The Official 2024 Paris Olympics Thread

25,155 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by AunBear89
OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

400m Men's Final

Seriously - I don't think I have ever seen a 400m like that. Usually the leaders are just gliding to the finish like cheetahs.

Q. Hall was laboring, gritting his teeth, clearly in pain, coming from way behind on nothing but pure heart for another Team USA gold. What an effort.
bearister
I may be missing something here but I think the most exciting races in the Olympics so far have been the mixed 4 x 400 relay, the Men's 100m, the Men's 1500m and the Men's 400m.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
DiabloWags
I dont think that I've ever seen a 400m race where the first 5 GUYS across the finish line were ALL UNDER 44.00 and I've been watching Olympic T&F since 1968.

And Kiryani James, the 2012 Olympic Champ ran 43.87 and came in FIFTH.

Truly stunning performances.
Hall looked like he was "toast" at 300m.
I've never seen anything like that!

Quincy Hall 43.40
Matthew Hudson-Smith 43.44
Muzala Samukonga 43.74
Jereem Richards 43.78
Kiran James 43.87
Chris Bailey 44.58
Samuel Ogazi 44.73
Michael Norman 45.62

Note: Michael Norman once again disappoints in a Big Meet. Not sure what's up with that young man who was running 43's in college. He was to be the next Michael Johnson. Dude wasn't even in the race coming off the turn. Literally out of camera view.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
DiabloWags
I think that Grant Halloway in the 110m High Hurdles will be MIND-BLOWING.
He's gonna make winning Gold look so easy.

Not sure if he can get the WR at 12.80
But he is running really well in his heats.

Stay tuned!
bearister

"Arms pumping, legs churning, face twisted in a grimace, Quincy Hall kept coming even when he appeared hopelessly far behind. Hall was a distant fourth place in the Olympic 400 meters final and he was running out of purple track between him and the finish line.

With 50 meters to go, he charged past fading former Olympic champion Kirani James. With 40 meters to go, he ran down Jereem Richards like the Trinidadian's shoes were made of cement. Only pre-race favorite Matthew Hudson-Smith of Great Britain remained ahead of him, and Hall was reeling him in too.

As Hall ran, he said to himself, "Get home, son." He thought about all those grueling practices running by himself. He thought about putting himself through junior college. He thought about his two brothers who died young, his mom and his two young daughters."
YahooSportsAM
going4roses
Is snoop the face of the Olympics ? He and his team have pulled off a Re Branding to be studied imo.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
DiabloWags
bearister said:

The best 400m time run by Lee Evans (San Jose State Speed City member along with Tommie Smith and John Carlos) was 43.86 in 1968.

The current world record in the 400m is 43.03. With the advances in shoes, track surfaces, training methods, nutrition, and athletes getting faster and stronger, wouldn't you think in the course of 56 years that a full second could have been chopped off Lee Evans time?

Lee Evans was born in Madera and was coached by SJSU Hall of Famer Bud Winter.
Sadly, he died 3 years ago from a stroke in Lagos, Nigeria at the age of 74.

Tommie Smith and John Carlos were the faces of the Olympic Project for Human Rights.
but Smith and Lee Evans were the driving forces behind the movement.

Even though he broke the WR in Mexico City, Evans said that he could have run faster if he had not been receiving DEATH threats prior to (and during) the Olympics.

Recall that Mexico City was the first Olympics that went to automatic timing
No more stop watches.

But I'm unsure of just how sophisticated that timing was.
Even so, that 43.86 mark just goes to show how strong and fast he was.

DiabloWags
bearister said:

As Hall ran, he said to himself, "Get home, son." He thought about all those grueling practices running by himself. He thought about putting himself through junior college. He thought about his two brothers who died young, his mom and his two young daughters."

YahooSportsAM

In his post race interview with Lewis, he said that (this year) he just needed to figure out how to focus on himself, focus on his daughters, and focus on his animals . . . with no distractions.

Love this guy!

bearister
bearister
He has awesome comic timing and passion about the Olympics. I read NBC is paying him $500k/day.
bearister
Men's 200m and Women's 400m hurdles Finals!

dajo9
Who let Carmelo Anthony into the arena?
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
dajo9
That was a good basketball game
Cal88
Much closer than the previous matchup last week. Serbia really punches above its weight in sports, for a country of 6 million. Team Yugoslavia with Croatia and the other republics would have been a powerhouse in several team sports, soccer, volleyball, water polo and basketball. They would have won at least one soccer world cup had they stayed together, completely dominated water polo and dominated European hoops.

Talking about soccer and Yugoslavia reminds me of Ibrahimovic's goal against England, which IMHO is the greatest goal ever scored, the sheer audacity of even attempting something like that is breathtaking:

Ibra's Swedish national, but his father is Muslim Bosnian and his mother Catholic Croatian, in other words a classic Yugo mutt.
bearister
Olympics star reveals SHOCKING condition of his medal after a week

https://mol.im/a/13725311
Big C
going4roses said:

Is snoop the face of the Olympics ? He and his team have pulled off a Re Branding to be studied imo.

He's starting to remind me of Apollo Creed in the first Rocky movie.
Cal88
^Seriously overexposed.
dajo9
Laughing all the way to the bank
going4roses
lol
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
bear2034
Cal88

DiabloWags
Young people can be pretty naive.
Nothing is FREE.

Even Medicare is $175 a month.

DiabloWags
Both Men's and Women's 4x100m Relay Teams got the stick around in the semis.

Lyles won't be running anchor for the men because of Covid.

But our team looks super fast anyway and the new kid Courtney Lindsey (Texas Tech) anchored us to a 37.47
He ran 9.89/19.86 at NCAA's

Aside from a botched handoff between Coleman and Kerley (legs 1 and 2) Team USA looked real good!

Jamaica, surprisingly did not qualify.

China finished #1 in the second semi in 38.24
Their team practices all year long together. As a result, solid hand-offs.

DiabloWags
The USA Women dominated their 4x100m relay semi as well in 41.94

They had a bad hand-off between TT Torri and Gabby Thomas, but that should be able to get fixed.
Sha'Carri got the stick behind Germany and literally motored right past her while giving her a "look"

GB and Germany (and perhaps France) will be in the hunt for the podium.

Sha'Carri Richardson, USA and Women's Track and Field 4x100m Relay Qualifying Results | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report
DiabloWags
In the Heptathlon, Anna Hall continues her quest for the podium.

After 4 of the first 7 events on Day #1, she is in 3rd place with 3,956 points behind Thiam (Belgium) with 4,007 points and 2-time World Champ, Great Britain's Katarina Johnson-Thompson with 4,055.

Anna ran the 110 hurdles in 13.36, high jumped 1.89 meters (a personal best), and threw the shot 13.11 meters, and finished up with a 200m in 23.89

She had knee surgery in January.

She amassed a world leading 6,988 points in May of 2023 in Gotzis, Austria.
In that meet, she turned in the second-best ever first day score only behind Jackie Joyner-Kersee's one day total of 4,172.

The Hep concludes today with the long jump, javelin, and 800m.

DiabloWags
Great looking family!
Graduated from Florida.

DiabloWags
Today's TV Schedule for LIVE events in T&F:

• Women's Heptathlon Long Jump: 4:05 a.m. ET on Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Women's 4 x 400m Relay Round 1: 4:40 a.m. ET on USA, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Men's 4 x 400m Relay Round 1: 5:05 a.m. ET on USA Network, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw - Group A: 5:20 a.m. ET on Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Men's 800m Semi-Final: 5:30 a.m. ET on Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Women's 100m Hurdles Semi-Final: 6:05 a.m. ET on USA Network, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw - Group B: 6:30 a.m. ET on Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Women's 4 x 100m Relay Final: 1:30 p.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Women's Shot Put Final (Medal event): 1:40 p.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Men's 4 x 100m Relay Final (Medal event): 1:45 p.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Women's 400m Final (Medal event): 2 p.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Men's Triple Jump Final (Medal event): 2:10 p.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Women's Heptathlon 800m: 2:15 p.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Women's 10,000m Final (Medal event): 2:55 p.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
  • Men's 400m Hurdles Final (Medal event): 3:45 p.m. ET on NBC, Peacock and NBCOlympics.com.
Cal88
DiabloWags said:

Nothing is FREE.

Basic healthcare is free in nearly every industrialized country around the world. In the US, it is privatized and its costs are inflated due to endemic corruption and regulatory capture by special interests.
DiabloWags
Cal88 said:

DiabloWags said:

Nothing is FREE.

Basic healthcare is free in nearly every industrialized country around the world. In the US, it is privatized and its costs are inflated due to endemic corruption and regulatory capture by special interests.

It's not FREE in other countries.
The Govt makes up for the FREE part by TAXING EVERYONE UP THE ASS!

PS. In California, healthcare is FREE for anyone that makes less than $16,000 a year.
Those with family incomes up to 138% of the federal poverty level.
It's called Medi-Cal.

In 2022, over 15 million people were enrolled in Medi-Cal.
About 40% of CA's population.

How do you think that Sacramento pays for that?

Please stop being so naive.

sycasey
DiabloWags said:

Cal88 said:

DiabloWags said:

Nothing is FREE.

It's not FREE in other countries.
The Govt makes up for the FREE part by TAXING EVERYONE UP THE ASS!

PS. In California, healthcare is FREE for anyone that makes less than $16,000 a year.
Those with family incomes up to 138% of the federal poverty level.
It's called Medi-Cal.

In 2022, over 15 million people were enrolled in Medi-Cal.
About 40% of CA's population.

How do you think that Sacramento pays for that?

Please stop being so naive.

Correct, in every other wealthy country the government guarantees and subsidizes basic levels of coverage well above what we have in the US. I think the US should be doing this too and would be very much willing to pay taxes for that.
DiabloWags
sycasey said:

Correct, in every other wealthy country the government guarantees and subsidizes basic levels of coverage well above what we have in the US. I think the US should be doing this too and would be very much willing to pay taxes for that.

Well above?

I wouldn't be so quick to be making a "qualitative" claim about how great their healthcare is.
Sadly, the preventative care seen in those "other" countries is garbage.

In the UK, they hand out cheapie $20 FIT tests for colon cancer screening that do nothing but detect blood in stool. By the time you have blood in your stool, you're already in Stage 3. Never mind that the annual compliance rate for this test is extremely poor. Never mind that colon cancer is the #2 cancer killer of Americans above the age of 60.

Here in the United States we have access to cutting-edge medical diagnostics like Cologuard that actually detect a change in your DNA from colon cancer and knocks the ball out of the park when it comes to life years saved. And it's paid for by commercial insurance with no co-pay.

Want to get a colonoscopy in Canada?

You have to schedule one year ahead of time.
By then (if youre positive for CRC) it's most likely spread by not one, but two stages.

Back to the OLYMPICS.

sycasey
DiabloWags said:

sycasey said:

Sadly, the preventative care seen in those "other" countries is garbage given the cost structure.

In the UK, they hand out cheapie $20 FIT tests for colon cancer screening that do nothing but detect blood in stool. By the time you have blood in your stool, you're already in Stage 3. Never mind that the annual compliance rate for this test is extremely poor. Never mind that colon cancer is the #2 cancer killer of Americans above the age of 60.

Here in the United States we have access to cutting-edge medical diagnostics like Cologuard that actually detect a change in your DNA from colon cancer and is paid for by commercial insurance with no co-pay.

Want to get a colonoscopy in Canada?

You have to schedule one year ahead of time.

Back to the OLYMPICS.

And yet despite these issues, they still get better overall health outcomes than us.

Health care in the US is great if you have the money or good insurance. Problem is a lot of people don't.
DiabloWags
sycasey said:

And yet despite these issues, they still get better overall health outcomes than us.

Health care in the US is great if you have the money or good insurance. Problem is a lot of people don't.

The Affordable Care Act guarantees a ton of preventative services that (unlike those other countries) use cutting edge diagnostics. I wouldn't be so quick to be so categorically dismissive of our healthcare system.

Preventive care benefits for adults | HealthCare.gov
DiabloWags
BACK TO THE OLYMPICS . . .

ALL WORLD MAGGIE STEFFENS (DANVILLE) ON THE RIGHT IN THIS PHOTO.

HER DAD CARLOS PLAYED AT CAL FOR COACH CUTINO AND WON A CHAMPIONSHIP IN 1977.
LOST TO FURD FOR A TITLE IN 1978 IN TRIPLE OVERTIME.
SON CHARLIE PLAYED FOR CAL.

WE LOST TO AUSTRALIA IN THE SEMIS IN A PENALTY SHOOTOUT.

14 - 13

NOW PLAYING FOR BRONZE.

READ THE LA TIMES ARTICLE BELOW ABOUT REAL TRAGEDY.

U.S. women's water polo team beset by tragedies keeps rare Olympic loss in perspective - Yahoo Sports
sycasey
DiabloWags said:

sycasey said:

The Affordable Care Act guarantees a ton of preventative services that (unlike those other countries) use cutting edge diagnostics. I wouldn't be so quick to be so categorically dismissive of our healthcare system.

Preventive care benefits for adults | HealthCare.gov
ACA certainly made things better. We're getting there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.