COVID disappears Nov 4th?

129,330 Views | 1376 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
LMK5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Interesting article detailing a study from the European Journal of Clinical Investigation that shows that lockdowns aren't very effective: https://www.newsweek.com/covid-lockdowns-have-no-clear-benefit-vs-other-voluntary-measures-international-study-shows-1561656

Would this study have been able to be released before Biden won?

Even by your usually low standards this is an idiotic question.

By the way, the "voluntary" measures cited are considered too stringent for many of the "reasonable and intelligent people" that you love to talk about. But that didn't factor into your decision to post since, like hanky, you will post any article that makes any statement that criticizes any public health measures.
The real problem is that you won't criticize any public health measures, even if science refutes them. You give politicians way too much rope that they haven't earned. I'm confident one day you'll wake up. California's so-called public health measures, the strictest in the nation, have resulted in our state being the epicenter of Covid in America. We're also in the caboose as far as vaccine administration. We'll wait patiently for your thorough explanation of the situation which I'm sure includes glowing praise for our state government.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and the more you post on this topic the more obvious that becomes.

So the real problem is that Unit2Sucks won't criticize Newsom? Is that why SoCal has a raging COVID problem whereas my city and region is doing comparatively quite well? If you look at my posting history instead of relying on your foggy comprehension, you will see that I regularly criticize all manner of politicians. I criticized Newsom when he ate at TFL and I believe he was weak to cave to the SoCal anti public health brigadiers this summer. Unfortunately, Newsom and public health officials can't save SoCal from themselves.

Unfortunately you don't appear to process any of this information so you conclude that public health measures are ineffective because SoCal can't follow the rules. Maybe if you saw how successful places that follow the rules are, you would feel differently? Who am I kidding, you know the answer without even looking at the problem.
You're saying that SoCal is not following the rules? Why would California's rule breaking surpass all other states' rule breaking to the degree that has forced our case rates to have soared? Where's the proof? It's those other states that have bad weather that has driven people indoors for gatherings, not here. It's obvious stuff but nobody wants to address it. Admitting we have no idea what's going on is tough for humans LOL.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
BeachedBear
LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Interesting article detailing a study from the European Journal of Clinical Investigation that shows that lockdowns aren't very effective: https://www.newsweek.com/covid-lockdowns-have-no-clear-benefit-vs-other-voluntary-measures-international-study-shows-1561656

By the way, the "voluntary" measures cited are considered too stringent for many of the "reasonable and intelligent people" that you love to talk about. But that didn't factor into your decision to post since, like hanky, you will post any article that makes any statement that criticizes any public health measures.
The real problem is that you won't criticize any public health measures, even if science refutes them. You give politicians way too much rope that they haven't earned. I'm confident one day you'll wake up. California's so-called public health measures, the strictest in the nation, have resulted in our state being the epicenter of Covid in America. We're also in the caboose as far as vaccine administration. We'll wait patiently for your thorough explanation of the situation which I'm sure includes glowing praise for our state government.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and the more you post on this topic the more obvious that becomes.

So the real problem is that Unit2Sucks won't criticize Newsom? Is that why SoCal has a raging COVID problem whereas my city and region is doing comparatively quite well? If you look at my posting history instead of relying on your foggy comprehension, you will see that I regularly criticize all manner of politicians. I criticized Newsom when he ate at TFL and I believe he was weak to cave to the SoCal anti public health brigadiers this summer. Unfortunately, Newsom and public health officials can't save SoCal from themselves.

Unfortunately you don't appear to process any of this information so you conclude that public health measures are ineffective because SoCal can't follow the rules. Maybe if you saw how successful places that follow the rules are, you would feel differently? Who am I kidding, you know the answer without even looking at the problem.
You're saying that SoCal is not following the rules? Why would California's rule breaking surpass all other states' rule breaking to the degree that has forced our case rates to have soared? Where's the proof? It's those other states that have bad weather that has driven people indoors for gatherings, not here. It's obvious stuff but nobody wants to address it. Admitting we have no idea what's going on is tough for humans LOL.
Whoops! Your underwear is showing.
bearister
Oakland gets an unfortunate shoutout:

"As the national death toll from the virus nears 400,000, a horrifying milestone," the N.Y. Times writes (subscription), "people in the United States have been dying of Covid-19 at the highest rate of the pandemic. The new tally is the equivalent of wiping out a city the size of Oakland, Calif.

"It is on the order of Sept. 11 deaths more than a hundred times over."
"At that scale, the human brain compensates with a defense that political psychologists call 'psychic numbing.'" Axios
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C

If the Bay Area counties together were a state, we would be much better than average overall on COVID, even though we, too, are getting hit by our biggest wave right now.
sycasey
LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

What do other states have to do with it? Case rates are soaring everywhere, as was predicted to happen in the winter months. California can't control everything.
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

What do other states have to do with it? Case rates are soaring everywhere, as was predicted to happen in the winter months. California can't control everything.
He's the type of person who sees someone survive a round of Russian Roulette and thinks "how do we know guns kill people?"

Even his best sources to drive home the anti public health narrative he favors make it clear that social distancing and mask-wearing are effective. If SoCal did a better job with those two things, they would have a smaller outbreak, all things being equal. That's true of the bay area as well. Our compliance could be better and we would have better results. LMK5 will continue to scour the internet for any reference which indicates any mistake made by a public health official or any evidence, no matter how faint, that stronger measures may not be appropriate in all situations. But he's not looking for a rational outcome - just any hook to argue for a lighter public health response.
LMK5
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Looking at other states gives us a basis for comparison. What we need to look at is this: Why would California's case rate explode in comparison to other states when we have the strictest measures? Any reference to fall and winter driving people inside where spread is riskiest would apply much more so to other states (they have weather; we don't).

Given these facts, why would our case rate be up so much higher than other places (it tripled in November)? At best it would seem that case rates should be expanding fairly uniformly across states, but that isn't what's happened since November. It would be interesting to find out why. My take is that a mask is a 3dB attenuator and we need to be wearing 20dB attenuators.
sycasey
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Looking at other states gives us a basis for comparison. What we need to look at is this: Why would California's case rate explode in comparison to other states when we have the strictest measures? Any reference to fall and winter driving people inside where spread is riskiest would apply much more so to other states (they have weather; we don't).

Given these facts, why would our case rate be up so much higher than other places (it tripled in November)? At best it would seem that case rates should be expanding fairly uniformly across states, but that isn't what's happened since November. It would be interesting to find out why. My take is that a mask is a 3dB attenuator and we need to be wearing 20dB attenuators.
It's hard to predict exactly when and where a new outbreak will happen (this is true of any disease), but that's why it's useful to look at a larger data set to draw conclusions about what measures were successful. California's overall low rates indicate that the state has been successful in suppressing the virus relative to its population.

You wanting to hyper-focus on one smaller period of time (November) indicates you have an agenda.

You also seem to have cherry-picked the one study that says what you want it to say so that you can come in here and claim the liberals are "against science." From your own linked article:

Quote:

The study was conducted by researchers affiliated with Stanford University, and was co-authored by Jay Bhattacharya, a professor of medicine and economics who has been a vocal opponent of coronavirus lockdowns since March.

Sounds like the researchers might have had an agenda there. Also from the article:

Quote:

For additional context, other studies have oppositely determined that lockdown orders have effectively saved millions of lives.

A study published in the journal Nature by researchers at Imperial College London in June found that some 3.1 million deaths had been averted due to lockdowns across Europe early on in the pandemic.

"This data suggests that without any interventions, such as lockdown and school closures, there could have been many more deaths from COVID-19. The rate of transmission has declined from high levels to ones under control in all European countries we study," Dr. Samir Bhatt, an author of the study from Imperial College London said in June, according to the university.

"Careful consideration should now be given to the continued measures that are needed to keep SARS-CoV-2 transmission under control," he added.

A second study published alongside that report in Nature, and led by scientists in the United States, found that 530 million coronavirus infections had been avoided due to early lockdowns in China, South Korea, Italy, Iran, France and the United States, according to the news outlet.

So who is going against the science again?

I'm happy to discuss where public-safety measures may be unnecessary or overly restrictive. I've commented on some of those myself. But we should be honest about what the scientific consensus actually is.
BearlyCareAnymore
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Because it is easier to triple a low number than a high number.

I told you this was going to happen based on the moronic behavior leading into November and the way the numbers were turning. When I said the US would be up to 1500 to 2000 deaths per day, you said no to that extremely conservative estimate and that it was fear mongering.

The Bay Area paid the price for its lapse going into Thanksgiving. It (knock on wood) seems to have peaked - last week the rates were significantly down over the prior.
LMK5
OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

I told you this was going to happen based on the moronic behavior leading into November and the way the numbers were turning. When I said the US would be up to 1500 to 2000 deaths per day, you said no to that extremely conservative estimate and that it was fear mongering.

The Bay Area paid the price for its lapse going into Thanksgiving. It (knock on wood) seems to have peaked - last week the rates were significantly down over the prior.
We can argue back and forth about numbers, but I think it's fair to say that given California's strict measures and high compliance, we should be doing much better than we are. That's my opinion. I'm seeing people throw their hands up regarding the lockdown measures. UC recently announced in-person classes for fall as new cases in California were topping 40k per day. Do you find that strange? Cuomo has started signaling that if NY doesn't open up its economy soon, they won't have anything to open up. He then allowed fans at the Bills' playoff games. Lori Lightfoot is also seemingly turning the corner on lockdown measures. I'm seeing a pronounced shift in thinking that highlights the need to take smarter, more targeted measures.

I'm hoping that the rate of vaccinations accelerates the same way testing did last year. My fear is that we will find that the vaccine is only as effective as the flu vaccine.
sycasey
LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

We can argue back and forth about numbers, but I think it's fair to say that given California's strict measures and high compliance, we should be doing much better than we are. That's my opinion. I'm seeing people throw their hands up regarding the lockdown measures. UC recently announced in-person classes for fall as new cases in California were topping 40k per day. Do you find that strange? Cuomo has started signaling that if NY doesn't open up its economy soon, they won't have anything to open up. He then allowed fans at the Bills' playoff games. Lori Lightfoot is also seemingly turning the corner on lockdown measures. I'm seeing a pronounced shift in thinking that highlights the need to take smarter, more targeted measures.
I don't find any of this strange. There is now a 95% effective vaccine rolling out. It makes sense for these institutions to start looking down the road at what they can reopen and when. When there was no vaccine we had to take more stringent measures.
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

I don't find any of this strange. There is now a 95% effective vaccine rolling out. It makes sense for these institutions to start looking down the road at what they can reopen and when. When there was no vaccine we had to take more stringent measures.
What's more, when people actually follow the recommended public health measures - masking plus social distancing - you don't need as stringent measures. It's because of the selfish "freedom fighters" that we have to have a more heavy handed state response for the same impact. It's just as true in many other people management disciplines whether it's coaching or parenting - you give people more rope when you know they can handle it. Sadly, too many in the US of 'murica can't handle it. And then they complain that they're being "punished" for failing to adhere to voluntary standard that are put in place to help reduce the need for stricter measures. LMK5 proves this with every post.
B.A. Bearacus

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-us-maps-and-cases/
Unit2Sucks
B.A. Bearacus said:

Last seven days:

That's the wrong chart. The chart doesn't show 7 day average it shows all time, regardless of what you select up above on that page.

According to the NYT, CA is no. 2 to LMK5's model state of Arizona over the last 7 days, averaging 95 cases per 100k. If you drill down, LA county's average is 137 per day per 100k. San Bernardino is a little worse and Riverside is a little better. San Francisco's is 35 and the statewide average is 95. Marin is doing a little worse than SF and the worst big bay area county (SC) is still better than the best SoCal counties. SF would be a top 10 state right now (and is more populated than 4 out of the top 10).

Take a look at the map below and see if anyone can figure out a trend. And then come back and tell us if compliance with public health measures matters.

LMK5
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

All things being equal I can see people planning for reopening things, but in the middle of the pandemic's worst surge? Doesn't quite add up to me. I have a feeling the dollars are starting to talk louder than the virus.

In other news, our state is dead freakin' last among 50 in vaccinations per 100k and we can't even blame the weather. Sigh....
Unit2Sucks
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

All things being equal I can see people planning for reopening things, but in the middle of the pandemic's worst surge? Doesn't quite add up to me. I have a feeling the dollars are starting to talk louder than the virus.

In other news, our state is dead freakin' last among 50 in vaccinations per 100k and we can't even blame the weather. Sigh....
Source for the bold claim? I know we are far down the list but didn't realize we were dead last.
calpoly
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Please move to texassistan or floriduh so we don't have to hear from you anymore!
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Source for the bold claim? I know we are far down the list but didn't realize we were dead last.

This article says Arkansas is dead last. California is below average but not too near the bottom.

https://fortune.com/2021/01/13/covid-vaccine-update-us-states-by-state-coronavirus-vaccine-data-how-many-vaccines/
BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
dimitrig
Unit2Sucks said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Last seven days:

That's the wrong chart. The chart doesn't show 7 day average it shows all time, regardless of what you select up above on that page.

According to the NYT, CA is no. 2 to LMK5's model state of Arizona over the last 7 days, averaging 95 cases per 100k. If you drill down, LA county's average is 137 per day per 100k. San Bernardino is a little worse and Riverside is a little better. San Francisco's is 35 and the statewide average is 95. Marin is doing a little worse than SF and the worst big bay area county (SC) is still better than the best SoCal counties. SF would be a top 10 state right now (and is more populated than 4 out of the top 10).

Take a look at the map below and see if anyone can figure out a trend. And then come back and tell us if compliance with public health measures matters.

I don't think it is wholly a compliance issue. I think it is more about demographics. I have been looking at cases across SoCal and the areas most similar to NorCal have about the same statistics. In my own city the wealthy ZIP codes have very little COVID relative to the average but the poor ones have a rate many times higher.

Wealthy people are able to telecommute, order online, and have their food delivered. If they do get sick they seek out testing and healthcare. They are also able to isolate and generally only get their immediate family sick. In the poor areas people don't have those options and they live many generations in a household. Someone in the household gets sick at a job they have to go work at (warehouse, grocery store, gas station) and then lots of people get sick including their coworkers.

LA Times did a story about grocery store outbreaks. The least impacted? Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. The most? Food 4 Less.

To be sure, NorCal has some very poor areas as well but SoCal has more and it is exacerbated by some jackasses in places like OC that think they don't need to comply.

calpoly
dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Last seven days:

I don't think it is wholly a compliance issue. I think it is more about demographics. I have been looking at cases across SoCal and the areas most similar to NorCal have about the same statistics. In my own city the wealthy ZIP codes have very little COVID relative to the average but the poor ones have a rate many times higher.

Wealthy people are able to telecommute, order online, and have their food delivered. If they do get sick they seek out testing and healthcare. They are also able to isolate and generally only get their immediate family sick. In the poor areas people don't have those options and they live many generations in a household. Someone in the household gets sick at a job they have to go work at (warehouse, grocery store, gas station) and then lots of people get sick including their coworkers.

LA Times did a story about grocery store outbreaks. The least impacted? Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. The most? Food 4 Less.

To be sure, NorCal has some very poor areas as well but SoCal has more and it is exacerbated by some jackasses in places like OC that think they don't need to comply.

Hmmm. Who might be one of the jackasses on this board from the OC?
sycasey
calpoly said:

dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Last seven days:

Yeah, OC kind of blows up the idea that it's just about wealthy areas doing better.
dimitrig
sycasey said:

calpoly said:

dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Last seven days:

Yeah, OC kind of blows up the idea that it's just about wealthy areas doing better.

Demographics is not just about wealth. It is about cultural norms, race, density, etc.

Take a look at racial disparity.

In CA Asians have the lowest rate of COVID-19 positives. Caucasians are 1.2 times higher. African-Americans are 1.5 times higher. However, Latinos are 3.0 times higher!

(Source: https://covid19.ca.gov/equity/)

Do you think Latinos are more genetically suspectible to COVID-19? Maybe. It's possible.

Latinos in CA tend to have a little bit higher incomes than blacks so you are right it is not JUST about income but that doesn't mean income doesn't have a large role. I think income definitely plays a role in how and why Asians and caucasians are doing better.

Anyway, this was about NorCal and SoCal and compliance.

I don't think that SoCal is complying any more or less than NorCal *FOR ANY GIVEN DEMOGRAPHIC* except perhaps maybe compliance is a bit worse amongst wealthy whites in places like OC. However, their rates are still relatively low and I don't think those communities are driving this surge in cases,

The surge in cases is amongst the Latin-American community and I think that is mostly social-economic. SoCal has a MUCH larger Latin-American community and the stats reflect that. I think that's most of it.

Eastern Oregon Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Last seven days:

I've been trying to hover over the map, but my damn feet are stubbornly remaining anchored to the floor.
LMK5
Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

As of this morning we're "movin' on up." We leap-frogged South Carolina: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/map-covid-19-vaccination-tracker-across-u-s-n1252085
LMK5
dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Last seven days:

You're correct on the demographics angle. In OC, the majority of cases are in Anaheim and Santa Ana which follows the trend in your analysis.
hanky1
dimitrig
hanky1 said:

That is what happens when you are unpopular but govern as if you are.

Who was pulling for Donald other than those wackos who stormed the Capital?

BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Last seven days:

That would be all well and good if it weren't for the fact that if you compare demographically similar communities between SoCal and the Bay Area the Bay Area rates are still much lower.
BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

hanky1 said:

The Amazon letter is not about trying to help. It is about lobbying the new administration to get priority in vaccine distribution.
hanky1
dimitrig said:

hanky1 said:

In other words...Bezos couldn't put aside politics (just like many liberals...many of you) to save lives. Rather, they sacrificed lives for the "greater good" in their minds of getting rid of Trump.

I mean...we all know it's true. Why can't you guys just be honest and admit it. Honestly i'd have so much more respect for you alls if you just admitted you wanted people to die to make trump look bad.
BearlyCareAnymore
hanky1 said:

dimitrig said:

hanky1 said:

In other words...Bezos couldn't put aside politics (just like many liberals...many of you) to save lives. Rather, they sacrificed lives for the "greater good" in their minds of getting rid of Trump.

I mean...we all know it's true. Why can't you guys just be honest and admit it. Honestly i'd have so much more respect for you alls if you just admitted you wanted people to die to make trump look bad.

Not what happened. They are lobbying for priority for their 800k workers. They also made the same request of the Trump administration
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/20/tech/amazon-biden-vaccine-letter/index.html
golden sloth
dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Last seven days:

I don't think its just about income, its also about mindset. My well-to-do Cal friends treat the disease with respect, and take precautions. My blue-collar not-so-well-to-do friends trivialize the disease, wear a mask only when required (and even then half-assedly), and are constantly putting them in high-risk situations.

Yes, some of the impact to the lower-income people is because they live in multi-generational families, and work at high-risk jobs where you can't social distance. But that shouldn't prevent them from not going to a bar with outdoor seating and trying to hook up with random strangers (this was back when there was outdoor seating), travel to places with less restrictions to party, or openly flaunt the public health guidance 'because they are tired of them'.
BearForce2
dimitrig said:

74+ million voted for Trump. We're not sure who the Biden voters were.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
sycasey
OaktownBear said:

hanky1 said:

dimitrig said:

hanky1 said:

Not what happened. They are lobbying for priority for their 800k workers. They also made the same request of the Trump administration
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/20/tech/amazon-biden-vaccine-letter/index.html

LOL. Hanky never bothers to look anything up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.