The Official 2024 Paris Olympics Thread

25,539 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by AunBear89
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

dajo9 said:

How do you define a woman?

In the 1960's and 1970's my final answer: Barbara Bouchet

If lovin' her is wrong, Big C don't wannabe right.
*80 years old now(My Cougar zone ….…..and they think I'm hot)

Back in the 20th century, she coulda beamed me up, for sure. Right, Scotty?
Eastern Oregon Bear
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

movielover said:

I guess this is what you are referring to here:

She was forced to box or she chose to box?

Let's be real about it. No one forced her.
I can't get too upset about it because Carini didn't even try. Khelif doesn't look especially powerful and due to the headgear, Olympic boxing is more about landing a greater number of punches with skill than knocking your opponent out. Carini certainly had a chance to do that.
dajo9
Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

It's really a shame the Olympics allowed Khelif to box in the woman's group. The issue of trans rights is so much bigger than athletic competitions but nothing does more to hurt the cause of trans rights than allowing these kinds of things to happen. The right pounces on these issues of athletics and gains support for all kinds of anti-trans rhetoric and beliefs. My friends on the left need to get realistic about the limits of transgender people being involved in athletic competitions. Then we can move onto the more important matters in the transgender community.

I have to edit this comment as I have read more about this situation. I should have known better than to take a Cal88 post at face value.

Imane Khelif was born and assigned female at birth. She is not transgender, which is illegal in Algeria. This situation has nothing to do with the issue of being transgender. It seems like a very complicated situation and I feel badly that Khelif is going through all this. How do you define a woman?

Imane Khelif was disqualified by the International Boxing Association from an international boxing tournament last year for having XY chromozones and elevated levels of testosterone.

She's most likely not trans, there are pictures of her as a little girl where she does look like, well, a little girl, but she presents a rare case of intersex where she has male genetic characteristics and unusually high levels of testosterone.

You have to feel bad for Khelif as her condition is probably natural and not boosted/juiced, but this being said, is it fair to her opponents? The IBA said no, while the IOC said yes. I tend to agree with the former, but this being said, the memes and outrages are a bit uncalled for given Khelif's seems like a case of an honest woman who did not cheat to get there.

Grey zone.

Answer from Wikipedia circa 2000s -

"women are of the female sex and inherit a pair of X chromosomes, one from each parent, and fertile women are capable of pregnancy and giving birth from puberty until menopause. More generally, sex differentiation of the female fetus is governed by the lack of a present, or functioning, SRY gene on either one of the respective sex chromosomes.

Female anatomy is distinguished from male anatomy by the female reproductive system, which includes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, and vulva. An adult woman generally has a wider pelvis, broader hips, and larger breasts than an adult man. These characteristics facilitate childbirth and breastfeeding. Women typically have less facial and other body hair, have a higher body fat composition, and are on average shorter and less muscular than men."

You are arguing there are more than 2 genders. What is the definition of the 3rd gender?

Also, you are saying we cant know gender until we subject everybody to a lab test. Or do we only subject the people you think look different?

The 2 genders cover over 99% of natural cases.

The current discourse of gender dysphoria is about using these highly unusual outlier cases to overturn long-standing rational norms and push a year zero agenda that is negatively affecting and destabilizing young people.

You are making progress. You now admit that God (in your view) in His perfect glory has put people on Earth that don't match your circa 2000's definitions of gender. Either your definitions are wrong or there is a 3rd gender. Grey zone gender, as you call it. That 1% of what you call the grey zone gender is exactly the type that is going to be in court. That's exactly why it is not appropriate for a judge to lay out clear definitions of gender when no judge can know beforehand all the varieties of gender God will find the wisdom to bring into their court room. Humility is a good thing.

The current discourse is about empathy and compassion for these people. Your friends hunt them down online, where they try to find community of other similar people and express themselves and share themselves. Then your friends try to humiliate them in front of a larger more mainstream audience for political gain. Sometimes leading to direct harm to these people. Is that your God's way?

Let's make an imaginary friend we can call Pat. Pat was born with a vagina and XY chromosome. That 3rd gender you have named grey zone. When Pat was little Pat looked like a little girl. In elementary school Pat went to the girls bathroom and played tennis with girls. In high school Pat took on more masculine features. Pat is starting to look like a young man. Do we take Pat to a lab for testing so scientists can tell Pat what bathroom Pat belongs in and who Pat can play tennis with? Or do we just say to Pat, hey, go to the bathroom where you fill most comfortable. Play tennis with the people you feel most comfortable. That's my way.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
oski003
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

It's really a shame the Olympics allowed Khelif to box in the woman's group. The issue of trans rights is so much bigger than athletic competitions but nothing does more to hurt the cause of trans rights than allowing these kinds of things to happen. The right pounces on these issues of athletics and gains support for all kinds of anti-trans rhetoric and beliefs. My friends on the left need to get realistic about the limits of transgender people being involved in athletic competitions. Then we can move onto the more important matters in the transgender community.

I have to edit this comment as I have read more about this situation. I should have known better than to take a Cal88 post at face value.

Imane Khelif was born and assigned female at birth. She is not transgender, which is illegal in Algeria. This situation has nothing to do with the issue of being transgender. It seems like a very complicated situation and I feel badly that Khelif is going through all this. How do you define a woman?

Imane Khelif was disqualified by the International Boxing Association from an international boxing tournament last year for having XY chromozones and elevated levels of testosterone.

She's most likely not trans, there are pictures of her as a little girl where she does look like, well, a little girl, but she presents a rare case of intersex where she has male genetic characteristics and unusually high levels of testosterone.

You have to feel bad for Khelif as her condition is probably natural and not boosted/juiced, but this being said, is it fair to her opponents? The IBA said no, while the IOC said yes. I tend to agree with the former, but this being said, the memes and outrages are a bit uncalled for given Khelif's seems like a case of an honest woman who did not cheat to get there.

Grey zone.

Answer from Wikipedia circa 2000s -

"women are of the female sex and inherit a pair of X chromosomes, one from each parent, and fertile women are capable of pregnancy and giving birth from puberty until menopause. More generally, sex differentiation of the female fetus is governed by the lack of a present, or functioning, SRY gene on either one of the respective sex chromosomes.

Female anatomy is distinguished from male anatomy by the female reproductive system, which includes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, and vulva. An adult woman generally has a wider pelvis, broader hips, and larger breasts than an adult man. These characteristics facilitate childbirth and breastfeeding. Women typically have less facial and other body hair, have a higher body fat composition, and are on average shorter and less muscular than men."

You are arguing there are more than 2 genders. What is the definition of the 3rd gender?

Also, you are saying we cant know gender until we subject everybody to a lab test. Or do we only subject the people you think look different?

The 2 genders cover over 99% of natural cases.

The current discourse of gender dysphoria is about using these highly unusual outlier cases to overturn long-standing rational norms and push a year zero agenda that is negatively affecting and destabilizing young people.

You are making progress. You now admit that God (in your view) in His perfect glory has put people on Earth that don't match your circa 2000's definitions of gender. Either your definitions are wrong or there is a 3rd gender. Grey zone gender, as you call it. That 1% of what you call the grey zone gender is exactly the type that is going to be in court. That's exactly why it is not appropriate for a judge to lay out clear definitions of gender when no judge can no beforehand all the varieties of gender God will find the wisdom to bring into their court room. Humility is a good thing.

The current discourse is about empathy and compassion for these people. Your friends hunt them down online, where they try to find community of other similar people and express themselves and share themselves. Then your friends try to humiliate them in front of a larger more mainstream audience for political gain. Sometimes leading to direct harm to these people. Is that your God's way?

Let's make an imaginary friend we can call Pat. Pat was born with a vagina and XY chromosome. That 3rd gender you have named grey zone. When Pat was little Pat looked like a little girl. In elementary school Pat went to the girls bathroom and played tennis with girls. In high school Pat took on more masculine features. Pat is starting to look like a young man. Do we take Pat to a lab for testing so scientists can tell Pat what bathroom Pat belongs in and who Pat can play tennis with? Or do we just say to Pat, hey, go to the bathroom where you fill most comfortable. Play tennis with the people you feel most comfortable. That's my way.

How many Pats are there versus how many folks who were clearly physically born a specific gender but have gender dysphoria and feel they don't align with their biological gender?
sycasey
Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

movielover said:

I guess this is what you are referring to here:

Grey zone.
The "XY chromosome" claim also comes from ONE guy from the IBA who stated it. The actual organization doesn't make any claims about chromosomes, only says she failed a test for elevated testosterone (the results of which haven't been shown to anybody). There's also the complication that a lot of other organizations (including the IOC) think the IBA is untrustworthy and corrupt, so it's hard to say what is true here. Khelif had competed in women's tournaments before, including the previous Olympics when testing for testosterone levels would have been in place. She has a good record (good enough to make the Olympics), but not a dominant one. She didn't medal in the previous Games.

So basically: she might be intersex, but we don't really know. Even if she is, her performance isn't out of line with other women in her division. The evidence is murky. Everyone needs to calm down.
dajo9
Angela Carisi owes Khelif an apology for her poor sportsmanship after the fight
sycasey
dajo9 said:

Already done:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/articles/c2j3jg51rg4o
bear2034

What about this girl or dude?
dajo9
sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Already done:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/articles/c2j3jg51rg4o

That's good to see. She is more dignified than our former President, who is a loser and conducts himself in that manner.
movielover
Ridiculous. Wokeism.
dajo9
movielover said:

Ridiculous. Wokeism.

Why do you hate God?
sycasey
Lin Yu-Ting seems to be in the same situation as Khelif: born as a girl, always lived as a woman, might have XY chromosomes or some other intersex condition but it's unclear.
oski003
dajo9 said:

movielover said:

Ridiculous. Wokeism.

Why do you hate God?

Why do you think he hates God?
oski003
sycasey said:

Lin Yu-Ting seems to be in the same situation as Khelif: born as a girl, always lived as a woman, might have XY chromosomes or some other intersex condition but it's unclear.

An international sports governing body says Khelif is XY. You say it is unclear. It is relevant here. My understanding is based on them being XY.
dimitrig
sycasey said:

Neither of these women have dominated the competition like the fear mongering right would have you believe.

Lin Yu-ting is 19-5 and has never won by KO

Imane Khelif is 42-9 with 6 wins by KO

They obviously can and have been beaten by women. Should we be suspicious of all the women that beat them, too?

sycasey
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

An international sports governing body says Khelif is XY. You say it is unclear. It is relevant here. My understanding is based on them being XY.
Read my post above:

https://bearinsider.com/forums/6/topics/121471/replies/2356621

The head of this governing body (who wasn't around at the time of the tests) stated she was XY in an interview, but the actual organization does not say that in any official statement. The IOC also now considers this organization untrustworthy and no longer an official governing body for Olympic purposes. They also haven't given details on what kinds of tests were done.

So I think this is murky. There's some evidence of the XY condition, but not definitive.
oski003
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

Neither of these women have dominated the competition like the fear mongering right would have you believe.

They obviously can and have been beaten by women. Should we be suspicious of all the women that beat them, too?

Does this mean we shouldn't test a professional athlete for steroids unless they are the best player in their sport?
GoOskie
I just watched the fight for the first time just now. I counted maybe two hits to the face. Punches were nothing substantial at all. Did she quit out of protest?
sycasey
Further detail on why I think the IBA testing is murky. The Russian leadership of the organization seemed to have self-serving reasons for disqualifying Khelif.

Doesn't automatically make them wrong, but I'm not just going to take their word for it at this point.
dimitrig
oski003 said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

Does this mean we shouldn't test a professional athlete for steroids unless they are the best player in their sport?

It means that these statements that "someone's going to get hurt" and "XYZ was pummeled by a man" are just fear mongering. Women can and have beaten them and they have boxed for years without anyone being seriously hurt by them.

We can argue about whether they have an advantage over other women, but it's not an overwhelming advantage like if we were putting Floyd Mayweather in the ring with women.

Cal88
sycasey said:

Further detail on why I think the IBA testing is murky. The Russian leadership of the organization seemed to have self-serving reasons for disqualifying Khelif.

Doesn't automatically make them wrong, but I'm not just going to take their word for it at this point.

Ah yes, always the Rooskies...

Algeria happens to be a close ally of Russia, so that theory doesn't hold water, a Russian judge wouldn't go out of his way to disqualify an Algerian competitor, assuming that judge is corrupt or heavily biased. As well, the IBA leadership consists of mostly non-aligned countries that would not be predisposed to be biased against an Algerian competitor:
https://www.iba.sport/about-iba/organizational-structure/iba-board-of-directors/

Quote:

The "XY chromosome" claim also comes from ONE guy from the IBA who stated it. The actual organization doesn't make any claims about chromosomes, only says she failed a test for elevated testosterone (the results of which haven't been shown to anybody).

You're also wrong about this, the IBA test that failed Khelif was not based on elevated testosterone levels, which implies that she did fail the XY chromozone test.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

You're also wrong about this, the IBA test that failed Khelif was not based on elevated testosterone levels, which implies that she did fail the XY chromozone test.

I don't think I'm wrong about the IBA failing to disclose the nature of the test, though.

Again, I don't dismiss the possibility that she had XY chromosomes. I just don't think this evidence is solid.
bearister
Not one guy from Cal on the Gold Medal winning rowing team based in Oakland. Sad.

Olympic - USRowing

https://usrowing.org/teams/olympic?gender=men&page=1#paginated-list
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
bearister said:

Not one guy from Cal on the Gold Medal winning rowing team based in Oakland. Sad.

Olympic - USRowing

https://usrowing.org/teams/olympic?gender=men&page=1#paginated-list

I think Cal won the NCAAs last year in 8+. Sometimes it just works out that you have a good team but no superstars. (oops, see EDIT at the bottom of this post)

At least half of the guys in your link were listed as residing in Oakland, which means they have been training as members of the "California Rowing Club", which is a club specifically for preparing post-college guys (from any college) for the Olympics. They train out of the Cal boathouse on the Oakland Estuary (near the foot of the Park Street bridge over to Alameda). Their jerseys look like the American Flag!

I'm pretty sure Cal either does not currently give scholarships to male rowers, or they have a few that a bunch of rowers split. I believe the women get more scholarships, to help offset all the football schollies for Title IX.

There might be somebody here who knows more about this than me, if I am wrong about something or missed some detail.

EDIT: (I did my own research.) Cal has a number of alumni rowing in the Olympics, just not for the US team. Just for the men alone, they have guys representing Australia, New Zealand, the Netherlands and Germany.
Big C
dimitrig said:

oski003 said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

It means that these statements that "someone's going to get hurt" and "XYZ was pummeled by a man" are just fear mongering. Women can and have beaten them and they have boxed for years without anyone being seriously hurt by them.

We can argue about whether they have an advantage over other women, but it's not an overwhelming advantage like if we were putting Floyd Mayweather in the ring with women.

If we're going to put Floyd Mayweather in the ring with women (plural), how about him against Laura Ingraham, Sarah Huckabee Sanders and Candace Owens. Three against one! I don't think I'd pop for $75 pay-per-view, but I'd definitely watch it later on youtube or something.
bearister
This triggered the memory of the farcical Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor alleged boxing match. Mayweather could have beat him in the 1st Round because boxing rules applied. Conor could beat Mayweather in the 1st Round under MMA rules.

* Mayweather reportedly earned $280 million from the fight and McGregor earned $130 million. Mayweather was 40 at the time, Conor 29. In the ring when the fight started McGregor outweighed Mayweather by 20 lbs.
bearister
Lyles underestimates field; gets 2nd in 100m heat

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/40714852/noah-lyles-semis-finishes-2nd-100m-heat

*Kung Fu Kenny (known as a 200m specialist) tied for 1st for fastest 100m heat time of the day with Fred Kerley. Noah Lyles (also known as a 200m specialist) was 12th.
bearister

Grant Fisher took bronze with an unbelievable finish in the 10,000m final, becoming the second American to medal in the event since 1964. The top 13 finishers all broke the Olympic record in a historically fast race, which was won by Uganda's Joshua Cheptegei.

Team USA's 4x400 mixed relay team set the first world record of the Paris 2024 track program, smashing the previous mark by 1.39 seconds in Friday's prelims.
YahooSportsAM
bearister
This explains why me and that Frenchman in the packed Speedo that went viral didn't go into pole vaulting.

bearister
Didn't see the performances the Dutch women had in the mixed 4 x 400 mixed relay coming. Talk about after burners.
Cal88
After burners on the pool, 17yo Canadian Summer McIntosh surges past Alex Walsh to win her 3rd gold in the 200m IM medal. Dominant performance in the last 50 freestyle, where she made up almost a full length on Walsh, McIntosh looks like the current and future superstar in women swimming.

prospeCt
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/aug/03/trinity-rodmans-extra-time-stunner-sends-uswnt-to-final-four-at-paris-olympics

https://www.si.com/olympics/alex-morgan-shared-emotional-message-after-being-left-off-uswnt-olympic-roster
bearister
movielover
Didn't Barry typically start his White House days around noon with an official lunch?
Eastern Oregon Bear
I like how Obama both constantly manipulates and controls Biden and Harris and also only put in a few lazy hours a day as President.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.