The latest on Conference Realignment and Cal - Saturday the 19th

189,855 Views | 1043 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MrGPAC said:

If I were the B1G and I were investing in the bay area market with Cal and Stanford, I'd want either a very long list of promises on how they are planning to live up to their potential, or direct input on matters to make those things happen. I'd definitely look to have inventive based carrots that would lead to larger potential payouts. Things like attendance % goals for games, increasing tv ratings, proof of investments into the revenue generating sports, etc..
C'mon. Neither the Big Ten nor any other conference does that for anyone, even teams that don't perform well.

Did the Big Ten do that with Rutgers and Maryland? No, of course not.

Did the Big Ten make Nebraska promise to be as good in football as they were when Osborne coached there, and tell them that if they lost to a bad Colorado team twice they'd be getting a sack of pennies instead of a full Big Ten share? No. If they had, Nebraska's payout would have been that sack of pennies.
calumnus
BearSD said:

MrGPAC said:

If I were the B1G and I were investing in the bay area market with Cal and Stanford, I'd want either a very long list of promises on how they are planning to live up to their potential, or direct input on matters to make those things happen. I'd definitely look to have inventive based carrots that would lead to larger potential payouts. Things like attendance % goals for games, increasing tv ratings, proof of investments into the revenue generating sports, etc..
C'mon. Neither the Big Ten nor any other conference does that for anyone, even teams that don't perform well.

Did the Big Ten do that with Rutgers and Maryland? No, of course not.

Did the Big Ten make Nebraska promise to be as good in football as they were when Osborne coached there, and tell them that if they lost to a bad Colorado team twice they'd be getting a sack of pennies instead of a full Big Ten share? No. If they had, Nebraska's payout would have been that sack of pennies.

Yeah, it is not the conferences that are going to do that.

I don't really think our university is really capable of having that vision and making that investment either, but especially under Knowlton. That is why I think the university should outsource the management of the revenue sports to an alumni-run organization that would treat them like a professional sports franchise with professional management and marketing. That would allow for the Olympic spots in a Big West or WCC and a drastic reduction of administrative costs.
oski003
BearBoarBlarney said:

oski003 said:

Wasn't John C. Calhoun born in the 1700s? It's not a funny stereotype. Seems racist.

Are you referring to the stereotype of a colonial era plantation owner? Not sure where you're going with this...

I am referring to a poster saying a Clemson admin sounds like a plantation owner when all he did was say that the ACC is "going through a process in the adding of these fine potential members" and "we are not going to block any deal that brings more money to the conference and adds teams that bring value" and that could be the case with Stanford, Cal, and SMU.

There is nothing remotely close to sounding like a plantation owner in that quote. It would be nice to discuss Cal getting into the ACC without throwing out an unsupported stereotype. And, yes, we are talking about the stereo type of a colonial era slave-owning plantation owner.
bearsandgiants
oski003 said:

BearBoarBlarney said:

oski003 said:

Wasn't John C. Calhoun born in the 1700s? It's not a funny stereotype. Seems racist.

Are you referring to the stereotype of a colonial era plantation owner? Not sure where you're going with this...

I am referring to a poster saying a Clemson admin sounds like a plantation owner when all he did was say that the ACC is "going through a process in the adding of these fine potential members" and "we are not going to block any deal that brings more money to the conference and adds teams that bring value" and that could be the case with Stanford, Cal, and SMU.

There is nothing remotely close to sounding like a plantation owner in that quote. It would be nice to discuss Cal getting into the ACC without throwing out an unsupported stereotype. And, yes, we are talking about the stereo type of a colonial era slave-owning plantation owner.

Yeah. I agree it was inappropriate. It made me laugh because "the adding of these fine potential members" did indeed conjure up a stereotypical white-suit-and-hat fat cat, but it's not fair and it doesn't matter. Regardless, the thought of it made me laugh out loud so I shared. I apologize to anyone offended.
BearBoarBlarney
I too apologize in advance, but the direction this thread took calls for this old one:

DoubtfulBear
BearBoarBlarney said:

oski003 said:

As opposed to the slave owning racist George Berkeley?
BearBoarBlarney
DoubtfulBear said:

BearBoarBlarney said:

oski003 said:

As opposed to the slave owning racist George Berkeley?
Oooof, wow... Case closer, right there.
nikeykid
stay focused everyone.

our favorite/hated WV insider stating another vote was cancelled tonight. are we really that close?

berserkeley
It feels like getting the necessary votes for expansion depends on how they split the money and they haven't figured out a way to do it that makes 13 teams happy.
bearsandgiants
nikeykid said:

stay focused everyone.

our favorite/hated WV insider stating another vote was cancelled tonight. are we really that close?

The holdout(s) are no doubt starting to piss the rest of the members off. You can only take so much of this before you stop trying to appease them and start outlining plans for retribution.
sycasey
bearsandgiants said:

nikeykid said:

stay focused everyone.

The holdout(s) are no doubt starting to piss the rest of the members off. You can only take so much of this before you stop trying to appease them and start outlining plans for retribution.

After all this reporting it will be an embarrassment if it doesn't happen, so I tend to think it will. But of course, we have seen conferences screw themselves before.
golden sloth
sycasey said:

bearsandgiants said:

nikeykid said:

stay focused everyone.

After all this reporting it will be an embarrassment if it doesn't happen, so I tend to think it will. But of course, we have seen conferences screw themselves before.

And as has become commonplace, the hang ups have nothing to do with the schools trying to join.
calumnus
berserkeley said:

It feels like getting the necessary votes for expansion depends on how they split the money and they haven't figured out a way to do it that makes 13 teams happy.

They only need 12, right? It seems like right now they are trying make everyone happy and get to 15.

Maybe just accept that nothing will make Florida State and Clemson happy and focus on what it would take to flip UNC or NC State?
Oski87
Looks better to get to unanimous. No one wants people leaving the table being pissed off. Everyone knows now that it will get done - now if they leave it is a sh$t show that the conference won't live down. Others will be pissed at the two who did not want to vote positively. So they need to get their pound of flesh - at least enough to go home moderately happier.
bearsandgiants
God is poised to punish Florida State for dragging its feet.

Dothechop2
I'm a GT and ACC fan. I can't stand FSU right now. Think they're worth this ungodly amount of money even though they haven't been to the CFP in 9 going on 10 years now. Think you are prove it and get the money. We don't just hand you all the money cause you think you're hot **** .
edwinbear
Dothechop2 said:

I'm a GT and ACC fan. I can't stand FSU right now. Think they're worth this ungodly amount of money even though they haven't been to the CFP in 9 going on 10 years now. Think you are prove it and get the money. We don't just hand you all the money cause you think you're hot **** .
The law of college football is that every conference has teams like this.
JeepCSC
The funny thing about FSU is they pushed the ACC into beginning this era of conference raiding wars 20 years ago. Then FSU and Miami football fell off a cliff, and the next ACC contract wasn't nearly as lucrative. They've been surviving on internal angst ever since (West Virginia Twitter made a cottage industry of reporting their gripes last decade). They imagine the ACC has been slighting them and the Tobacco Road schools are to blame, but honestly this conference is largely of their making. UNC/Duke were overridden time and again. FSU fans are just mad the Bowden era is over, and lashing out.

Bobodeluxe
They will react very well when Stanford starts winning most championships, then?
Dothechop2
I hope FSU loses out on the money by crashing and burning in football lol.
Big Dog
calumnus said:

berserkeley said:

They only need 12, right? It seems like right now they are trying make everyone happy and get to 15.

Maybe just accept that nothing will make Florida State and Clemson happy and focus on what it would take to flip UNC or NC State?
If it happens, the Announcement and Minutes of the meeting will show it was unanimous. The President will take a vote, allowing any Naysayers to officially vote No, and if there are at least 12 Ayes, the President will then announce that teh resolution will pass, and ask if we can have it by acclamation or make it unanimous (for the record). Any Noes can show up in the Discussion.
berserkeley
Maybe they're trying to find a way that would keep FSU and Clemson from trying to leave before 2030.

But ...

It's been, what, 8 or 9 days since we flipped two votes from "no" to "maybe"? And they still haven't cast a vote. And it's been how many days now that they've allegedly been debating how to split the money?

It sounds like we don't have 12 "yes" votes. It sounds like the ACC has to find a way to split the money that gets UNC and NCSU to vote yes without losing any of the current support and they haven't found a way to do that yet. Or that they have to find a way to split the money that makes all 15 happy because they only reason to vote to expand is to keep FSU and Clemson in the fold.
6956bear
berserkeley said:

Maybe they're trying to find a way that would keep FSU and Clemson from trying to leave before 2030.

But ...

It's been, what, 8 or 9 days since we flipped two votes from "no" to "maybe"? And they still haven't cast a vote. And it's been how many days now that they've allegedly been debating how to split the money?

It sounds like we don't have 12 "yes" votes. It sounds like the ACC has to find a way to split the money that gets UNC and NCSU to vote yes without losing any of the current support and they haven't found a way to do that yet. Or that they have to find a way to split the money that makes all 15 happy because they only reason to vote to expand is to keep FSU and Clemson in the fold.
Seems clear they do not have 12 votes. I think that there may be other no votes. Miami could be a no. I just do not think you will get 12 votes if that requires giving extra money to Clemson and FSU upfront.

There is a reason that ESPN has supposedly begun to lobby Yormark to let Calford into the Big 12. What would be interesting is if Fox would kick in to make Calford equal to the 4 corner schools. My guess is no.
sycasey
6956bear said:

There is a reason that ESPN has supposedly begun to lobby Yormark to let Calford into the Big 12. What would be interesting is if Fox would kick in to make Calford equal to the 4 corner schools. My guess is no.
Definitely seems like ESPN wants this done and will use the B12 as leverage.
91Cal
6956bear said:

berserkeley said:

But ...

Seems clear they do not have 12 votes. I think that there may be other no votes. Miami could be a no. I just do not think you will get 12 votes if that requires giving extra money to Clemson and FSU upfront.

There have been many, many reports from "disparate" reporters that Calford are going to be admitted stating that the details of payment/distribution are being hammered out.

This will be the first conference setting up a performance fund/unbalanced payments so am guessing that these related nuances are the long pole in the tent. How much of the "donated" amount is set aside for the performance v. how much is distributed to the existing members. How much are the new teams eligible to receive. How much distributed to the existing members for travel costs and for what sports. How much additional $$ is there with the addition of the NorCal and Dallas markets.

The have the votes, but are looking to get to unanimous.

As many have written, does Fox and the big 18, but more importantly, Fox come back with a last minute offer for Calford similar to their last second offer for the Duskies.
BearSD
berserkeley said:

But ...

On Wednesday this week, a sportswriter (Pete Thamel?) said it might take another week for the ACC to work through all the details for dividing up the money.
JRL.02
I'm in an On3 board and who knows if this is actually true but I saw someone say that Cal had been looking at storage/warehouses in Charlotte. I'm not sure why they'd need one but found it interesting.
HateRed
The BIG12 is now a possibility????
Dothechop2
If the ACC deal falls through
GoCal80
Perhaps the ACC negotiations are taking a long time because they also involve figuring out which sports will be included. Presumably, football and men's and women's basketball are part of the deal, but for many other sports keeping things regional would seem more logical.

Here's an interesting story about a guy who thinks he is responsible for screwing up college football (I am posting here because it refers to the impact of the extra travel on athletes in sports like softball, etc.):

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/college-football-season-kicks-meet-man-says-screwed-ncaa-sport-rcna101266
Bearly Clad
JRL.02 said:

I'm in an On3 board and who knows if this is actually true but I saw someone say that Cal had been looking at storage/warehouses in Charlotte. I'm not sure why they'd need one but found it interesting.
That's just where we're gonna dump and hide Mack Brown's body in an Indiana Jones-esque way so it'll never be found and can't hurt anyone ever again. It might eventually become dual purpose for us to keep equipment there but that's just a secondary consideration at this point
JRL.02
FWIW, I live in NC so I get the acc network and the host of their evening program mark packer said on yesterday's show that he talked to several sources w/in the league and that they all said the expansion had momentum.
baytobreakers
I don't know why there is so much doubt. All sources were suggesting a lot of nitty gritty details regarding performance distribution, non-revenue sports, and scheduling needed to be worked out over a number of days and this would likely stretch into Monday/Tuesday with 8/30 as the deadline (CFP meeting). MHVer has little credibility.
JimSox
baytobreakers said:

I don't know why there is so much doubt. All sources were suggesting a lot of nitty gritty details regarding performance distribution, non-revenue sports, and scheduling needed to be worked out over a number of days and this would likely stretch into Monday/Tuesday with 8/30 as the deadline (CFP meeting). MHVer has little credibility.

Why doubt? Because it was all set two weeks ago. Oh, meeting canceled. Don't have the votes. Yet. Because it was all set this past week. Oh, meeting canceled. Don't have the votes. Yet. Now, don't worry. It will be next week. Deadline 8/30. Just some details to iron out. Why doubt? Making me nuts.
chazzed
Bearly Clad said:

JRL.02 said:

That's just where we're gonna dump and hide Mack Brown's body in an Indiana Jones-esque way so it'll never be found and can't hurt anyone ever again. It might eventually become dual purpose for us to keep equipment there but that's just a secondary consideration at this point
Superb.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.