OT: Official Warriors vs Celtics 2022 NBA Finals Thread

31,960 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big C
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

oskidunker said:

philbert said:

DiabloWags said:

ducky23 said:

Just some very quick thoughts after re-watching game 4

Ducky, in reviewing video do you think that back issues are plaguing Dray again?
It's the only thing that would make any sense as to his poor play.

Not Ducky, but I don't think his back is acting up. They are basically daring him to shoot outside and if he takes it inside their length is bothering his shot. Usually, he can get involved in the pnr game with Steph but with Smart guarding him, Smart just easily switches and there isn't the big mismatch there. And if Green gets ball as the roller, he can't really take advantage if he's not willing to take it inside against their bigs. Celts are in his head.
Stop and shoot 15 footer. He can make that

Draymond passed up two obvious layups to pass out for 3, both missed. He also allowed himself to get caught and fouled on the breakaway dunk. Good thing he made both FT's.

I think his lift is showing serious signs of aging.
Some of the more advanced observers (like Zach Lowe) noted back in the 2015-16 days that Draymond was always a guy who lived on the edge with his scoring: shots that just BARELY went in or avoided getting blocked. As he aged they expected him to lose that edge, and that's what happened. (They also expected his defense would always age well, and it has.)

Sometimes I do wonder why he hasn't come up with better tricks and moves around the basket to make layups. Looney does that, even though he doesn't have a ton of lift (one commentator jokingly referred to it as his "YMCA game"). That would probably only get him 2 to 4 more points in a game, though.
concordtom
sycasey said:

concordtom said:

oskidunker said:

philbert said:

DiabloWags said:

ducky23 said:

Ducky, in reviewing video do you think that back issues are plaguing Dray again?

Not Ducky, but I don't think his back is acting up. They are basically daring him to shoot outside and if he takes it inside their length is bothering his shot. Usually, he can get involved in the pnr game with Steph but with Smart guarding him, Smart just easily switches and there isn't the big mismatch there. And if Green gets ball as the roller, he can't really take advantage if he's not willing to take it inside against their bigs. Celts are in his head.

Draymond passed up two obvious layups to pass out for 3, both missed. He also allowed himself to get caught and fouled on the breakaway dunk. Good thing he made both FT's.

Some of the more advanced observers (like Zach Lowe) noted back in the 2015-16 days that Draymond was always a guy who lived on the edge with his scoring: shots that just BARELY went in or avoided getting blocked. As he aged they expected him to lose that edge, and that's what happened. (They also expected his defense would always age well, and it has.)

Sometimes I do wonder why he hasn't come up with better tricks and moves around the basket to make layups. Looney does that, even though he doesn't have a ton of lift (one commentator jokingly referred to it as his "YMCA game"). That would probably only get him 2 to 4 more points in a game, though.

I feel like Dray is a lazy workout guy.
Needs to do more Physical Training.
BearSD
sycasey said:

concordtom said:

oskidunker said:

philbert said:

DiabloWags said:

Looney is several years younger, and Draymond has far more "basketball miles" on his body.

Looney: 26 years old, about 7,200 minutes total NBA regular season and playoffs combined

Green: 32 years old, about 24,500 minutes total NBA regular season and playoffs combined
philbert
Let's not forget that Draymond is probably around 6-5, 220 and is banging his body against guys much bigger than him. That takes a toll on your body and he's never been a great athlete. That he's able to guard positions 1-5 is pretty amazing and he's definitely the defensive heart of this team.

Big C
concordtom said:

oskidunker said:

philbert said:

DiabloWags said:

ducky23 said:

concordtom, it is with respect that I make the following suggestion: Lay off Draymond. Seems like you have it in for him lately. Okay, dude's putting up bricks right now and is in the last half of his career, for sure, but he's been a great Warrior.
concordtom
Big C said:

concordtom said:

oskidunker said:

philbert said:

DiabloWags said:

ducky23 said:

concordtom, it is with respect that I make the following suggestion: Lay off Draymond. Seems like you have it in for him lately. Okay, dude's putting up bricks right now and is in the last half of his career, for sure, but he's been a great Warrior.

Or maybe I'm just still mad about the slap to Lebron Tech and subsequent finals loss.
DiabloWags
bearister said:

ducky23 said:

bearister said:

I actually want this to go 7. Since I hate Lacob anyway, I'm willing to take the chance. The excitement of a Game 7 and the Warriors winning it at home would be awesome.

*Do you think Lacob will stiff SF on the cost of the Victory Parade…like he stiffed Oakland, TWICE?

Totally agree. Hate that lacob guy. Such an idiot. Why would you spend that much to try to win a title? Me? Give me John fisher and the A's any day.

Haha, regardless, he is an arrogant unethical pr@ick.

The Warriors paid $786,988.81 for the 2017 Championship Parade.

Check cashed! Warriors officially pay Oakland for NBA title parade East Bay Times

The city's invoice was more than double their original estimate and included a bizarre $244,000 charge for the 2015 parade.
I can imagine that working with the Oakland City Government isnt easy.

In fact, I just shut down my non-profit that was supporting the San Jose Animal Shelter because of incompetent management.

It's shocking what "passes" these days when the richest metro area in the Nation cant even do basic "blocking and tacking" and faces massive personnel challenges, literally running a high volume (takes in 16,800 animals a year) Shelter without a Vet staff or enough Vet Techs. - - - It's terribly frustrating.

Meanwhile, Mayor Sam Liccardo will repeatedly "tweet" this year about gun control, combating homelessness, racial equality, the LGBTQ community, crime, rail infrastructure, blah, blah, blah...... and not a single "tweet" about the SJ Animal Shelter. We're talking about cats and dogs that have no "voice" and get euthanized.

Yeah, I had "skin" in the game trying to give back.
I'm done.

DiabloWags
philbert said:

Let's not forget that Draymond is probably around 6-5, 220 and is banging his body against guys much bigger than him. That takes a toll on your body and he's never been a great athlete. That he's able to guard positions 1-5 is pretty amazing and he's definitely the defensive heart of this team.

+1
sycasey
concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

oskidunker said:

philbert said:

DiabloWags said:

ducky23 said:

Or maybe I'm just still mad about the slap to Lebron Tech and subsequent finals loss.
That tech was a weak call, and Draymond played brilliantly in the final game despite the loss.
DiabloWags
Boston turned the ball over 18 times.
9 of these were via steals.

Dubs only had 6 TO.
As we all know, that's really the KEY for the DUBS right there.

Meanwhile, Boston added to their turnover woes with 10 missed free throws.

The Celtics looked "tired" in the 4th quarter.
Especially Tatum.
Wigs on him.

Dubs had really good rotations.
Didnt allow a lot of openings or clean looks.

As they say, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

concordtom
concordtom
sycasey said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

oskidunker said:

philbert said:

DiabloWags said:

ducky23 said:

That tech was a weak call, and Draymond played brilliantly in the final game despite the loss.

One of the things that makes Steph such a great player is his off-court stuff.
He was glad to let KD get the limelight - he wasn't caught up in it being "his team", only KD and the media worried about that.
He's a great teammate.

Dray's style of being a hothead has its place, I understand. He's the fire for the team, and that is needed. But he is generally a jerk, and often goes out of control.

If he adopted Steph's work ethic, his body would be younger, he'd jump higher, and he'd shoot better.

I want something I can't have - his fiery attitude plus Steph's calmness and diligence.

Draymond is like Rodman in some meaningful ways.
concordtom
DiabloWags said:

Boston turned the ball over 18 times.
9 of these were via steals.

Dubs only had 6 TO.
As we all know, that's really the KEY for the DUBS right there.

Meanwhile, Boston added to their turnover woes with 10 missed free throws.

The Celtics looked "tired" in the 4th quarter.
Especially Tatum.
Wigs on him.

Dubs had really good rotations.
Didnt allow a lot of openings or clean looks.

As they say, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

6 ???
Wow, that's excellent!

Boston was flat out throwing the ball away. And the missed FT's, wow.

I want Kuminga to get just one massive dunk, just for the historical record. Years from now, the clip will be shown and everyone will say, "wow, he was young, and on that team?"
philbert
concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

oskidunker said:

philbert said:

DiabloWags said:

ducky23 said:

KD doesn't come to the Warriors if they didn't lose that series. Part of the pitch to him was that they needed him to get another title.
Californium
Quote:

If he adopted Steph's work ethic, his body would be younger, he'd jump higher, and he'd shoot better

CT, this is the second post in which you have maligned Dray's work ethic. Do have any evidence for this? My only evidence for the contrary is that he is still able to compete at the HIGHEST level of basketball and that's without a lot of the god-given advantages many other top level pro's have. It's my guess that Dray is pretty hard working (maybe not Steph level, but who is?) or he wouldn't be playing at the level he is.

I suspect that you are letting your personal dislike of Dray and his style interfere with your critical thinking skills regarding his work ethic.
prospeCt
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/jun/14/wagwan-why-are-more-and-more-britons-speaking-multicultural-london-english

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/14/pope-francis-ukraine-war-provoked-russian-troops

JB Greek Theatre end of summer

concordtom
philbert said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

oskidunker said:

philbert said:

DiabloWags said:

ducky23 said:

KD doesn't come to the Warriors if they didn't lose that series. Part of the pitch to him was that they needed him to get another title.

Though, a victory on Thursday might change people's perception.
Big C
Californium said:

Quote:

If he adopted Steph's work ethic, his body would be younger, he'd jump higher, and he'd shoot better

CT, this is the second post in which you have maligned Dray's work ethic. Do have any evidence for this? My only evidence for the contrary is that he is still able to compete at the HIGHEST level of basketball and that's without a lot of the god-given advantages many other top level pro's have. It's my guess that Dray is pretty hard working (maybe not Steph level, but who is?) or he wouldn't be playing at the level he is.

I suspect that you are letting your personal dislike of Dray and his style interfere with your critical thinking skills regarding his work ethic.

Agree. Remember Draymond his senior year at MSU? Great player, but a little on the pudgy side. That wasn't a guy who could guard 4-5 positions. His first 3-4 years in the NBA, he worked his butt off and completely reworked his body.

Steph Curry works out at an insane level. You can be a really, really hard worker in the off-season and still fall short of that.

In terms of their personas, I prefer Draymond. He comes across to me as being super authentic (okay, sometimes even to a fault). Steph, great, community-minded guy that he is, always seems to be working on his brand. Just my take.
concordtom
Californium said:

Quote:

No, I don't, other than him talking about drinking, previously heard.

Perhaps you are right!
Though, I wouldn't say it's affecting "critical thinking skills", just that I am biased and the bias is what you are hearing, not critical thinking.

It's true, I'm merely sharing my opinion.

I will very much credit Dray for lowering his temperature these past 2 games.
Now let's see if he can hit a jump shot Thursday!

And that floater bucket was very nice! And he made his 2 free throws. Thank you, dray.
concordtom
Big C said:

Californium said:

Quote:

Agree. Remember Draymond his senior year at MSU? Great player, but a little on the pudgy side. That wasn't a guy who could guard 4-5 positions. His first 3-4 years in the NBA, he worked his butt off and completely reworked his body.

Steph Curry works out at an insane level. You can be a really, really hard worker in the off-season and still fall short of that.

In terms of their personas, I prefer Draymond. He comes across to me as being super authentic. Steph, great, community-minded guy that he is, always seems to be working on his brand. Just my take.

Yeah, no doubt he gets tons of credit for a sparkling career.
But he's still a bully. Always has been.

Barkley has said he's going to not work too much longer. Dray should slide into that chair fairly nicely. And to think, he never even threw anyone through a plate glass window at a midnight bar!
Big C
concordtom said:

Big C said:

Californium said:

Quote:

In terms of their personas, I prefer Draymond. He comes across to me as being super authentic. Steph, great, community-minded guy that he is, always seems to be working on his brand. Just my take.

Barkley has said he's going to not work too much longer. Dray should slide into that chair fairly nicely. And to think, he never even threw anyone through a plate glass window at a midnight bar!

Though I kinda felt like we had reached the agree-to-disagree point, I have to ask, in what way is he a "bully"?
DiabloWags
Big C said:

In terms of their personas, I prefer Draymond. He comes across to me as being super authentic (okay, sometimes even to a fault). Steph, great, community-minded guy that he is, always seems to be working on his brand. Just my take.
Huh?
He's not the one with a podcast.
He's the one that is doing community service with his wife.
Big C

Yeah and, coincidentally, there's always media there to publicize it. That said, I would never argue that Steph Curry isn't a fine citizen. What Draymond is, is Draymond. I respect that, too.
DiabloWags
Big C said:

Yeah and, coincidentally, there's always media there to publicize it.

Of course there is media on hand to publicize it.
Do you have any idea how many non-profit's Curry is associated with?

Why would anyone NOT want the media to know about their support and endorsement of a non-profit, which helps give the organization and their mission credibility, not too mention bring in donors?

You're not making any sense.

Big C
DiabloWags said:

Big C said:

Yeah and, coincidentally, there's always media there to publicize it.

Of course there is media on hand to publicize it.
Do you have any idea how many non-profit's Curry is associated with?

Why would anyone NOT want the media to know about their support and endorsement of a non-profit, which helps give the organization and their mission credibility, not too mention bring in donors?

You're not making any sense.

Not making any sense? Hey, that's the name of my game!

What I'm saying is, I've always been impressed with somebody's character when I find out what they do when the camera's not rolling. And Curry may be swell in that regard, too, I don't know. But with him the camera's always rolling: The Steph Curry This, the Steph and Ayesha Curry That... and on and on...

Bottom line for me, he seems like a great individual, but, just my impression, he's always "working on his brand". Nothing against him for that, as he has a good brand. I guess I would be even more impressed with his character if he was seen in public wearing a shirt that said, "Improve human rights in China!" (and human rights in China is not some huge issue of mine)
concordtom
Big C said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

Californium said:

Quote:

Though I kinda felt like we had reached the agree-to-disagree point, I have to ask, in what way is he a "bully"?

Pretty much in every way?
Big C
concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

Californium said:

Quote:

I would expect more from you than a cop-out answer like the above. And since you wrote "pretty much in every way", you now need to provide multiple examples. And you should begin by providing your definition of "bully".

You seem to just not like Draymond Green. And you have that right. I just flat-out like him and I have that right. But if you're going to say he's a bully in pretty much every way, you should explain what you mean and provide examples. Or not: We're just sitting here bs-ing on a sports fan bulletin board. At least I'm not asking you to provide a link, lol.
philbert
BeachedBear
I'm a Warriors FAN, so I support Draymond and find ways to rationalize that. IF he was on another team, I'd probably dislike him. There seems to be almost one on every opposing team that matters. Overall, those players tend to be more loathed than loved (your team vs 29 other teams in the league).

BTW that goes for most players in every sport I follow. There are occasionally players from other teams, that I just can't deny their awesomeness. Not as many as THEY think.

Then there are players like Durant. I thought he was special before he came to the Warriors. I thought he was specialler when he was on the Warriors - and a bit miffed when he went to Nets. However, I still follow him more than any other non-Warrior and still find ways to respect him (although I AM more critical of his non-W failings).
BearSD
BeachedBear said:

Then there are players like Durant. I thought he was special before he came to the Warriors. I thought he was specialler when he was on the Warriors - and a bit miffed when he went to Nets. However, I still follow him more than any other non-Warrior and still find ways to respect him (although I AM more critical of his non-W failings).
KD is a great player. But, he wanted to be the undisputed leader of the team. He became disenchanted with the Warriors when he realized that was never going to be the case here.

There's a great video clip where Kerr is coaching Durant during a timeout and telling him to trust his teammates instead of only looking for his own shot -- you can see in the clip that KD didn't want to hear that message.

Californium
concordtom said:

Californium said:

Quote:

No, I don't, other than him talking about drinking, previously heard.

Perhaps you are right!
Though, I wouldn't say it's affecting "critical thinking skills", just that I am biased and the bias is what you are hearing, not critical thinking.

It's true, I'm merely sharing my opinion.

I will very much credit Dray for lowering his temperature these past 2 games.
Now let's see if he can hit a jump shot Thursday!

And that floater bucket was very nice! And he made his 2 free throws. Thank you, dray

Sorry, I don't think you understood me. I don't care if you don't like him, his play style, his affect or whatever. What I am saying is that he could be all those bad things you don't like and still be a hard worker. In fact almost every bit of evidence says that he IS a hard worker. Your dislike of other things about him caused you to say something with NO basis in fact that i can find. I was literally only objecting to your questioning his work ethic. The rest of it, as big C says, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
sycasey
BearSD said:

BeachedBear said:

KD is a great player. But, he wanted to be the undisputed leader of the team. He became disenchanted with the Warriors when he realized that was never going to be the case here.

There's a great video clip where Kerr is coaching Durant during a timeout and telling him to trust his teammates instead of only looking for his own shot -- you can see in the clip that KD didn't want to hear that message.

As an individual performer, KD is better than Steph. He can get his own shot in more ways and defend more positions.

As a guy who makes his teammates better, Steph is superior. We see the evidence in what's happened since they parted ways.
ducky23
To be fair, as much as I love Steph, I'd probably rather have KD than Steph on this team just because of his defensive abilities. He adds a shot blocking element that would make the warriors defense historically good (better than the celtics defense with a way better offense).

Can you imagine trying to score on a closing lineup of: GP2, klay, wiggins, KD and draymond? Good luck
concordtom
Big C said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

Californium said:

Quote:

I would expect more from you than a cop-out answer like the above. And since you wrote "pretty much in every way", you now need to provide multiple examples. And you should begin by providing your definition of "bully".

You seem to just not like Draymond Green. And you have that right. I just flat-out like him and I have that right. But if you're going to say he's a bully in pretty much every way, you should explain what you mean and provide examples. Or not: We're just sitting here bs-ing on a sports fan bulletin board. At least I'm not asking you to provide a link, lol.
Oh, this is an easy one. And I'm sure I could provide links, but you've suggested it's not necessary.

I've watched EVERY W's game for the past 2 seasons except about 3 each season. Honestly - that's over 160 games of watching Draymond. Okay, not that many - he was injured...

1. He bullies referees. I don't think ANYONE has the free rein to challenge ref calls more than D.G. in the NBA. This stems back to his ejection from the Finals, which everyone agrees swung the entire championship. No Ref, no Commissioner, wants to go there again. And Draymond knows this, so he pushes it right up to the limit, time and time again. Most of the instances do not make highlight reels, so if you haven't watched every game, you'd miss a bunch of them.

2. He bullies opponents. There is such a thing as "taunting". You can't look at opponents after you dunk on them and rub it in. D.G. does this regularly, though not when he dunks, because it happens so infrequently, but when he makes an And-1 layup, or a block. Usually, he instantly turns toward the opponent and flexes, but then turns toward a teammate nearby and acts like he's directing his HOWL and FLEX at his teammate in celebration, rather than an opponent.

3. He bullies opponents II. He also is excessively physical. Well, now, let me slow down on this. EVERY championship team needs an edge, and Draymond BRINGS that edge. As I said above, this is a huge asset. But he does give hard cheap fouls now and then, and backs it up with words in their face. He rides the edge, and everyone knows it. Kerr cautions him, while appreciating him. Kerr would not disagree with what I'm saying here. He's a bully, and everyone needs a bully.

4. He bullies others in media - talks sh_t. Chuck is the same way. It's just the way some people are, personality wise. Stephen A Smith is this way, too. There is little gentile about these men. Brash, outspoken. If you cross them the wrong way, they are not afraid of talking sh_t about you publicly. Hard to trust people like that. In contrast, Steph and Klay.... have you ever heard them talk shi_t about others in the press? No, they just let their play do their talking.

5. He bullies teammates. Only one example needed here. "We won without you. Leave"

(unshortened video)

(shortened video)

(after the fact introduction of what all was said in the huddle)

There's a thesis out there that Our Favorite Big 3 REALLY want to win this year WITHOUT KD again, if only to validate their entire run and not allow it to be primarily because of KD.
You can be damned sure they are not going out without an incredible fight.
If it gets to Game 7, oh man - what a Game 7 that will be. Dray would be pulling out all the tricks of the trade (that he has left).

concordtom
Bonus - because it's out there:

I'll spare you all the other compilations out there.
Some of it helps, but a lot of it hurts. He's emotionally volatile.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.