Chinese Virus is China's curse to the world

29,950 Views | 319 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hanky1
BearlyCareAnymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

Oak is deflecting.

Saying you don't know what a word means is a white flag.

Only somebody with an agenda would try and deflect or obfuscate an issue by challenging a well known meaning.

Quote:

: the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social groupalso : the characteristic features of everyday existence (such as diversions or a way of life) shared by people in a place or timepopular cultureSouthern culture
b: the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organizationa corporate culture focused on the bottom line
c: the set of values, conventions, or social practices associated with a particular field, activity, or societal characteristicstudying the effect of computers on print cultureChanging the culture of materialism will take time Peggy O'Mara
d: the integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations

I'm not deflecting. I have a degree in anthropology. You aren't using the term right. Beyond that, in referring to sh*t cultures I find you ignorant and abhorrent and not worth talking to. You personally disgust me. Race and immutable characteristics are not the only forms of prejudice. If you want to feel that is me surrendering fine. My personal opinion is if you wrestle a pig, you get covered in muck. Someone with your views is so far away from what I feel is appropriate there is no point in trying. If my attitude gives you internal justification to vote for Trump, which you are going to do anyway, whatever floats your boat.
Wow. What a Trumpistic response. Just like a characterization I heard earlier today of Mr Alexander. I think you're going over the deep end here a bit Oak. Maxing out on attacks of those with views opposing. Unless this is the standard for "appropriate".
So just to be clear. You are defending someone who refers to other cultures as sh*t cultures and then doubles down on it by arguing it is an objective fact? That is the guy you want to be in this argument? I'm clarifying because I have a modicum of respect for you to think this post is colored more by us getting into it yesterday and it is behavior you would not normally defend nor would you attack someone for pointing out the abhorrence of characterizing other cultures as sh*t cultures.

I mean it. I am hoping that is not what you intend to do and I'm giving you the opportunity to clarify, and I'm hoping you will say, "Well, Oak, I'm still ticked off about yesterday, but you are right, calling other cultures sh*t cultures is ignorant behavior"

I'm perfectly comfortable saying that classifying other cultures as sh*t cultures is inappropriate behavior. If you want to criticize me for that, I take your arrows with pride.

Can I horn in here? Oak, I'm still ticked off about you being so unwilling to give Sonny Dykes SORT OF a pass on the 2013 season, but you are right, calling other cultures sh*t cultures is ignorant behavior.
Dykes should have been fired year one. Your disagreement on that point is unforgivable.
BearlyCareAnymore
OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

OaktownBear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

Oak is deflecting.

Only somebody with an agenda would try and deflect or obfuscate an issue by challenging a well known meaning.

Quote:

: the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social groupalso : the characteristic features of everyday existence (such as diversions or a way of life) shared by people in a place or timepopular cultureSouthern culture
b: the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organizationa corporate culture focused on the bottom line
c: the set of values, conventions, or social practices associated with a particular field, activity, or societal characteristicstudying the effect of computers on print cultureChanging the culture of materialism will take time Peggy O'Mara
d: the integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations

I'm not deflecting. I have a degree in anthropology. You aren't using the term right. Beyond that, in referring to sh*t cultures I find you ignorant and abhorrent and not worth talking to. You personally disgust me. Race and immutable characteristics are not the only forms of prejudice. If you want to feel that is me surrendering fine. My personal opinion is if you wrestle a pig, you get covered in muck. Someone with your views is so far away from what I feel is appropriate there is no point in trying. If my attitude gives you internal justification to vote for Trump, which you are going to do anyway, whatever floats your boat.
Wow. What a Trumpistic response. Just like a characterization I heard earlier today of Mr Alexander. I think you're going over the deep end here a bit Oak. Maxing out on attacks of those with views opposing. Unless this is the standard for "appropriate".
So just to be clear. You are defending someone who refers to other cultures as sh*t cultures and then doubles down on it by arguing it is an objective fact? That is the guy you want to be in this argument? I'm clarifying because I have a modicum of respect for you to think this post is colored more by us getting into it yesterday and it is behavior you would not normally defend nor would you attack someone for pointing out the abhorrence of characterizing other cultures as sh*t cultures.

I mean it. I am hoping that is not what you intend to do and I'm giving you the opportunity to clarify, and I'm hoping you will say, "Well, Oak, I'm still ticked off about yesterday, but you are right, calling other cultures sh*t cultures is ignorant behavior"

I'm perfectly comfortable saying that classifying other cultures as sh*t cultures is inappropriate behavior. If you want to criticize me for that, I take your arrows with pride.
Is a culture that beats women on their 18th birthday no worse than a culture that doesn't? What are YOU arguing here? That the vast observable differences between and within cultures are equivalent, either morally or in outcome? Are you a cultural "Marxist"? Regardless of your answer, and I can't find many things more deplorable, dangerous and ignorant than that .
1. You are using the term cultural "Marxist" wrong. I assume because you want to pin an unpopular label on me. I am not a cultural "Marxist" using the actual meaning nor what I can only surmise is your meaning

2. I have no interest in debating hypothetical cultural practices.

3. If you look at any given culture that you are not a part of, you are going to find many traits and practices. Most you will be neutral to. Some you will think highly of. Some you will object to because they run counter to your culture. And when they look at you they will have the same feeling. For instance, an American may point to a culture that has a lot of practices that he finds oppressive to women. And many of those cultures will point back and say "oh yeah. And what is your rate of rape and molestation of girls and women?" because in some cases theirs is a small fraction of ours. (My argument would be we both have a lot of freaking work to do and neither side's practice justifies the other)

4. If we are going to talk about specific "barbaric" practices, what do you think the practice of cutting off foreskins looks like to cultures that do not engage in that practice? And that is not to say I think we have a bad culture. It is to say, how would you like our culture to be defined by a few practices and traits because I can definitely see someone who could use circumcision as a way of defining America as a sh*t culture.

5. China has a wonderful culture. They have a long and rich history. They have achieved amazing things. They value education. The list of amazing things about that culture is far too voluminous to go into. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they do. I disagree with many practices they have as I have noted here. There is a difference between saying Chinese "wet markets" are abhorrent practices and should be stopped and classifying the whole culture as sh*t because of it. (And by the way, a lot of our practices in raising animals for slaughter is dirty and disgusting also, you just don't live with it because the meat just magically shows up at the grocery store without you having to think about it spending a lifetime standing in a pool of feces pumped full of antibiotics so it doesn't die) There is a difference between saying Saudi Arabia is oppressive to women and saying the whole culture is sh*t. And your claim that you are not classifying a whole people is bullshyte. Chinese people in China are born and raised in the Chinese culture and they practice the Chinese culture. Acting like you are not saying all Chinese people because they could theoretically choose not to practice their culture is bullshyte. And this is why I said you don't know what culture means. A Chinese person in China is part of the Chinese culture. They can't help but be. Whether they adopt a specific handful of practices that you don't like out of the millions of practices that makes up a culture is irrelevant to the question.

6. Summing up a culture as a handful of traits you read about on the internet and calling them sh*t is ignorant and demeaning. Ursa is not a bleeding heart liberal. The point is you go to some place like Iran and you get a glimpse of the culture in its entirety, not just a sound bite of the Cliff Notes of the Cliff Notes version of a summary of the culture. You want to argue against certain cultural practices, I'm right there with you. You want to define a whole culture as sh*t, that is prejudiced ignorance. It is not about cultural relativism (which is what I would guess is what you were going for with your "Marxist" label). It is about having the sense to know that more you know the more you will find that there is good and bad everywhere and if you are only seeing bad, it is the lens you are looking through.

ps. Because I am not an Alt-Right fascist, I wasn't aware of the use of the term "cultural Marxism" among Alt-right fascists. As it is an actual concept in academia that is not anything like the anti-Semitic bullshyte conspiracy theories you apparently like to swim in, your use was puzzling to me. Now I know who and what you are. Thanks for the "unvirtue signalling". It explains a lot. I'll keep it in mind.
OdontoBear66
OaktownBear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

Oak is deflecting.

Quote:

You do not read, or do not listen. I am speaking to you. I have no favor for your arch enemy Trump. I find your behavior detestable. Most times I also finds Trumps behavior detestable. But your obsession is over the top.
Best advice as you continue to double down on your behavior is ESAD.
hanky1
I can't even follow along. What are you guys even arguing about? This is all a part of the Chinese plot to divide America.
tequila4kapp
OaktownBear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

Oak is deflecting.

Quote:

Honest question. Is it the word "culture" that bothers you? If there was some other word would it make it better? As an example, if America still held African Americans as slaves, could we not agree that something in the collective judgement and beliefs of the nation that manifested itself as an outrageous practice or result was sh*t?
Californium
Oaktownbear,
You are the MAN! Your ability to clearly and concisely respond is amazing, dare I say legendary, even. As a fan of your reasoned responses in the face of people who obfuscate, change the subject when they don't have a good response, use silly terms to discount fair points(virtue signalling - by which they accuse you of not believing what you say because, what?, they don't believe it?) , ascribe ridiculous stances to others (trump derangement syndrome - code for "you are not allowed to rationally disagree with Trump or you are deranged, therefore I get to discount anything you said"), and generally argue in ways that would get them an "F" in every debate class I ever attended, I have a question:

Why do you bother (not a rhetorical question)? I would consider it heroic, if they were in any way redeemable, or even were unredeemable, but trying to discuss things in a reasoned manner. They don't. I am not criticizing their beliefs, which I think everyone has a right to, I am talking about the manner in which they converse ultimately resorting to ESAD as if that were any kind of argument let alone a convincing one. Maybe you are just way more patient than I am(highly likely). Maybe you are way more optimistic and feel like suddenly they will get it (highly unlikely, you are way, way to perceptive for that). Maybe you just like the opportunity to state some things for the record (a very commendable motive, if so). I enjoy reading it, but I would not enjoy writing it and so I am genuinely interested to know if you really do or, more generally what your motive is.

An adjunct thought I have is that, though BI is a tiny audience so that no large harm is being done in responding end thus giving them more opportunities to spout their silly ideas over and over (something, they have every right to do - not disputing that), the best way to silence such ridiculousness is to just ignore it. If no one responded to obvious trolling-for-response-looking to inflame posts like the OP made, such posts would die the ignominious death they deserve.

Somewhat relevant XKCD cartoon
Yogi17
Californium said:

Oaktownbear,
You are the MAN! Your ability to clearly and concisely respond is amazing, dare I say legendary, even. As a fan of your reasoned responses in the face of people who obfuscate, change the subject when they don't have a good response, use silly terms to discount fair points(virtue signalling - by which they accuse you of not believing what you say because, what?, they don't believe it?) , ascribe ridiculous stances to others (trump derangement syndrome - code for "you are not allowed to rationally disagree with Trump or you are deranged, therefore I get to discount anything you said"), and generally argue in ways that would get them an "F" in every debate class I ever attended, I have a question:

Why do you bother (not a rhetorical question)? I would consider it heroic, if they were in any way redeemable, or even were unredeemable, but trying to discuss things in a reasoned manner. They don't. I am not criticizing their beliefs, which I think everyone has a right to, I am talking about the manner in which they converse ultimately resorting to ESAD as if that were any kind of argument let alone a convincing one. Maybe you are just way more patient than I am(highly likely). Maybe you are way more optimistic and feel like suddenly they will get it (highly unlikely, you are way, way to perceptive for that). Maybe you just like the opportunity to state some things for the record (a very commendable motive, if so). I enjoy reading it, but I would not enjoy writing it and so I am genuinely interested to know if you really do or, more generally what your motive is.

An adjunct thought I have is that, though BI is a tiny audience so that no large harm is being done in responding end thus giving them more opportunities to spout their silly ideas over and over (something, they have every right to do - not disputing that), the best way to silence such ridiculousness is to just ignore it. If no one responded to obvious trolling-for-response-looking to inflame posts like the OP made, such posts would die the ignominious death they deserve.

Somewhat relevant XKCD cartoon
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd literally pay $100 to watch Oaktown decimate any other lawyer in the Cal sports world in court. I don't always agree with him, but no one can ever say he didn't think before his fingers hit the keyboard.
hanky1
I wonder why this only became an issue when Trump said it, but was a non issue when the Washington Post and CNN were calling it Chinese virus.

Anarchistbear

China sending relief supplies to us to combat "American Flu."
Big C
hanky1 said:

I wonder why this only became an issue when Trump said it, but was a non issue when the Washington Post and CNN were calling it Chinese virus.

I can't always tell when you're kidding (which, by the way, is one of the things I love best about your posts), but in the headline you're showing us, they don't mean "Chinese virus" but rather "virus infections in China".

"Duh" to you, if you couldn't tell this. More likely, "duh" to me if you were messing with us. You probably got me again, hanky1!
BearForce2
hanky1 said:

I am half Asian.

I have a group text chat with my Asian side of the family.

WE ALL CALL IT CHINESE VIRUS!!!
I'm sure you heard about the xenophobia against Asians and Asian-Americans that's been going on. If someone attacked you based on your appearance, does being half-Asian make it half a hate crime?
okaydo
GBear4Life
BearForce2 said:

hanky1 said:

I am half Asian.

I have a group text chat with my Asian side of the family.

WE ALL CALL IT CHINESE VIRUS!!!
I'm sure you heard about the xenophobia against Asians and Asian-Americans that's been going on. If someone attacked you based on your appearance, does being half-Asian make it half a hate crime?
Does it matter?
GBear4Life
What should OakT be lauded for here? Taking a big swing and miss on the topic in addressing differences in cultural practices and values? I can picture Oak peddling this garbage during Nazi Germany like "I'm not condoning the hating of Jews but they grew up in that milieu. You can't say Nazism is a shyte culture, K?"

Of course there are many cultural and subcultural behaviors and values within a country, community, etc, including in America. But you cannot claim to have reverence for certain values domestically and when you see antagonistic values towards them abroad hide behind this bullshyte PC on cultulre. Saudi Arabia is a shyt, backwards culture. Period. End of story. Have a good night. If one cannot bring themselves to observing this out loud, they are either stupid or blinded by their own ideology (e.g. Ezra Klein on IQ). I don't care that there are SOME cultural traits and attitudes that are benign or even virtuous. Yeah they think the same of America (I do too -- so maybe we're all shyt cultures, just varying degees of shyt?). Who gives a f*ck?
GBear4Life
Professor David Romer said:

GBear4Life said:

What should OakT be lauded for here?
Well, he's cleared the rather low bar of not being as ****ing ignorant as you are. I know it's not much of a compliment, but just because they don't give people a medal for winning the first 100 steps of a marathon doesn't mean that someone doesn't win those first 100 steps. And in the marathon of public discourse, he's sitting at the finish line while you're still wondering why everyone started running because you didn't know what the starting pistol sound meant and are waiting for a RWNJ website to tell you it's OK to start running.
Thank goodness society's hierarchies relegate you and your type to the margins of society. They'd compassion'd us to obliteration.
Yogi17
GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

Well, he's cleared the rather low bar of not being as ****ing ignorant as you are. I know it's not much of a compliment, but just because they don't give people a medal for winning the first 100 steps of a marathon doesn't mean that someone doesn't win those first 100 steps. And in the marathon of public discourse, he's sitting at the finish line while you're still wondering why everyone started running because you didn't know what the starting pistol sound meant and are waiting for a RWNJ website to tell you it's OK to start running.
Thank goodness society's hierarchies relegate you and your type to the margins of society. They'd compassion'd us to obliteration.
My type is taking over.
GBear4Life

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

My type is taking over.
Yogi17
GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

My type is taking over.

When I and the rest of my Commnist friends show up at your house to seize all your property and any guns you might own, you probably won't be laughing as much.

But I will.
GBear4Life

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

My type is taking over.

When I and the rest of my Commnist friends show up at your house to seize all your property and any guns you might own, you probably won't be laughing as much.

But I will.
Points for honesty.

I don't think you can import enough poverty to break the binding cultural values of the people and government, but I know you're going to give it your best shot!
Yogi17
GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

My type is taking over.

But I will.
Points for honesty.

I don't think you can import enough poverty to break the binding cultural values of the people and government, but I know you're going to give it your best shot!
No concerns there. We already have the numbers. Once we have your guns and money, we won't have to worry about resistance.
GBear4Life

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

My type is taking over.

But I will.
Points for honesty.

No concerns there. We already have the numbers. Once we have your guns and money, we won't have to worry about resistance.
Numbers? The commie types are still a tiny minority. Growing, sure.
Yogi17
GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life said:

My type is taking over.

But I will.
Points for honesty.

Numbers? The commie types are still a tiny minority. Growing, sure.
No, the poverty types. They'll be the first to get the repossessed guns and the money.
GBear4Life
Yeah this pandemic is good times for the Foucault and Derrida types.
Yogi17
GBear4Life said:

Yeah this pandemic is good times for the Foucault and Derrida types.
We're also thinking that maybe taking over the Democratic Party is a waste of time. Republican Party is a much better target for our agenda.

1. They use the color red, which we prefer anyway.
2. They don't use an ass for their logo.
3. Their voters are really stupid, so we could tell them that we hate socialists, tell them our candidate is a self-made billionaire white man, propose a bunch of socialist policies that they will like while telling them they're all capiitalistic ideas, then spring the trap on January 20, 2024 and tell them they actually voted for a Latina lesbian athiest and her first presidential order is to round up all the white people and put them in cages while we take their guns, money, trucks, and dogs and replace them with cats and Priuses.

We're keeping the money and guns though. Y'all get a little upset with the Latinos, so we need to defend our new gated communities from the newly displaced poor. We don't want you ****ting on our streets and leaving your cans of Coors around our manicured lawns.

BearForce2
hanky1 said:

Yes it's called the Chinese Virus. Not Coronavirus. Not COVID-19. Chinese Virus. Why can't we call it Chinese Virus? Racism? Please.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Spit-On-Yelled-At-Attacked-Chinese-Americans-15150284.php#photo-19161287
GBear4Life
BearForce2 said:

hanky1 said:

Yes it's called the Chinese Virus. Not Coronavirus. Not COVID-19. Chinese Virus. Why can't we call it Chinese Virus? Racism? Please.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Spit-On-Yelled-At-Attacked-Chinese-Americans-15150284.php#photo-19161287
So when dumb a**es do dumb sh*t it's other people's fault? What is your point here? You're attributing these attacks to Americans using "Chinese"? They can't figure it out themselves?
Yogi17
GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

hanky1 said:

So when dumb a**es do dumb sh*t it's other people's fault? What is your point here? You're attributing these attacks to Americans using "Chinese"? They can't figure it out themselves?
BearForce2
GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

hanky1 said:

Dumb asses will do dumb **** but it doesn't help if the President continues to use the term. Will it stop completely if he stops? Probably not, but if you asked the Asian community, I'm sure the majority would prefer he doesn't use the term knowing what's happening now. Built up fear and anger need a place to vent.

GBear4Life
BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

hanky1 said:

Dumb asses will do dumb **** but it doesn't help if the President continues to use the term. Will it stop completely if he stops? Probably not, but if you asked the Asian community, I'm sure the majority would prefer he doesn't use the term knowing what's happening now. Built up fear and anger need a place to vent.
I think Asian IQs are too high to give AF.

But using your logic, I guess it makes sense that we not talk about (or simply frame them in dishonest ways) facts in plane sight.

If one is willing to infer the most nefarious intent to suit one's own mind, they will find a problem with everything.
BearlyCareAnymore
GBear4Life said:

What should OakT be lauded for here? Taking a big swing and miss on the topic in addressing differences in cultural practices and values? I can picture Oak peddling this garbage during Nazi Germany like "I'm not condoning the hating of Jews but they grew up in that milieu. You can't say Nazism is a shyte culture, K?"

Of course there are many cultural and subcultural behaviors and values within a country, community, etc, including in America. But you cannot claim to have reverence for certain values domestically and when you see antagonistic values towards them abroad hide behind this bullshyte PC on cultulre. Saudi Arabia is a shyt, backwards culture. Period. End of story. Have a good night. If one cannot bring themselves to observing this out loud, they are either stupid or blinded by their own ideology (e.g. Ezra Klein on IQ). I don't care that there are SOME cultural traits and attitudes that are benign or even virtuous. Yeah they think the same of America (I do too -- so maybe we're all shyt cultures, just varying degees of shyt?). Who gives a f*ck?
1. I specifically criticized specific practices and specifically said doing so was appropriate
2. Nazism isn't a culture. It is a political regime and you are just calling it a culture to try and make a bad point. It is a laughable point that conservatives always make. No one is saying you can't judge nations, practices, political regimes, etc. I would never have condoned Nazism. Again, using the term "culture" wrong.
3. One thing I cannot picture is you sitting in Nazi Germany criticizing Nazi's. I find it easier to picture you goosestepping.
4. The German culture is not a shyte culture.
5. I didn't do anything you said in the second paragraph. I have been very specific that criticizing specific traits is appropriate, often even necessary. I have been very critical of China. You are just being intellectually lazy defining a whole people as bad on the basis of a few traits instead of being willing to speak out on those traits individually. It smears a whole people. The fact that you have substituted culture for race doesn't make it any less prejudiced.

So to sum up. Saying "killing Jews is bad" - good choice. Saying "Germans are shyte" bad choice. I don't know what is hard about that. But please, reference Ezra Klein again.

By the way, since we are bringing up Nazis, it was their ability to convince people that the the Jewish culture was shyte that allowed them to murder millions of them. And it was the refusal of the Allies to define the German culture as shyte that prevented the Allies from lining up men, women and children in Germany and staging mass executions when they easily could have. That is why you don't define cultures as shyte.
GBear4Life
OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

1. I specifically criticized specific practices and specifically said doing so was appropriate
2. Nazism isn't a culture. It is a political regime and you are just calling it a culture to try and make a bad point. It is a laughable point that conservatives always make. No one is saying you can't judge nations, practices, political regimes, etc. I would never have condoned Nazism. Again, using the term "culture" wrong.
3. One thing I cannot picture is you sitting in Nazi Germany criticizing Nazi's. I find it easier to picture you goosestepping.
5. I didn't do anything you said in the second paragraph. I have been very specific that criticizing specific traits is appropriate, often even necessary. I have been very critical of China. You are just being intellectually lazy defining a whole people as bad on the basis of a few traits instead of being willing to speak out on those traits individually. It smears a whole people. The fact that you have substituted culture for race doesn't make it any less prejudiced.

So to sum up. Saying "killing Jews is bad" - good choice. Saying "Germans are shyte" bad choice. I don't know what is hard about that. But please, reference Ezra Klein again.

By the way, since we are bringing up Nazis, it was their ability to convince people that the the Jewish culture was shyte that allowed them to murder millions of them. And it was the refusal of the Allies to define the German culture as shyte that prevented the Allies from lining up men, women and children in Germany and staging mass executions when they easily could have. That is why you don't define cultures as shyte.
Nazi's viewed Jews as genetically inferior. They were less than human. So they could be slaughtered.

The shared and collective behaviors, attitudes and norms that bind a group of people is a "culture". The hating (and killing) of Jews was an innate trait of Nazi culture. This is a silly variable to quibble about. But it does speak volumes.

The culture of apologizing you surely set in your household is an aspect of your household's overall culture. You're being pedantic by holding me to a position that asserts ALL aspects of a culture is "sh*t". I would venture a guess virtually every culture has some number of redeeming values.

They are by definition not the same, and reasonable and fair minds can observe these value systems, and the variables within them, to conclude (and differ about) which values are more important than others to gauge and which value.

My point is you are predictably trying to code language about making conclusions about the factual, observable differences between and within cultures to protect against an conclusion you think will breed from it (e.g. Nazism - you said it yourself). This is precisely the dishonest PC bullsh*t that I'm lamenting.

I wonder if citing blacks commit 50% of homicides will lead to dumb white racists committing hate crimes? Maybe. I don't know. It's irrelevant. Or that whites drive drunk more than other race groups. Will that spur anti-white sentiment. Don't know. Don't really care.

This is about YOU and others LIKE YOU flapping your lips when the values (many of which you find virtuous) you find are lacking in other cultures. You will denigrate American culture for not upholding certain values but these folks cannot do the same looking around the globe, or at groups they don't feel "compassion" for.
GBear4Life
Oh, I lived in the TL in SF for a couple years.

I can say, without pride or prejudice, that the prevailing culture on Turk & Taylor is SH*T and ought not be admired nor duplicated nor mindlessly defended by people trying to parse language about it.
BearlyCareAnymore
GBear4Life said:

OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

Nazi's viewed Jews as genetically inferior. They were less than human. So they could be slaughtered.

The shared and collective behaviors, attitudes and norms that bind a group of people is a "culture". The hating (and killing) of Jews was an innate trait of Nazi culture. This is a silly variable to quibble about. But it does speak volumes.

The culture of apologizing you surely set in your household is an aspect of your household's overall culture. You're being pedantic by holding me to a position that asserts ALL aspects of a culture is "sh*t". I would venture a guess virtually every culture has some number of redeeming values.

They are by definition not the same, and reasonable and fair minds can observe these value systems, and the variables within them, to conclude (and differ about) which values are more important than others to gauge and which value.

My point is you are predictably trying to code language about making conclusions about the factual, observable differences between and within cultures to protect against an conclusion you think will breed from it (e.g. Nazism - you said it yourself). This is precisely the dishonest PC bullsh*t that I'm lamenting.

I wonder if citing blacks commit 50% of homicides will lead to dumb white racists committing hate crimes? Maybe. I don't know. It's irrelevant. Or that whites drive drunk more than other race groups. Will that spur anti-white sentiment. Don't know. Don't really care.

This is about YOU and others LIKE YOU flapping your lips when the values (many of which you find virtuous) you find are lacking in other cultures. You will denigrate American culture for not upholding certain values but these folks cannot do the same looking around the globe, or at groups they don't feel "compassion" for.
With every response, you just misrepresent what I say. There is no point in responding to you when you do that. I suggest you continue the conversation by pretending to be me, making the arguments you would like to argue against, and responding to those. That is what you will do whether I respond or not.
Yogi17
GBear4Life said:

I can say, without pride or prejudice, that the prevailing culture on Turk & Taylor is SH*T and ought not be admired nor duplicated nor mindlessly defended by people trying to parse language about it.
bearister

GBear4Life said:

I think if I had a bottle of Ripple, a joint, and this song playing loudly in the background, I could watch atomic mushroom clouds over SF and feel at peace:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.