The Official 2024 Paris Olympics Thread

25,149 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by AunBear89
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal88 said:

AunBear89 said:

Two of the main actors in that scene, including "Barbara Butch", the fat lady in the role of Jesus Christ and the bearded "lady" who did most of the strutting actually confirmed they were mimicking the Last Supper. Here is a tweet from the former:

and an interview of the latter:

As well one of the main choreographers also confirmed they spoofed the Last Supper.

It doesn't matter. Their personal views don't change what it was.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
oski003
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

AunBear89 said:

Two of the main actors in that scene, including "Barbara Butch", the fat lady in the role of Jesus Christ and the bearded "lady" who did most of the strutting actually confirmed they were mimicking the Last Supper. Here is a tweet from the former:

As well one of the main choreographers also confirmed they spoofed the Last Supper.

This is solid gold. Dajo gold.
movielover
Karel: "You want to be treated like everyone else, act like everyone else."
sp4149
dajo9 said:

You don't understand. Christians own ALL depictions of people at a table. Denying them that is oppression.
Part of the problem is the term "Christian"

American Christianity began in about 1830 with the creation of the Southern Baptist religion. The Mormons also started about the same time but they are considered a cult, not a religion by Baptists. Older European Christian religions , pre 1830, do not fit in the modern definition of American Christianity. The MAGA Senator living in Florida has proclaimed that the asylum seekers at the Southern Border do not believe in GOD. I suspect he truly believes his statement because most are probably Catholic.; thus not American Christian. Baptists can make their definition of "Christian" highly selective compared to Old World religions. Trump may profess to love Christians, but I suspect it; is is really only some Christians. And his Christians may be starting to panic over the election and striking out over any perceived insult.
dimitrig
bearister said:

Surprised 7 countries have more golds than the US

Cal88
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

AunBear89 said:

Eastern Oregon Bear
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Surprised 7 countries have more golds than the US.
Time clocks are biased against those war mongering Americans.
bearister
They were going to spoof a sacred event in the history of Islam or Judaism but then they huddled up and unanimously decided that they were all addicted to breathing so they pivoted to the Christianity parody.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
movielover
Cal88
movielover said:

I guess this is what you are referring to here:
concordtom
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Surprised 7 countries have more golds than the US

Wait until track and field.
dajo9
Cal88 said:

movielover said:

Imane Khelif was assigned female at birth, has identified as female her whole life and is competing as a woman. Transgender treatment is illegal in Algeria.
movielover
Do you support Governor Newsom's move to allow schools to hide the "gender re-assignment" of teenage children from their parents?
oski003
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

movielover said:

It's really a shame the Olympics allowed Khelif to box in the woman's group. The issue of trans rights is so much bigger than athletic competitions but nothing does more to hurt the cause of trans rights than allowing these kinds of things to happen. The right pounces on these issues of athletics and gains support for all kinds of anti-trans rhetoric and beliefs. My friends on the left need to get realistic about the limits of transgender people being involved in athletic competitions. Then we can move onto the more important matters in the transgender community.

This hurt especially since you stated so equivocally recently that biological male athletes competing in women's sports was a made up non-issue that Republicans dwelled on unnecessarily, am I right? Or are you going to do the Dajo gold stupid double down and again say that this isn't really actually happening?
dajo9
oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

movielover said:

It's really a shame the Olympics allowed Khelif to box in the woman's group. The issue of trans rights is so much bigger than athletic competitions but nothing does more to hurt the cause of trans rights than allowing these kinds of things to happen. The right pounces on these issues of athletics and gains support for all kinds of anti-trans rhetoric and beliefs. My friends on the left need to get realistic about the limits of transgender people being involved in athletic competitions. Then we can move onto the more important matters in the transgender community.

This hurt especially since you stated so equivocally recently that biological male athletes competing in women's sports was a made up non-issue that Republicans dwelled on unnecessarily, am I right? Or are you going to do the Dajo gold stupid double down and again say that this isn't really actually happening?

Provide a link
oski003
dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

movielover said:

Provide a link

The search function doesn't go back far at all and the results are often tough to sift through as they list the topic and not the key sentence itself. I am fairly certain you have minimized and mocked those protesting here about men playing women's sports many times not too long ago, calling it a made up issue that doesn't really happen.
dajo9
oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

movielover said:

Provide a link

The search function doesn't go back far at all and the results are often tough to sift through as they list the topic and not the key sentence itself. I am fairly certain you have minimized and mocked those protesting here about men playing women's sports many times not too long ago, calling it a made up issue that doesn't really happen.

Oh OK. Thanks for your imaginary feedback. I have always said the trans issue is bigger than athletics and we should focus on the bigger issues. I never said it was a made up issue. The right uses it as a cudgel to gain support on the broader issues.
bearister
The issue of discrimination against trans athletes in sports can be removed from the equation by having no restriction on trans men or trans women competing against biological men.

Heavily restricting trans women competing against biological women is a fairness issue. Good luck to any attorney that can carve out a sub category discrimination claim that only applies to trans women but not the trans community as a whole.

If the absurdity of trans women competing against biological women wasn't underscored in track, weightlifting and swimming, it most certainly is in boxing (where it is actually dangerous).

*It will be hysterical, however, if a biological woman with elite fighting skills turns the lights out on the Olympian in question with a lighting fast cross, uppercut or jab.
bear2034
bearister
That is the first time Far Right humor made me laugh. I would have upvoted you but it was like my phone screen had a reverse magnet repelling my finger from doing so.
Big C

Last night, I turned on the prime time telecast ('cause I'm old school), hoping the gymnastics was over and we could move on. Not only was it still going on, then they went to synchronized diving. Was able to fulfill my lifelong dream (not really) of watching two North Korean chicks doing synchronized diving.

Reminded of the "new" adjective-of-the-month, weird, I had to turn it off

I had been looking forward to track & field, but now I'm getting a little nervous that it will be "synchronized track & field", where two pole vaulters will vault next to each other as one entry, medals awarded based on synchronization.
Cal88
Looking forward to the 5K wife-carrying event, course is set through the Chanps-Elysees.

dajo9
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

movielover said:

I have to edit this comment as I have read more about this situation. I should have known better than to take a Cal88 post at face value.

Imane Khelif was born and assigned female at birth. She is not transgender, which is illegal in Algeria. This situation has nothing to do with the issue of being transgender. It seems like a very complicated situation and I feel badly that Khelif is going through all this. How do you define a woman?
Cal88
dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

movielover said:

I have to edit this comment as I have read more about this situation. I should have known better than to take a Cal88 post at face value.

Imane Khelif was born and assigned female at birth. She is not transgender, which is illegal in Algeria. This situation has nothing to do with the issue of being transgender. It seems like a very complicated situation and I feel badly that Khelif is going through all this. How do you define a woman?

Imane Khelif was disqualified by the International Boxing Association from an international boxing tournament last year for having XY chromozones and elevated levels of testosterone.

She's most likely not trans, there are pictures of her as a little girl where she does look like, well, a little girl, but she presents a rare case of intersex where she has male genetic characteristics and unusually high levels of testosterone.

You have to feel bad for Khelif as her condition is probably natural and not boosted/juiced, but this being said, is it fair to her opponents? The IBA said no, while the IOC said yes. I tend to agree with the former, but this being said, the memes and outrages are a bit uncalled for given Khelif's seems like a case of an honest woman who did not cheat to get there.

Grey zone.

dajo9
Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

movielover said:

Imane Khelif was disqualified by the International Boxing Association from an international boxing tournament last year for having XY chromozones and elevated levels of testosterone.

She's most likely not trans, there are pictures of her as a little girl where she does look like, well, a little girl, but she presents a rare case of intersex where she has male genetic characteristics and unusually high levels of testosterone.

You have to feel bad for Khelif as her condition is probably natural and not boosted/juiced, but this being said, is it fair to her opponents? The IBA said no, while the IOC said yes. I tend to agree with the former, but this being said, the memes and outrages are a bit uncalled for given Khelif's seems like a case of an honest woman who did not cheat to get there.

Grey zone.

How do you define a woman?
bearister
dajo9 said:

In the 1960's and 1970's my final answer: Barbara Bouchet

If lovin' her is wrong, Big C don't wannabe right.
*80 years old now(My Cougar zone ….…..and they think I'm hot)
dajo9
Cal88, like Ketanji Brown Jackson, won't answer the question
bearister
Well, at least I have the common decency to come up with theme music for this trans woman boxing discussion:

dajo9
I watched Kelly's Heroes for the first time last week. Funny movie. Oh, that Oddball.
Cal88
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

Grey zone.

Answer from Wikipedia circa 2000s -

"women are of the female sex and inherit a pair of X chromosomes, one from each parent, and fertile women are capable of pregnancy and giving birth from puberty until menopause. More generally, sex differentiation of the female fetus is governed by the lack of a present, or functioning, SRY gene on either one of the respective sex chromosomes.

Female anatomy is distinguished from male anatomy by the female reproductive system, which includes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, and vulva. An adult woman generally has a wider pelvis, broader hips, and larger breasts than an adult man. These characteristics facilitate childbirth and breastfeeding. Women typically have less facial and other body hair, have a higher body fat composition, and are on average shorter and less muscular than men."
dajo9
Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

Grey zone.

"women are of the female sex and inherit a pair of X chromosomes, one from each parent, and fertile women are capable of pregnancy and giving birth from puberty until menopause. More generally, sex differentiation of the female fetus is governed by the lack of a present, or functioning, SRY gene on either one of the respective sex chromosomes.

Female anatomy is distinguished from male anatomy by the female reproductive system, which includes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, and vulva. An adult woman generally has a wider pelvis, broader hips, and larger breasts than an adult man. These characteristics facilitate childbirth and breastfeeding. Women typically have less facial and other body hair, have a higher body fat composition, and are on average shorter and less muscular than men."

You are arguing there are more than 2 genders. What is the definition of the 3rd gender?

Also, you are saying we cant know gender until we subject everybody to a lab test. Or do we only subject the people you think look different?
Cal88
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

Grey zone.

You are arguing there are more than 2 genders. What is the definition of the 3rd gender?

Also, you are saying we cant know gender until we subject everybody to a lab test. Or do we only subject the people you think look different?

The 2 genders cover over 99% of natural cases.

The current discourse of gender dysphoria is about using these highly unusual outlier cases to overturn long-standing rational norms and push a year zero agenda that is negatively affecting and destabilizing young people.

dimitrig
Cal88 said:

movielover said:

She was forced to box or she chose to box?

Let's be real about it. No one forced her.

bearister
dajo9 said:

I watched Kelly's Heroes for the first time last week. Funny movie. Oh, that Oddball.

Yes, casting Sutherland as a 1969/1970 style hippie in a movie set in 1944 was Oddball indeed.

His character once inspired me to research who the first hippies were. I'm convinced it was this guy and his posse in 1940's LA:

eden ahbez - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_ahbez

eden wrote a hit song for Nat King Cole in 1948 called Nature Boy that became a Jazz standard and George Benson had a hit cover of it in the 1970's.

Here is eden with his posse in the LA hills in the 40's:

Brian Wilson with eden in 1967:

oski003
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

movielover said:

She was forced to box or she chose to box?

Let's be real about it. No one forced her.

She could always quit her lifelong dream instead. So, yes, nobody actually forced her

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.