OT: Official Warriors vs Celtics 2022 NBA Finals Thread

32,012 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big C
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Chabbear said:

Ok, when does the NBA modern age begin?

1. ABA/NBA Merger 1976
2. NBA adds 3rd ref 1978
3. Magic and Bird enter the league and 3 pointers start 1979
4. Long shorts come in (Jordan era starts) 1984
5. Free agency 1988

Ideas
the Magic/Bird era is probably the cutoff point. You either include them in early era or the modern era

the 3 point line is another strong factor as no rule change has impacted the game more than that

Anybody who would put Magic and Bird in an "early era" is just trying to make me feel old! Cut it the heck out!

I was thinking, okay George Mikan, he would be in the early era... probably.
Let SFCityBear call this one.
DiabloWags
stu said:

What basketball and football (along with many other sports) do have is defense, accuracy, and teamwork. Those demonstrate dimensions of athleticism beyond strength and endurance.

All of the above can be found in Water Polo.

And Cal just happens to have one of the greatest coaches to have ever coached the sport. A former All-American and NCAA Champion that not only understands the "mechanics" of coaching, but the "art" of coaching as well.

stu
DiabloWags said:

stu said:

What basketball and football (along with many other sports) do have is defense, accuracy, and teamwork. Those demonstrate dimensions of athleticism beyond strength and endurance.

All of the above can be found in Water Polo.

And Cal just happens to have one of the greatest coaches to have ever coached the sport. A former All-American and NCAA Champion that not only understands the "mechanics" of coaching, but the "art" of coaching as well.

Excellent! Can he find us a like-minded basketball coach?
DiabloWags
https://www.offthedeckpodcast.com/podcast/2020/5/1/episode-24-interview-with-kirk-everist-head-mens-water-polo-coach-at-the-university-of-california

Ive listened to this interview of Kirk Everist not once, but twice given how fascinated I am when it comes to the "art" of coaching.

It's 1 hour and 25 minutes.
Well worth it!

ducky23
DiabloWags said:

https://www.offthedeckpodcast.com/podcast/2020/5/1/episode-24-interview-with-kirk-everist-head-mens-water-polo-coach-at-the-university-of-california

Ive listened to this interview of Kirk Everist not once, but twice given how fascinated I am when it comes to the "art" of coaching.

Well worth it!

Kirk Everist is probably the third best athlete ever from my high school
DiabloWags
ducky23 said:

DiabloWags said:

Well worth it!

Lots of very talented athletes out of Miramonte.

https://www.miramonteboostersclub.com/hall-of-fame
concordtom
Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Chabbear said:

1. ABA/NBA Merger 1976
2. NBA adds 3rd ref 1978
5. Free agency 1988

Ideas
the Magic/Bird era is probably the cutoff point. You either include them in early era or the modern era

the 3 point line is another strong factor as no rule change has impacted the game more than that

Anybody who would put Magic and Bird in an "early era" is just trying to make me feel old! Cut it the heck out!

I say there are multiple eras, not two.

3point shooting did not begin in 1979, but much later. Decades from now we'll see that Steph and Klay ushered in a new era: small ball. His record will be surpassed.

The bad boys and thug knicks ushered in the worst era. Thank god the league toughened up the contact rules!!
philbert
It's instructive to look at how Curry compares to other great players of the semi-recent past.

In terms of leading teams to multiple championships (3 or more), it's been Lebron and Steph for the past decade or so.

Before that, it was Kobe and Tim Duncan.

Then it was MJ and before that, it was Magic and Bird.

That's as far as I can go back and I think that's fairly incredible we've been able to witness it.
BearSD
concordtom said:

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Chabbear said:

3point shooting did not begin in 1979, but much later. Decades from now we'll see that Steph and Klay ushered in a new era: small ball. His record will be surpassed.

The bad boys and thug knicks ushered in the worst era. Thank god the league toughened up the contact rules!!
Two graphs re the rise in NBA 3-pt attempts:

The first graph shows that, on average, there are ten times as many 3-pt attempts per game now than there were in 1979-80, the first year the NBA had the 3-pt shot.

The second graph shows that 2014-15 was the first season in which the volume of 3-pt attempts exceeded the volume of mid-range 2-pt attempts outside the paint (sometimes called "non-paint 2s"), and that difference widened steadily after that. The volume of shots inside the paint has stayed pretty constant, but players are attempting far fewer non-paint 2s and attempting 3s instead. Coaches emphasize this as well, encouraging 3-pt attempts and discouraging non-paint 2s.

It makes sense analytically if you look at the success rates of shots in each area and the average number of points per shot in each of the three areas. Really, the only way to justify a high volume of non-paint 2s is if a player makes them at 60% or better, and AFAIK Kevin Durant is just about the only player who does that.
philbert
Would be interesting to see how those stats change in the playoffs where defenses are better. 3s and points in the paint are contested much more during the playoffs than the regular season. You saw the Dubs shoot a lot of midrange shots in the finals as they were reluctant to go against Time Lord.
BearSD
This is from basketball-reference.com which has a lot of useful stats but doesn't break down 2-pt attempts between paint and non-paint.

Boston averaged 37.1 3-pt attempts per game in the regular season, and 35.2 in the Finals. Their 3-pt percentage in the regular season was 35.6%, and in the Finals it was 40.8%. Their % was higher in the Finals than in the regular season, and higher in the Finals than the Warriors. GSW averaged 39.4 3-pt attempts per game in the regular season, and 41.8 in the Finals. Their 3-pt percentage was actually slightly better in the Finals (36.7%) than in the regular season (36.4%).

Looks surprising, but the W's give up a lot of open 3s and maybe even more so in this series as they emphasized shutting down the Celtics in the paint. The Celtics' overall shooting % in the Finals was 43.5%, lower than the Warriors' 44.6%, indicating that the Warriors were having more success in the paint.
philbert
BearSD said:

This is from basketball-reference.com which has a lot of useful stats but doesn't break down 2-pt attempts between paint and non-paint.

Boston averaged 37.1 3-pt attempts per game in the regular season, and 35.2 in the Finals. Their 3-pt percentage in the regular season was 35.6%, and in the Finals it was 40.8%. Their % was higher in the Finals than in the regular season, and higher in the Finals than the Warriors. GSW averaged 39.4 3-pt attempts per game in the regular season, and 41.8 in the Finals. Their 3-pt percentage was actually slightly better in the Finals (36.7%) than in the regular season (36.4%).

Looks surprising, but the W's give up a lot of open 3s and maybe even more so in this series as they emphasized shutting down the Celtics in the paint. The Celtics' overall shooting % in the Finals was 43.5%, lower than the Warriors' 44.6%, indicating that the Warriors were having more success in the paint.

Yeah, I definitely think Boston had to go with more 3s since GS helped so much against drives in the paint.

GS really attacked the paint whenever Time Lord was out of the game, especially as the series went on. They just relentlessly went after Horford, Grant Williams and Derrick White. Overall, they won because they got more possessions from Boston turnovers and getting offensive boards even with poorer shooting.
HoopDreams
listening to ESPN and NBA radio for several days after the Finals, a few common themes have emerged from multiple analysts, and even players themselves

Directly after the game, Jaylen said the Celtics showed their immaturity at times

Two other Celtic players said something along the lines of 'losing their poise'

Several of the Warriors players talked about how they've been here before and how that experience helped them

Anyone watching game 6 would have come to the same conclusion. The Celtics came out hot at the beginning of the game, but lost their poise with the 21-0 run.

Then in Q4 it Curry who led the Warriors, and even on broken plays, made things happen.

In contrast the Celtic Tadem just looked frustrated, and Green was flopping left, flopping right, and whining to the refs on every play. One of the NBA radio guys laughed at how the strong Green flew back and slid on the floor from the powerful 'impact' from Curry

joe amos yaks
Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Chabbear said:

1. ABA/NBA Merger 1976
2. NBA adds 3rd ref 1978
5. Free agency 1988

Ideas

Maybe Paul Arizin . . ?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
DiabloWags
Decent article in the SF Chronicle this morning on the Warrior's $350 million payroll and who will get extensions and which free agents the Warriors sign.
joe amos yaks
Who gets a bag?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
BearSD
IMO the Warriors' top contract priorities this summer should be Wiggins, Looney, and Poole in that order.
calumnus
BearSD said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Chabbear said:

The first graph shows that, on average, there are ten times as many 3-pt attempts per game now than there were in 1979-80, the first year the NBA had the 3-pt shot.

The second graph shows that 2014-15 was the first season in which the volume of 3-pt attempts exceeded the volume of mid-range 2-pt attempts outside the paint (sometimes called "non-paint 2s"), and that difference widened steadily after that. The volume of shots inside the paint has stayed pretty constant, but players are attempting far fewer non-paint 2s and attempting 3s instead. Coaches emphasize this as well, encouraging 3-pt attempts and discouraging non-paint 2s.

It makes sense analytically if you look at the success rates of shots in each area and the average number of points per shot in each of the three areas. Really, the only way to justify a high volume of non-paint 2s is if a player makes them at 60% or better, and AFAIK Kevin Durant is just about the only player who does that.

The other interesting thing is to see how long it takes for strategy to adapt to the incentives. The 3 point percentage hasn't changed, people have just spent decades figuring out you should be shooting more of them and 2 point shots outside the paint are a bad proposition. You definitely see it on the teams that make the playoffs.

On the college level some coaches still haven't figured it out. It is similar to the many decades it took for the forward pass to be maximized in football. It is amazing how conservative and tied to tradition coaches can be.
stu
calumnus said:

The other interesting thing is to see how long it takes for strategy to adapt to the incentives. The 3 point percentage hasn't changed, people have just spent decades figuring out you should be shooting more of them and 2 point shots outside the paint are a bad proposition. You definitely see it on the teams that make the playoffs.

On the college level some coaches still haven't figured it out. It is similar to the many decades it took for the forward pass to be maximized in football. It is amazing how conservative and tied to tradition coaches can be.
Good point.

I think it goes beyond coaching. I'd say most people in most jobs try to do what has worked before. It's a predictable, low-risk strategy. To do otherwise requires both imagination and analytic ability few of us possess.
ducky23
calumnus said:

BearSD said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Chabbear said:

Gee, I wonder who you could be talking about.

(Cal #296 in 3pt attempts)

calumnus
stu said:

calumnus said:

Good point.

I think it goes beyond coaching. I'd say most people in most jobs try to do what has worked before. It's a predictable, low-risk strategy. To do otherwise requires both imagination and analytic ability few of us possess.

Agreed, though given they are paid multiple $millions in salary you would think those with imagination and analytic ability would get hired more often. Steve Kerr is clearly one of those people.

3P FGs Made National Ranking
WSU #13
USF #16
Cal #324
BearSD
ducky23 said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Chabbear said:

Maybe, just maybe, it's a good idea for a college coach to be at least competent in recruiting, so that they can win some recruiting battles and get some players who are already good 3-pt shooters?
calumnus
ducky23 said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Chabbear said:

And #324 in 3P FGs made.

Fox is definitely an extreme example, but he is part of a large fraternity of old school coaches who are firmly attached to strategies and "motivational" techniques that became common practice in the Midwest (and elsewhere) before he was born and during his youth.
calumnus
BearSD said:

ducky23 said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Chabbear said:

Maybe, just maybe, it's a good idea for a college coach to be at least competent in recruiting, so that they can win some recruiting battles and get some players who are already good 3-pt shooters?

Agreed, everyone wants the athletic player with great size that can shoot threes. The next level question is, failing that, do you pursue the great shooter who is lacking in athleticism or is smaller, or the great athlete with length who is a poor shooter?
The former requires the coach rely more on strategy and schemes, both on offense and defense. The later is favored by coaches who emphasize man defense (Cuonzo Martin included, you can see it in his failing at Missouri)).

6'1" Michael Flowers of WSU lead the PAC-12 with 91 3P FGs made. 17% more than second place. Flowers was a zero star, unrated recruit out of Southfield, MI who originally signed with Western Michigan.

HoopDreams
calumnus said:

BearSD said:

ducky23 said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

concordtom said:

Agreed, everyone wants the athletic player with great size that can shoot threes. The next level question is, failing that, do you pursue the great shooter who is lacking in athleticism or is smaller, or the great athlete with length who is a poor shooter?
The former requires the coach rely more on strategy and schemes, both on offense and defense. The later is favored by coaches who emphasize man defense (Cuonzo Martin included, you can see it in his failing at Missouri)).

6'1" Michael Flowers of WSU lead the PAC-12 with 91 3P FGs made. 17% more than second place. Flowers was a zero star, unrated recruit out of Southfield, MI who originally signed with Western Michigan.
fox seems to focus on defense. since he arrived he recruited length ... that's resulted in a team full of 6-5 to 6-7 players. Nice on the wings defensively, but we don't have length in the post besides Lars, and he's not a rim protector.

...and someone's gotta put the rock in the hoop
HoopDreams
bearister
Well, we know what Stafford would have done in Klay's position:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
DiabloWags
Hahahahaha!!!

What a piece of dogcrap Stafford is.
Classic!
concordtom
ducky23 said:

DiabloWags said:

Well worth it!

I like Kirk.
But I never knew him to do anything outside of the water.
I'm kinda partial to the land sports: running, jumping, balance.
Well, hey, this is the basketball board, right? Universally known as the best overall athletes!

Most accomplished? Sure.
Best? Don't think so.
westcoast101
A lot of doubters this year, but the Dubs pulled through. Congrats to the champs!
DiabloWags
concordtom said:

ducky23 said:

DiabloWags said:

Well worth it!

I like Kirk.
Well, hey, this is the basketball board, right? Universally known as the best overall athletes!

Most accomplished? Sure.
Best? Don't think so.

I was speaking to his coaching ability.
Hence the link to the interview that I provided above.
Terrific interview!

okaydo
I posted this (accidentally) on OT. Then I posted it in a thread on the football board. So I thought I'd post it here. I'm sure some of you already know about this.

MSaviolives
okaydo said:

I posted this (accidentally) on OT. Then I posted it in a thread on the football board. So I thought I'd post it here. I'm sure some of you already know about this.

I had not seen that. Makes me like Steve even more. Great writing and sense of humor for a college kid. Also noted the Mike Silver Editor at the bottom, and even Vic Talfur as Night Editor.
concordtom
Was new to me.
Thx
concordtom
DiabloWags said:

concordtom said:

ducky23 said:

DiabloWags said:

Well worth it!

I like Kirk.

Most accomplished? Sure.
Best? Don't think so.

I was speaking to his coaching ability.
Hence the link to the interview that I provided above.
Terrific interview!

Thx.
I need to listen!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.