Chinese Virus is China's curse to the world

29,945 Views | 319 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hanky1
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hanky1 said:

What about the Black Death? Why no one complaining about that? Did black people start that? No. Is the lack of outrage because racism against blacks?

Have the people who are outraged in this thread because of Chinese Virus...are they also outraged by the Black Death term? Where's the outrage? Maybe there's none because you're racist? I don't know.

Hanky is trolling. He knows no matter what China has done, Trump has been completely inept and ill informed.

Hanky also knows the name Black Death comes from the symptom of your skin dying and turning black.

Hanky don't care about none of that. Hanky just wants to think he matters. Hanky doesnt matter. Don't treat him like he does.
American Vermin
bearister
I am watching Jonathan Swan's interview of China's Ambassador to the United States on the Axios HBO Show. Why in God's name did they give him a forum? The interview would have only been helpful if Vic Mackey conducted it at the Farmington Police station.

*At one point the good Ambassador denied having ever heard of a "disappeared" whistleblowing Chinese journalist that the Ambassador admitted knowing in a prior Face the Nation interview.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GBear4Life
When PC Asians trying to keep it real goes really, really wrong

bearlyamazing
In Spain, which currently has the fourth-highest number of coronavirus cases in the world, the government purchased 640,000 rapid test kits from China and South Korea as it fights the pandemic. Experts soon discovered, however, that the tests it purchased from Chinese company Bioeasy were only correctly identifying coronavirus cases 30 percent of the time, according to Spain's El Pais.

The Czech Republic also purchased 150,000 rapid test kits from China, and have likewise found problems. One doctor using the tests found that 80 percent of the kits were faulty and has reverted back to the conventional lab tests, which are significantly slower to process.

https://trendingpolitics.com/breaking-china-busted-for-shipping-faulty-coronavirus-test-kits-to-other-nations/?utm_source=economics
GBear4Life
bearlyamazing said:

In Spain, which currently has the fourth-highest number of coronavirus cases in the world, the government purchased 640,000 rapid test kits from China and South Korea as it fights the pandemic. Experts soon discovered, however, that the tests it purchased from Chinese company Bioeasy were only correctly identifying coronavirus cases 30 percent of the time, according to Spain's El Pais.

The Czech Republic also purchased 150,000 rapid test kits from China, and have likewise found problems. One doctor using the tests found that 80 percent of the kits were faulty and has reverted back to the conventional lab tests, which are significantly slower to process.

https://trendingpolitics.com/breaking-china-busted-for-shipping-faulty-coronavirus-test-kits-to-other-nations/?utm_source=economics
Good info.

Is anybody surprised?
Big C
Now that we're NUMBER ONE(!) in the world for the novel coronavirus and it looks like we're only gonna be putting distance between ourselves and whoever number two is for the foreseeable future, I wonder what people are going to be calling it...

Who cares where it first started. Look who's making it BIG!
bearlyamazing
Big C said:

Now that we're NUMBER ONE(!) in the world for the novel coronavirus and it looks like we're only gonna be putting distance between ourselves and whoever number two is for the foreseeable future, I wonder what people are going to be calling it...

You have a morbid fascination with us being the country with the most who have contracted the virus. Can you tell anyone with a straight face that it's not because you want it to make Trump look bad? If not, why then?
Big C
I don't see anything wrong with being number one at everything we do. It's the American way!

LOL, China, thinking this was going to be the thing that finally made them big time on the world stage.

Out: Kung Flu
In: Affluenza
Out: Wu Flu
In: Red White and Blue Flu
Big C
bearlyamazing said:

Big C said:

You have a morbid fascination with us being the country with the most who have contracted the virus. Can you tell anyone with a straight face that it's not because you want it to make Trump look bad? If not, why then?

Straight face? I can't do that on hanky1's joke thread. I can poke fun at my own country even in a crisis, loving it as I do. What, as great a country as we have and we can't even laugh at ourselves a little bit? I reject that notion!

(Shhhhh... What I seriously want is for Trump to save American lives and the American economy during this crisis... and then lose the election in November for a hundred other reasons.)
BearlyCareAnymore
bearlyamazing said:

Big C said:

Somebody has Trump Derangement Syndrome Derangement Syndrome.
GBear4Life
Speaking of Chinese, how come so many Chinese in SF who've spent most of their life in America do not understand English? I think Chinatown is pretty cool...except for the 3rd world sanitation and English as a foreign language.
sp4149
Since he denied it existed, COVID-19 should be named in his honor by the WHO.

FAUX TRUMP FLU
chazzed
Dang. Something is wrong with the link.
BearForce2
GBear4Life said:

Speaking of Chinese, how come so many Chinese in SF who've spent most of their life in America do not understand English? I think Chinatown is pretty cool...except for the 3rd world sanitation and English as a foreign language.
Maybe because they're 1st generation immigrants who came when they were older? I'm sure they're embarrassed they don't speak English fluently. You don't see the 2nd generation not speaking English.
GBear4Life
BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Maybe because they're 1st generation immigrants who came when they were older? I'm sure they're embarrassed they don't speak English fluently. You don't see the 2nd generation not speaking English.

I see it all the time. Their kids are born in America or came at an early age. The kids are Americanized. If they were embarrassed, they'd buy Rosetta Stone and solve their own problem.
BearForce2
GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

I see it all the time. Their kids are born in America or came at an early age. The kids are Americanized. If they were embarrassed, they'd buy Rosetta Stone and solve their own problem.
I see, you just don't like hearing foreign languages in this country is that it?

AunBear89
Aww - look at that: the RWNJs are having a spat. Clearly someone didn't get their GOP marching orders about foreigners. MAGA!
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearForce2
AunBear89 said:

Aww - look at that: the RWNJs are having a spat. Clearly someone didn't get their GOP marching orders about foreigners. MAGA!
Sweetheart, what do you look like?
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Not my experience growing up in San Francisco. The Asian-American kids who were born here all spoke English fluently. You don't know what you're talking about.
Big C
GBear4Life said:

My paternal grandparents came here from a European country when they were in their twenties. They were literate in their native language but not educated past the the eighth grade (approx). They stayed in a community here of people from the same country, belonging to the same church and speaking the language they knew, never learning much English at all. Most of the people in their community thought they would eventually return to "the old country", but never did. Unfortunately, I was never able to speak with my grandparents (any of them, as my maternal grandparents died before I was born).

My father first learned to speak, read and write in his parents' language, then became literate in English, but he never went to school beyond the 10th grade.

Too bad for me, I never learned the language of "the old country", but I am fluent in a second language and a graduate of the #1 public university in the world.

I believe this is a fairly typical immigration story.
bearister
"Lawrence Welk was born in the German-speaking community of Strasburg, North Dakota.[2] He was sixth of the eight children of Ludwig and Christiana (ne Schwahn) Welk, Roman Catholic ethnic Germans who emigrated in 1892 from Odessa, Russian Empire (now Ukraine)....

Welk did not learn to speak English until he was twenty-one and never felt comfortable speaking it in public." Wikipedia

*I heard this trivia fact when I was a kid from my dad. It was so odd it has stuck with me all these years. I love these weird discussions on BI that let me unburden my mind of the millions of pieces of useless information clogging partially functioning synapses.
GBear4Life
BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

I see, you just don't like hearing foreign languages in this country is that it?
Not at all. I object to the lack of assmiilation -- #1 is language. You can speak your native language I have no problem with it. But living in a country for half a century and not being capable of speaking the language is a failure of both them and the society's toleration of their lack of assimilation.
GBear4Life
sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Not my experience growing up in San Francisco. The Asian-American kids who were born here all spoke English fluently. You don't know what you're talking about.
Oh your experience trumps mine?

That's not the point, and I don't deny your experience. Asian American kis are literate in English because they went to American schools. Duh. Often their parents immigrated here and do not. Unacceptable.
GBear4Life
Do you let newcomers in your house refuse to communicate in the language of the house? Ignore your rules and customs? No, your expectation is for them to assimilate. What about your job? Who thinks it's appropriate for the new guy to come in and basically be like "nah, don't give a sh*t about your culture or how things are done here, I'm gonna be me!" And the same goes for pig *****Americans who live abroad and think they have no obligation to assimilate to some degree to the locality in which they live -- starting with language. Language is the primary binding cultural trait in any given community. More than race or gender or status.

Ideologically driven people will surely view this as something malevolent (take your pick) in order to dismiss it out of hand.
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

That's not the point, and I don't deny your experience. Asian American kis are literate in English because they went to American schools. Duh. Often their parents immigrated here and do not. Unacceptable.

Apologies, I misread and thought you were claiming the children of immigrants were bad at speaking English. Instead you're just being a jerk about older people who have trouble learning a new language as adults, when it's cognitively much harder to learn a language versus when you are young.

Though again, in my experience when I met kids' parents who were immigrants they did at least attempt to speak English. Not all were great at it, but they tried.
GBear4Life
sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Apologies, I misread and thought you were claiming the children of immigrants were bad at speaking English. Instead you're just being a jerk about older people who have trouble learning a new language as adults, when it's cognitively much harder to learn a language versus when you are young.

Though again, in my experience when I met kids' parents who were immigrants they did at least attempt to speak English. Not all were great at it, but they tried.
I definitely think some try. And I'm empathetic towards those types. Chinatown is an example of what I'm talking about.

Here's a general rule: if I can't/won't learn a foreign language, I shouldn't move there. In other words, if I won't assimilate to an an established environment, I shouldn't be there. That would make me an a**hole
Big C
GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

I definitely think some try. And I'm empathetic towards those types. Chinatown is an example of what I'm talking about.

Here's a general rule: if I can't/won't learn a foreign language, I shouldn't move there. In other words, if I won't assimilate to an an established environment, I shouldn't be there. That would make me an a**hole

Sounds like you're sayin' my grandparents were a**holes. I'm gonna have to take issue with that.
Yogi02
sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Shocking
Yogi02
GBear4Life said:

You don't have to worry.
Anarchistbear
GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Who gives a s$it? Long as they make tasty dim sum I don't care whether they speak Cantonese or Mandarin.
bearister
GBear4Life
Anarchistbear said:

GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Who gives a s$it? Long as they make tasty dim sum I don't care whether they speak Cantonese or Mandarin.
We have enough Chinese joints.
GBear4Life
Big C said:

GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Sounds like you're sayin' my grandparents were a**holes. I'm gonna have to take issue with that.
Your parents probably wouldn't like it if somebody they allowed into their backyard didn't care enough about that community, that environment, enough to assimilate. Basic humanity 101
Yogi02
GBear4Life said:

Big C said:

GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

BearForce2 said:

GBear4Life said:

Your parents probably wouldn't like it if somebody they allowed into their backyard didn't care enough about that community, that environment, enough to assimilate. Basic humanity 101
I don't appreciate that you don't care enough about this community to have assimilated.
bearister
The following is from the yellow journalism (but fun) rag sheet the Daily Mail. The info is allegedly from an MIT study. It actually elicited a loud gallows belly laugh from me because if true, everything you know is wrong, the COVID 19 Pandemic is a real Terminator, War of the Worlds $h@it:

" The study, which was reported by the Telegraph, found that viral droplets expelled in coughs and sneezes can travel in a moist, warm atmosphere at speeds of between 33 and 100ft per second (ten metres to 100 metres).
This creates a cloud within the atmosphere that can span approximately 23ft to 27ft (seven metres to eight metres) to neighbouring people.
It has also been warned that droplets, which contribute to the rapid spread of covid-19, can remain suspended in the air for several hours."

.....and..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.