UC Aggies vs UC Bears Football Opener Game Thread

38,133 Views | 547 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by calumnus
golden sloth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearSD said:

Two key plays in the Bears' favor in the first half: The kickoff return TD, and stopping Davis on 4th down at the Cal 2. Without those two plays, Davis would be leading 20-7.

Given the scoop and score, I disagree with your second point.
I Bear
That was absolutely the worst half of Cal football I've seen in years and we have sucked during those same years! Time for someone to write that big check to Wilcox n Knowlton and start over!
socaltownie
bearchamp said:

Just wondering, does Sabastabear know how to evaluate football talent? And how do we know?
One wonders. How are we not spending the vast majority of our NIL money on OL??? We haven't had a good oline since Tedford and....oh wow...that was the last time we were good. The alpha and omega of football is the guys in the trenches.
MinotStateBeav
I'm literally bored watching Cal play already...thats how bad it is
golden sloth
AEM80 said:

I think there are still 2 or 3 teams Cal might beat.

Ive been watching a lot of ACC teams this weekend. There is a lot of crap teams.
Strykur
JimSox said:

Where was Ott on the last drive. Just normal rest? Seems like an odd time.
We are getting cute and trying to save him for next week but he will need to go in the 2nd half given the score
calumnus
blungld said:

This is not just reflexive Cal fan complaining, but has there been one interesting offensive play call? Everything just feels so expected and familiar and boring.

We saw the same thing in the Independence Bowl but were told Bloesch didn't have time to implement his brilliant offense oh, and the players had finals and Mendoza was hurt…

Bottom line is Wilcox ran Spavital off, was convinced his offense was the reason the defense was so bad and with the OL coach thought he could implement a boring, Wisconsin of a decade ago team without the dominant OL or DL.
golden sloth
I Bear said:

That was absolutely the worst half of Cal football I've seen in years and we have sucked during those same years! Time for someone to write that big check to Wilcox n Knowlton and start over!

You clearly did not watch the Colorado game or the Arizona game.
ncbears
BearSD said:

Two key plays in the Bears' favor in the first half: The kickoff return TD, and stopping Davis on 4th down at the Cal 2. Without those two plays, Davis would be leading 20-7.

Well Davis scored after the fourth and two stop on the next play. So the score was only delayed and not denied. So only 13 for Davis
Joegeo
socaltownie said:

bearchamp said:

Just wondering, does Sabastabear know how to evaluate football talent? And how do we know?
One wonders. How are we not spending the vast majority of our NIL money on OL??? We haven't had a good oline since Tedford and....oh wow...that was the last time we were good. The alpha and omega of football is the guys in the trenches.
Good P4 offensive lineman cost a lot of $$$$
dajo9
Holmoephobic said:

The guys in the know really had the balls to call this Cal's most talented team under Wilcox.

You guys still falling for that schtick after over 20 years?
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
oskiswifeshusband
At least wail til the game finishes before you start name calling
BadNewsBear1
oskiswifeshusband said:

At least wail til the game finishes before you start name calling

How this game ends has no bearing on an idiotic prediction
glb78
j Larson (sp)? assistant /AD kind of sunshine pumping on the radio. Can't really blame the guy though. Interesting about the sideline change.

Go Bears!
sycasey
blungld said:

This is not just reflexive Cal fan complaining, but has there been one interesting offensive play call? Everything just feels so expected and familiar and boring.

This happens in our FCS game every year. Just how it goes with Wilcox.
DavisBear
Just boring, uninspired football. I'm at the game, crowd is hostile. Seems like we got kicked in the balls, everyone is just pissed. Lots of frustration after the off season buildup. Defense looks as bad or worse than last year. UCD has 16 first downs (we have 5)…
Cal88
Too many new players, team is out of sync.
oskiswifeshusband
False. Because the team would be 1-0, 9
More games to win
blungld
golden sloth said:

bearsandgiants said:

Bear_Territory said:

Why did we change QBs?

It was widely known that both would play. Mendoza should get the second half though.

Agreed

But last drive of the half was a bad call.
Econ141
sycasey said:

blungld said:

This happens in our FCS game every year. Just how it goes with Wilcox.

Which means nothing changes and expectations should be 5-6 games. Crowd looks decent enough given where things were yesterday.
BadNewsBear1
oskiswifeshusband said:

False. Because the team would be 1-0, 9
More games to win

Got me there lol
kirklandblue
Miami clobbering Florida; throw in Auburn and Fla. St. and as of now this next month is looking, shall we say, questionable?
blungld
Ott must be either hurt or pissed.
calumnus
blungld said:

golden sloth said:

bearsandgiants said:

Bear_Territory said:

Why did we change QBs?

It was widely known that both would play. Mendoza should get the second half though.

Agreed

But last drive of the half was a bad call.

Yes, planning to play both QBs in the first half under the assumption we would be having our way with Davis and have lots of opportunities needed to be modified based on the current reality.

Not impressed with Bloesch at all. So far this game reminds me of the Independence Bowl. He wants to play power football but his line can't even do that against an FCS team. So he just sticks with it. Seems like another Musgrave like hire.

Hopefully he proves me wrong with halftime adjustments. Maybe he was saving the misdirection for Auburn?
glb78
kirklandblue said:

Miami clobbering Florida; throw in Auburn and Fla. St. and as of now this next month is looking, shall we say, questionable?
I we can get Miami at Oracle in the rain we might have a chance.
BadNewsBear1
Cal88 said:

If that was really the issue
Grigsby
Tedford beat UC Davis 52-3 with a 5-7 team ... just saying
DavisBear
Quite a few people are packing up and heading out. Just hard to watch this performance
BadNewsBear1
DavisBear said:

Quite a few people are packing up and heading out. Just hard to watch this performance

Good
golden sloth
Cal88 said:

Overall, I'm not that worried. What I'm most worried about is the fact I dont remember one pass to our top two wide receivers and the defensive backs are letting the Aggies pass on us.
oskiswifeshusband
FAKE ASS FANS IF TRUE
eastbayyoungbear
calumnus said:

blungld said:

We saw the same thing in the Independence Bowl but were told Bloesch didn't have time to implement his brilliant offense oh, and the players had finals and Mendoza was hurt…

Bottom line is Wilcox ran Spavital off, was convinced his offense was the reason the defense was so bad and with the OL coach thought he could implement a boring, Wisconsin of a decade ago team without the dominant OL or DL.

That's not what happened and you saying it over and over again doesn't make it true.
blungld
The broadcast is as sloppy as the Bears.
Golden One
Wilcox really has balls to put this ****ty team on the field, collect $5 million each year and show his face in public.
golden sloth
oskiswifeshusband said:

FAKE ASS FANS IF TRUE

Well when you bribe them with free tickets, you aren't getting the most devoted. But what are you going to do?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.