Warriors 2019 playoff thread

102,090 Views | 1110 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by philbert
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lacob just texted, "Take KD offer off the table!"
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HoopDreams
Ws played terrible most of game (besides early big run that got the twenty point lead).

rockets catches Ws in the 3rd, and then KD goes out with a leg injury.

at that point it didn't look good

but Green made some big plays and a scramble play at the end seals it

ugly but gutty win

hope KD doesn't have a serious injury, but looked like it could be bad
bearister
GMP
HoopDreams said:

Ws played terrible most of game (besides early big run that got the twenty point lead).

rockets catches Ws in the 3rd, and then KD goes out with a leg injury.

at that point it didn't look good

but Green made some big plays and a scramble play at the end seals it

ugly but gutty win

hope KD doesn't have a serious injury, but looked like it could be bad

Ugly? Incredible. What a performance without KD.
bearister
Maybe Splash Brothers got mojo back with freed up touches to shoot through the slump. Looney had 9 boards in 22 minutes.
sonofabear51
It was ugly. But hats off to Looney & Thompson & Green. I expect game 7 in Oakland on Sunday.
Start Slowly and taper off
ducky23
For a team with such good ft shooters, the warriors are the worst at salting away games.

And I understand why Kerr used two timeouts to move it to the front court, but man, what a dumb ass decision. Especially knowing the warriors propensity to cough the ball up when trying to salt away games.

But I'll take it.

Steph is gojng to have to play like 2015 Steph to win this thing.
concordtom
ducky23 said:

concordtom said:

GBear4Life said:

concordtom said:

So, quick response right now.
$1 bet, who is going to win the series?

I say rockets.
Series is truly a toss up to me, as it was last year (I thought HOU was slightly better, which they showed in the reg season too). And on paper, it shouldn't be.
Pick one, dammit.

Warriors are still -250 (which is about 71%) so if you're giving me even odds, I'd like to bet $100 please. Are you taking bets?
I starred you.
Good response! And thank you for picking one.

Now, what's Vegas say now that KD appears shelved!?
sycasey
Sending out an APB for James Harden in the fourth quarter.
concordtom
GBear4Life said:

GMP said:

Which brings me to my next point - since signing Durant, Bob Myers has done a piss poor job signing/drafting any players who can reliably contribute, especially the last two years (I think he got McGee and West the same year he got Durant, who both had their moments).
Really?

He signed McGee (excellent signing for nothing) and has drafted at bottom of 1st rd last 5 years, some years he didn't have one. And he drafted Jordan Bell. I honestly don't know why he's not playing in this series.

There's only been two 3 drafts since Durant signing. He didn't have a 1st rd pick in 2017.
Bell is gone from the W's next season, I feel confident.
concordtom
bearister said:

Maybe Splash Brothers got mojo back with freed up touches to shoot through the slump. Looney had 9 boards in 22 minutes.
Exactly.
Curry stopped feeling sorry for himself and played like an underdog again.

Still, Harden should have buried the warriors in the fourth. Wth happened to him?

sycasey
concordtom said:

bearister said:

Exactly.

Still, Harden should have buried the warriors in the fourth. Wth happened to him?

Not the first time Harden has disappeared late in a playoff game.
concordtom
ducky23 said:

For a team with such good ft shooters, the warriors are the worst at salting away games.

And I understand why Kerr used two timeouts to move it to the front court, but man, what a dumb ass decision. Especially knowing the warriors propensity to cough the ball up when trying to salt away games.

But I'll take it.

Steph is gojng to have to play like 2015 Steph to win this thing.
So, you're picking the Rockets to win the series then?
concordtom
sycasey said:

concordtom said:

bearister said:

Exactly.

Not the first time Harden has disappeared late in a playoff game.
The story was served up for him.
If he can't close the warriors out now, he sux.
Or curry is great.

Fantastic series.
concordtom
KD report as of 11pm.
Not his Achilles but a strained right calf.
TNT sideline reporter lady says it can take multiple weeks to recover from a strained calf.

If that's true, he's done for this series and the next, if not the season.

MRI tomorrow will reveal better info.
Not looking good, unless, Boogie can show up and save them with minutes. We have little depth after 40% of starters going down, and an already shallow bench.

Jerebko hitting the side of the backboard late was something else, no?!!
79 Bear
Yes, but he (Jerebko) got a nice 3 just after entering the game following KD's injury.

Seems that the KD injury injected some urgency into the team. Couldn't just watch him do most of the heavy lifting.

BTW, will Draymond ever learn?
sycasey
79 Bear said:

Chris Paul basically made it his mission to foul Draymond out. He took a dive whenever Green got near him. It worked.
GMP
sycasey said:

79 Bear said:

Chris Paul basically made it his mission to foul Draymond out. He took a dive whenever Green got near him. It worked.
Draymond did give a little kick/hip check. I liked it, though. Plus he came right down and hit a 3.
concordtom
So, let's say KD is done for the season....

If the Warriors win a championship, it will diminish KD's 2 with them.
Just ponder that for a moment.
Few days ago, everyone is saying that this is Kd's team. But if the warriors win without him, why did they even need him the past 2+ seasons? KD will surely have to leave, and win a chip elsewhere to prove himself. In that sense (his legacy) he is likely rooting for the warriors to lose. "See? You needed me."

On the other hand....
Curry now has a chance to be The Beast that imortalizes himself. That should provide extra motivation for him, Klay, and Draymond.

Recall that post where I said Lacob should immediately install the Hamptons Five statues outside Chase?
If the Warriors win, make that Four statues.
HoopDreams
Warriors have little depth with KD and none without him

No KD. No championship
ClayK
So look at the Warriors withiout KD (and calf strains are serious injuries with recovery time measured in weeks, not days):

Starters:

Curry
Thompson
Iguodala
Green
Looney

Bench:

Livingston
Jerebko
Bogut (unplayable against Houston because of pick-and-roll)

The starting lineup has two guys who can score, and that's not enough, really. Of course, one or both could go off in one of the last two games and maybe win it that way -- but the same could be said of Harden, Paul or Gordon.

The bench has nothing, and when Klay or Steph sit, there is no offense to speak of.

If Durant is out for the next series, then really the hope would be to somehow sneak past Houston and go down with guns blazing against Denver or Portland. But without Cousins and Durant, the Warriors simply don't have enough weapons to win a seven-game series.
sycasey
GMP said:

sycasey said:

79 Bear said:

Draymond did give a little kick/hip check. I liked it, though. Plus he came right down and hit a 3.

The hip check was real, but CP3 went down like he'd been shot.
sycasey
ClayK said:

So look at the Warriors withiout KD (and calf strains are serious injuries with recovery time measured in weeks, not days):

Starters:

Curry
Thompson
Iguodala
Green
Looney

Bench:

Livingston
Jerebko

The starting lineup has two guys who can score, and that's not enough, really. Of course, one or both could go off in one of the last two games and maybe win it that way -- but the same could be said of Harden, Paul or Gordon.

The bench has nothing, and when Klay or Steph sit, there is no offense to speak of.

If Durant is out for the next series, then really the hope would be to somehow sneak past Houston and go down with guns blazing against Denver or Portland. But without Cousins and Durant, the Warriors simply don't have enough weapons to win a seven-game series.

They might have to go with Quinn Cook (bad defense but can shoot) or live with the iffy Bogut minutes (at least he'll be in position and protect the rim). Lots of teams have to deal with players with obvious limitations.

KD being out actually makes these playoffs more interesting for me. The pressure is off, so let's see what happens.
GBear4Life
Series is over.

I hate Harden's game with a passion, but if HOU lets Harden run iso/pick roll everytime down in the 4th, they win.

GS should start playing my boy Jordan Bell. He's the only one left with the defensive versatility they need against HOU.
GBear4Life
GMP said:

sycasey said:

79 Bear said:

I don't get why we approve of outright dirty, passive-aggressive play (that gets you knocked out in any adult league) when he's on our team. He wonders why he never gets the benefit of the doubt -- he's berated every official incessantly.

Draymond's act is weak and despicable. Maybe in terms folks here can understand, he's the NBA's D Trump. Always has been.
GMP
GBear4Life said:

Series is over.

I hate Harden's game with a passion, but if HOU lets Harden run iso/pick roll everytime down in the 4th, they win.

GS should start playing my boy Jordan Bell. He's the only one left with the defensive versatility they need against HOU.

He makes some plays no one else can. But he also does boneheaded things. For example, not boxing out on back to back plays to cost his team a chance at the national championship...
ducky23
ClayK said:

Starters:

Curry
Thompson
Iguodala
Green
Looney

Bench:

Livingston
Jerebko

The depth issue isn't as much of a problem IF the warriors can get to the next round.

Guys who are completely unplayable against Houston can be playable against either Denver/Portland. Cook is easily the best shooter off the bench, and his defensive issues aren't nearly as pronounced when he's not getting ISO'd every possession against Harden. Bogut is probably an asset against either Kanter/Jokic. And I think you get better play out of Livingston, Jerebko, Mckinnie just because the difference between Houston and Denver/Portland is huge.

for instance, you worry that only two guys can score in the dubs starting lineup? Well look at portland's starting lineup. they only have two guys as well, and I'd take Green/Iggy over Harkless/Aminu every single time.

the point being, Denver and portland are the two worst teams left in the playoffs. they would both get destroyed by the three remaining teams in the east. and i'd be completely shocked if the dubs aren't still favored over either Denver/portland even without KD.

so the hope is this. somehow, some way, get one more game against Houston (which won't be easy, obviously). then, get by a much easier team in the conference finals. the dubs should be able to use their bench against either denver/portland because they simply aren't as good as houston.

and then once the Finals rolls around, hopefully they get at least two guys back (between KD, cousins, jones).

its not going to be easy. but its do-able.

And just FYI. As of this morning, Dubs are still the favorite to win the title (at +140)
GBear4Life
it's crazy, HOU sometimes has Tucker, Harden, Paul, Rivers, Gordon on the floor -- basically a 5 guard lineup.

HOU is causing GS massive problems on offense with their ability to pressure the ball beyond the 3pt line w/out fouling and switching/jumping screens. That's tiring them out. GS never has to work this hard on offense, and they're used to getting some easy buckets in the halfcourt set that they're not getting as much.

I also think it's so funny hearing this morning "KD is a luxury not a necessity". They go down to the wire last year vs HOU w/out Paul and somehow KD is a luxury. KD is a luxury in terms of being a good team. I don't know how on earth 'professionals' of the business can reasonably say the Warriors are a championship team the past two years without Durant. It's not 2015/16 anymore. Some of the league has caught up with GS, particularly HOU of course. GS needed an upgrade after 2016. It didn't have to be Durant, but it had to be an All-Star type player.
sycasey
ducky23 said:

ClayK said:

Starters:

Curry
Thompson
Iguodala
Green
Looney

Bench:

Livingston
Jerebko

The depth issue isn't as much of a problem IF the warriors can get to the next round.

Guys who are completely unplayable against Houston can be playable against either Denver/Portland. Cook is easily the best shooter off the bench, and his defensive issues aren't nearly as pronounced when he's not getting ISO'd every possession against Harden. Bogut is probably an asset against either Kanter/Jokic. And I think you get better play out of Livingston, Jerebko, Mckinnie just because the difference between Houston and Denver/Portland is huge.

for instance, you worry that only two guys can score in the dubs starting lineup? Well look at portland's starting lineup. they only have two guys as well, and I'd take Green/Iggy over Harkless/Aminu every single time.

the point being, Denver and portland are the two worst teams left in the playoffs. they would both get destroyed by the three remaining teams in the east. and i'd be completely shocked if the dubs aren't still favored over either Denver/portland even without KD.

so the hope is this. somehow, some way, get one more game against Houston (which won't be easy, obviously). then, get by a much easier team in the conference finals. the dubs should be able to use their bench against either denver/portland because they simply aren't as good as houston.

and then once the Finals rolls around, hopefully they get at least two guys back (between KD, cousins, jones).

its not going to be easy. but its do-able.

And just FYI. As of this morning, Dubs are still the favorite to win the title (at +140)
I'm interested in seeing what they do. We might see more of the motion and back-cutting offense without Durant, which might actually cause more problems for Houston's defense (playing as they are without a rim protector most of the time). The secret about KD is that as great as he is, his passing was always a bit suspect, so once the ball went to him in the post it didn't whip around very much.

Now, I am NOT saying the Warriors are better off without Durant. I'm just saying we might see some interesting unforseen strategic changes now.
bearister
HoopDreams said:

Warriors have little depth with KD and none without him

No KD. No championship

I agree, but this is interesting nonetheless:

Warriors Have Shocking Record When Durant Sits and Curry Plays
https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/6319724-warriors-have-shocking-record-when-durant-sits-and-curry-plays
GBear4Life
Barkley gets it right. Maybe only slightly hyperbolic. The 'no Durant, no dynasty' part is on point.

sycasey
GBear4Life said:

Barkley gets it right. Maybe only slightly hyperbolic. The 'no Durant, no dynasty' part is on point.

If Barkley says the Warriors are going to lose then they are definitely winning.
HoopDreams
I heard Barkley say that and agree

Still Ws are really short on bodies, especially in the front court

Hmmm... who does that sound like?

GBear4Life said:

GBear4Life
sycasey said:

If Barkley says the Warriors are going to lose then they are definitely winning.
LOL you might be right. I think he could have held off on "they can't beat anybody remaining in the playoffs without KD".

ducky23

All things considered, this isn't looking so bad.

If the dubs had to get thru a 7 game series with Houston without kd, there no way.

But they only have to win 1 game. That's doable

Then next series they get two of the weakest teams left in the playoffs, allowing them to use their bench more. And there's a chance kd comes back at some point in the series

And then by the finals, you should have kd back. And you even have a chance of getting cousins back.

The hardest part of all of this will probably be getting that one game against Houston. But if the dubs can get that, it's looking good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.