UC Aggies vs UC Bears Football Opener Game Thread

38,144 Views | 547 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by calumnus
eabandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wilcox has the best orange slices and Gatorade
Goof Ball Bear
Looks like the D is blitzing more. But against this caliber of opponent, you'd like to think we wouldn't need to do a lot of that. At least they are stopping them for now.
Strykur
Every set play is being read
Grigsby
Literally *** is the OC doing
eabandit
Where is Trond Grizzell. He was a difference maker with Nando last year.
ThaCaliEnigma
Wilcox is a mediocre coach, but no coach will succeed without the school's support. I honestly don't know why the school wanted to remain a power 4 school. This school spent a ton of money on facilities but won't go all in on trying to become a football powerhouse. It's pure insanity.
bencgilmore
great to see mavin getting some run
BadNewsBear1
Good thing they're featuring Ott for that Heisman run
calumnus
eastbayyoungbear said:

calumnus said:

eastbayyoungbear said:

calumnus said:

blungld said:

This is not just reflexive Cal fan complaining, but has there been one interesting offensive play call? Everything just feels so expected and familiar and boring.

We saw the same thing in the Independence Bowl but were told Bloesch didn't have time to implement his brilliant offense oh, and the players had finals and Mendoza was hurt…

Bottom line is Wilcox ran Spavital off, was convinced his offense was the reason the defense was so bad and with the OL coach thought he could implement a boring, Wisconsin of a decade ago team without the dominant OL or DL.

That's not what happened and you saying it over and over again doesn't make it true.

I'm tired of the Wilcox apologists. Spavital did not intend to come back out to California for only a year.

Promoting Bloesch to OC for the bowl game when Spavital left made sense, but making it permanent before the game was lazy and reckless. If he was an in demand OC after North Texas he would not have taken the Cal OL job. Hopefully he turns out to be good, but the first 3 halves have been terrible.

It's been said over and over again that Spav leaving was due to personal reasons, not Wilcox forcing him out. The players, including Nando, vouched for Bloesch.

Has Nando ever said a bad word about anyone? He praised Musgrave, he praises Wilcox. Bottom line is he should not be making the call. He's a kid. Wilcox gets paid $5 million a year to be the head football coach. He did not even bother to do a search this time.
ncbears
That was all Ott! TD Bears!
john.olsonjr
The school is in conflict with itself. Some want a strong team to be proud of. Boosters, some administrators etc… see the stadium and facility upgrades and our NIL fund, others are fundamentally against those kinds of investments on anything but academics. See the Academic hamstring… requirements.
golden sloth
Great block by Anderson on the TD run.
movielover
Only Otts 9th carry. What's your OC smoking?
Big Dog
great WR block to spring Ott.
BadNewsBear1
Maybe they should run Ott for once?!?!
Joegeo
They are resting him before Auburn
GoOskie
The block and Ott run were beautiful.
cal93
Uh oh, Ott is getting benched for running outside the tackles
TBear56
ThaCaliEnigma said:

Wilcox is a mediocre coach, but no coach will succeed without the school's support. I honestly don't know why the school wanted to remain a power 4 school. This school spent a ton of money on facilities but won't go all in on trying to become a football powerhouse. It's pure insanity.

It's absolutely pure insanity. It's all about money. If they went to a lesser commerce, they would not make the revenue that they do playing in the ACC. This is basically the exact same thing I have been telling my dad for years. Why would you want to stay in a major conference and not put forth any effort to improve.
calumnus
ThaCaliEnigma said:

What specifically do you think the school could be doing so that Wilcox wins more games?
golden sloth
movielover said:

I understand not overusing Ott against a lower division team, but the other running backs (which is supposedly a deep room) need to get a chance.
touchdownbears43
GIVE OTT THE BALL AND ONLY GIVE HIM THE BALL
calumnus
john.olsonjr said:

The school is in conflict with itself. Some want a strong team to be proud of. Boosters, some administrators etc… see the stadium and facility upgrades and our NIL fund, others are fundamentally against those kinds of investments on anything but academics. See the Academic hamstring… requirements.

We have had Top 10 portal classes two years in a row now. No problem bringing in top rated guys.

It isn't academics, it's coaching.
Strykur
golden sloth said:

movielover said:

I understand not overusing Ott against a lower division team, but the other running backs (which is supposedly a deep room) need to get a chance.
Put the game away and then send out the other backs
cubzwin
have the played the other QB or just mendoza?
socaltownie
calumnus said:

ThaCaliEnigma said:

What specifically do you think the school could be doing so that Wilcox wins more games?

I would look at the relative recruiting budgets. We haven't done well with OL in a decade plus
Strykur
cubzwin said:

have the played the other QB or just mendoza?
Rogers had a series and did not do much
calumnus
Strykur said:

golden sloth said:

movielover said:

Or get Ott huge numbers and hype?

I would like to see The Jet get the ball outside in space.
Bear_Territory
These uniforms are so much better...even if they are incredibly generic (I think 30 other teams have the same kit). Though, I still think the 2022 Big Game "Axe" were our best uniforms in years.
Big Dog
Strykur said:

golden sloth said:

movielover said:

back in the old days, Tom Osborn got a lot of flack for running up the score, but he said he used to challenge his starters to get up big by halftime as it ws their duty to get off the field so the scout team members can get some PT. That they worked just as hard all year.
Troll On You Bears
Grizzel's gotta go up and high-point that ball
glb78
God dammit.
ncbears
And now Ott is hurt
Bear_Territory
golden sloth
It would be so Cal to have our top two running backs get injured in the opening game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.