UC Aggies vs UC Bears Football Opener Game Thread

38,129 Views | 547 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by calumnus
kirklandblue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KenBurnski said:

Was Hunter the player that had suffered drop issues early on? He looks fantastic.

Don't remember the drops but yes he's showing he's got hands, could fill in nicely for the Hunter who's now gone.
Strykur
01Bear said:

Joegeo said:

Nice aggressiveness from Wilcox in the second half

Agreed, but the offensive playcalling is still not good. Fortunately, the other team is a FCS team.
Good enough for today anyway
cubzwin
typical to only show vanilla plays in opener against weak opponent. expect more against aubie
calumnus
Strykur said:

01Bear said:

Joegeo said:

Nice aggressiveness from Wilcox in the second half

Agreed, but the offensive playcalling is still not good. Fortunately, the other team is a FCS team.
Good enough for today anyway

We can hope Bloesch is showing vanilla so we can use misdirection against Auburn.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
Has anyone mentioned that we have a kicker that consistently kicks it into the end zone, *and* looks to be an accurate FG kicker? One bright spot.
touchdownbears43
Hunter looks to be legit
john.olsonjr
We look a lot better. I'm not any kind of optimistic, but we certainly look better.
Strykur
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

Has anyone mentioned that we have a kicker that consistently kicks it into the end zone, *and* looks to be an accurate FG kicker? One bright spot.
That gets us 2+ more wins last year
bearister
golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

calumnus said:

ThaCaliEnigma said:

Wilcox is a mediocre coach, but no coach will succeed without the school's support. I honestly don't know why the school wanted to remain a power 4 school. This school spent a ton of money on facilities but won't go all in on trying to become a football powerhouse. It's pure insanity.

What specifically do you think the school could be doing so that Wilcox wins more games?

I would look at the relative recruiting budgets. We haven't done well with OL in a decade plus

We had Top 10 offenses under Dykes. They gave our QBs plenty of time and our RBs had high per carry averages.

It isn't the recruiting budget.

Wilcox has had bad recruiters as OL and DL coaches mostly guys from Oregon (until Bloesch at OL last year).

Goff did not have plenty of time under dykes.

1.5 to 2 seconds and sacked on every other play. It helped to make him a good pro. He didn't have the USC QB "What do you mean I don't get 8 seconds" Syndrome.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
golden sloth
When do we pull the starters?
Strykur
golden sloth said:

When do we pull the starters?
After the next TD
Bear_Territory
Mendoza is better.
ncbears
Rogers with one bad and one good pass but does not move the team
Strykur
Man Rogers ain't it
01Bear
cubzwin said:

typical to only show vanilla plays in opener against weak opponent. expect more against aubie

Every year under Wilcox, we think the playbook will be opened up later, but we've been repeatedly disappointed. Why is that?

I posit the simple solution is that the playbook is just plain vanilla under Wilcox.
golden sloth
Props to Hunter and the slot receivers. Everyone else is not looking great.
Troll On You Bears
That QB keeper was so obvious
cubzwin
Little early to give up on Rogers maybe. Should get some mop up time at least
BearSD
Rogers has to show better judgment on that 4th down play. He should have read that the draw was not going to work, and run to the outside (or looked for a receiver).
01Bear
Strykur said:

Man Rogers ain't it

I think Wilcox really wants a running QB for some reason. But he can't recruit a running QB who can also pass. Instead of taking advantage of (and developing) Nando's pocket passing, he keeps trying to find someone to run an offense he wants. That's just bad coaching.
BearoutEast67
Rogers is giving me flashbacks to the first half of last season. Stay with Mendoza - or we'll get pounded by Auburn.
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
john.olsonjr
It's not his per se, as he's not the OC. And, he's not calling plays. To be sure, he has veto or overruling power I would imagine, so I put it on the OC. Under SPAV we put up yards and points… twice We did that to a certain extent under Tedford's regime as well, though it fell off with his later OCs, and if memory serves, at least at the beginning he played a much more integral role on O.
ncbears
Mendoza back in
Jeff82
Ott is still in uniform, but definitely limping. But he's also putting weight on the leg, standing and walking. I'd guess it's just a bruise or something else minor.
cubzwin
probably should stay with mendoza but expect auburn to pound us anyway. I'll be at the game. don't see how Cal can stop the auburn running game.
calumnus
bearister said:

golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

calumnus said:

ThaCaliEnigma said:

Wilcox is a mediocre coach, but no coach will succeed without the school's support. I honestly don't know why the school wanted to remain a power 4 school. This school spent a ton of money on facilities but won't go all in on trying to become a football powerhouse. It's pure insanity.

What specifically do you think the school could be doing so that Wilcox wins more games?

I would look at the relative recruiting budgets. We haven't done well with OL in a decade plus

We had Top 10 offenses under Dykes. They gave our QBs plenty of time and our RBs had high per carry averages.

It isn't the recruiting budget.

Wilcox has had bad recruiters as OL and DL coaches mostly guys from Oregon (until Bloesch at OL last year).

Goff did not have plenty of time under dykes.

1.5 to 2 seconds and sacked on every other play. It helped to make him a good pro. He didn't have the USC QB "What do you mean I don't get 8 seconds" Syndrome.

And broke the PAC-12 record for both passing yards 4,700+ and TDs (43) with net neutral rushing yards? I think you are thinking of his freshman year, That 2015 offense was a juggernaut. Yes, part of the beauty was that it was a quick play shotgun offense unlike Musgrave's drop back….

But look at the guys we had on the OL and tell me you would not swap them for our current OL in a heartbeat? https://calbears.com/sports/football/roster/2015
Strykur
Great kicking, punting, defense tightened up, offense...hm
BadNewsBear1
We have quick smaller RBs, no road graters on the OL, yet we continually run up the middle. Brilliant!
golden sloth
Send in the backups
Strykur
BadNewsBear1 said:

We have quick smaller RBs, no road graters on the OL, yet we continually run up the middle. Brilliant!
Going conservative at this point
Bearly Clad
OL really worries me. I know we're down McDonald and Vatikani but I haven't seen a single big hole opened up through the middle where we're trying to run it repeatedly. And this is an FCS opponent…
BearSD
ncbears said:

Mendoza back in

Had to do that to send a message to Rogers about his 4th down mistake. Players have to make plays.
BadNewsBear1
Strykur said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

Going conservative at this point

Been doing it all game though.
touchdownbears43
Nando's piss lazers totally ineffective with college WRs
01Bear
john.olsonjr said:

It's not his per se, as he's not the OC. And, he's not calling plays. To be sure, he has veto or overruling power I would imagine, so I put it on the OC. Under SPAV we put up yards and points… twice We did that to a certain extent under Tedford's regime as well, though it fell off with his later OCs, and if memory serves, at least at the beginning he played a much more integral role on O.

That's fair. But I don't think Spav really ran the types of offense Wilcox wanted. If anything, Spav seems to be the exception to the rule under Wilcox. Wilcox seems wedded to a running game including with a running QB. Or so his choice of OCs (based on the plays they ran/run at Cal) suggests.

I think Nando would definitely improve under Spav and an Air Raid offense, but Wilcox (and Bloesch) doesn't seem to want to play that way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.