OT: Official Warriors vs Celtics 2022 NBA Finals Thread

32,000 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big C
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concernedparent said:

Jaylen carried the team this series. Jayson Tatum didn't even get off the bus. One of the worst finals performances I've ever seen.
Terrible body language from Tatum, visibly frustrated for the last three games.

He's still pretty young (24), so maybe he can learn from this.
DiabloWags

Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

I liked that the Dubs went back to the classic blue road jerseys for the clincher. Never been a fan of the black ones.

Unfortunately the NBA (really the uniform supplier) chooses jersey colors.

Worse than the dubs though was Boston's black unis. Made them look like a DII college team. I think the Dubs have a lot of good alternates right now but they didn't choose the best for the finals. I agree that the all blacks are a bad look for NBA original teams with great colors. Should have stayed classic in the finals.
DiabloWags
Analytical models gave Boston a better than 80% chance to win the Series, but those calculations failed to account for Golden State's Championship DNA.

Klay told a story last night during post-game about how 22 year old Jaren Jackson once mocked the Warrior's "Strength in Numbers" via tweet.

"It pissed me off so much," Thompson said, months after logging it into his "elephant" memory. "Going to mock us? Like, you ain't ever been there before, bro. We been there. We know what it takes. Hold that."

NBA Finals | Thompson rips into Jackson Jr. for tweet, calls him "a freaking bum".courtesy NBA TV - YouTube
bearister

Data: NBA; Table: Axios Visuals

"By the numbers: The Warriors' eighth championship breaks a tie with the Bulls for the third-most in NBA history. The Celtics remain tied with the Lakers for the most (17).

Every game this series was won by 10 or more points, a first in Finals history.
Curry has averaged 32.5 points per game in title-clinchers for his career, trailing only Michael Jordan (33.7).

Tatum is the first player in NBA history with 100 turnovers in a postseason.*

Steve Kerr has won 12% of all NBA Finals (nine of 76). Five as a player, four as a coach.

The big picture: Two babies born three years apart at Akron General Medical Center LeBron James and Curry are now responsible for eight NBA championships, six league MVPs and five Finals MVPs between them.

Looking ahead: The Warriors (5-1) are the early favorites to win the 2023 championship, followed closely by the Nets and Celtics (6-1), per Caesars."
-Axios

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
DiabloWags
Draymond had 12 points, 12 rebounds, 8 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals, and only one foul.

And he logged 42 minutes, the most that he has played in a non-overtime game since June 13, 2019, which was the last time they were playing in a Game 6 in the Finals.

Gotta love a forward that can run the floor like a "point" guard and understands spacing on the floor.

His 12.1 rebounds per 40 are a career high.
And at 6-07, he's grabbing 25% of his team's TOTAL DEFENSIVE REBOUNDS.

Last night, the announcers said that he joined Michael Jordan in a record category....

Dray and Jordan are the only two players with 3 Championships, 3 All-Stars, and a Defensive Player of the Year title.
And now Dray has 4 Championships.

DiabloWags
bearister said:

59bear said:

I'm not normally a fan of the NBA but I do like the way the Ws play the game and Boston's Cal connection via Brown is compelling so I'll probably watch most of the action.

I only watch the NBA Playoffs and Finals. It is always worth it.

I've literally watched every minute of the Warriors regular season.
It's been incredible to watch the transformation of Jordan Poole and the emergence of GP2.
How Kerr has coached and rotated players, the injuries, etc.

2 years ago they only had 15 wins.
Last year, they didnt make the playoffs.

It's been a super exciting "ride" for sure and I feel blessed to be a fan.

sonofabear51
Agreed. I watched them a lot this season also. Very fun to watch. Definitely a very special group of players, coaches, etc. What a great ride!
Start Slowly and taper off
DiabloWags
Kendrick Perkins = CLOWN

Kendrick Perkins said Steph Curry would do 'nothing' in NBA Finals Game 6 (nypost.com)
DiabloWags
Draymond Podcast from Last Night.

Special guests Klay, Iggy, and GP2.

The Draymond Green Show on Apple Podcasts

TERRIFIC PODCAST about the GAME that DRAY LOVES and talking about the NEW MEDIA.

sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

I liked that the Dubs went back to the classic blue road jerseys for the clincher. Never been a fan of the black ones.

Worse than the dubs though was Boston's black unis. Made them look like a DII college team. I think the Dubs have a lot of good alternates right now but they didn't choose the best for the finals. I agree that the all blacks are a bad look for NBA original teams with great colors. Should have stayed classic in the finals.

I thought the league authorizes a bunch of alternate uniforms and the team gets to choose which one they wear that night (with the road team having to choose one that contrasts). Does the league mandate certain combos?
ColoradoBear
Celtics 2022 NBA Champions Tattoo mistake:

Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

I thought the league authorizes a bunch of alternate uniforms and the team gets to choose which one they wear that night (with the road team having to choose one that contrasts). Does the league mandate certain combos?

Yea, league announced jerseys before game 1. My understanding is that the teams were given assignments. I don't know how much, if any, input they had.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/who-picks-which-jerseys-nba-teams-wear-each-game
stu
Cal basketball is so exciting we're discussing pro jerseys.
Big C
stu said:

I love the way we eschew black jerseys! Especially when wimpy Furd wears them fairly often... and then we whup them!
concordtom
Big C said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

Draymond 2 assists shy of triple double, and rests his case!

2-4 from 3, plus another long jumper.
Well done, Day-Day.
The DG fan club is intact!!!!!!

ConcordTom, I will send you your official club membership card via PM.

Draymond Green: 12 points, 12 rebounds, 8 assists... and now 4 rings!!!

Yeah buddy!
Sign me up.
The Draymond Green Podcast should be good when I listen tomorrow!!!!

You won this little discussion. Pop the champagne!!! I'm drinking it with you.
Go dubs!!!!

All right, stop being so agreeable. You know darn well what that sort of thing would cost you on the OT forum.

Wrong!
About 80% of OT is all in alignment! It's just the vocal and absurd minority that causes most of problems.

But I know what you're saying.
Here, let me serve up some of that.
concordtom
okaydo said:

BearForce2 said:

Why are you celebrating a team whose values you abhor?

I think what he's saying, BFer, is that nobody really likes you very much.

HearstMining
stu said:

Even when Cal teams are good (and the current one is definitely not), these are the dog days. We could have a spirited discussion about whether Joe Shipp or Jordan Matthews was a better outside shooter while at Cal. Of course, SFCity might jump in and say Russ Critchfield was better than either of them.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Yea, league announced jerseys before game 1. My understanding is that the teams were given assignments. I don't know how much, if any, input they had.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/who-picks-which-jerseys-nba-teams-wear-each-game

Hmm, looks like that's how they do it now. Don't like that either.
concordtom
stu said:

We're on topic!
Jaylen Brown went to Cal, and he was THE best Celtic last night.
Go Jaylen!!!!
concordtom
HearstMining said:

stu said:

Even when Cal teams are good (and the current one is definitely not), these are the dog days. We could have a spirited discussion about whether Joe Shipp or Jordan Matthews was a better outside shooter while at Cal. Of course, SFCity might jump in and say Russ Critchfield was better than either of them.

I'm pretty sure we moved beyond Dog Days and into Dog Years about 5 years ago!
We're on a streak!
concordtom
HearstMining said:

Of course, SFCity might jump in and say Russ Critchfield was better than either of them.

I wonder if SFCity caught that Stephen A moved Wilt out of his top 10 this week, in order to make room for Steph.
BearForce2
concordtom said:

okaydo said:

BearForce2 said:

Why are you celebrating a team whose values you abhor?

I think what he's saying, BFer, is that nobody really likes you very much.

The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
DiabloWags
concordtom said:

I wonder if SFCity caught that Stephen A moved Wilt out of his top 10 this week, in order to make room for Steph.
Tom, did you listen to Dray's Podcast last night after the game?
It was really good!

Dray's interview of GP2 is awsome!

Warriors title reaction w/ Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala & Gary Payton II | Draymond Green Show - YouTube
Big C
concordtom said:

HearstMining said:

Of course, SFCity might jump in and say Russ Critchfield was better than either of them.

I wonder if anyone has caught that Stephen A is probably plagiarizing from earlier in this thread.

New "Official" Version I'm Pulling Out of my... Pocket:

Jordan
Lebron
Russell/Kareem/Wilt/Shaq
Magic
Kobe
West
Robertson
Curry
Bird

That actually adds up to ten. I can't explain why, because I never got past Math 16B at Cal.
BearForce2
Big C said:

concordtom said:

HearstMining said:

I wonder if anyone has caught that Stephen A is probably plagiarizing from earlier in this thread.

Jordan
Lebron
Russell/Kareem/Wilt/Shaq
Magic
Kobe
West
Robertson
Curry
Bird

That actually adds up to ten. I can't explain why, because I never got past Math 16B at Cal.

You could argue that Tim Duncan belongs on that list. 5 time NBA champion, 3 time Finals MVP, 2 time regular season MVP.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
bearister
The new Golden State Warriors: relentless, ruthless … and oddly endearing

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jun/17/golden-state-warriors-nba-finals-champions-basketball?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
MSaviolives
Dray on our esteemed California Golden Bear

DiabloWags
bearister said:

The new Golden State Warriors: relentless, ruthless … and oddly endearing.

Are you paying for the Parade?
bearister
DiabloWags said:

bearister said:

I hope Mayor Breed got a large deposit from Slippery Joe.

Big C
BearForce2 said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

HearstMining said:

Jordan
Lebron
Russell/Kareem/Wilt/Shaq
Magic
Kobe
West
Robertson
Curry
Bird

You could argue that Tim Duncan belongs on that list. 5 time NBA champion, 3 time Finals MVP, 2 time regular season MVP.

A case could definitely be made for several guys: Duncan, Olajuwan... Malone, if he had a ring. Elgin Baylor. Giannis' trajectory has him getting on the list. It's a tough call and fun discussion.

Seems like the prerequisites are
1. MVPs (gotta have multiple)
2. Rings
ducky23
bearister said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jun/17/golden-state-warriors-nba-finals-champions-basketball?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I love that they are basically the Arya stark of basketball. They've kept all the receipts, no matter who you are and how inconsequential you may be.

I just picture them at night before sleeping going; "Kendrick Perkins, Brian windhorst, skip bayless, JJJ, the hound, nick wright."

From Lacob, to bob meyers to Steph, klay and dray, they called everyone out last night. And I can't lie, it was pretty f'ing satisfying.
Big C
ducky23 said:

bearister said:

I love that they are basically the Arya stark of basketball. They've kept all the receipts, no matter who you are and how inconsequential you may be.

I just picture them at night before sleeping going; "Kendrick Perkins, Brian windhorst, skip bayless, JJJ, the hound, nick wright."

From Lacob, to bob meyers to Steph, klay and dray, they called everyone out last night. And I can't lie, it was pretty f'ing satisfying.

Great stuff. And while they all surely like KD okay (even Draymond), I bet they liked winning one without him. Human nature.
DiabloWags
bearister said:

DiabloWags said:

bearister said:

I hope Mayor Breed got a large deposit from Slippery Joe.

LOL!

ducky23
Big C said:

concordtom said:

HearstMining said:

Jordan
Lebron
Russell/Kareem/Wilt/Shaq
Magic
Kobe
West
Robertson
Curry
Bird

I know he's no where near the top 10, but I've always wondered what could have been if Kidd was put in better situations and didn't have to play for such crap teams. I mean, he single-handedly dragged a putrid nets team to the Finals. I wish he could have had a better team around him during his prime. The guy was incredible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.