The latest on Conference Realignment and Cal - Saturday the 19th

189,845 Views | 1043 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gobears15 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Alkiadt said:

Big Dog said:

small nit: he definitely subject to income taxes in the state of California, as his salary is California sourced-income.

Exactly.

not so exactly. Depends on some factors. If he sitting outside the state doing Zoom meeting, etc. and he truly is a non-resident (which I question given the AD's responsibilities), it is taxable to the other state.Nonresidents Working Remotely for California BusinessManes Lawhttp://www.calresidencytaxattorney.com nonresident...
That's correct. Assuming he has to spend a decent chunk of time working on-site, he still owes CA income tax on income earned while physically in CA. He would determine the percentage of his workdays performed in CA, and pay CA income tax on that percentage of his total income.
Well, subject to several provisos, if he spend the majority of his time in CA, he is a CA resident, and then it is 100% of his income is subject to tax (hence my question is if he really is non-CA resident?) Otherwise he is doing some sort of allocation.
Bowlesman80
Golden One said:

Bowlesman80 said:

Welp, IMHO marginalizing athletics is the same as scheming.

And many of our "Public Ivy" rivals, such as Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma seem to make athletics both a priority and a complement to their academics. Trying to be Cal Tech is not going to make Berkeley better.

And if this is just the way things are going to be, then I, for one, am not going to continue mainlining hope.

Or continue to make contributions to the academic side.

I think once many donors realize the overall posture towards and the, now, tangible results of making sports a medium priority (like and A.D. that "phones it in" from Colorado Springs- I did not know that), Cal may begin a general decline of reputation in parallel with the athletics. There's other schools out there.
"Just win, baby."
gobears15
Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

Shocky1 said:

calumnus said:

Big Dog said:

small nit: he definitely subject to income taxes in the state of California, as his salary is California sourced-income.

Ok, I don't know. Then why does he go to the trouble of maintaining Colorado Springs as his official residence?

I have income sourced from several states and countries but have always paid taxes in the state of my official residence. Isn't that why so many corporations are located in Delaware?

knowlton hates berkeley, that's why he lives in colorado springs

he had NEVER been to california prior to his interview

Berkeley is a horrible fit for him and he is a horrible fit for Berkeley. On top of not being qualified and not having the requisite knowledge and skill set. It was obvious to everyone except Carol Christ. Then he performed bask and she game him the 8 year extension. What a disaster. As I said when he was hired, we will be lucky if we still have a program when they are done, and I was not joking. It is just more eminent now.

Why can't we get rid of him? She must still like him because she is slow rolling that investigation.
It's a highly complex matter, but rest assured, rather than watch from the sidelines, Athletic Director Jim Knowlton and I are working tirelessly with other critical partners to map out our next steps and evaluate options that will ensure A.D. Knowlton can continue to rake in millions from Colorado Springs, while criminally mismanaging Cal athletics in a manner that reflects our values and budgetary realities.

Fiat Lux, and Go Bears!
glb78
I didn't go to Cal like most of you did, but I do remember threads going way back about Barsky (sp?) among others who, apparently, constantly fought the AD and hated sports.

I don't consider myself "a great mind" but I think these types are not getting the big picture that the demise of Cal sports will eventually hurt Cal, the actual school.

I have also witnessed a different UC fire upper and middle mgmt people for things way less detrimental to the University than what Cal's AD is doing. It's depressing.

If this goes down the bad path, heads should roll.
Bowlesman80
glb78 said:

I didn't go to Cal like most of you did, but I do remember threads going way back about Barsky (sp?) among others who, apparently, constantly fought the AD and hated sports.

I don't consider myself "a great mind" but I think these types are not getting the big picture that the demise of Cal sports will eventually hurt Cal, the actual school.

I have also witnessed a different UC fire upper and middle mgmt people for things way less detrimental to the University than what Cal's AD is doing. It's depressing.

If this goes down the bad path, heads should roll.
Thank you.
I could not agree more.
"Just win, baby."
WalterSobchak
IMO he's doing it to avoid *becoming* a CA resident so he doesn't have to deal with the hassle of *breaking* nexus later. I don't think there's any colorable claim that income literally paid by the state itself for a job working at and for a state entity isn't CA source income under any residency or domicile scheme. This isn't a private business where there may be some argument that the business does some work in CA, among other states, but the potential CA taxpayer domiciled outside CA doesn't do any of the business' CA work. As calumnus said when he brought this up, this salary is literally paid with CA taxpayer money. Doesn't get more CA source than that IMO.

Quote:

As a nonresident, you pay tax on your taxable income from California sources.

Sourced income includes, but is not limited to:
Income from a California business, trade or profession

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/personal/residency-status/part-year-and-nonresident.html
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/calegendsdonate/donate-football/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
dimitrig
WalterSobchak said:

IMO he's doing it to avoid *becoming* a CA resident so he doesn't have to deal with the hassle of *breaking* nexus later. I don't think there's any colorable claim that income literally paid by the state itself for a job working at and for a state entity isn't CA source income under any residency or domicile scheme. This isn't a private business where there may be some argument that the business does some work in CA, among other states, but the potential CA taxpayer domiciled outside CA doesn't do any of the business' CA work. As calumnus said when he brought this up, this salary is literally paid with CA taxpayer money. Doesn't get more CA source than that IMO.

Quote:

As a nonresident, you pay tax on your taxable income from California sources.

Sourced income includes, but is not limited to:
Income from a California business, trade or profession

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/personal/residency-status/part-year-and-nonresident.html

Dude doesn't even have Cal on his LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jim-knowlton-752b8a12

WalterSobchak
Maybe he doesn't actually work here and we just need these guys:
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/calegendsdonate/donate-football/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
philly1121
golden sloth said:

philly1121 said:

golden sloth said:

GoCal80 said:

golden sloth said:

GoCal80 said:

Here's a push for a new option, the GAG conference:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/ostler/article/cal-stanford-chasing-top-dollar-sell-saudis-18334302.php

I dont really appreciate that article. The snark entailed within is a contributing factor (albeit not a dominant one) to bay area people looking down on college football, which leads to lesser crowd involvement, which very well may kill Cal athletics.
It is satire and meant to shine a light on the current state of college football, which has devolved to the point where all that matters is money.

I get that its satire, but it also demeans and undermines support for Cal football at a time when Cal football and athletics needs all the help it can get.

And yes, I do believe casuals are going to read this article and support the team less. As for if the article's satire helps push college football towards not being about money, it wont.
Perhaps its more about calling out the fact that Cal can't seem to walk around and maneuver without stepping on our own d*ck. The public sees that and sees us, rightfully, as inept.

The Pac12 conference has blown up. Nuked. And we, along with our Bay Area "partner", are still on the dance floor when the music and lights have been turned off. That says alot about us, wouldn't you say? The article is satire and a hilarious read.

First, i know this is subjective and therefore not worth debating, but I dont consider the article 'hilarious', I felt the writer was trying too hard.

Second, I dont understand why Cal fans incessantly need to talk down on themselves or cheer the press whenever they undermine the program. I dont know how we are supposed to convince the rest of the bay to follow and support the program when we **** all over it at every opportunity.

Yes, school leadership is a problem, yes the program needs to win more, but self-debasing fans that spread nothing but negativity and self-hate are a problem as well. Energy is contagious, good and bad vibes spread. Nobody wants to join a bunch of self-hating, self-loathing people.

I'm bringing non-Cal alum friends to the Auburn game. When I asked them to come, I didnt immediately follow up by saying the admin is inept, the coach is outclassed, the players arent 5 stars, etc. I said, it's a nationally televised game, there is a good pre-game scene at the bars ahead of time, and there is a chance to get a little tipsy and yell and cheer and mingle with people from across the bay and from the southeast.

As part of the fanbase, that wants success, we have to sell the locals on supporting the team, not undermine it.

And yes, I feel my comment wandered off-topic a bit there.
I think satire is appropriate in many instances. This is one of them. I think people can think and articulate what the article was trying to convey. I think people reading that article understand that. I don't think the article was trying to undermine the program. I think what the article did elaborate on in a satirical manner was the predicament we are in, how it happened (money), and an absurd solution (money).

I don't feel I run down the program. I don't know enough about our Administration to say they should be fired. But something has to change. To think that we, as a team and program, have a winning culture or even tradition is not accurate. Nor do I think we are primed for success this season or the next. We are not a sleeping giant.

There is alot of negative energy on this board. Appropriately so. We are in a bad spot right now and the negativity comes from how we got here and confusion as to where we are going. But my negativity and I'm sure others is confined to this board. I support the team and want them to win. But I don't have to sell anything. I don't feel I have to. The product has to sell. It has to be good to sell. Is there anything wrong with calling a poor product...poor?
GoCal80
https://www.si.com/college/georgiatech/football/notre-dame-ad-is-unsure-when-acc-presidents-call-will-be-rescheduled

From the Norte Dame President:

"You can't have two of the great academic institutions in the world not have a place to play. We're working on (a solution). There is still consideration of the ACC as a home for those schools."

"A complete disaster" what's happened in college athletics. "Everybody in the industry has to take responsibility here I'm not excluding myself from that. I think the decision-making lost its way in terms on the focus of the student athlete & what's primarily best for them."
calumnus
GoCal80 said:

https://www.si.com/college/georgiatech/football/notre-dame-ad-is-unsure-when-acc-presidents-call-will-be-rescheduled

"You can't have two of the great academic institutions in the world not have a place to play. We're working on (a solution). There is still consideration of the ACC as a home for those schools."

"A complete disaster" what's happened in college athletics. "Everybody in the industry has to take responsibility here I'm not excluding myself from that. I think the decision-making lost its way in terms on the focus of the student athlete & what's primarily best for them."

Having Notre Dame as an ally in this is huge. I will always remember that stood up for us when others were kicking us.
Bobodeluxe
Old story. Maybe they would to share some of their "filthy lucre"?
TheBearWontDie
calumnus said:

GoCal80 said:

Having Notre Dame as an ally in this is huge. I will always remember that stood up for us when others were kicking us.
They felt remorse for robbing that game from us last year... credit them for standing up for us/LSJU regardless of their motivations. I'll be rooting for them versus FSU I'll tell you that much.
Econ141
TheBearWontDie said:

calumnus said:

GoCal80 said:

They felt remorse for robbing that game from us last year... credit them for standing up for us/LSJU regardless of their motivations. I'll be rooting for them versus FSU I'll tell you that much.

Who's ever think this debacle would make me like both Stanford and Notre Dame more? To be honest - I am voting for Stanford over all other pack 12 teams except Cal obviously. That might change of course after this year.
dimitrig
Econ141 said:

TheBearWontDie said:

calumnus said:

GoCal80 said:

Who's ever think this debacle would make me like both Stanford and Notre Dame more? To be honest - I am voting for Stanford over all other pack 12 teams except Cal obviously. That might change of course after this year.

I am sort of hoping that the former Pac-12 teams win their new conferences. I have always felt that our teams were better than they were given credit for and that the Pac-12 was a really tough league top to bottom. We shall see how true that is.

JimSox
calumnus said:

GoCal80 said:

"Today, Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick said that he is unsure when the ACC presidents' call is going to be rescheduled, but he does expect it to happen at some point. Swarbrick also said that a decision is in the presidents' hands."

He does expect it to happen at some point. That's at least a little encouraging. Never was a Notre Dame fan, but times have changed!
BearSD
bearsandgiants said:

Kickoff for the ACC is tomorrow on ESPN. If they don't vote CalSmuFord in, the story will be about how the conference can't get its **** together instead of a few hours of prime time free press singing the praises of the new league and all of the exciting new storylines. I have to think this gets done tomorrow.
I doubt that's a factor in this. If anything, the fact that at least one ACC team is playing a football game every day for the next five days (Thursday through Monday) means that it might be sometime next week before this saga concludes.
JB was a Chieftain
dimitrig said:

Econ141 said:

TheBearWontDie said:

calumnus said:

GoCal80 said:

I am sort of hoping that the former Pac-12 teams win their new conferences. I have always felt that our teams were better than they were given credit for and that the Pac-12 was a really tough league top to bottom. We shall see how true that is.

Nope

I want the 8 schools that left to be bottom feeders in their new conferences! I want UCLA & USC to be embarrassed on National TV on a weekly basis. I want coach prime to go away forever. Arizona & ASU can go back to partying and celebrating their 2 win teams. Oregon & Washington can watch as Oregon St. & Washington St. make the CFP as G5 members. Utah is meh.
Bowlesman80
"Having Notre Dame as an ally in this is huge. I will always remember that stood up for us when others were kicking us."

Almost has me forgetting the Immaculate Encroachment call.

And, honestly, I am quite sure there is ND's own self interest standing to gain, somehow. Still, it does make one pause with appreciation for those that stand for one when one is down.
"Just win, baby."
sycasey
Bowlesman80 said:

"Having Notre Dame as an ally in this is huge. I will always remember that stood up for us when others were kicking us."

And, honestly, I am quite sure there is ND's own self interest standing to gain, somehow. Still, it does make one pause with appreciation for those that stand for one when one is down.

ND wants to keep the ACC from falling apart, so they can remain independent. The fewer conferences there are, the more likely they'll be forced to join one in football. More schools in the ACC guards against that.
Bowlesman80
sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

ND wants to keep the ACC from falling apart, so they can remain independent. The fewer conferences there are, the more likely they'll be forced to join one in football. More schools in the ACC guards against that.
I suspected there was something self-serving behind ND's charity.
And the Gang of Four wants the ACC to implode, hence the roadblock.
Welp, two of the best universities in the world have been reduced to pawns in a power struggle.
I am most angry at our leadership, which has, by ineptitude, neglect, and/or design, put us in this position.
"Just win, baby."
sycasey
Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

Welp, two of the best universities in the world have been reduced to pawns in a power struggle.
I most angry at our leadership, which has, by ineptitude, neglect, and/or design, put us in this position.
Yes, though the only schools that REALLY want out of the ACC right now are FSU and Clemson. The NC schools probably are swayable (perhaps already have been swayed and we are just playing out the string).
Bowlesman80
sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

I most angry at our leadership, which has, by ineptitude, neglect, and/or design, put us in this position.
Yes, though the only schools that REALLY want out of the ACC right now are FSU and Clemson. The NC schools probably are swayable (perhaps already have been swayed and we are just playing out the string).
In all honesty, I can't see how most of the ACC schools could be satisfied with the status quo with over a decade left on a contract that locks them into yesterday's Dollars. Accounting for higher than normal inflation, the ACC contract is like a fixed income with no COLA.
"Just win, baby."
Econ141

Here we go again. pH level in the Atlantic is slightly above average today so they may have to reschedule.
BearBoarBlarney
Econ141 said:

Here we go again. pH level in the Atlantic is slightly above average today so they may have to reschedule.
Freudian slip of sorts? "except"
sycasey
Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

In all honesty, I can't see how most of the ACC schools could be satisfied with the status quo with over a decade left on a contract that locks them into yesterday's Dollars. Accounting for higher than normal inflation, the ACC contract is like a fixed income with no COLA.
Most of the ACC knows that they could be in trouble if their own conference implodes. FSU and Clemson should be safe enough. UNC and Miami, probably (though not guaranteed). The rest have to be looking over their shoulders. If they add more power schools then they have a decent chance of keeping things together even if two schools leave. That's the thinking here.
bearsandgiants
BearBoarBlarney said:

Econ141 said:

How will they know unless they vote?
oski003
bearsandgiants said:

BearBoarBlarney said:

Econ141 said:

How will they know unless they vote?

They speak with each other
berserkeley
sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

Most of the ACC knows that they could be in trouble if their own conference implodes. FSU and Clemson should be safe enough. UNC and Miami, probably (though not guaranteed). The rest have to be looking over their shoulders. If they add more power schools then they have a decent chance of keeping things together even if two schools leave. That's the thinking here.

Apparently, the ACC's deal with ESPN allows ESPN to reduce the per team payout if the conference drops below 15 members so adding Calford helps protect the current payouts if FSU and Clemson ever decide to buy their way out.
BearSD
Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

I can think of something that's worse than a fixed income with no COLA…
DoubtfulBear
sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

What's the urgency of adding us now? They can still do so after FSU and Clemson leave. It's not like we will have a better option anytime in the future.
DoubtfulBear
berserkeley said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

Apparently, the ACC's deal with ESPN allows ESPN to reduce the per team payout if the conference drops below 15 members so adding Calford helps protect the current payouts if FSU and Clemson ever decide to buy their way out.

The exit fee is so high that the ACC will be in a good spot even if ESPN renegotiated
sycasey
DoubtfulBear said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

What's the urgency of adding us now? They can still do so after FSU and Clemson leave. It's not like we will have a better option anytime in the future.
It's not clear that Cal and Stanford would be available in the future. Another major conference could snap them up in a year. They might build their own conference out of the best remaining from the AAC and MWC and get locked into a different TV deal. Their athletic departments could implode entirely. They are free agents now.
sosheezy
DoubtfulBear said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

They can gamble that. But we're the best of the available former power 5 schools available, right now. All conferences have a GOR, so even if we had to reform the PAC, or join the MWC or AAC, there'd be a potentially prohibitive exit fee. Or unlikely as it looks like now, we could end up in Big 12 or Big 10.
Bowlesman80
BearSD said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

sycasey said:

Bowlesman80 said:

I can think of something that's worse than a fixed income with no COLA…
Our tentative offer is not much better than SMU's.
"Just win, baby."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.