Meanwhile in capital hill

105,859 Views | 1277 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by concordtom
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chris Pratt's father in law shares this video.

LMK5
okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

He has a gun on his hip. Time to draw it out of the holster at least.

They ain't afraid of a lone cop with a gun. That woman who died had guns pointing at her.

He shoots one or two of them, they rest will take him down.
The question is: What does his training tell him to do in this situation? It probably isn't "walk backwards with haste."
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
okaydo
LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

They ain't afraid of a lone cop with a gun. That woman who died had guns pointing at her.

The question is: What does his training tell him to do in this situation? It probably isn't "walk backwards with haste."

As the reporting suggests, he was trying to get them to follow him to follow him in the *wrong* direction.

okaydo
concordtom
dajo9 said:

okaydo said:

Ari Fleischer is profa
Yes, I saw Fleischer's attempt to justify hate and violence (wrongly so as it was) and decided he's on my NO list.
concordtom
Colin Powell is saying some good words on CNN's Fareid Zakaria Sunday show right now.
Of note, that he is not a Republican anymore, that Trump needs to go, that Biden and the full Democrat government will be able to take us to positive places. He is very concerned about the Republicans who continue the lie, and recommends they simply STOP this path they've been on - go into the private sector if you can't uphold your oath.
concordtom
Having lived and worked in DC, I think that the entire March On The Mall thing may be up for massive revision. How can we afford to have certain groups gather in mass numbers again?

I would expect that there could be a massive security perimeter built around certain buildings. A defensible perimeter from C Streets and 3rd Streets perhaps, able to raise and lower OR open and close OR truck in and out. An unclimbable "mob-wall".

The GOP believes in a wall - I think we need to wall them in.

Or how about purchasing 100 of these trucks that can drive in, line up, and form a riot perimeter wall.

Unit2Sucks
LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

That's the first question that you have?
okaydo
The Arnold video posted 4 hours ago and already has nearly 6 million views.

Anyways, I'm glad his name appears on my diploma.
okaydo

Unit2Sucks
Anyone surprised we haven't heard from Golden One, bearlyamazing, BearGoggles or Cal88? I applaud LMK5 and Minot for continuing to post but wonder where their fellow conservatives ran off to.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
going4roses
dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

They not black enough?
going4roses
Is he really?
going4roses
okaydo said:

America needs to wash rinse and repeat
okaydo
bearister
"Those who say we should "look forward" to a new administration and forget or dismiss what occurred last week are delusional. Unless all who participated in or abetted the attempted overthrow of the US government are held accountable, it will happen again. Next time it may succeed."

Trump attempted a coup: he must be removed while those who aided him pay
Trump attempted a coup: he must be removed while those who aided him pay

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/10/trump-coup-capitol-attack-pence-giuliani-fox-news-twitter-facebook-impeachment?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo

sycasey
okaydo said:

The Republican Party cannot be rehabilitated.
okaydo
sycasey said:

okaydo said:

And people are saying this morning that Arnold is a Republican. He's barely a Republican. He's friends with Greta Thunberg!

okaydo
Fun fact: I grew up watching Hugh Hewitt on our local PBS station and listening to his Sunday night show on KFI AM 640.

golden sloth
concordtom said:

Having lived and worked in DC, I think that the entire March On The Mall thing may be up for massive revision. How can we afford to have certain groups gather in mass numbers again?

I would expect that there could be a massive security perimeter built around certain buildings. A defensible perimeter from C Streets and 3rd Streets perhaps, able to raise and lower OR open and close OR truck in and out. An unclimbable "mob-wall".

The GOP believes in a wall - I think we need to wall them in.

Or how about purchasing 100 of these trucks that can drive in, line up, and form a riot perimeter wall.

After doing a quick 5 minute google maps check of the site, greater security could be achieved relatively easily and without completely losing the design intent from L'Enfant. For my Master's I was focused more on London riots as I was living there at the time, but what they did in Trafalgar Square was to have a goal of spreading people out. The man in charge was Napolean slayer the Duke of Wellington (he didn't design, but was the government head). They achieved this in a few ways:

1. And this isn't relevant to the Capitol, but the reason Trafalgar Square was built was as a response to the French revolution when the masses of the poor took over Pairs. Therefore, the British authorities wanted to clear out the slums near Whitehall which houses both 10 Downing Street, the Houses of Parliament, and a bunch of other government buildings. They thought an open space memorializing the British Empire would create national unity and identity while removing questionable people (aka poor) from the area.

2. Trafalgar was built with large fountains, high walls on two sides, big statues and plenty of bollards all with the intent to reduce the number of people that could congregate (the statues and fountains) and limit the speed of their movements (the bollards and high walls which controlled access and egress).

3. If needed the numbers are too great to pin in Traflagar Square, the police are able to barricade the streets around the square (specifically access to Whitehall), but that would mean giving up on protecting the private property around the square. Or they can push them away from Whitehall into greater London as with the Poll Tax Riots.

4. They also designed it so that police reinforcements could be hidden but close by to be called in if needed. The idea was to maintain the appearance of a balance of power between the protesters and the police, because when one side feels outnumbered and threatened that is when the violence starts. In this instance, the Mall (in London) and the Horse Guards Parade were where the police reinforcements were housed.

The Square acts as a political space that can be easily contained. In fact, when there was violence, it was during the construction of the square in 1838 (hence the previous construction site comment), or primarily occurred on the streets outside the square as during the Poll Tax Riots. Unfortunately during the Poll Taxes, the numbers of protesters was far greater than anyone anticipated, and a building on the square was having the facade redone, hence there was a multi-story scaffolding structure complete with construction materials which the protesters climbed and then used as projectiles, which the undermanned police freaked out at and called for the calvary.to come in and clear the square. There was also a flashpoint in front of 10 Downing, but that was quickly cleared.

If you are curious:

As for the Capitol building, it is in a relatively easily defensible position being elevated with only a few points of access. Add some additional bollards in front or on the steps, and redo the facade so it is not so easily scalable or put a taller fence instead of a guardrail at the top to block access. In front of the steps add a feature which further narrows access (I'd prefer a fountain to help maintain the visual sight-lines in L'Enfants original intent). Nonetheless, the point is that it should be easily achievable without too much interference.

That and the police need to be better prepared, as I believe a lot of the issues start there and not with the design of the space.
sycasey
okaydo said:

sycasey said:

okaydo said:

And people are saying this morning that Arnold is a Republican. He's barely a Republican. He's friends with Greta Thunberg!

Arnold is a Republican without any worry about trying to win re-election, so he can actually tell the truth. The ones currently in power are too cowed by fear of the Trumpian base. The great majority of them have proven that they lack the courage to speak out against the rotten, anti-democratic base of their own party. Those that do have the courage (like Romney and Murkowski) should leave the party ASAP and throw their support to the opposition until a healthier conservative alternative emerges.
okaydo
For those of you who follow these things: Clay Travis and Jason Whitlock have broken up after this column.

okaydo

okaydo

dimitrig
okaydo said:

For those of you who follow these things: Clay Travis and Jason Whitlock have broken up after this column.

Quote from Jaylen Brown in there:

"It reminds me of what Dr. Martin Luther King has said, that there's two split different Americas," Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown told reporters. "In one America, you get killed by sleeping in your car, selling cigarettes or playing in your backyard. And then in another America, you get to storm the Capitol and no tear gas, no massive arrests, none of that."

P.S. This Whitlock guy is a putz.

OBear073akaSMFan
okaydo said:

Better suck it up Trumpf. You might need Mr. Clean to pardon yaw! Looking forward to Mr Clean "F you" moron!
Sebastabear
okaydo said:

sycasey said:

okaydo said:

Arnold represents the kind of idealist foreign national who came of age (politically) in America in the 80s and was attracted to the Republican brand. Self-sufficiency, patriotism and strength. How do you think those foreign idealists feel about Republicanism now? You think if Arnold showed up on our shores in the 2020s he'd proudly declare himself a Republican? The National Republican Party is doing to itself what the California Republican Party did to itself in the 90s. It's an absolute anathema to the Gen Z kids. Completely destroyed for an entire generation.
AunBear89
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
AunBear89
concordtom said:

Listened to the opening of Lou Dobbs' Friday night show.
He is simply filled with hate. His language is full of endless derision, insults - just for the sake of negativity.
These are the people that fuel the mob, and I don't know what to do about it.
It's a big problem.

BearFarce2 IS Lou Dobbs!
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
concordtom
okaydo said:

Chris Pratt's father in law shares this video.

His greatest speech and moment as an American.
concordtom
sycasey said:

Arnold is a Republican without any worry about trying to win re-election, so he can actually tell the truth.
The truth is that Arnold's Republican Party no longer exists. It's merely in name only.
So, it's simple for him to speak - nothing has changed in him - what has changed is that the Republican Party has turned insane, just like many Germans did. That's his whole point. He has a perspective from both.

And he offers a warning.
AunBear89
LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

Pssst, numbskull! Yeah, you LMK5. I doubt very much that his training had anything to do with "What to do when your fellow LEOs let their Proud Boy white nationalist Trump humping brothers storm the Capitol."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.