UC Aggies vs UC Bears Football Opener Game Thread

38,135 Views | 547 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by calumnus
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BadNewsBear1 said:

We have quick smaller RBs, no road graters on the OL, yet we continually run up the middle. Brilliant!

This was my fear of making the OL coach, himself a former OL, the OC: he wants to win by proving he has a better OL even when we don't. He was OC at North Texas only two years and at a lower level where they had a recruiting and size advantage in conference.
01Bear
BadNewsBear1 said:

We have quick smaller RBs, no road graters on the OL, yet we continually run up the middle. Brilliant!

That's frustrating to me, too! Jet should be running outside in space!
BadNewsBear1
calumnus said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

This was my fear of making the OL coach, himself a former OL, the OC: he wants to win by proving he has a better OL even when we don't. He was OC at North Texas only two years and at a lower level where they had a recruiting and size advantage in conference.

Seems that way unfortunately
cubzwin
Auburn up 21 - 0 on Alabama A & M.
in the first quarter with 5 min left.
not worried
01Bear
calumnus said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

I'd rather we bring back Alex Mack to coach the OL and be OC. At least we know he's smart and can adapt.
ncbears
Rogers in. But two handoffs into line for nothing. But a good pass - finally - for first down
ncbears
Bears need to score to cover
cubzwin
gonna be run the ball only at this point
CALiforniALUM
ncbears said:

Not unless you bet money.
BadNewsBear1
ncbears said:

Might have had a chance if he knocked down the fourth down pass.
BearSD
01Bear said:

john.olsonjr said:

It's not his per se, as he's not the OC. And, he's not calling plays. To be sure, he has veto or overruling power I would imagine, so I put it on the OC. Under SPAV we put up yards and points… twice We did that to a certain extent under Tedford's regime as well, though it fell off with his later OCs, and if memory serves, at least at the beginning he played a much more integral role on O.

That's fair. But I don't think Spav really ran the types of offense Wilcox wanted. If anything, Spav seems to be the exception to the rule under Wilcox. Wilcox seems wedded to a running game including with a running QB. Or so his choice of OCs (based on the plays they ran/run at Cal) suggests.

I think Nando would definitely improve under Spav and an Air Raid offense, but Wilcox (and Bloesch) doesn't seem to want to play that way.

A lot of folks here are overrating Spavital based on the one year he was here with Davis Webb at QB.

Webb was a better QB than any QB Cal has had in a long time other than Rodgers or Goff.

Spav couldn't turn Mendoza into Webb. No one can.

If you want a QB to produce as well as Webb, what do you need? Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.
john.olsonjr
Agreed!
Bearly Clad
Bright spots/Pros:
Special teams (especially Coe, Lachlan, Nohl Williams)
Nyziah Hunter
Mendoza (numbers weren't game breaking but he was throwing some great passes and looked more confident than last year)
Defense (pass rush is still a work in progress but the LBs and DBs were solid all around)

Areas of concern/Cons:
OL
Play calling (maybe it was just a week 1 feint but running no stretch runs with Ott who's patience, vision, and one cut ability are his greatest strengths is damning. I get that we want to run it up the middle as an ethos but there should at least be some variance)
Them moving the ball too well even though we tightened up in the red zone
calumnus
01Bear said:

john.olsonjr said:

It's not his per se, as he's not the OC. And, he's not calling plays. To be sure, he has veto or overruling power I would imagine, so I put it on the OC. Under SPAV we put up yards and points… twice We did that to a certain extent under Tedford's regime as well, though it fell off with his later OCs, and if memory serves, at least at the beginning he played a much more integral role on O.

That's fair. But I don't think Spav really ran the types of offense Wilcox wanted. If anything, Spav seems to be the exception to the rule under Wilcox. Wilcox seems wedded to a running game including with a running QB. Or so his choice of OCs (based on the plays they ran/run at Cal) suggests.

I think Nando would definitely improve under Spav and an Air Raid offense, but Wilcox (and Bloesch) doesn't seem to want to play that way.

Nando was well suited to Spav's quick read, quick throw offense. Especially slants or hitting the TE up the seam. Reminded me of Davis Webb that way. Most of his problems were when the play extends.

One disagreement, while Wilcox clearly wants to play more "traditional offense" he very clearly loves Nando more than any other QB we have had. Unlke everyone else, he just lights up when he talks about him. I just think he worries that a fast paced offense makes his defense look bad. He likes to keep games close, even if we lose. Same philosophy as Mark Fox in basketball.

I do think Nando would be better if Spavital were OC for these last two games.
cubzwin
Mendoza is inexperienced. He may have quite a bit of upside.
stinger78
Congrats on the W.
Big C
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

I'd rather we bring back Alex Mack to coach the OL and be OC. At least we know he's smart and can adapt.

Is Alex Mack getting into coaching, or has he indicated that he would like to?
calumnus
BearSD said:

01Bear said:

john.olsonjr said:

A lot of folks here are overrating Spavital based on the one year he was here with Davis Webb at QB.

Webb was a better QB than any QB Cal has had in a long time other than Rodgers or Goff.

If you want a QB to produce as well as Webb, what do you need? Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

Well last year in the opener at North Texas Spavital's Cal offense put up 58 points and almost 700 yards of offense with Jackson and Finley at QB. I think the road vs North Texas is tougher than home vs Davis.
Bearly Clad
I agree that Spav's system was better for Mendoza. Mendoza is better this year and I think would look really good in the Spav offense but it doesn't seem like Wilcox is opposed to a fast offense. We spent a lot of the first half running hurry up and going very quick, it was just the play calling that was questionable.

I really hope Bloesch adjusts because I did not love what I saw today
dimitrig

Were there cheerleaders this year?
lutheran44
dimitrig said:

Backup on 80. They watched the game at The Nut Tree.
bearsandgiants
dimitrig said:

No way. Again?
socaltownie
bearsandgiants said:

dimitrig said:

No way. Again?
they were on TV so I would say yes.
Golden One
dimitrig said:

Yes.
bipolarbear
bearsandgiants said:

dimitrig said:

No way. Again?
I saw cheerleaders on tv. Quite attractive ones. Hmm…pretty sure they were Cal cheerleaders.
movielover
Davis offense outgained Cal 304 to 281, even w 3 picks and MH only 24 of 48.

Aggie transfer LB Buchanan, a class act, led the Bears in tackles w 9.
BearSD
calumnus said:

BearSD said:

01Bear said:

john.olsonjr said:

Well last year in the opener at North Texas Spavital's Cal offense put up 58 points and almost 700 yards of offense with Jackson and Finley at QB. I think the road vs North Texas is tougher than home vs Davis.
Maybe not.

Spav was also the offensive coordinator for the inexcusable performance vs. Auburn.
calumnus
BearSD said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

01Bear said:

john.olsonjr said:

Maybe not.

Spav was also the offensive coordinator for the inexcusable performance vs. Auburn.

Auburn? Auburn is a huge step above North Texas much less FCS UC Davis.

Still, against Auburn we missed three easy FGs and lost by 4.

We had 279 yards against Auburn and had 281 against UC Davis today.

But here's to us having a huge game against Auburn next week.

Econ141
Bearly Clad said:

I agree that Spav's system was better for Mendoza. Mendoza is better this year and I think would look really good in the Spav offense but it doesn't seem like Wilcox is opposed to a fast offense. We spent a lot of the first half running hurry up and going very quick, it was just the play calling that was questionable.

Two bad games in a row for Bloesch. Worst AD at the worst time. Worst head coach at the worst time. TOAST.
calumnus
Econ141 said:

Bearly Clad said:

Two bad games in a row for Bloesch. Worst AD at the worst time. Worst head coach at the worst time. TOAST.

It is sure looking that way. Wilcox hasn't figured out that OC is his most critical hire? He didn't even bother to do a search this time. It is not like Bloesch's two years calling plays at North Texas lit the world on fire. The staff still got fired, he had no OC offers and he had to step back and take a job at Cal as OL coach.

Sure hope he was sandbagging and proves us wrong next week. We did get the win and the score looks very respectable.
dimitrig
bipolarbear said:

bearsandgiants said:

dimitrig said:

No way. Again?
I saw cheerleaders on tv. Quite attractive ones. Hmm…pretty sure they were Cal cheerleaders.

Good to hear
GBMARIN
Will Ott even be rested next week> The limp does not look promising
GBMARIN
At least one showing off her ink.
movielover
Plough presser, 4 minutes.

golden sloth
GBMARIN said:

At least one showing off her ink.
I hate tattoos. They look ugly on everyone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.