Chinese Virus is China's curse to the world

29,946 Views | 319 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hanky1
BearForce2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

hanky1 said:

Yes it's called the Chinese Virus. Not Coronavirus. Not COVID-19. Chinese Virus. Why can't we call it Chinese Virus? Racism? Please.

You know, you can think outside a forced bubble and assess this critically, unless after deep thought, you are convinced people are going to be attacking British people as a result of calling it a UK variant. You know, like German Americans and Italian Americans were put in concentration camps in the US and Irish people were lynched after being falsely accused. If you cannot put these things into context and in how America is, you probably should step aside on this discussion because I suspect you know not one single person who is Asian.
Somewhere earlier in this thread I said Wuhan virus was probably a better term to use rather than China virus. But the tweet still has a point. If there was a variant coming from China, what would it be called? The covid variant?

Context matters and understanding our history matters. If you tinker making this argument as if you are without knowledge of America's soul and our history and if you choose to think people will react the same to calling something Wuhan or China virus versus British virus, you are being willfully blind. People are naturally more hateful of those who look different. Asians and blacks do not have the luxury of thinking calling something China virus versus British virus are the same. And if you know Americans will react a certain way by calling it China virus and it will result in more attacks, why would you promote it or defend it? Is making a point worth attacks against innocent Americans? What if it were you daughter or your mom who may get attacked by you insisting on calling something China virus out of principle? Would that make you feel like you won some moral battle?

Do you naturally hate those who look different from you?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
calbear93
BearForce2 said:

calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

hanky1 said:

Yes it's called the Chinese Virus. Not Coronavirus. Not COVID-19. Chinese Virus. Why can't we call it Chinese Virus? Racism? Please.

You know, you can think outside a forced bubble and assess this critically, unless after deep thought, you are convinced people are going to be attacking British people as a result of calling it a UK variant. You know, like German Americans and Italian Americans were put in concentration camps in the US and Irish people were lynched after being falsely accused. If you cannot put these things into context and in how America is, you probably should step aside on this discussion because I suspect you know not one single person who is Asian.
Somewhere earlier in this thread I said Wuhan virus was probably a better term to use rather than China virus. But the tweet still has a point. If there was a variant coming from China, what would it be called? The covid variant?

Context matters and understanding our history matters. If you tinker making this argument as if you are without knowledge of America's soul and our history and if you choose to think people will react the same to calling something Wuhan or China virus versus British virus, you are being willfully blind. People are naturally more hateful of those who look different. Asians and blacks do not have the luxury of thinking calling something China virus versus British virus are the same. And if you know Americans will react a certain way by calling it China virus and it will result in more attacks, why would you promote it or defend it? Is making a point worth attacks against innocent Americans? What if it were you daughter or your mom who may get attacked by you insisting on calling something China virus out of principle? Would that make you feel like you won some moral battle?

Sometimes I wonder if you are really approaching this from good faith. With all the recent violence against people based on color or race, why does it matter what that answer is? Let's assume that I am more evolved than the racist pieces of **** who think it is cool to promote calling it China virus despite all the attacks against Asians. Does my answer make all of the attacks against Asians go away? If I answer no, does that mean Asians have nothing to fear? If you cannot ask more intelligent and relevant questions, we're done.
sycasey
The world very quickly coalesced around "coronavirus" and later "COVID-19" as the common name for the new disease, not "China virus." Sorry this one didn't go the way you wanted, but what's the point of continuing to harp on it? Should we also keep complaining about how no one calls New York "New Amsterdam" anymore? Those poor Dutch!
sycasey
calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

hanky1 said:

Sometimes I wonder if you are really approaching this from good faith.

He's not.
BearForce2
calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

hanky1 said:

Sometimes I wonder if you are really approaching this from good faith. With all the recent violence against people based on color or race, why does it matter what that answer is? Let's assume that I am more evolved than the racist pieces of **** who think it is cool to promote calling it China virus despite all the attacks against Asians. Does my answer make all of the attacks against Asians go away? If I answer no, does that mean Asians have nothing to fear? If you cannot ask more intelligent and relevant questions, we're done.
I mostly understand your point, however, I never insisted on calling it the China virus. The main point of the OP is that people will judge others as racist for using the term which in and of itself isn't a racist term. If I were in a group with other Asians, I probably wouldn't call it the China virus although I think hanky1 said earlier that everyone on the Asian side of this family calls it the China virus and I don't see anything wrong with that Likewise, if I was among some Italian visitors in the U.S. and there was a pandemic here caused by a virus from Italy, I probably wouldn't refer to it as the Italian virus in their presence. Nor would I derive any pleasure from referring to it as the Italian virus when not in their presence. I generally refer to the virus as covid and don't have any issues with conservatives I see in the media calling it the China virus to stick it the left or CCP, unless I think they are doing it to intentionally demean Chinese people or other Asians.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
BearForce2
sycasey said:

The world very quickly coalesced around "coronavirus" and later "COVID-19" as the common name for the new disease, not "China virus." Sorry this one didn't go the way you wanted, but what's the point of continuing to harp on it? Should we also keep complaining about how no one calls New York "New Amsterdam" anymore? Those poor Dutch!
Of course Trump called it the China virus and I believe he used it because he wanted to blame the Chinese government and stick it to the CCP. When the left wing media called him a racist for doing so it only encouraged him to stick with it.
AunBear89
Well, as long as he had a good reason...
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
sycasey
BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Of course Trump called it the China virus and I believe he used it because he wanted to blame the Chinese government and stick it to the CCP. When the left wing media called him a racist for doing so it only encouraged him to stick with it.

So the only motivation was to stick it to someone. Sounds great.
hanky1
Wow did the phrase 'China Virus' lead to so many black on yellow crime?

hanky1
Lol if this is true then yes...it should most def be called China virus.

Big C

As Bill Maher said tonight, "If you're a Democrat, you think it started in a market; if you're a Republican, you think it started in a lab... which is such bulls**t!" (referring to the politicization of issues that shouldn't be political)

So true. Could've been either. I'm a democrat though, so I'll say "market".
BearForce2
hanky1 said:

That is some crazy batshat coming from the CDC. But he might be right, CCP is going to rule the world.
dajo9
hanky1 said:

Only dementia addled fools believe things based on these Trump idiots
American Vermin
B.A. Bearacus
Fairly confident hanky1 has no issues with people telling Asian Americans to "go back to China." I mean, that's where their ancestors are from.
okaydo
hanky1 said:

HAHAHA.

It's just like hanky to give credence to the CDC director who has a history of misrepresenting vaccine data going back to the early 90s and who was abysmal in his handling of the COVID crisis.

But then again, hanky touted the benefits of hydroclorixwhatchamacallit.

Next thing you know, hanky will be touting Dr. Oz's comments.
hanky1
okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

HAHAHA.

It's just like hanky to give credence to the CDC director who has a history of misrepresenting vaccine data going back to the early 90s and who was abysmal in his handling of the COVID crisis.

It is a THEORY and it is certainly possible. Is there solid evidence? No. But it should be explored until it is ruled out.

You know what else is a theory w no evidence? That the virus originated in a wet market and yet the media and you are 100% ok repeating this THEORY with no evidence.

The only thing that is FACT about this viruses origins is that it originated in CHINA.
Eastern Oregon Bear
B.A. Bearacus said:

Fairly confident hanky1 has no issues with people telling Asian Americans to "go back to China." I mean, that's where their ancestors are from.
Am I going to have to go back to England? My wife would have to go to Italy and that might cause us some issues. Also, our cats have been American for many generations. I'd hate to leave them behind in their golden years.
concordtom
hanky1 said:

Racist.
concordtom
hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

HAHAHA.

It is a THEORY and it is certainly possible. Is there solid evidence? No. But it should be explored until it is ruled out.

You know what else is a theory w no evidence? That the virus originated in a wet market and yet the media and you are 100% ok repeating this THEORY with no evidence.

The only thing that is FACT about this viruses origins is that it originated in CHINA.

I'm completely uninspired.
I'm completely turned off.
Not looking forward to meeting you.
hanky1
B.A. Bearacus said:

Lazy oblique personal attack
hanky1
concordtom said:

hanky1 said:

Racist.
I find it racist when non-POC call POC racist because they want to push a narrative
hanky1
concordtom said:

hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

HAHAHA.

I'm completely uninspired.
I'm completely turned off.
Not looking forward to meeting you.
What part of my response was incorrect? No body knows where the virus originated from and every theory should be fully explored and yet it's 'racist' to explore a very plausible theory?

Who's the one that believe in science now?
hanky1
Yeah this was a year ago funny how they stopped pushing this investigation as soon as the woke mob started screaming racism because the appearance of not being racist is more important than getting to the truth about where this started

hanky1
B.A. Bearacus
How many head stomps of elderly Asian women going to church does it take for hanky1 to give up his crusade to make China Virus an accepted term is the new how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.
Unit2Sucks
B.A. Bearacus said:

How many head stomps of elderly Asian women going to church does it take for hanky1 to give up his crusade to make China Virus an accepted term is the new how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.
Dude dude. Hanky isn't a racist, he just says racist things in order to offend people. Totally different? You can't see what's in Hanky's heart. For all we know he is the least racist person out there, like Trump. The real racists are the people who don't say racist things about people and anyone who opposes racism. Those people are the worst. amirite Hanky?
hanky1
Unit2Sucks said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Dude dude. Hanky isn't a racist, he just says racist things in order to offend people. Totally different? You can't see what's in Hanky's heart. For all we know he is the least racist person out there, like Trump. The real racists are the people who don't say racist things about people and anyone who opposes racism. Those people are the worst. amirite Hanky?

Yes you are right
BearForce2
hanky1
Too much sciencing

Published in one of the world's most prestigious journals no less.

Science

BearForce2
hanky1
Brazilian variant
Indian variant
South African variant

Chinese variant "that's racist!!!!"
B.A. Bearacus
hanky1 said:

Brazilian variant
Indian variant
South African variant

Frankly, you speak like a five-year-old trying to understand how the world works. Also, you just invented the term "Chinese variant" to make a point the way a five-year-old would.
hanky1
B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

Brazilian variant
Indian variant
South African variant

Frankly, you speak like a five-year-old trying to understand how the world works. Also, you just invented the term "Chinese variant" to make a point the way a five-year-old would.

Sorry my mistake. It's the 'Chinese Virus' not 'Chinese Variant'.

The proper description of these variants should be:

Brazilian Variant of the Chinese Virus
South African Variant of the Chinese Virus
Indian Variant of the Chinese Virus

hanky1
BearForce2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.