Chinese Virus is China's curse to the world

29,953 Views | 319 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hanky1
blungld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GBear4Life said:

blungld said:

But this is all just stupid blathering that you can wipe away by labeling it "virtue signaling."
Yes, it's stupid blathering. Not because it's virtue signaling. But because it's stupid. All radical ideologues congregate. Doesn't matter where on the political spectrum they lie. You're triggered by a facetious, general statement because you identify with the characteristics I'm mocking. If you're not a PC SJW, or LWNJ, or aren't favorable to some of their aims, it wouldn't trigger you to defend them.

You represent all the characteristics you lament in your diatribe. Rigid, lack of empathy for people who disagree with you, sweeping generalizations about character strengths and weaknesses based on ideology of people you don't know.

We both think the other is guilty of all these undesirable characteristics. Not the first time, won't be the last for either of us.

I'm strangely disappointed. I thought you would show yourself to either communicate differently after my post and acknowledge the good points and those you disagree with in approachable, human terms, or you would at least have retorted with some sophistication even if you just went full defensive.

Nope. You just did exactly what my post described. Black and white, no listening, programmed response , and a whole lot of projection. You can't see it. You don't get it. You don't want to get it. So fine. Just do what you do and I guess feel like you are right and that is all that matters?
sycasey
blungld said:

I'm strangely disappointed. I thought you would show yourself to either communicate differently after my post
What on Earth would have ever made you think that would happen?
GBear4Life
blungld said:

I'm strangely disappointed. I thought you would show yourself to either communicate differently after my post and acknowledge the good points and those you disagree with in approachable, human terms, or you would at least have retorted with some sophistication even if you just went full defensive.

Nope. You just did exactly what my post described. Black and white, no listening, programmed response , and a whole lot of projection. You can't see it. You don't get it. You don't want to get it. So fine. Just do what you do and I guess feel like you are right and that is all that matters?
Your diatribe wasn't sophisticated at all. I don't know why you felt entitled to a response at all. Your post amounted to apologizing for SJWs by appealing to vague, BS moralizing about how one ideology cares about people and fairness and another ideology doesn't. Framing a topic with moralizing language that presupposes one side (your side -- shocking) stands on the moral high ground, and that everything to others (me) is "black and white". Why? Just because.
kelly09
GBear4Life said:

blungld said:

Your diatribe wasn't sophisticated at all. I don't know why you felt entitled to a response at all. Your post amounted to apologizing for SJWs by appealing to vague, BS moralizing about how one ideology cares about people and fairness and another ideology doesn't. Framing a topic with moralizing language that presupposes one side (your side -- shocking) stands on the moral high ground, and that everything to others (me) is "black and white". Why? Just because.

Victor Davis Hanson (I know, I know,he is no Bill Maher)From the outset, the world noted the close proximity of a P4-level virology lab in the hills near Wuhan. Its staff was known to have studied coronaviruses similar to SARS-CoV-2.
Most in the West knew from the prior 2002-2003 SARS epidemic that the Chinese government had habitually covered up the origins and transmission of that virus.
So naturally, speculation immediately focused on the role of the nearby lab, even as the Chinese blanketed the global media with the official explanations of a natural viral birth amid the wet markets of Wuhan. We were variously told that pangolins, bats, and snakes were the petri dish culprits for the global epidemic. They may be, but then, again, the recombinant viruses from them might have escaped not from a butcher's hook but a scientist's vial.
Chinese government propagandists blasted any doubt of their narrative as illiberal. Its methodology was often embraced as useful by the American media. If one discussed the possibility of some role of the lab in global catastrophe, the question was almost deliberately obfuscated and recalibrated as a "conspiracy theory" accusation (the Chinese were adept in using such a loaded American expression) that the lab had made a bioweapon or that a natural virus had been let loose intentionally.
But few mainstream observers ever floated such theories. Usually, they instead questioned the safety practices of the laba concern echoed by U.S. embassy officials in Chinaand wanted assurances from China about its abilities to prevent accidental releases of a coronavirus under study.
Instead, they were stonewalled. Stories spread of data destroyed. Researchers disappeared. Official dates surrounding the origins and transmission of the virus were altered constantly.
Yet the more China in Orwellian fashion tried to modulate its own prior communications about the lab, the more American media also joined its chorus of demeaning legitimate inquiries, and the more it became clear that China was terrified of any scrutiny directed toward the top-secret facility.

After all, on January 23, in fear of the growing contagion, China forbade travel in and out of Wuhan, but not to European and American airports that, for a while, kept such routes open. When they finally closed, Americans were blasted by the Chinese (and Joe Biden) as racists for doing what Beijing had done earlier. Only the U.S. media would accept that the Chinese were not racists for allowing their own citizens, at a time of contagion, to travel abroad to the U.S. in a manner they could not fly freely at homebut yet the Americans were dubbed bigoted for allowing them to continue to do so as well for a critical week.
In contrast, far less vituperation met a series of contradictory, constantly changing, and often downright illogical declarations emanating from the best and brightest at the World Health Organization, the CDC, the FDA, NIH, and from the Surgeon General.
We were at different times told that the virus was not transmissible from human to human. Travel bans were expressions of illiberal panic not reflections of ancient scientific quarantine protocols.

The FDA's monopoly over test kits was supposedly the best and most rapid way to ensure that millions got into the hands of doctors and hospitals.
kelly09
kelly09 said:

GBear4Life said:

blungld said:

Victor Davis Hanson (I know, I know,he is no Bill Maher)From the outset, the world noted the close proximity of a P4-level virology lab in the hills near Wuhan. Its staff was known to have studied coronaviruses similar to SARS-CoV-2.
Most in the West knew from the prior 2002-2003 SARS epidemic that the Chinese government had habitually covered up the origins and transmission of that virus.
So naturally, speculation immediately focused on the role of the nearby lab, even as the Chinese blanketed the global media with the official explanations of a natural viral birth amid the wet markets of Wuhan. We were variously told that pangolins, bats, and snakes were the petri dish culprits for the global epidemic. They may be, but then, again, the recombinant viruses from them might have escaped not from a butcher's hook but a scientist's vial.
Chinese government propagandists blasted any doubt of their narrative as illiberal. Its methodology was often embraced as useful by the American media. If one discussed the possibility of some role of the lab in global catastrophe, the question was almost deliberately obfuscated and recalibrated as a "conspiracy theory" accusation (the Chinese were adept in using such a loaded American expression) that the lab had made a bioweapon or that a natural virus had been let loose intentionally.
But few mainstream observers ever floated such theories. Usually, they instead questioned the safety practices of the laba concern echoed by U.S. embassy officials in Chinaand wanted assurances from China about its abilities to prevent accidental releases of a coronavirus under study.
Instead, they were stonewalled. Stories spread of data destroyed. Researchers disappeared. Official dates surrounding the origins and transmission of the virus were altered constantly.
Yet the more China in Orwellian fashion tried to modulate its own prior communications about the lab, the more American media also joined its chorus of demeaning legitimate inquiries, and the more it became clear that China was terrified of any scrutiny directed toward the top-secret facility.

After all, on January 23, in fear of the growing contagion, China forbade travel in and out of Wuhan, but not to European and American airports that, for a while, kept such routes open. When they finally closed, Americans were blasted by the Chinese (and Joe Biden) as racists for doing what Beijing had done earlier. Only the U.S. media would accept that the Chinese were not racists for allowing their own citizens, at a time of contagion, to travel abroad to the U.S. in a manner they could not fly freely at homebut yet the Americans were dubbed bigoted for allowing them to continue to do so as well for a critical week.
In contrast, far less vituperation met a series of contradictory, constantly changing, and often downright illogical declarations emanating from the best and brightest at the World Health Organization, the CDC, the FDA, NIH, and from the Surgeon General.
We were at different times told that the virus was not transmissible from human to human. Travel bans were expressions of illiberal panic not reflections of ancient scientific quarantine protocols.

The FDA's monopoly over test kits was supposedly the best and most rapid way to ensure that millions got into the hands of doctors and hospitals.
The whole article is excellent. You libs can find it at Real Clear Politics. I'm guessing thay you probably won't.
GoOskie
kelly09 said:

You libs can find it at Real Clear Politics. I'm guessing thay you probably won't.
You are correct. Hanson is a hack, "deep state" conman and a Trump a$$ licker.

Yogi04
blungld said:

For the most part, Liberals are kinda peaceniks who get upset when they see people, anyone being treated unfairly

GBear4Life
Professor Henry Higgins said:

blungld said:

For the most part, Liberals are kinda peaceniks who get upset when they see people, anyone being treated unfairly

This was my favorite line, I literally laughed out loud reading it. The self deluded arrogance and audacity and conceit required to seriously write such words about one's self and their group identity (as if they are "mostly basically the same") and not as a parody is quite a feat.
GBear4Life
Since Bernie lost, Professor Fanboy has been extra agitated and with so much time on his hands made available by not copying and pasting full length articles bashing Elizabeth Warren, he's resorted to unabashed trolling, one-liners aimed at stirring the delicate sensibilities of the faux liberal anti-Bernie crowd,
Yogi04
GBear4Life said:

Since Bernie lost, Professor Fanboy has been extra agitated and with so much time on his hands made available by not copying and pasting full length articles bashing Elizabeth Warren, he's resorted to unabashed trolling, one-liners aimed at stirring the delicate sensibilities of the faux liberal anti-Bernie crowd,
Sometimes I add a second line.
hanky1

I think this is maybe some Chinese plot for population control
BearlyCareAnymore
GBear4Life said:

Most of the faux liberals that are disputing his trolling voted for Bernie. We are among the 80% of Bernie voters who have already decided to vote for Biden.
sycasey
OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

Most of the faux liberals that are disputing his trolling voted for Bernie. We are among the 80% of Bernie voters who have already decided to vote for Biden.
Yup. The adults who voted for Bernie have already moved on from the loss and decided to support the next best option.
blungld
GBear4Life said:

blungld said:

This was my favorite line, I literally laughed out loud reading it. The self deluded arrogance and audacity and conceit required to seriously write such words about one's self and their group identity (as if they are "mostly basically the same") and not as a parody is quite a feat.
Glad I could give you a laugh. I bet if we spoke in person, you wouldn't laugh. You'd probably like me and agree with much of what I say, but you've got your online shtick and you want to stick to it.
Yogi04
OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

I think you should do whatever you think is the right thing.
GBear4Life
blungld said:

GBear4Life said:

blungld said:

Glad I could give you a laugh. I bet if we spoke in person, you wouldn't laugh. You'd probably like me and agree with much of what I say, but you've got your online shtick and you want to stick to it.
If you miraculously dropped the ridiculous sanctimony dripping in ideology, yeah I probably would.
chazzed
Trump owes tens of millions to the Bank of China. Needless to say, this complicates things for the beautifully stable genius.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/24/trump-biden-china-debt-205475
Grigsby
The Trump Virus is doing a number on everyone.
B.A. Bearacus
hanky1 said:

Yes it's called the Chinese Virus. Not Coronavirus. Not COVID-19. Chinese Virus. Why can't we call it Chinese Virus? Racism? Please.

Why has h1 stop calling it the China Virus?
hanky1
B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

Yes it's called the Chinese Virus. Not Coronavirus. Not COVID-19. Chinese Virus. Why can't we call it Chinese Virus? Racism? Please.

Because someone who I respect on this board politely asked me not to many months ago. (Ps-it's none of you)

But since you brought it up again...China Virus. Happpy?
hanky1
hanky1 said:

I am half Asian.

I have a group text chat with my Asian side of the family.

WE ALL CALL IT CHINESE VIRUS!!!
And for the record...

...all the Asians I'm related to still call it China Virus
B.A. Bearacus
hanky1 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

Because someone who I respect on this board politely asked me not to many months ago. (Ps-it's none of you)

But since you brought it up again...China Virus. Happpy?
Glad you're sticking to your guns outside of this site, though. Don't let them silence you.
B.A. Bearacus
Does h1 have any chant ideas that incorporate "China Virus" in a chill and catchy way? I'll pass ideas on to the organizers of this march.

hanky1
This is literally what I've been saying for the past year

B.A. Bearacus
hanky1 said:

This is literally what I've been saying for the past year

What you have been saying for the past year is that you stick by your belief that Hydroxychloroquine is the cure for the Covid crisis.

Some people, like actual scientists, are able to consider new information and change their opinions based on that.
B.A. Bearacus
hanky1 said:

hanky1 said:

I am half Asian.

And for the record...

If these relatives of yours were unfortunate enough to be jumped like this guy (and others I continue to hear about in the news) would you or they at least give the assailants credit for using the correct term?

calbear93
B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

hanky1 said:

I am half Asian.

And for the record...

If these relatives of yours were unfortunate enough to be jumped like this guy (and others I continue to hear about in the news) would you or they at least give the assailants credit for using the correct term?

Apparently most here didn't object to g4r claiming the increased violent attacks on Asians is not racism (props to OTB and Sycasey for standing up for principle) because of something relating to power, but using a term is racism. Got it.
Econ For Dummies
B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

hanky1 said:

I am half Asian.

And for the record...

I bet people calling it the China virus was the only thing that motivated these guys to attack Kim and that if no one had ever called it the China virus, they never would have beat him up. It's only people like hanky1 that make people like them violent.

Violence is bad period. There's no need to lump extra stuff on top of it.
hanky1
Econ For Dummies
hanky1 said:

Who's saying that?
okaydo
hanky1 said:

Do you have a link to an article accusing white supremacists of attacking Asians, or is this something made up?

Until you produce a link, I''m
BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
BearForce2
SFBear92 said:

hanky1 said:

Who's saying that?
BearForce2
https://spectator.us/topic/blame-white-people-race-black-asian-violence/

When 'white supremacists' aren't even white.

Almost all the suspects in recent high-profile attacks against Asian Americans are from minority groups

Quote:

Democratic lawmakers have been quick to blame former President Donald Trump's anti-China rhetoric for the violence. A lengthy New York Times op-ed on the topic goes back further, positioning the latest spree of violence as an extension of white mobs in the 19th century brutally assaulting immigrants. The article carefully avoids identifying the ethnic background of the assailants in this year's attacks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.