The Official 2024 Paris Olympics Thread

25,169 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by AunBear89
bear2034
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9 said:

It's really weird that we have a pro Trump, pro French monarchy, Russian propagandist on our board
You're obviously confused and Kamala Harris is weird.
Big C
GoOskie said:

Big C said:

oski003 said:

GoOskie said:

Cal88 said:

Sponsor pulls out from Olympics over opening ceremony:

Genuinely curious. I didn't watch the opening ceremonies, but who's last supper did they mock? Hannibal Lector's? I'm just asking.

You can genuinely use Google and find out in two seconds.

I bet the reason you're quick to find fault with that poster is because you can't stand those "Oski-with-an-e"s, right?

I'm the same way when somebody spells my name Gavin Newsome. I'm like, "Add an 'e' onto this, b****!"
The "e" in Oskie is for electronic. I'm the super duper enhanced Oski.

Oh, I had thought the "e" was for "excellent"...
AunBear89
bear2034 said:

AunBear89 said:

I go around mocking all religious groups. I don't discriminate: you all believe in fairy tales.
You don't mock Islam. Prove us wrong.

I will as soon as one of you tells me something happened because Allah made it so.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
The Catholic Church has always been an easy mark. The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence are a knee slapper. In auditions, mocking Rabbis and Imams didn't test so well.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
She has a spouse that loves her, something tRump has yet to experience.
bear2034
bearister said:

She has a spouse that loves her, something tRump has yet to experience.

Oh?
bearister
I apologize for crawling out of the toxic goo and posting back on topic:

"Athlete spotlight: Chase Budinger made over $18 million during a seven-year career in the NBA. But the former basketball star has long since traded in his sneakers for the feel of sand on his bare feet, and today makes his Olympics debut in beach volleyball.

Two-sport athlete: Budinger was a high school basketball and volleyball superstar in Southern California, winning co-MVP of the 2006 McDonald's All-American game alongside Kevin Durant while also being named Volleyball Magazine's National Player of the Year.

He considered dual-sport scholarships but chose to focus on basketball at Arizona, where he averaged 17 points in three seasons before heading to the NBA as a 2009 second-rounder.

In 2017, the 6-foot-7 forward with incredible leaping ability (he was in the 2012 Slam Dunk Contest) retired from basketball to give volleyball another shot, and in 2018 he was named rookie of the year in the AVP (Association of Volleyball Professionals).

What he's saying: "I miss basketball," Budinger told three-time beach volleyball gold medalist Kerri Walsh-Jennings in an interview with Yahoo Sports. "I mean, it was such a big part of my life for so long. But I've kinda put that part of my life away and started this new chapter."

-YahooSportsAM

42" vertical leap:

Big C

Regarding tonight's prime time broadcast (and to use the latest "in" adjective):

Gymnastics is kind of weird... and so are gymnasts.

The Olympics, for me, is at least 83% about track & field. The rest is mostly fluff for TV.
concordtom
Big C said:

The Olympics, for me, is at least 83% about track & field. The rest is mostly fluff for TV.

I'm watching men's basketball and men's & women's soccer.
Track and field will get my attention when it begins.
concordtom
I was backpacking Europe in 92 and passed through Barcelona for a couple days on about $100. I hitchhiked from Lyon. With my money I got 3 tickets:
Men's soccer Ausie vs Mexico, nobody there.
USA women volleyball vs Japan. They won.
And I wanted to see a medal ceremony, so some weightlifting event. I started a conversation with some different weight class guy from somewhere like Finland or Estonia - he explained it to me, otherwise no idea what was happening other than different guys stepping up and attempting.

I must say, it was cool to see the winners come and stand on the podium and the Bulgarian anthem play.

Apples, cheese, bread, water. They all keep well when traveling.
Cal88
Rugby 7s women - New Zealand beat the US in the semis, Canada upset Australia in the other SF. NZ will be heavily favored in the final later today, as will Oz in the bronze medal game.
concordtom
While you're waiting for your favorite match to begin:

concordtom
bearister said:

"Athlete spotlight: Chase Budinger made over $18 million during a seven-year career in the NBA. But the former basketball star has long since traded in his sneakers for the feel of sand on his bare feet, and today makes his Olympics debut in beach volleyball.

Former NBA player Chase Budinger started his 2024 Olympics off in style, winning his opening beach volleyball match in Pool F with partner Miles Evans on Monday.

The duo beat the French team of Arnaud Gauthier-Rat and Youssef Krou in two sets by a score of 21-14, 21-11.
bearister
"594 Americans arrived in Paris this summer, the most of any country, and 340 of them (57%) are first-time Olympians.

The Golden State: More than 1 in 5 Team USA athletes hail from California (122), which has nearly three times as many athletes as runner-up Florida (43).

Six other states have at least 20 representatives: Texas (41), Colorado (27), Illinois (27), Pennsylvania (27), New York (23) and New Jersey (21).

Only four states, plus Washington D.C., do not have a single representative: Maine, North Dakota, West Virginia and Wyoming."
-YahooSportsAM
movielover
concordtom said:

While you're waiting for your favorite match to begin:

Telling.
Cal88
Cal88 said:

Rugby 7s women - New Zealand beat the US in the semis, Canada upset Australia in the other SF. NZ will be heavily favored in the final later today, as will Oz in the bronze medal game.

US upsets Oz with last minute 80m run try! Hard-earned bronze medal!

NZ narrowly defeated Canada for the gold earlier, in another good game.
Cal88
US Men's soccer clinches knockout stage spot after beating Guinea 3-0 last weekend, faces Morocco in the QF, with Spain looming ahead in the SF.
Big C

I can hardly wait for gymnastics to be over. That said, the Clark Kent story was pretty cool. Personally, I've never met a person who specializes in pommel horse (of all things... pommel horse,,, weird), but I'm glad we had one this time around!
concordtom
Cal88 said:

Cal88 said:

I think I feel worse for Australia than happy for USA, because that's a horribly heart wrenching way to lose a medal.
Cal88
concordtom said:

Cal88 said:

Cal88 said:

I think I feel worse for Australia than happy for USA, because that's a horribly heart wrenching way to lose a medal.

I think they were already gutted to have been upset in the semis by the Canadians going in. In any case, 7s rugby is a very short game (2 x 7min halves) in order to be able to reduce recovery time and schedule several games in a short period so upsets do happen.

The triathlon into the Seine river just went through today, I wonder how many participants will come down with serious cases of gastro...
Cal88
Food shortages at the olympic village...

bearister
movielover
Let them eat cake... or tofu... or snail.
sp4149
movielover said:

WHO designed the Satanic and anti-Vhritian themes, and WHO approved it?

Why didn't they knock Mohammed?
Remember there are more Muslims in Paris than Baptists.

anti-Vhritian Googles as anti-Christian, does it need to be in Code?

The minor theme that many have singled out was a last supper depiction involving cross dressers;
not even 1% of the ceremony. I find it highly amusing that many of the condemnations have come
from Louisiana. FWIW the depictions were mild by New Orleans standards Where even normal citizens
wear bizarre costumes for several weeks each winter.

France presented a measured depiction of their history, including the guillotine/revolution. At least France
does not deny the horrific episodes of their history unlike the anti-woke politicians/evangelicals who deny
slavery or genocide of native people.

There has to a better word than ironic to describe the offended by the Paris ceremony who happen to
support a sex offender, tax cheat, fraudster draft dodger pedophile, prevaricator of the first order,
who is offended by the presence of disfigured, handicapped veterans of service to our country.
Some would argue that such fealty is a greater disgrace.
bear2034
If the organizers depicted drag queens with an Islamic religious backdrop, that would have been a riot, wouldn't it? As long as it's measured and considered mild by New Orleans standards?
Cal88
sp4149 said:

movielover said:

The minor theme that many have singled out was a last supper depiction involving cross dressers; not even 1% of the ceremony. I find it highly amusing that many of the condemnations have come from Louisiana. FWIW the depictions were mild by New Orleans standards Where even normal citizens wear bizarre costumes for several weeks each winter.

France presented a measured depiction of their history, including the guillotine/revolution. At least France does not deny the horrific episodes of their history unlike the anti-woke politicians/evangelicals who deny slavery or genocide of native people.

There has to a better word than ironic to describe the offended by the Paris ceremony who happen to support a sex offender, tax cheat, fraudster draft dodger pedophile, prevaricator of the first order, who is offended by the presence of disfigured, handicapped veterans of service to our country. Some would argue that such fealty is a greater disgrace.

The Last Supper spoof is more than a fleeting moment in the ceremony, it was a sort of end of the event evening climax.

You're also wrong about the depiction of the French Revolution, the episode at the Conciergerie castle with a decapitated Marie-Antoinette singing "Ah ca ira" through her severed head was a gruesome celebratory scene that glorified her assassination and the bloodletting. It's as if in the US you had a rail-thin Cherokee singing the Star-Spangled Banner with a death metal band playing in the background to commemorate the Trail of Tears. It was at once highly disrespectful, gruesome and bizarre.
dajo9
Cal88 said:

sp4149 said:

movielover said:

The minor theme that many have singled out was a last supper depiction involving cross dressers; not even 1% of the ceremony. I find it highly amusing that many of the condemnations have come from Louisiana. FWIW the depictions were mild by New Orleans standards Where even normal citizens wear bizarre costumes for several weeks each winter.

France presented a measured depiction of their history, including the guillotine/revolution. At least France does not deny the horrific episodes of their history unlike the anti-woke politicians/evangelicals who deny slavery or genocide of native people.

There has to a better word than ironic to describe the offended by the Paris ceremony who happen to support a sex offender, tax cheat, fraudster draft dodger pedophile, prevaricator of the first order, who is offended by the presence of disfigured, handicapped veterans of service to our country. Some would argue that such fealty is a greater disgrace.

The Last Supper spoof is more than a fleeting moment in the ceremony, it was a sort of end of the event evening climax.

You're also wrong about the depiction of the French Revolution, the episode at the Conciergerie castle with a decapitated Marie-Antoinette singing "Ah ca ira" through her severed head was a gruesome celebratory scene that glorified her assassination and the bloodletting. It's as if in the US you had a rail-thin Cherokee singing the Star-Spangled Banner with a death metal band playing in the background to commemorate the Trail of Tears. It was at once highly disrespectful, gruesome and bizarre.

This dude is on here equating the plight of Cherokee Indians under American oppression with the Queen of France being executed after accusations of treason and looting the treasury. We are dealing with a truly weird group of people here.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
AunBear89
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
dajo9
AunBear89 said:

You don't understand. Christians own ALL depictions of people at a table. Denying them that is oppression.
Cal88
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

sp4149 said:

movielover said:

This dude is on here equating the plight of Cherokee Indians under American oppression with the Queen of France being executed after accusations of treason and looting the treasury. We are dealing with a truly weird group of people here.

You have next to zero understanding of French history, so as usual for you, you are making a completely ignorant statement.

In 1793 close to a quarter million innocent civilians were massacred under the Terreur revolutionary regime, including the queen and her 8 year old son who died under horrible conditions, tormented by his captors and left to rot to death in a medieval dungeon cage. The image of Marie-antoinette as a callous, treasonous figure was largely fabricated, as is the famous "let them eat cake" quote that was wrongly misattributed to her.

https://undpress.nd.edu/9780268028657/a-french-genocide
oski003
dajo9 said:

AunBear89 said:

You don't understand. Christians own ALL depictions of people at a table. Denying them that is oppression.

This wins the day as the stupidest take. Wow. As if this was just random crossdressers sitting at a table not purposely depicted the Last Supper.

Wow, just wow. Omg. Wow.
dajo9
Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

sp4149 said:

movielover said:

You have next to zero understanding of French history, so as usual for you, you are making a completely ignorant statement.

In 1793 close to a quarter million innocent civilians were massacred under the Terreur revolutionary regime, including the queen and her 8 year old son who died under horrible conditions, tormented by his captors and left to rot to death in a medieval dungeon cage. The image of Marie-antoinette as a callous, treasonous figure was largely fabricated, as is the famous "let them eat cake" quote that was wrongly misattributed to her.

https://undpress.nd.edu/9780268028657/a-french-genocide

The opening ceremony didn't depict common victims of the revolution and you weren't talking about common victims of the revolution. Your words and the opening ceremony were about Marie Antoinette. Here you are trying to hide her execution behind the Trail of Tears saga. You guys are gross.
dajo9
oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

AunBear89 said:

This wins the day as the stupidest take. Wow. As if this was just random crossdressers sitting at a table not purposely depicted the Last Supper.

Wow, just wow. Omg. Wow.

Sometimes Americans are so dumb
Cal88
AunBear89 said:

Two of the main actors in that scene, including "Barbara Butch", the fat lady in the role of Jesus Christ and the bearded "lady" who did most of the strutting actually confirmed they were mimicking the Last Supper. Here is a tweet from the former:

and an interview of the latter:

As well one of the main choreographers also confirmed they spoofed the Last Supper.
oski003
dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

AunBear89 said:

Wow, just wow. Omg. Wow.

Sometimes Americans are so dumb

You double down on stupid nearly every day. Why would today be any different?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.