swimmers.
6 from the U.S. if Im not mistaken.

https://calbears.com/news/2024/7/24/olympics-record-setting-59-golden-bears-head-to-paris.aspx
bearister
I find it interesting that Rick Barry's son, Canyon, is playing in the 3 on 3 hoop. He seems like a very impressive young man.

After graduating summa cum laude with a degree in physics from the College of Charleston and earning a master's degree in nuclear engineering from Florida, Barry works as a systems engineer in addition to being a full-time G League basketball player.

*Shoots his FT under handed like Pops. The dude has some paws. Look how small that ball looks.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
DiabloWags
Yup, I read an article on him earlier in the year. Impressive for sure!

That whole Family is super athletic and competitive.

Scooter, Jon, Brent, and Drew.

Canyon is the youngest and is from Rick's third wife, Pam. He won the 6th Man of The Year" award in the SEC in 2017.

He played overseas for a season with a team in China. Was in Des Moines playing for an NBA G League team from 2018 - 2022.

Just 20 years old.

bearister
https://alumni.berkeley.edu/california-magazine/online/a-cal-fans-guide-to-the-2024-paris-olympics/
movielover
WHO designed the Satanic and anti-Vhritian themes, and WHO approved it?

Why didn't they knock Mohammed?
bearister
Every Olympics I like to pick one athlete I deem my favorite. Last Olympics it was former Oregon sprinter Jenna Prandini (didn't qualify at trials for Paris Olympics).
This year my designated favorite Olympian is 100m/200m man KUNG FU KENNY BEDNAREK:

Kenny Bednarek facts: Team USA Olympic track star medals, records, nickname

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2024/07/kenny-bednarek-track-usa-record-paris-olympics

*I just dig the dude's demeanor and style.
*I am also a fan of British 100m/200m man Zharnel Hughes and Jamaican sprinter Shericka Jackson, although she looks a wee bit juiced to me recently.
*Also a fan of American 200m man Erriyon Knighton.
DiabloWags
Nice pick with Kenny Bednarek!

You'll be happy to learn that Jenna Prandini of Clovis will be in Paris. She's on the 4x100m relay team.

She joins Duck teammate (one of my faves) from New Zealand in the 1500m, Jessica Hull.

Dont let her cute "blonde" look and permanent smile on her face fool you. She is a FIERCE competitor!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.