OT: Official Warriors vs Celtics 2022 NBA Finals Thread

31,949 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big C
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wiggins has a 44"

Klay starting to calibrate the mortar.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
DiabloWags
Poole continues to be a Defensive liability.
He cant keep anyone in front of him.
Blown byyyyy...
DiabloWags
Points in the paint 32 to 16.

2nd chance points 13 to 3.

At the HALF.

bearister
DiabloWags said:

Points in the paint 32 to 16.

2nd chance points 13 to 3.

At the HALF.

Boards 24/14. We ain't cutting it at the manly pursuits.
sycasey
This is a poorly officiated game.

I'm not saying the Warriors should be ahead. Just that Scott Foster sucks in general.
bearister
The points in the paint and rebound differentials are humiliating.
bearister
Can't ESPN hire an additional color commentator to bring some balance to the broadcast team, maybe a fired ex Celtics coach with an axe to grind.
Big C

Warriors could use what James Wiseman might be, best case scenario, had he stayed completely healthy.
sycasey
bearister said:

They got out-worked. Not unheard of for the home team to do that in Game 3.
BearForce2
Draymond and Looney both had triple singles.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
bearister

Celtics move within two wins of title after holding off Warriors in Game 3

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jun/08/nba-finals-boston-celtics-golden-state-warriors-game-3?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

"The previous 39 times teams have split the first two games of the finals, the winner of Game 3 went on to win the series 82% of the time."
concordtom
Steve Kerr needs to try something different.
W's were out of ideas late.

I think we're going to have to finally accept that we actually lost to a better team in the Finals. (Because it didn't happen before)
concordtom
Kuminga?
DiabloWags
bearister said:

And so are the SLOW STARTS that have become endemic with the Dubs.

Looney and Dray had very poor games.
7 and 4 rebounds a piece.

Might have to put Wigs on Brown, early.
DiabloWags
concordtom said:

I think we're going to have to finally accept that we actually lost to a better team in the Finals. (Because it didn't happen before)

Debbie Downer much?
No need to watch game 4 or 5?
BearSD
Big C said:

Warriors could use what James Wiseman might be, best case scenario, had he stayed completely healthy.

The Trail Blazers could have used Greg Oden, had he stayed completely healthy.

sycasey
DiabloWags said:

concordtom said:

Debbie Downer much?

The Celtics have been up and down almost the whole postseason, so there's no guarantee they play well in the next one.
bearister
Jaylen Brown' 3P % at Cal was 29. His NBA career 3P % is 37. He was 50 last night.

Interesting article from 2020:

How Jaylen Brown Turned His Basketball Weaknesses into Strengths

https://bballwriters.com/profiles/how-jaylen-brown-turned-his-basketball-weaknesses-into-strengths/
DiabloWags
Amazing article.
Thanks for posting!

He was such a bust at CAL that his 2-point shooting was only 30.1%
A mind-blowing transformation to the player that he is today.
Simply mind-blowing!
BearSD
sycasey said:

DiabloWags said:

concordtom said:

Debbie Downer much?

The Celtics have been up and down almost the whole postseason, so there's no guarantee they play well in the next one.

That's what it's going to take, though. The Warriors will win the series if Boston has 3 more "off" games, and if the Warriors are better in those games than they were in game 3, and if Steph can play through his injury well enough to be effective.

Slater has it right in his article. The Warriors' interior defense and rebounding are just not good enough against the Celtics.

Quote:

When the Warriors bench Looney and do go small, Green, Porter and Wiggins must handle the defensive rebounding responsibility. Wiggins had seven rebounds. Green had four. Porter had only one. Payton had one. Collectively, they were weak on the interior and lost the game and potentially the series, considering Curry's unknown status because of it.

HoopDreams
Great analysis. Thanks for posting. I started following him on Twitter now.

"His loftier shooting results from every level are a product of sharper fundamentals and more confidence. Brown keeps his shooting elbow tucked in more consistently, and he doesn't rush his arm release as much as he used to. He also smoothed out his shooting release so it's more fluid and less mechanical, which is not a transition that all prospects can make."

These are 3 key things I watch for in a shooter. The other 2 are arc and balance.

Focusing on his point on shooting motion… with legs, body and arms all in a single flowing motion is probably the toughest to learn…

1. how did the player get to a the shooting position with knees bent?

2. Where did the ball start (low?),

3. what was the ball path to the release? (ball close to the body, and in line to the basket? Or away from body, or crossing the body)

4. Has there a hitch in the ball path (e.g. did the ball pause in the "shooting pocket" or not). This is an interesting one, as some people advocate the shooting pocket approach which is wrong to me)

5. Was the release high, with a strong wrist flick and no off hand influence? Did shooter hold the release?

6. Was the ball arc high, with a backwards rotation?

7. Was the players body lift straight up or slightly jumping forward (but not leaning or legs kicking out)

NBA players break these rules all the time, and amazingly still make the shots because they are so talented (e.g. they can catch the ball high and immediately shoot without loading their legs or bringing the ball down, or they can shoot off balance and twisted) but I'm talking about their base shooting form

bearister said:

Jaylen Brown' 3P % at Cal was 29. His NBA career 3P % is 37. He was 50 last night.

Interesting article from 2020:

How Jaylen Brown Turned His Basketball Weaknesses into Strengths

https://bballwriters.com/profiles/how-jaylen-brown-turned-his-basketball-weaknesses-into-strengths/
BearForce2
DiabloWags said:

Amazing article.
Thanks for posting!

Simply mind-blowing!

He was such a bust at Cal, Jalen Brown made all Pac-10 first team as the only freshman selected.
Interestingly, Gary Payton II was also selected first team the same year as a senior.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
MSaviolives
BearForce2 said:

DiabloWags said:

Amazing article.
Thanks for posting!

Simply mind-blowing!

He was such a bust at Cal, Jalen Brown made all Pac-10 first team as the only freshman selected.
Interestingly, Gary Payton II was also selected first team the same year as a senior.
I agree it is unfair to call him a bust. He was only a freshman and helped lead the team to the highest (#4) seed in decades. He had his issues, but he was a very good player, particularly for a freshman, as exemplified in his all P-10 first team status as BF aptly points out.
Big C
BearSD said:

Big C said:

Yes, I myself have made this comparison here (in the event that Wiseman can never get himself "right"). Hoping for the best.
joe amos yaks
Brown was not a bust; however, an ambitious coach, a perp assistant coach, plus a dimwitted immobile administration was a problem.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
ducky23
Well….that was concerning.

The Game 1 loss was a bit of an aberration. But the Game 3 loss was not. The warriors got beat in the paint, lost the rebounding battle, got outhustled, outmuscled and continuously got beat off the dribble. Those are things that are absolutely sustainable unless the warriors play with a lot more effort and force.

With all that said, if draymond plays well, the warriors still probably win that game. His energy was non existent and he sabotaged the warriors on both offense and defense.

I honestly don't know what to make with these huge swings in effort (from both teams) from game to game. You would think that this being the Finals, your effort level would be consistently high. But the warriors are going to warrior no matter what i suppose.

It's not over yet. Boston is wildly and annoyingly inconsistent. And I think draymond plays a ton better the next game. The key is defending point of attack. Wiggins/GP2 played their worst defensive game of the playoffs. They take their lead from draymond so he absolutely needs to play better.

Draymond did do one thing right. He used his 6th foul to push all the Boston players off of Steph when he got injured. That may have saved the season.
Big C

Odd that both teams seem to be alternating having crappy 4th quarters. From a fan's perspective, it'd be nice to have both teams playing strongly at the end of the game.
concordtom
DiabloWags said:

concordtom said:

Debbie Downer much?

The espn peeps were also bailing on the W's.
concordtom
DiabloWags said:

bearister said:

And so are the SLOW STARTS that have become endemic with the Dubs.

Looney and Dray had very poor games.
7 and 4 rebounds a piece.

Might have to put Wigs on Brown, early.

And then who guards Tatum?

I said it previously. If I were Jaylen Brown, I'd take Klay to the bucket every single time. "You can't guard me!"

Klay needs to return to being a spot shooter and defender. He's trying to be someone he wasn't pre-injury. And he can't defend like he did.

Sad but true.
concordtom
BearSD said:

Big C said:

Oooo. Ouch. That hurt!!

I would say I believe in wiseman, but I watched all his 3 G league games. Yeah, he scored, but he didn't wow or particularly even impress.
concordtom
sycasey said:

DiabloWags said:

concordtom said:

Debbie Downer much?

Nice theory.
I also recall a stretch where the Warriors were just about THE worst team in the nba.
concordtom
DiabloWags said:

Amazing article.
Thanks for posting!

Simply mind-blowing!

Our Cal coach really did a fantastic job. No wonder nobody has come here since.
concordtom
joe amos yaks said:

Brown was not a bust; however, an ambitious coach, a perp assistant coach, plus a dimwitted immobile administration was a problem.

A "dimwitted immobile administration" affected Brown's play on the court???
Come now.

Brown is one of my favorite players in the league.
sycasey
concordtom said:

sycasey said:

DiabloWags said:

concordtom said:

Debbie Downer much?

Nice theory.
I also recall a stretch where the Warriors were just about THE worst team in the nba.
It's not even a theory. Go look at the Celtics' results from the previous two series. They would look great and then look like crap in the very next game.
bearister
"The Warriors have wreaked havoc in the third quarter of all three NBA Finals games, but their performance in the other three has them in danger of falling into a 3-1 hole, Jeff writes.

By the numbers: The Warriors have outscored the Celtics 106-63 (+43) in the third quarter, but the Celtics have outscored them 261-209 (+52) the rest of the time." Axios

Morning trivia:

Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown are the second duo in NBA history to score 1,000 points in a single postseason while both age 25 or younger.

Question: Name the other duo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.