COVID disappears Nov 4th?

121,009 Views | 1376 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

This was a good scientific explainer on why COVID-19 was harder on adults than on kids (something people here found hard to understand at times):

Basically, when you're young your immune system is really agile and able to quickly adapt to new viruses. As you get older it becomes less so, but because you've already faced a bunch of viruses in your life your body is able to draw upon its prior experience in fighting similar ones, so you don't get sick from common colds as often. I might compare this to an athlete, where you actually might have your best speed and agility as a teenager, but you have little experience at playing the game so you make a lot of mistakes. Then you lose physical ability as you age but can use veteran savvy to keep competing. If you're both forced to compete in a brand new game, though, the younger athlete would probably have the advantage.

That's the problem when you introduce a totally new "novel" virus and older immune systems have no experience with it. Old people get destroyed by it, until a vaccine can teach their systems how to fight it. Kids, with their more agile immune systems, are less affected because more of them were able to adapt naturally and fight it off. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be vaccinated, because SOME kids might still get it and be at risk. But it does explain the different responses in age groups.

Didn't a lot of young people die from the Spanish Flu of 1918-1920? How does this explainer account for that?
(not sure about kids, but pretty sure about younger people, in general)

Just asking. My bad if this was explained deep inside the "explainer".

It doesn't talk about Spanish Flu. That's a good question.

Would love to understand why some of the newer variants have been harder on kids than the base virus.
BearForce2

More rules for thee but not for we.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
sycasey
Big C said:

sycasey said:

This was a good scientific explainer on why COVID-19 was harder on adults than on kids (something people here found hard to understand at times):

Basically, when you're young your immune system is really agile and able to quickly adapt to new viruses. As you get older it becomes less so, but because you've already faced a bunch of viruses in your life your body is able to draw upon its prior experience in fighting similar ones, so you don't get sick from common colds as often. I might compare this to an athlete, where you actually might have your best speed and agility as a teenager, but you have little experience at playing the game so you make a lot of mistakes. Then you lose physical ability as you age but can use veteran savvy to keep competing. If you're both forced to compete in a brand new game, though, the younger athlete would probably have the advantage.

That's the problem when you introduce a totally new "novel" virus and older immune systems have no experience with it. Old people get destroyed by it, until a vaccine can teach their systems how to fight it. Kids, with their more agile immune systems, are less affected because more of them were able to adapt naturally and fight it off. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be vaccinated, because SOME kids might still get it and be at risk. But it does explain the different responses in age groups.

Didn't a lot of young people die from the Spanish Flu of 1918-1920? How does this explainer account for that?

I looked up some stuff on the Spanish Flu myself. Of course it's hard to say for something this far in the past, but the group most strangely affected (besides babies and very old people who are usually most vulnerable to the flu) was young adults.

Per Wikipedia, the theory here is that middle-aged people had already been exposed to the previous pandemic, the Russian Flu, and that this was probably a similar strain. That actually fits in with the above theory pretty well.

And also, different viruses are different. You can't predict exactly how it will go until you see it in the wild. But at least the model gives us an idea why kids have been able to survive COVID-19 fairly well. This time it happened to be an almost totally new kind of coronavirus that older immune systems were not prepared for.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

It doesn't talk about Spanish Flu. That's a good question.

Would love to understand why some of the newer variants have been harder on kids than the base virus.
I believe the "curve" on those variants still favors the oldest people being the most vulnerable (once you control for how many have been vaccinated in each age group), but since they are more transmissible you'll see more people affected across the board, including kids.
Big C
sycasey said:

Big C said:

sycasey said:

I looked up some stuff on the Spanish Flu myself. Of course it's hard to say for something this far in the past, but the group most strangely affected (besides babies and very old people who are usually most vulnerable to the flu) was young adults.

Per Wikipedia, the theory here is that middle-aged people had already been exposed to the previous pandemic, the Russian Flu, and that this was probably a similar strain. That actually fits in with the above theory pretty well.

And also, different viruses are different. You can't predict exactly how it will go until you see it in the wild. But at least the model gives us an idea why kids have been able to survive COVID-19 fairly well. This time it happened to be an almost totally new kind of coronavirus that older immune systems were not prepared for.

good homework, sycasey
Unit2Sucks
Has anyone posted the 2020 GDP growth numbers yet? I thought the state by state breakdown was pretty interesting. Honestly given how effed up the whole year was, I'm surprised GDP fell by as little as it did.

[url=https://www.bea.gov/news/2021/gross-domestic-product-state-4th-quarter-2020-and-annual-2020-preliminary][/url]
dimitrig
Unit2Sucks said:

Has anyone posted the 2020 GDP growth numbers yet? I thought the state by state breakdown was pretty interesting. Honestly given how effed up the whole year was, I'm surprised GDP fell by as little as it did.

[url=https://www.bea.gov/news/2021/gross-domestic-product-state-4th-quarter-2020-and-annual-2020-preliminary][/url]

Just eyeballing the chart it looks like there was no correlation between whether a state stayed locked down or opened up quickly.
Unit2Sucks
dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Just eyeballing the chart it looks like there was no correlation between whether a state stayed locked down or opened up quickly.
We are an interconnected economy, both domestically and globally.

The other piece that the covid deniers seem to gloss over is that "lockdown" didn't define behavior it just set a floor. People still wore masks and reduced their mobility in states/municipalities with laxer rules. I can't find any comprehensive data on it, but restaurants in every state suffered during the peak of the pandemic, even when the restrictions were less severe.

Although it was a global pandemic, it impacted different areas based on their unique demographics, population density, development of variants, etc. It seems likely that the development of the CA variant in socal had a major impact on the course of the pandemic during the winter and it didn't impact other states in the same way due to the reduction of travel.
BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
calpoly
dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Certainly ruins the narrative of LMK5!
BearForce2
dajo9
"China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!"

President Donald J. Trump
American Vermin
dajo9
BearForce2 said:

Another good move by Biden. No reason to engage in an effort to prove anything one way or the other. The effort should be to gather information and get informed, regardless of the answer.
American Vermin
bearister

Data: CSSE Johns Hopkins University. Map: Andrew Witherspoon/Axios
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
What in God's green acre is the world response if the pandemic is parked at China's doorstep?

The hypothetical: What would we do if a foreign actor "accidentally" dropped a nuke on Baltimore killing the entire population (which approximates the number of U.S. Covid deaths). It appears to be a question unique in the history of our country.

What is Putin's answer to the same question?

Probable answer: The Illuminati makes too much money from China. Collateral damage is the cost of doing business. None of the RRGs or their family members died.
dimitrig
bearister said:

What in God's green acre is the world response if the pandemic is parked at China's doorstep?

The hypothetical: What would we do if a foreign actor "accidentally" dropped a nuke on Baltimore killing the entire population (which approximates the number of U.S. Covid deaths). It appears to be a question unique in the history of our country.

Probable answer: The Illuminati makes too much money from China. Collateral damage is the cost of doing business. None of the RRGs or their family members died.

What happened when the US dropped a nuke on Japan killing lots of innocent civilians in the process?

Yes, we were at a state of war, but it was still an atrocity.

dajo9
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

What happened when the US dropped a nuke on Japan killing lots of innocent civilians in the process?

Yes, we were at a state of war, but it was still an atrocity.

No it wasn't
American Vermin
smh
bearister said:

None of the RRGs or their family members died.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/RRGB?.tsrc=applewf

rrg?
AunBear89
Really Rich Guys?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
AunBear89 said:

Really Rich Guys?

Correct.....and while we are on that subject:

"Many corporate boards made mid-pandemic changes to the intricate formulas that determine CEO pay, with directors declaring that COVID was an extraordinary event beyond executives' control, AP's Stan Cohoe reports.

Why it matters: As a result, pay packages rose last year for CEOs of the biggest companies, even though the pandemic sent the economy to its worst quarter on record.
The median pay package for a CEO at an S&P 500 company hit $12.7 million in 2020, according to data analyzed for AP by Equilar. (That means half of the 342 CEOs in the survey made more, and half made less.)

61% of the CEOs got a boost in compensation last year.
How it works: Several CEOs took high-profile salary cuts as an act of shared sacrifice. Roughly one of every five CEOs in this year's survey had a smaller salary for 2020 than the year before.

But salary is often a minor piece of a CEO's total compensation, which is derived from notoriously complex formulas. Each year, companies fill pages of their proxy statements with charts and footnotes showing how the bulk of their CEO's pay rises and falls with corporate performance.
That nuanced area is where many companies adjusted levers" Axios
BearForce2

People are still dying and Democrats want to reopen?
Am I doing this right?
AunBear89
You haven't done anything right since you've joined this board.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
World anxiously waits to see where Biden will send America's vaccines - Axios

https://www.axios.com/biden-donate-coronavirus-doses-which-countries-c9919893-ba9f-49d6-a0b5-f9e1d5b7a2d8.html
okaydo
Big C

As far as what to do with our "extra" vaccines, it seems pretty obvious to me to start out by helping Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. I mean, Monroe didn't have a Doctrine for nothing.

I'd like to also take a moment out to send a big "F-U!" to all Americans over the age of 18 who haven't gotten vaccinated yet. Because this thing could be almost over and done with by now, were it not for you.
hanky1
I told you guys he was a hussy

bearister

Data: The COVID Tracking Project, CSSE Johns Hopkins University, state health departments. Map: Andrew Witherspoon, Michelle McGhee/Axios

"For the past 56 weeks, this Axios map has tracked the state-by-state change and, usually, the increase in new COVID-19 infections.

Now, with new cases at their lowest since March 2020, it's: Bye, bye!
America's case counts are now so low, and the virus is so well contained, that this is our final weekly map, Axios' Sam Baker and Andrew Witherspoon report.

The U.S. averaged roughly 16,500 new cases per day over the past week, a 30% improvement over the week before. New cases declined in 43 states and held steady in the other seven.
The official case counts haven't been this low since Americans went into lockdown in March last year when inadequate testing meant that cases were undercounted.
The U.S. has finally gotten the virus down to fewer than 20,000 cases per day, spread across 331.5 million people.

New York is averaging 800 new cases per day, in a state of some 20 million people.
Washington, D.C., has about 28 new cases per day.
The bottom line: The vaccines work." Axios

bearister
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.

Nepal Covid variant has been detected in the US, expert claims

https://mol.im/a/9649733
bearister
The Jon Rahm incident today affirms the fact that THIS AIN'T OVER YET.
Big C

This parade of variants that "could evade vaccines more easily" are starting to bore me. Wake me up when I'm intubated.
sycasey
Big C said:

This parade of variants that "could evade vaccines more easily" are starting to bore me. Wake me up when I'm intubated.

None of them have been demonstrated to actually evade the vaccines, so yeah, I'm not freaking out yet.
hanky1
You worship false gods

Funny his credible was shot w me a long time ago because of common sense. What other conspiracy theory that hanky1 believed in will turn out to be true or the common viewpoint?
hanky1
71% of one side of the country is stupid

dimitrig
hanky1 said:

99% of the other side is stupid
BearForce2
dimitrig said:

hanky1 said:

99% of the other side is stupid

99% of your side is brainwashed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.