The latest on Conference Realignment and Cal - Saturday the 19th

189,831 Views | 1043 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
berserkeley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I very much doubt Fox is holding us back because a UCLA alum had their feelings hurt that the Regents contemplated not authorizing UCLA's move to the B1G.

It's in UCLA's best financial interests for Cal to be in the B1G. If the guy is willing to hurt UCLA just to hurt Cal, then he's not very bright.
nikeykid

not so fast!
Klindergoff
nikeykid said:

not so fast!

Econ141
Klindergoff said:

nikeykid said:

not so fast!

If the deal goes through - I hope we go Oppenheimer when we play the NC schools.
Klindergoff
Econ141 said:

Klindergoff said:

nikeykid said:

not so fast!

If the deal goes through - I hope we go Oppenheimer when we play the NC schools.

Forget Oppenheimer...I hope we go TELLER!
Strykur
Econ141 said:

Klindergoff said:

nikeykid said:

not so fast!

So they would rather stay put and take less money because they cannot break the GOR, or they can expand and get more money because they cannot break the GOR.

Also we beat North Carolina twice recently...
HateRed
As I posted on another thread, I don't give a sh*t about this. Do we have the F***king votes. I don't care about anything else.
nikeykid
we will find out tomorrow morning. unless they delay again.
philly1121
Strykur said:

Econ141 said:

Klindergoff said:

nikeykid said:

not so fast!

So they would rather stay put and take less money because they cannot break the GOR, or they can expand and get more money because they cannot break the GOR.

What they're basically saying is that the "economics" of expansion don't work out for them. Meaning: we're not getting enough in this deal to make it worth it to travel West.
oski003
philly1121 said:

Strykur said:

Econ141 said:

Klindergoff said:

nikeykid said:

not so fast!

What they're basically saying is that the "economics" of expansion don't work out for them. Meaning: we're not getting enough in this deal to make it worth it to travel West.

That is what they are saying, but the economics improve their situation. What they really mean is give us more money.
Strykur
oski003 said:

philly1121 said:

Strykur said:

Econ141 said:

Klindergoff said:

nikeykid said:

not so fast!

That is what they are saying, but the economics improve their situation. What they really mean is give us more money.

We may get a shakedown tomorrow, just need to return the favor on the field (and court).
Bowlesman80
Klindergoff said:

nikeykid said:

not so fast!

Mack Brown Strikes Back!
"Just win, baby."
HateRed
How come no one knows about yes votes and no votes? Remember that woman from ESPN? A couple of days ago she knew there were not enough votes, how about now? Where are you???!!
philly1121
oski003 said:

philly1121 said:

Strykur said:

Econ141 said:

Klindergoff said:

nikeykid said:

not so fast!

Yeah, what did I just say? They want more money. I thought this was a done deal. I still think it will be but yeah - relevancy is costing us alot.

Edit to say: after seeing the UNC Board Chair's twitter statement, I'm not so sure.
Econ141
What role do you think Carol and Jim have played throughout this? Is this all ACC and ESPN dictating everything and Carowlton just saying "yes sir, may we have another?"
HateRed
Can you please stop with that crap. No one knows what they've done. So, leave it alone.
BearMDJD
This article suddenly makes a lot more sense given tonight's leaked email from the UNC Board Chair.
calumnus
philly1121 said:

Strykur said:

Econ141 said:

Klindergoff said:

nikeykid said:

not so fast!

The ACC would reportedly put most of the money into "performance incentives" to win over Clemson and/or Florida State. The UNC trustees don't like it. They don't have a vote. The president does. We only need one of the 4 No votes to flip. I think we get there tomorrow, if not, we keep negotiating.

KenBurnski
I CANT SLEEP. ACC NOW.
HateRed
I can't sleep either!
KenBurnski

Lfg????
KenBurnski
KenBurnski
Omg wake up hibernating Bears. WE ACC'N
accprisoner
FSU fully intends to kamikaze itself into the GOR. Theyre out. If they win in court, which they likely would, the acc dissolves overnight. The acc cant take the chance, hence, they will negotiate a buyout for fsu and clemson. Adding the 3 west coast schools prevents espn from obliterating them via composition clause.

Theyll squeeze fsu anc clemson for 120m exit fee plus another 120m on the rights buyback and be done with it until the conference dies for good in 2036.
Bowlesman80
accprisoner said:

FSU fully intends to kamikaze itself into the GOR. Theyre out. If they win in court, which they likely would, the acc dissolves overnight. The acc cant take the chance, hence, they will negotiate a buyout for fsu and clemson. Adding the 3 west coast schools prevents espn from obliterating them via composition clause.

Theyll squeeze fsu anc clemson for 120m exit fee plus another 120m on the rights buyback and be done with it until the conference dies for good in 2036.
Welp, this was our lifeline. Maybe some expenditure caps and other measures will stop these crazy monopoly moves to super conferences. None of this is good for collegiate sports; the more money coming in, the more schools will spend to keep their programs relevant.
"Just win, baby."
Econ141
HateRed said:

Can you please stop with that crap. No one knows what they've done. So, leave it alone.

Don't you think we need transparency more than ever? These two clowns have been talking about not standing on the sidelines and exploring options but the reality is that there were ZERO options. We got lucky, plain and simple that a P5 conference needed a few more teams to prevent itself from imploding .... And we are going there for 8/9 mm a year. I still don't understand how we will win recruits over when the competition is telling them "Cal? They may 1/5 of what we get from the media...does that tell you something about Cal? They may not even exist in 10 years."

Super happy we have a few more years to enjoy Cal football but I don't get how we will be competitive outside one of our many billionaires all of a sudden becoming a Cal football fan.
Bowlesman80

OH, THEY HAD A LITTLE PARTY ON THE EAST COAST,
THERE WERE HEELS, THERE WERE WOLVES, THERE WERE NOLES,
OH, THEY HAD A LITTLE PARTY ON THE EAST COAST,
SO THEY COULD RAKE CALFORD-SMU OVER COALS.
"Just win, baby."
GMP
accprisoner said:

I have no idea why you think FSU would likely win. Everything I've read says these agreements are iron clad.

If they decide to test it, the risk to them financially in doing this is severe - hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and tens of millions more in attorneys' fees. The risk to the ACC in fighting it is essentially zero, plus attorneys' fees.
GoCal80
Dear campus community,

I am pleased to share with you that UC Berkeley will be joining the ACC intercollegiate athletics conference beginning with the 2024-25 academic year. This decision supports the best interests of our student-athletes and will secure Cal Athletics' long-term stability, while preserving the program's stature and the essential role it plays on our campus and in our extended community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni.

Our longtime rival and neighbor Stanford University also announced it will be joining the ACC next summer, as did Southern Methodist University (SMU). We look forward to cheering on the Golden Bears in their new conference home, just as we look forward to many more years of competing for The Stanford Axe.

Our decision to join the ACC comes against the backdrop of significant conference realignment across the country in recent years, and was made after a comprehensive exploration of options, and in the wake of extensive efforts and diligent negotiations in recent weeks. I want to thank UC President Michael Drake and Director of Athletics Jim Knowlton for the partnership, hard work, and leadership that made this agreement possible.

Given its championship culture and academic stature, the ACC is an excellent match for our university and will provide an elite competitive context for our student-athletes in the changing landscape of intercollegiate athletics. The conference sponsors competition at the highest levels in 28 sports, 24 of which Cal participates in. No conference has won more NCAA National Championships over the last two years than the ACC. In the academic realm, the most recent US News & World Report rankings of "Best Colleges" recognized the ACC as the leader among the elite NCAA conferences for the 16th consecutive year. With the addition of Cal and Stanford, the ACC now features nine institutions that are members of the prestigious Association of American Universities.

While membership in the ACC will result in some increased travel for student-athletes and staff, 19 of Cal's 30 sports, representing about two-thirds of our student-athletes, will experience minimal, or no change at all in the amount of travel required by competition. These teams are either already traveling east to compete or won't need to. We will also be exploring a number of measures that will minimize the impact additional travel could have on the remaining student-athletes.

We will be joining the ACC as full members and have agreed to return a portion of our media rights revenue to the conference in support of its long-term strength. While I am certain that the agreement's financial terms are the best we could have secured, we recognize that this agreement will create budgetary challenges for our university. I will be engaging members of the campus and Cal Athletics administration, as well as President Drake and the Board of Regents, in a collaborative process as we examine the impacts, weigh options for the future, and take the steps necessary to maintain the strength of the university's financial foundations as well as the essential role intercollegiate athletics plays on our campus.

I am looking forward to a new era of excellence for Cal Athletics.

Go Bears!

Carol T. Christ
Chancellor
Anon378
From what I've heard from around here, the UNC Chancellor was actually leaning towards yes this week. The UNC BOT issued that statement to box him in.
sycasey
GMP said:

accprisoner said:

I have no idea why you think FSU would likely win. Everything I've read says these agreements are iron clad.

If they decide to test it, the risk to them financially in doing this is severe - hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and tens of millions more in attorneys' fees. The risk to the ACC in fighting it is essentially zero, plus attorneys' fees.

Seems likely to me that the new alignment will hold for at least another five years or so. Maybe at that point the buyout is low enough for FSU to get out.
smh
KenBurnski said:

Lfg????
new to me too, found on the net..

> Looking For Group
> ..The most common definition of LFG is "looking for group." Many people on the internet use the acronym to multiplayer online game (mmo), look to team up in online multiplayer games. For example, if you're in the middle of playing a massively multiplayer online game (MMO) a player near you might type "LFG level 60+" to indicate that they would like to team up with other players that are at least level 60. However, this term has since spread to people who are looking for non-gaming groups.

https://www.howtogeek.com/771505/what-does-lfg-mean-and-how-do-you-use-it/

oski003
smh said:

KenBurnski said:

Lfg????

> Looking For Group
> ..The most common definition of LFG is "looking for group." Many people on the internet use the acronym to
multiplayer online game (mmo), look to team up in online multiplayer games. For example, if you're in the middle of playing a massively multiplayer online game (MMO) a player near you might type "LFG level 60+" to indicate that they would like to team up with other players that are at least level 60. However, this term has since spread to people who are looking for non-gaming groups.

Or Let's F'n Go!
ninetyfourbear
oski003 said:

smh said:

KenBurnski said:

Lfg????

> Looking For Group
> ..The most common definition of LFG is "looking for group." Many people on the internet use the acronym to
multiplayer online game (mmo), look to team up in online multiplayer games. For example, if you're in the middle of playing a massively multiplayer online game (MMO) a player near you might type "LFG level 60+" to indicate that they would like to team up with other players that are at least level 60. However, this term has since spread to people who are looking for non-gaming groups.

Or Let's F'n Go!

I recommend watching more Jomboy on YouTube. He does lip reading of baseball and football. "Let's f*****g go!" Is quite common for players and coaches.
calbear93
wifeisafurd said:

Alkiadt said:

Big Dog said:

small nit: he definitely subject to income taxes in the state of California, as his salary is California sourced-income.

Exactly.

not so exactly. Depends on some factors. If he sitting outside the state doing Zoom meeting, etc. and he truly is a non-resident (which I question given the AD's responsibilities), it is taxable to the other state.Nonresidents Working Remotely for California BusinessManes Lawhttp://www.calresidencytaxattorney.com nonresident...

You're generally taxed where the work gets done. As such, he is not taxed anywhere. The one question is whether Cal inappropriately deducted the gift as an expense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.