COVID disappears Nov 4th?

129,399 Views | 1376 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks said:

Looks like we might pass 2k deaths today for the first time since the first week of May
we? signed, 1/16 cherokee

okaydo

bearister
Some people just need to get sick and die to learn the difference between fact and nonsense and I'm good with that. Real good.

COVID Truthers Try to Invade Utah Valley Hospital Where Patrice Grossman Died

https://www.thedailybeast.com/covid-truthers-try-to-invade-utah-valley-hospital-where-patrice-grossman-died
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
chazzed
COVID-19 is just the flu, right hanky1? Right, Cal88?
hanky1
Big C said:

hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Another sad superspreader event. Unfortunately it won't be the last.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-11-12/covid-19-spread-at-thanksgiving-holiday-gatherings-could-be-like-maine-wedding

Quote:

If you want to know why public health officials are so nervous about how much worse the COVID-19 pandemic will get as the holiday season unfolds, consider what happened after a single, smallish wedding reception that took place this summer in rural Maine.

Only 55 people attended the Aug. 7 reception at the Big Moose Inn in Millinocket. But one of those guests arrived with a coronavirus infection. Over the next 38 days, the virus spread to 176 other people. Seven of them died.

None of the victims who lost their lives had attended the party.

In a new report, investigators from the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention explain how a well-meaning celebration with family and friends wound up causing so much suffering and death throughout the state in such a short period of time.

Liberals want to take away Thanksgiving and Christmas. They'll say it's just for one year, but who knows when it will end? Which exactly is the group that desires authoritarianism?

Don't forget dessert! We want to take away dessert, too. People don't need it. The tax payers can provide people with a sugar-free, plant-based alternative, instead. In fact, Governor Newsom tried one at the French Laundry... said it was quite adequate.

I know you're joking but the joke is on you: city of Berkeley banned soft drinks a few years ago. Lol. Just another example of liberals telling people how to live their lives. If someone wants to drink Coke and get diabetes they should have every right.

Who's supports authoritarianism again ?
hanky1
chazzed said:

hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-11-12/covid-19-spread-at-thanksgiving-holiday-gatherings-could-be-like-maine-wedding

Quote:

If you want to know why public health officials are so nervous about how much worse the COVID-19 pandemic will get as the holiday season unfolds, consider what happened after a single, smallish wedding reception that took place this summer in rural Maine.

Only 55 people attended the Aug. 7 reception at the Big Moose Inn in Millinocket. But one of those guests arrived with a coronavirus infection. Over the next 38 days, the virus spread to 176 other people. Seven of them died.

In a new report, investigators from the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention explain how a well-meaning celebration with family and friends wound up causing so much suffering and death throughout the state in such a short period of time.

Liberals want to take away Thanksgiving and Christmas. They'll say it's just for one year, but who knows when it will end? Which exactly is the group that desires authoritarianism?

Ooh, I'll play: The group that rips children from their parents at the border, gerrymanders in order to have minority rule, wants to dictate what a woman can do with her body, and clears out peaceful protesters with force so that their leader can get a propaganda photo opp?

If you want to lock yourself in a closet until there are 20 different vaccines, then please do so. You have every right to do so.

You will never get COVID if you do so.

What gives you the right to force anyone else in a closet?

If someone goes out and lives life then they should have that right as long as they understand the (minuscule) risk it represents.

Who's the authoritarianist again?
hanky1
Big C said:

hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Quote:

Don't forget dessert! We want to take away dessert, too. People don't need it. The tax payers can provide people with a sugar-free, plant-based alternative, instead. In fact, Governor Newsom tried one at the French Laundry... said it was quite adequate.

Also I've been to French Laundry.

Save your money. Overrated.
hanky1
Unit2Sucks said:

Quote:

Ban Thanksgiving!!!! Take it away!
Big C
hanky1 said:

Big C said:

hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Quote:

I know you're joking but the joke is on you: city of Berkeley banned soft drinks a few years ago. Lol. Just another example of liberals telling people how to live their lives. If someone wants to drink Coke and get diabetes they should have every right.

Who's supports authoritarianism again ?

Did they ban soft drinks, or just put an extra tax on them? I'm all for that tax: These two-liter bottles of soda for $2... we OUGHT to be skimming a little revenue there. Call it authoritarianism, call it nanny-state: i don't care. I call it a sensible policy in which society benefits.
BearChemist
Funny that no one clamor for Sweden's approach anymore.
okaydo
hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Quote:

Ban Thanksgiving!!!! Take it away!

Thanksgiving isn't bad. I'm celebrating Thanksgiving with my family next week in Los Angeles. And the LAPD isn't going to arrest us.
Anarchistbear
New York Sheriffs say they won't enforce Cuono's 10 person cap on Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving Resistance!
BearChemist
Janky, why does Trump's CDC want to take Thanksgiving away?

bearister
BearChemist said:

I am, but for Red states only.
concordtom
Sent this to my mother-in-law, from SD. Her family is still there and some of them post on FB how masks are an infringement on their freedom.

Looking at Covid stats on John Hopkins' website. Specifically, positivity rate. 5% is the threshold that has long been referenced - anything greater than that tells researchers that the virus is spreading rapidly.

As you may have heard, the national average just crossed 10%. California is at 5%.

I looked at which states had the highest % of tests coming back as positive:

Wyoming is 62.9%
S. Dakota is 57.5%
Iowa is 51.7%
Kansas is 43.8%

Those are simply astounding figures.
dimitrig
concordtom said:

Sent this to my mother-in-law, from SD. Her family is still there and some of them post on FB how masks are an infringement on their freedom.

Looking at Covid stats on John Hopkins' website. Specifically, positivity rate. 5% is the threshold that has long been referenced - anything greater than that tells researchers that the virus is spreading rapidly.

As you may have heard, the national average just crossed 10%. California is at 5%.

Wyoming is 62.9%
S. Dakota is 57.5%
Iowa is 51.7%
Kansas is 43.8%

Could it be because the only people getting tested are people with symptoms?

In places like CA where we take it seriously lots of people are getting tested regularly regardless of how they feel because their job requires it or because they want to protect their loved ones.

In places that see COVID-19 as a hoax maybe people only get tested once they show up at a doctor.

BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Wyoming is 62.9%
S. Dakota is 57.5%
Iowa is 51.7%
Kansas is 43.8%

In places like CA where we take it seriously lots of people are getting tested regularly regardless of how they feel because their job requires it or because they want to protect their loved ones.

In places that see COVID-19 as a hoax maybe people only get tested once they show up at a doctor.

That can make some difference but nothing like 5% to 62%. Not even close. Those figures are disastrous.
dimitrig
OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Wyoming is 62.9%
S. Dakota is 57.5%
Iowa is 51.7%
Kansas is 43.8%

That can make some difference but nothing like 5% to 62%. Not even close. Those figures are disastrous.

I think it absolutely can make a difference that large if (and I am not saying I know this is true) only people with symptoms are being tested.

However, I think you are right and this is not the case here - at least in the one state I chose to look at which is SD:

In SD the population is 884,659. This is about the size of SF whose population is 883,305.

SF has been seeing about 100 new cases each day. With a 5% positivity rate that means about 2000 tests are administered each day. SD is seeing 1300 new cases each day. To have a positivity rate of 57% that means about 2300 tests are administered each day in SD so people in both places are getting tested about as often.

chazzed
BearChemist said:

BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Wyoming is 62.9%
S. Dakota is 57.5%
Iowa is 51.7%
Kansas is 43.8%

I think it absolutely can make a difference that large if (and I am not saying I know this is true) only people with symptoms are being tested.

However, I think you are right and this is not the case here - at least in the one state I chose to look at which is SD:

In SD the population is 884,659. This is about the size of SF whose population is 883,305.

SF has been seeing about 100 new cases each day. With a 5% positivity rate that means about 2000 tests are administered each day. SD is seeing 1300 new cases each day. To have a positivity rate of 57% that means about 2300 tests are administered each day in SD so people in both places are getting tested about as often.

I could design a logic question where yes, it is theoretically possible, but there is no real world situation where a place that has a 5% positivity rate has the same community spread as a place that has a 62% positivity rate.

In addition, I would point out that you are only accounting for one of he variables. To use SF and SD as an example, as you show, SF has 100 new cases and SD has 1300 new cases dealing with raw numbers. You are missing the fact that sick people in both places are more likely to get tested. That is why at some point the numbers won't equal out. SF would have to be missing at least 1200 cases. That would mean 1200 people with symptoms aren't getting tested. That is highly unlikely. In both locations the sickest are going to be the first to get tested.

Yes, it is possible that SD could have been testing 50 people and coming up with 31 positives and SF was testing 600 people and coming up with 31 positives, but that is not a real world situation and a easy look at SD's raw numbers made it obviously not the case.
Big C
BearChemist said:

Dr. Atlas (from the Hoover Institution at Stanford) is openly questioning why Sweden has gotten so soft all of a sudden. He's challenging them to rise up and channel their inner-Viking, like they did in their "glory months", earlier this year.
Unit2Sucks
re positive test rate, also worth remembering that there are a lot of presymptomatic or asymptomatic cases.
bearister
Coronavirus is evolving. Whether it gets deadlier or not may depend on us

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/19/coronavirus-evolving-deadlier-evidence-social-distancing-covid-19?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
hanky1
For those of you who enjoy perspective...
...or not. Just continue to freak out and demand authoritarianism.

bearister
Do they have a stat on Young Republican suicides? It seems to be their primary obsession, as opposed to wearing masks and social distancing.
In Sturgis it appeared to be suicide by motorcycle rally. How is that blended into the stats?
hanky1
bearister said:

Do they have a stat on Young Republican suicides? It seems to be their primary obsession, as opposed to wearing masks and social distancing.
In Sturgis it appeared to be suicide by motorcycle rally. How is that blended into the stats?

339 deaths for those under 60 w/o pre-existing conditions.

You know what you call COVID for that demographic?
The common cold.
AunBear89
So your go to source on the pandemic is a celebrity chef in the UK?

What - Bobby Flay didn't have an opinion?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
hanky1 said:

bearister said:

The common cold.

Well, I know why Sweden is doing what it's doing: The government is on the hook for footing the care bill for the elderly, so why not do some trimming. Now the optics are so bad they are backing off.
sycasey
hanky1 said:

bearister said:

The common cold.
The problem is not that young people will die. The problem is that young, healthy people pass it on to older or sicker people and create a bigger public health crisis.

This is not about caring for yourself, it's about having consideration for your fellow man.
AunBear89
Consider to whom you are talking: Republican. Does not care about his fellow man. Only cares about his 401K but says he's concerned about Liberty or Freedom. Virtue signaling at its best.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
sycasey
AunBear89 said:

Consider to whom you are talking: Republican. Does not care about his fellow man. Only cares about his 401K but says he's concerned about Liberty or Freedom. Virtue signaling at its best.

He's not really a Republican, just a s***-disturber.
chazzed
sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

The common cold.
The problem is not that young people will die. The problem is that young, healthy people pass it on to older or sicker people and create a bigger public health crisis.

This is not about caring for yourself, it's about having consideration for your fellow man.

Also, in some cases (including young, healthy people with the illness), COVID-19 leaves lingering problems that we do not fully understand at this point.
okaydo
AunBear89 said:

So your go to source on the pandemic is a celebrity chef in the UK?

What - Bobby Flay didn't have an opinion?

hey -- she's good. I depend on her for my makeup tips.

Unit2Sucks
hanky1 said:

bearister said:

The common cold.
What does that have to do with the US?

Also, how many of the people who committed suicide had a pre-existing condition? Seems like being suicidal is a pretty big condition.

Seems odd to discuss specific numbers from some other place when we have US numbers and we know they are very different. In the US we've had ~40k deaths of people under 54 years old and ~100k under 65. Those numbers are just going to keep going up.
okaydo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.