OT: Official Warriors vs Celtics 2022 NBA Finals Thread

31,961 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big C
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You younger guys can make all the excuses you want about modern NBA rules, but Jaylen Brown's travel unmasks all those arguments.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Wookids
Thought I'd chime in. Posted the following on TOS shortly before opening tip off, and have been watching 5pm pregame show, but have hit antsy to start watching, so after hitting "Post" it's game time for me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like 5 as well, but the loss at Boston (better chance game 4 loss than game 3). The wild card is just how well Boston is able to defend Warriors (they're top rated with a switching D, but how well Warriors movement succeeds against Boston D is the match up I'm most interested in watching unfold).
HoopDreams
both teams shooting the lights out
bearister
HoopDreams said:

Draymond's shot selection in this first half is undermining the team.
bearister
bearister said:

In my simple analysis, that may well crash and burn, I believe the Warriors will win the Finals because they have more players than Boston does that can fill it up from Trey Land.

Boston is going to find out how exhausting it is to play firm D against multiple players that can make a 3 and then still have enough left to maintain an active offense.

At the end of the game tonight I am going to see how many guys on each team were contributing 3 pointers.

Well, at half Boston has 6 players who have made at least 1 Trey and the Warriors have 3 players who have made at least 1 Trey. So much for my theory.
bearister
Jaylen doing Cal proud.
sycasey
I think I've seen enough. Celtics are better. They'll win this series.
Big C

Not gonna lie: That 4th quarter was shocking. Kind of a must-win for the Warriors on Sunday.
BearSD
The 4th quarter had the biggest point margin of any 4th quarter in NBA Finals history. 75 years.

Combination of poor defense resulting in a barrage of wide open 3-pt attempts for Boston, and the Warriors' poor shooting and inability to score against the Celtics' defensive intensity.

Between now and Sunday, the Warriors are going to have to overcome the massive doubt this 4th quarter put in their minds, and get themselves to a place where they think they can still win this series.
sycasey
BearSD said:

Combination of poor defense resulting in a barrage of wide open 3-pt attempts for Boston,

Part of this is the rotations are slow, but also part of it is that you have to give up something, and if Derrick White and Al Horford are shooting the threes then you live with that. Tonight they made all of them.

The bigger worry is that the Celtics were able to shut down the Warriors' scoring down the stretch, and that looked like pure physical domination to me. Not sure that changes much as the series continues.
Golden One
sycasey said:

The Celtics just wanted it more tonight, and they showed it in the 4th quarter. The Dubs just had no answer.
ducky23
sycasey said:

Cmon of all people I wouldn't expect an emotional take from you.

You know that 4th quarter was unsustainable. I would be much more concerned if the dubs offense looked like they did against Memphis (without morant). But the offense was fine even with the awful 4th quarter. They made 19 threes on 42% 3pt shooting. On most nights that's going to be fine. If the Celtics keep shooting over 50% from 3, then they deserve it. But I don't think it's sustainable.

Like you said, the dubs have to give up something. And they decided to give up 3's to white (31%) horford (33%) and smart (33%). As perspective, kuminga shoots 33% from 3 as well.

I think giving up wide open 3's probably wasn't in the game plan. They just need to semi contest the poor shooters. And if those guys keep burying them with a semi contest, then Boston deserves the championship.

I'll end with this. GP2 (if healthy enough) needs to take all of the Poole minutes. Poole can't play in this series. He's much more of a liability on defence than I thought he would be and he's not giving you enough on offence. They need someone to slow down Jaylen and it's not Poole or klay. It'd also be helpful if draymond took his head out of his a$$ and played smarter.
philbert
Yeah, I'm not sure that Boston can shoot like that in every game. However, I do expect Tatum to score more...which will probably be the result of the Dubs staying closer to the outside shooters.

Clearly, GP2 wasn't really healthy enough or he would've played. Hope he can play soon.
bearister
SBGold
It looked like Brown and Tatum could get good drives whenever they wanted, and the Warriors weren't not up to the physicality of the Celts. I think Celts roll in Boston, that crowd will be out for blood
DiabloWags
bearister said:

HoopDreams said:

Draymond's shot selection in this first half is undermining the team.

Agreed.
I cant seem to ever remember a stat line in which Dray took 12 shots.
2 - 12.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
DiabloWags
ducky23 said:

I think giving up wide open 3's probably wasn't in the game plan. They just need to semi contest the poor shooters. And if those guys keep burying them with a semi contest, then Boston deserves the championship.

I'll end with this. GP2 (if healthy enough) needs to take all of the Poole minutes. Poole can't play in this series. He's much more of a liability on defense than I thought he would be and he's not giving you enough on offense. They need someone to slow down Jaylen and it's not Poole or Klay. It'd also be helpful if Draymond took his head out of his a$$ and played smarter.
THIS ^^^

Stop giving Al Horford WIDE OPEN LOOKS.
He had 26 last night.

And yes, Poole looks like he's a defensive liability.
Dray shouldnt be putting up 12 shot attempts. Not with the shooters on this team!

philbert
SBGold said:

It looked like Brown and Tatum could get good drives whenever they wanted, and the Warriors weren't not up to the physicality of the Celts. I think Celts roll in Boston, that crowd will be out for blood
They tried to collapse in the paint every time Tatum drove and couldn't get back out on their 3 pt shooters. (or Draymond wanted to be in position to help on drives, so he didn't go out to contest shooters) They essentially did the same against Dallas but Dallas could only burn them in that one game. They will have to adjust and allow more drives or risk getting burned on 3s again.
concordtom
sycasey said:

I agree.
concordtom
ducky23 said:

It'd also be helpful if draymond took his head out of his a$$ and played smarter.

Draymond should spend more time on his shooting touch than flapping his mouth and developing his broadcasting career!
He's been a sht shot for years and his reply is a brazen "I make shots when I need to, Chuck!"
Oh yeah? Well F off, Draymond. You can't shoot worth beans!!!
concordtom
ducky23 said:

Like you said, the dubs have to give up something. And they decided to give up 3's to white (31%) horford (33%) and smart (33%). As perspective, kuminga shoots 33% from 3 as well.

The Celtics, like many other teams, have a size advantage. The Warriors were exposed repeatedly during the season. I thought the grizzlies would too, but Ja went out and the W's killed it. Dallas went small and other than one game their shooting went cold. Thank you for sparing us Ayten.

Boston is tough as anyone, and we collapsed the paint and gave them looks. They press us on the perimeter and have no inside to counter. I was hoping for a post last night who could draw a double, aka Kareem or Olajuwon back in the day.

Poole was not up to it.
Klay is past his prime for sure, though he hit some nice buckets.

If Steph doesn't go OFF (!!!) early, we get crushed in that game.

Looks like big trouble. Maybe they (W's) were simply too happy to get here. Boston is only going to tighten the screws defensively. We are older and they have youth on their side! And know it. Boston may not shoot as well, but their defense won't let up!

Next year we'll have to hope the young bucks of Kuminga wiseman and moody can serve as a counter. We may see that before the series is out. Iggy is beloved, but how could Kerr think he would be ready for a finals game after months off? Sentiment, old guard. Like draymond taking those 3's, wishful thinking!

To be fair, Kuminga ain't ready, either.
sycasey
Boston doesn't have a size advantage. Look at the heights of the starting five for both teams (including Looney), pretty similar. They have an athleticism advantage. They're younger and quicker and have more hops.
concordtom
I was really excited when Steph went off early, but nervous that our lead was small, and even closer at halftime. That was a very bad sign.

Then we stretched it in the 3rd and I felt good again.

But the 4th Q was an obliteration of epic proportions!
Shocking!

My daughter is in Lucerne Switzerland today, do we've been texting about the chapel bridge that burned down in 93, whereas her mother and I had walked it in 92.

The 4th quarter was just like that, a thing of beauty to be adored, followed by sudden shocking destruction!

They quickly rebuilt it within about 8 months, though much was forever lost.

The Warriors have 3 days!
concordtom
sycasey said:

Boston doesn't have a size advantage. Look at the heights of the starting five for both teams (including Looney), pretty similar. They have an athleticism advantage. They're younger and quicker and have more hops.

Okay, what you said!!!
I completely agree.
DiabloWags
concordtom said:

That was the problem.
People felt "good" again and they got "comfy" being up by 13.
concordtom
If Poole can't be a great defender, can he fit with Klay and steph in a matchup like this?

Klay really cannot move like he used to….

Kuminga is what I want on D, but he falls for vet positioning tricks, like pump fakes and such. Needs to season, the way looney has, though he's overmatched athletically by many.
concordtom
Wiggins was the only one who rose up over Boston at the rim.
Sigh.
DiabloWags
concordtom said:

He's been a sht shot for years and his reply is a brazen "I make shots when I need to, Chuck!"

Draymond doesnt really have to shoot on this team given the depth of shooters the Dubs have.
His job is to run the offense and distribute the ball, set screens, and rebound.
For some reason last night, he attempted 12 shots.
He's averaged about 7 a game in the playoffs.

concordtom
DiabloWags said:

concordtom said:

That was the problem.
People felt "good" again and they got "comfy" being up by 13.

Yes, that's a segment tape worth watching.
I tell ya, it doesn't look good at all. If the W's fight their way back from this…

bearister
"Things got a little ugly in the third quarter, notoriously Golden State's money quarter. Golden State nearly doubled their second chance points from the first half (12) with 11 in the third alone. That helped fuel a 38-24 quarter and a 12 point lead heading into the fourth. Brown took over at the start of the quarter, scoring 10 points of a 26-11 run to give Boston a 3-point lead with 5:08 to go. Al Horford, Derrick White, and Smart closed things out with a barrage of 3-pointers. Boston outscored Golden State 40-16 in the fourth."

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2022/06/03/bsj-nba-finals-game-1-report-celtics-120-warriors-108---fourth-quarter-explosion-steals-home-court-for-celtics
DiabloWags
I've watched the Celtics during the playoffs and Derrick White is a game-changer.
He comes of the bench and can score 3's when Boston needs them the most.
He had 21 last night off the bench.

Our most productive player off the bench was Porter, with 12.

concordtom
DiabloWags said:

concordtom said:

Draymond doesnt really have to shoot on this team given the depth of shooters the Dubs have.
His job is to run the offense and distribute the ball, set screens, and rebound.
For some reason last night, he attempted 12 shots.
He's averaged about 7 a game in the playoffs.

Don't you know?
He was going for his HOF moment, an opportunity to shut all his naysayers up.

He has shut me up in this playoff run, but now his boo birds are back out. Honestly, I was cringing looking at his form on those 3's, and even that floater in the lane! They're all like "nooooo" shots!

12?
How on earth did he put up 12?
Was he credited with some garbage tip attempts that can be discarded?
DiabloWags
bearister said:

Al Horford, Derrick White, and Smart closed things out with a barrage of 3-pointers. Boston outscored Golden State 40-16 in the fourth."

It was frustrating to watch HORFORD get so many WIDE OPEN uncontested looks in the 4th.
He can shoot and the Dubs just let him shoot. He wound up with 26 and a bunch of those came in the 4th.
Big mistake.
bearister
We could have used 6 fouls worth of GP II aggressive D in 4th. Warriors got F'd by his deliberately inflicted injury.
concordtom
What was up with Poole hitting the top of the backboard on a 3 attempt?

Like, that's 8th grade stuff.
Shocking.

I think Steph's excellent start must have spooked Jordan. Like, "oh man, this is what I need to do!"
I'd like to see Steph and Jordan start, and Klay come off the bench. Kerr won't do that, but I'd like to have seen it long time ago!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.