The latest on Conference Realignment and Cal - Saturday the 19th

189,827 Views | 1043 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
Dothechop2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
socaliganbear
??
baytobreakers
Dothechop2 said:

Anyone able to read it?
Bobodeluxe
Can we please get back to the Fresno, didn't go there, vs. UC Berkeley, now hate Berkeley, debate over pissy fans. PLEASE!
GoCal80
Here's a push for a new option, the GAG conference:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/ostler/article/cal-stanford-chasing-top-dollar-sell-saudis-18334302.php
golden sloth
GoCal80 said:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/ostler/article/cal-stanford-chasing-top-dollar-sell-saudis-18334302.php

I dont really appreciate that article. The snark entailed within is a contributing factor (albeit not a dominant one) to bay area people looking down on college football, which leads to lesser crowd involvement, which very well may kill Cal athletics.
JimSox
baytobreakers said:

Dothechop2 said:

Anyone able to read it?

All I see is that this Clemson guy says that "contacts" have told him this morning that developments have hit a snag. Am I surprised?
cubzwin
Once, George Bernard Shaw, at a dinner party, asked an attractive young woman seated next to him:
"Would you sleep with me for a million dollars?"
She answered: "Yes".
Shaw then asked: "Would you sleep with me for forty dollars?"
The woman responded indignantly: "No! What do you think I am? A prostitute?"
Shaw answered: "That's already been established. Now we're just haggling over price."

That's what's going on with the ACC--especially with regard to Clemson, FSU and for some reason, North Carolina. Cal and Stanford have already agreed to accept less than a full share for a certain period of time. The ACC needs to expand to survive and there's extra $ to be had. The deal will get the votes because it's win/win for the ACC (free money) and Calford are desperate. The delay is not about a shooting on campus with one victim and the suspect in custody within hours. The delay is to let Calford twist in the wind so that the ACC can extract bigger concessions. The rumored 30% haircut for one year is just an opening salvo. The counter-offer will be brutal. Time to butter up.

golden sloth
cubzwin said:

Once, George Bernard Shaw, at a dinner party, asked an attractive young woman seated next to him:
"Would you sleep with me for a million dollars?"
She answered: "Yes".
Shaw then asked: "Would you sleep with me for forty dollars?"
The woman responded indignantly: "No! What do you think I am? A prostitute?"
Shaw answered: "That's already been established. Now we're just haggling over price."

That's what's going on with the ACC--especially with regard to Clemson, FSU and for some reason, North Carolina. Cal and Stanford have already agreed to accept less than a full share for a certain period of time. The ACC needs to expand to survive and there's extra $ to be had. The deal will get the votes because it's win/win for the ACC (free money) and Calford are desperate. The delay is not about a shooting on campus with one victim and the suspect in custody within hours. The delay is to let Calford twist in the wind so that the ACC can extract bigger concessions. The rumored 30% haircut for one year is just an opening salvo. The counter-offer will be brutal. Time to butter up.

We arent even in the conference yet and I'm tired of dealing with these *******s.
Bowlesman80
Yeah, Calford is already a *****, it's just a question of how cheap of a *****.
I suspect this is more ESPN than the ACC itself.

That being said, the rebel alliance (i.e. the "no" vote bloc) wants the GORn to die monster, die.
Adding us delays that. So they may be putting the brakes back on- extra money be damned.

Honestly, I am going to shift my focus to an awesome season and JW's last best chance to prove himself. It's tough enough just being a Cal fan without waiting out this crap.
Go!
Bears!
"Just win, baby."
westcoast101
As always, my expectation is that whatever is the best thing for Cal (likely the ACC at this point) will not happen.
Econ141
golden sloth said:

GoCal80 said:

I dont really appreciate that article. The snark entailed within is a contributing factor (albeit not a dominant one) to bay area people looking down on college football, which leads to lesser crowd involvement, which very well may kill Cal athletics.

It's almost like we need something like, I don't know, maybe call it an Athletic Director (?), who would ensure his marketing department is loading with the community and media to gather interest in the program.
Maddbear
Am I the only one here who is just a little concerned about joining such a dysfunctional family? I will be happy when this is over and we are (hopefully) in, but geez, this may only be the beginning. Yikes.
GoCal80
golden sloth said:

GoCal80 said:

It is satire and meant to shine a light on the current state of college football, which has devolved to the point where all that matters is money.
Econ141
There is no other family to join. The problem with these cross relationships between media and conferences is that they can just outright screw over the programs with little leverage which is where we find ourselves. We are very close to joining our forgotten friends OSU and WSU
GivemTheAxe
Bowlesman80 said:

Yeah, Calford is already a *****, it's just a question of how cheap of a *****.
I suspect this is more ESPN than the ACC itself.

That being said, the rebel alliance (i.e. the "no" vote bloc) wants the GORn to die monster, die.
Adding us delays that. So they may be putting the brakes back on- extra money be damned.

Honestly, I am going to shift my focus to an awesome season and JW's last best chance to prove himself. It's tough enough just being a Cal fan without waiting out this crap.
Go!
Bears!

I see it as the Yes group refusing to quit knowing that over time they are slowly chipping down the No vote.
If the No vote we're stronger (as with the Big 12 ") the negotiations would not have lasted this long and the negotiations would have ceased

As a lawyer I have been involved in negotiations where a vocal minority tried to stop a deal. Getting to Yes is difficult. Getting to No is easy.
golden sloth
GoCal80 said:

golden sloth said:

GoCal80 said:

It is satire and meant to shine a light on the current state of college football, which has devolved to the point where all that matters is money.

I get that its satire, but it also demeans and undermines support for Cal football at a time when Cal football and athletics needs all the help it can get.

And yes, I do believe casuals are going to read this article and support the team less. As for if the article's satire helps push college football towards not being about money, it wont.
sosheezy
Some screenshots from the Clemson site - this first one is from the other day when it seemed more inevitable

The second one is from today (but the end is cut off) but seems to imply NC politics might be gumming things up, doesn't say it's NOT happening - but just up in the air vs previously when it seems assured
MTbear22
Sactowndog said:

While I don't agreee with your points I'm also not inclined to discuss it further
In other words "I have zero evidence to refute anything you've said"
sycasey
sosheezy said:

Some screenshots from the Clemson site - this first one is from the other day when it seemed more inevitable

The second one is from today (but the end is cut off) but seems to imply NC politics might be gumming things up, doesn't say it's NOT happening - but just up in the air vs previously when it seems assured
This article basically says nothing.
golden sloth
sycasey said:

sosheezy said:

It could be the newspaper men trying to get a few more clicks, it could be someone got wind of the deal and wants to change some part of the deal, or it could be a previous 'yes' has reversed their position.

Again, I dont think the issues have anything to do with Cal or Stanford, and I believe we have gone as low as we be reasonably expected. The ACC is still getting a great deal, I'm worried their internal politics and the greed of a few schools might collapse the deal.

My dad was a salesman and he always said, once you have the yes, stop talking and get the paperwork signed.
BearHunter
Cal88 said:

I wonder if hurricane Idalia, which is about to hit northern Florida and head north toward Georgia is going to result in further delays...

OT: I once dated a girl from North Carolina named Idalia.
Bowlesman80
sycasey said:

sosheezy said:

Like about 90% of the articles that have been popping up for the last 30+ days.
"Just win, baby."
Cal88
BearHunter said:

Cal88 said:

I wonder if hurricane Idalia, which is about to hit northern Florida and head north toward Georgia is going to result in further delays...

Passing through GA now, then SC tonight, as a category 1 hurricane (weakest on a scale of 1 to 5), should be over by tomorrow morning.
philly1121
golden sloth said:

GoCal80 said:

golden sloth said:

GoCal80 said:

I get that its satire, but it also demeans and undermines support for Cal football at a time when Cal football and athletics needs all the help it can get.

And yes, I do believe casuals are going to read this article and support the team less. As for if the article's satire helps push college football towards not being about money, it wont.
Perhaps its more about calling out the fact that Cal can't seem to walk around and maneuver without stepping on our own d*ck. The public sees that and sees us, rightfully, as inept.

The Pac12 conference has blown up. Nuked. And we, along with our Bay Area "partner", are still on the dance floor when the music and lights have been turned off. That says alot about us, wouldn't you say? The article is satire and a hilarious read.
Econ141
philly1121 said:

golden sloth said:

GoCal80 said:

golden sloth said:

GoCal80 said:

Perhaps its more about calling out the fact that Cal can't seem to walk around and maneuver without stepping on our own d*ck. The public sees that and sees us, rightfully, as inept.

The Pac12 conference has blown up. Nuked. And we, along with our Bay Area "partner", are still on the dance floor when the music and lights have been turned off. That says alot about us, wouldn't you say? The article is satire and a hilarious read.

Until the admin doesn't acknowledge how inept they are, they won't open up their eyes to see the opportunities that are open to it by virtue of being located in the Bay Area. They are going to keep killing our program through incompetence and apathy. Got to fix that.
Bowlesman80
"They are going to keep killing our program through incompetence and apathy. Got to fix that."

Or is it by design?

They were hoping to get rid of those mean, ole sports programs, all along.
"Just win, baby."
Dothechop2
That's me!!!!! I'm famous
Bowlesman80
Dothechop2 said:

That's me!!!!! I'm famous
Famouser than Oski?
"Just win, baby."
JimSox
Well now we've gone from hoping to blaming. Nice.
CALiforniALUM
I agree that those Clemson articles or reports don't say a damn thing. If the reporter really had the story and wanted to be cited as they who broke said story they wouldn't be so beat around the bush about it with no clear statement of authority or source. This is just a fluff piece that has no substance.
Bowlesman80
JimSox said:

Welp, how do smart administrators get caught a day late and a Dollar short?

1. Incompetence
2. Scheming
3. Both of the above

Hope is never a plan to rely upon.
"Just win, baby."
dimitrig
Bowlesman80 said:

JimSox said:

Welp, how do smart administrators get caught a day late and a Dollar short?

1. Incompetence
2. Scheming
3. Both of the above

Hope is never a plan to rely upon.

Priorities.

As someone who always has more on my plate than I will ever complete, I know what it must be like for them.

You have to prioritize.

Cal does not prioritize athletics. That's not incompetence or scheming. It's just not what the institution thinks is important.

It sucks if you are a sports fan, but Cal isn't catering to that demographic.

Bowlesman80
Welp, IMHO marginalizing athletics is the same as scheming.

And many of our "Public Ivy" rivals, such as Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma seem to make athletics both a priority and a complement to their academics. Trying to be Cal Tech is not going to make Berkeley better.

And if this is just the way things are going to be, then I, for one, am not going to continue mainlining hope.
"Just win, baby."
BearHunter
Cal88 said:

BearHunter said:

Cal88 said:

Passing through GA now, then SC tonight, as a category 1 hurricane (weakest on a scale of 1 to 5), should be over by tomorrow morning.

Idalia dumping some rain and pain. Oh, the memories.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.