The Official 2024 Paris Olympics Thread

25,154 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by AunBear89
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

dimitrig said:

oski003 said:

Added the word unfair. Fyi, an 8 ft tall 1200 pound Hulk sounds dangerous (and also unfair).

I think it would be dangerous and unfair to have her compete against men. Don't you? She doesn't have the same testosterone or strength as a man and likely has female sexual characteristics. She may even be on female HRT.

I mean you can just exclude people like her from competing at all but that's not really cool. She looks like a woman and competes on a level playing field with women. What exactly is the problem?

As you touched upon above, she doesn't have to compete against men. It is her choice. She doesn't appear to compete on an even playing field with women. She is one of the world's top "female" boxers and has lost 5 official matches ever, to go along with 50+ victories. She just had an opponent quit her match because she punched too hard.
Her record on Wikipedia shows 43 wins and 9 losses. Where did you get your numbers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imane_Khelif

I'm no expert on boxing, but at a glance that seems like a pretty normal record for a boxer who can qualify for the Olympics.

Which puts her in the top of the entire world and competing in the Olympics. As a matter of fact, she just made it to the semifinals. If she wins tomorrow, she goes to the gold medal match. She played soccer growing up and then switched to boxing. Perhaps she now has enough skill and technique to win gold.
Sure, obviously she's a top boxer in her class. That's why she's in the Olympics. I'm just saying that citing her record doesn't automatically prove she's on an uneven playing field. Other female boxers (presumably with XX chromosomes) have compiled similar records and are also at the Olympics. You need to make a different argument to prove Khelif doesn't belong.

She has xy chromosomes and a boxer just quit instead of continuing to fight her saying she was being punched harder than she has ever been hit when professionally boxing.

The Y chromosome is present in males, who have one X and one Y chromosome, while females have two X chromosomes.
sycasey
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

dimitrig said:

oski003 said:

Added the word unfair. Fyi, an 8 ft tall 1200 pound Hulk sounds dangerous (and also unfair).

I think it would be dangerous and unfair to have her compete against men. Don't you? She doesn't have the same testosterone or strength as a man and likely has female sexual characteristics. She may even be on female HRT.

I mean you can just exclude people like her from competing at all but that's not really cool. She looks like a woman and competes on a level playing field with women. What exactly is the problem?

As you touched upon above, she doesn't have to compete against men. It is her choice. She doesn't appear to compete on an even playing field with women. She is one of the world's top "female" boxers and has lost 5 official matches ever, to go along with 50+ victories. She just had an opponent quit her match because she punched too hard.
Her record on Wikipedia shows 43 wins and 9 losses. Where did you get your numbers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imane_Khelif

I'm no expert on boxing, but at a glance that seems like a pretty normal record for a boxer who can qualify for the Olympics.

Which puts her in the top of the entire world and competing in the Olympics. As a matter of fact, she just made it to the semifinals. If she wins tomorrow, she goes to the gold medal match. She played soccer growing up and then switched to boxing. Perhaps she now has enough skill and technique to win gold.
Sure, obviously she's a top boxer in her class. That's why she's in the Olympics. I'm just saying that citing her record doesn't automatically prove she's on an uneven playing field. Other female boxers (presumably with XX chromosomes) have compiled similar records and are also at the Olympics. You need to make a different argument to prove Khelif doesn't belong.

She has xy chromosomes and a boxer just quit instead of continuing to fight her saying she was being punched harder than she has ever been hit when professionally boxing.
As anecdotal evidence, I don't take "boxer complained of being punched too hard" as particularly compelling.

The XY chromosome piece is interesting, and I don't know how much the scientific literature has to say about it. It strikes me as something that hasn't been studied much and probably needs to be studied more, w/r/t athletics.
bearister
In her prime, Cris Cyborg takes them all DOWNTOWN!

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oski003
bearister said:

In her prime, Cris Cyborg takes them all DOWNTOWN!

Steroids aren't legal.
DiabloWags
dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Cal88 said:

DiabloWags said:

Men's 100m Final field set.
All 3 Americans are in.

Kerley, Bednarek, Lyles.

Jamaicans Thompson and Seville look fast. 9.80 and 9.81

12: 50 PM PST

Looks like Seville will take the gold in 9.70 range.

Looks like Seville finished last.

About as accurate as his other takes

I was gonna say the same exact thing.

He picked Seville and Seville probably wound up running his worst race of the season at the wrong time.

BUT . . . I chose to cut Cal88 some slack because he is a GENUINE AVID FAN of THE OLYMPICS as opposed to some of the other certified losers here who do nothing but inject their "politics" into one of the greatest international sporting events in the history of mankind.

They can't enjoy a pure international athletics competition for the sake of an athletics competition.
Their flawed human beings that have no joy in their life and see politics in everything.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
DiabloWags
oski003 said:

Folks get too emotional and forget to use logic. One person cries about his off topic Olympic post when folks discuss controversial issues at the Olympics even though there is an entire Olympic sports board while some folks cry because being critical of the transgender movement is mean. It is ridiculous.

You're a moron.
There is literally no material discussion of the Olympics on the Olympic Sports Board of Bearinsider.
Are you always this stupid and argumentative?

All this from the clown that appears to be a "stable genius" when it comes to XY athletes, but who has never once mentioned the name of 2-time Olympic 800m Champion, Caster Semenya who was assigned female at birth, but is intersexed.

Caster Semenya - Wikipedia
oski003
DiabloWags said:

oski003 said:

Folks get too emotional and forget to use logic. One person cries about his off topic Olympic post when folks discuss controversial issues at the Olympics even though there is an entire Olympic sports board while some folks cry because being critical of the transgender movement is mean. It is ridiculous.

You're a moron.
I bet your parents are very proud of you.

All this from the clown that appears to be a "stable genius" when it comes to XY athletes, but who has never once mentioned the name of 2-time Olympic 800m Champion, Caster Semenya who was assigned female at birth, but is intersexed.

Are you asking my opinion on caster semenya, lord wags? If so, she shouldn't have been allowed to compete either. My parents are proud. Thanks.
Cal88
Generational talent, right up there with Sergey Bubka and Thierry Vigneron, he set his first world record 4 years ago at 20, and will probably keep raising the bar after having broken his own record today.

Duplantis is actually from Louisiana, recent LSU grad, his mother is Swedish and like his father competed in T&F at LSU. He chose to compete for Sweden because they let his parents coach him.

DiabloWags
Wednesday Workout with Mondo Duplantis in HIGH SCHOOL.
Under the watchful eyes of father Greg who was a 19 foot vaulter back in the early 90's.

This is the 10-step workout.

Gotta love that Louisiana "twang"

DiabloWags
Mondo = "World" in Italian

Also the name of a commercial all-weather track and field surface company.

DiabloWags
Only 24 and on TOP OF THE WORLD.

oski003
0-0 US W Soccer vs Germany.

Germany has had better scoring chances so far. 34 minutes in.
Cal88
DiabloWags said:

oski003 said:

You're a moron.
There is literally no material discussion of the Olympics on the Olympic Sports Board of Bearinsider.
Are you always this stupid and argumentative?

From Semenya's wiki page:

"Semenya has said that she was born with a vagina and internal undescended testes, but that she has no uterus or fallopian tubes and does not menstruate. Her internal testes produce natural testosterone levels in the typical male range."

Semenya actually fathered a child with his/her wife
https://www.ecr.co.za/news/entertainment/caster-semenyas-wife-reflects-road-conceiving-miracle-daughter

If Khelif's case is a similar intersex condition (testes and no uterus), then I would tend to agree with the IBA's decision.
Cal88
oski003 said:

0-0 US W Soccer vs Germany.

Germany has had better scoring chances so far. 34 minutes in.

1-0 USA with a goal from Smith on a defensive mistake with about 20min to play in extra time. In the other semifinal, Spain plays Brazil.

Edit USA win and advance to the final, vs Brazil, who upset Spain.
bearister
DiabloWags said:

Only 24 and on TOP OF THE WORLD.

DiabloWags
20 Feet 6 Inches = 6.25m

3rd and final attempt.

WR

bearister
1500m. WOW!

bear2034
oski003
bear2034 said:

The two boxers with Male XY genes but identify as female are the two boxers in the female Olympic final? Really?

sycasey
oski003 said:

bear2034 said:

The two boxers with Male XY genes but identify as female are the two boxers in the female Olympic final? Really?

They are in different weight classes, so no.
oski003
sycasey said:

oski003 said:

bear2034 said:

They are in different weight classes, so no.

That's what I thought. Thanks . Still hard to imagine two blue lobsters (1 out of every 2 million) being this amazingly good at boxing without having an unfair advantage...
dimitrig
oski003 said:

bear2034 said:

No.

They are in different weight classes.

Imane Khalif will be in the final for welterweight and I think Lin Yu-TIng still has one more bout before reaching the final for featherweight.

Cal88
^The other boxer is in the semifinals in her weight category.

Camryn, Cal '22, wins gold

dimitrig
Cal88 said:

Has anyone tested her chromosomes?

sycasey
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

I believe in the track & field events there has been some kind of testing. Not sure if it's that specifically.
DiabloWags
dimitrig said:

Another moron on Bearinsider.

The same clown that once said that Sacramento was known to be part of the San Francisco Bay Area.

AunBear89
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Fauxoutragetroll003 is on his way with a couple of test tubes.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
oski003
AunBear89 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Fauxoutragetroll003 is on his way with a couple of test tubes.

Why would I personally go test them?
bearister
The best 400m time run by Lee Evans (San Jose State Speed City member along with Tommie Smith and John Carlos) was 43.86 in 1968.

The current world record in the 400m is 43.03. With the advances in shoes, track surfaces, training methods, nutrition, and athletes getting faster and stronger, wouldn't you think in the course of 56 years that a full second could have been chopped off Lee Evans time?

Spartan Gold Standard: Remembering Lee Evans (1947-2021) | SJSU NewsCenter

https://blogs.sjsu.edu/newsroom/2021/spartan-gold-standard-remembering-lee-evans-1947-2021/
Cal88
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Mama bear genes.
sonofabear51
Yes, that 1500 race was one for the ages. Not quite Dave Wottle come from behind, but great enough and a huge surprise. Found myself yelling out loud. As a former long distance runner for 42 years, many marathons and a couple ultras, I get it. Hocker and Nuguse, WAY TO GO!!
Start Slowly and taper off
Big C
sonofabear51 said:

Yes, that 1500 race was one for the ages. Not quite Dave Wottle come from behind, but great enough and a huge surprise. Found myself yelling out loud. As a former long distance runner for 42 years, many marathons and a couple ultras, I get it. Hocker and Nuguse, WAY TO GO!!

That was a great race! I kinda wish I hadn't already known the result before I watched it...

LOL how NBC had given all that attention to the Norwegian pretty boy -- for days now -- and then he didn't even medal. Gold and bronze for the USA!

Seems like we're having an especially good Olympics in track & field!
bearister

"Historic five-peat: Cuban super heavyweight wrestler Mijan Lopez became the first Olympian to win gold in the same individual event five times. The 41-year-old retired after the match, leaving his shoes on the mat in one last act as a champion."

"Best 1500m ever? Cole Hocker out-sprinted the favorites down the stretch to set an Olympic record (3:27.65) and become just the fourth American man ever to win 1500m gold.*Great Britain's Josh Kerr took silver and American Yared Nuguse took bronze."
YahooSportsAM

*The other 3:
1904 St. Louis Olympics: Jim Lightbody.
1908 London Olympics: Mel Sheppard.
2016 Rio de Janeiro Matthew Centrowitz Jr.
bearister
400m Men's Final

Cal88
^Nice finish!

Meanwhile

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.