The latest on Conference Realignment and Cal - Saturday the 19th

189,815 Views | 1043 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
Cal_79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ducky23 said:

kal kommie said:

TedfordTheGreat said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

If this were to really happen I could see 8 to 10 ESPN conference games hosted by us and the Furd in the 7pm local time slot. Be ready for just as much or even more night football.
this is not a bad thing as the posters frame it to be. Memorial stadium is absolutely electric for night games. There are plenty times where our team is no good but student show up in force.

Tell them its ESPN televised, and if our team is good? O gosh, skys the limit
One or two night Memorial games can be exciting in a year. Four or five is not welcome, especially those in November or December.

Can we please just all agree to make it a rule that no one here is allowed to complain about night games IF we get into the ACC?

It's either night games or the end of cal football as we know it. Can we all just please be reasonable about this.

I will agree to be reasonable and to continue cheering on the Bears. But living out of the area, if Cal is routinely playing its home games at night I won't agree that we'll continue being season ticket holders.
Econ141
This coach at UNC is not too happy:

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/dorrance-i-want-cal-and-stanford-to-die-on-the-vine/21011056/

berserkeley
bearsandgiants said:

UNC women's soccer coach has chimed in...

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/dorrance-i-want-cal-and-stanford-to-die-on-the-vine/21011056/

Absolutely brutal.

UNC did win 16 of the first 19 NCAA championships in women's soccer, finishing second in 2 of the years they didn't win. Followed by 4 more titles and 4 more runners-up over the last 20 years. Stanford has 3 titles and 2 runners-up in that same time frame. California schools have won 5 titles since UNC's last win so I get why he's afraid to compete.
91Cal
Econ141 said:

One of his main rivals for players and championships is Stanford so, yeah, he's got a horse in the race. Given his place in the US Women's soccer pantheon (he's been in the HoF for 15 years, and, just like Stanford, recruits from around the world to his team, including 3 on the World Cup runners up English national team) he could be the one who objected the hardest and could have even been THE reason that UNC voted no on expansion He is now going public because he knows the tide has shifted and UNC is voting yes.
MTbear22
I really don't think an institution's decision was influenced whatsoever by a soccer coach.
sosheezy
bearsandgiants
MTbear22 said:

I really don't think an institution's decision was influenced whatsoever by a soccer coach.
Agree. It's just great locker room bulletin board material for our soccer teams, if they don't get canceled.
joe amos yaks
The uNC soccer coach is just scared to compete.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Rushinbear
91Cal said:

Econ141 said:

One of his main rivals for players and championships is Stanford so, yeah, he's got a horse in the race. Given his place in the US Women's soccer pantheon (he's been in the HoF for 15 years, and, just like Stanford, recruits from around the world to his team, including 3 on the World Cup runners up English national team) he could be the one who objected the hardest and could have even been THE reason that UNC voted no on expansion He is now going public because he knows the tide has shifted and UNC is voting yes.
If the ACC lets a women's soccer coach have a veto, we would have bigger troubles than travel.
sycasey
sosheezy said:

DOOOOOOOOM.
BearBoarBlarney
I could not give a d@mn what a women's soccer coach thinks, especially one who has been accused of sexual harassment and dealt with an academic scandal on his watch. Yes, he's been incredibly successful, and yes, he's likely also UNC's closest proxy to a Teri McKeever type of coach.

Plus, he is named "Anson Dorrance." I got your anson right here, dorrance-nozzle.
Texan in DC
Sounds like the ACC is out. Time to call the Big12
Cal_79
calumnus said:

JRL.02 said:

Let's assume this happens… would Stanford and cal alternate being home each week to get ESPN a 10:30p game?

I think the answer will be yes on alternating. 4 games at 7:30 is a real possibility, but 3:30 is possible and is actually really great.

One of the advantages of having more West Coast teams in our pod would be spreading the night games around.

Maybe the later in the season we host Florida State or Clemson in LA or San Diego?

Why would season ticket holders want to travel to LA or San Diego for a 'home game'?
MTbear22
Texan in DC said:

Sounds like the ACC is out. Time to call the Big12
The Big XII wouldn't even pick up the phone
sosheezy
sycasey said:

sosheezy said:

DOOOOOOOOM.
BG did say it might slip a day or two. And we are not seeing any reporting at the moment that the ACC non-vote (or non-meeting) for this morning means the issue is settled for this year.
nikeykid

i'd like to tell you this is just a joke but i'm not sure anymore
sycasey
sosheezy said:

sycasey said:

sosheezy said:

DOOOOOOOOM.
BG did say it might slip a day or two. And we are not seeing any reporting at the moment that the ACC non-vote (or non-meeting) for this morning means the issue is settled for this year.

I know, I'm just having some fun. I still think the ACC will happen.
BearBoarBlarney
Heck, the cancellation of today's ACC presidents meeting could just as easily be about working out some remaining small items. I know we're all desperate for Cal athletics to find a home in a major conference, but today's meeting cancellation does not signify Doom nor Resurrection just yet.
ducky23
sycasey said:

sosheezy said:

sycasey said:

sosheezy said:

DOOOOOOOOM.

I still think it'll happen too. But it is a little concerning there hasn't been any leaks yet. It seems like the only two people who know this is happening is BG and….shocky.

Just saying, this should've leaked into the mainstream by now .
sycasey
ducky23 said:

sycasey said:

sosheezy said:

sycasey said:

sosheezy said:

DOOOOOOOOM.

I still think it'll happen too. But it is a little concerning there hasn't been any leaks yet. It seems like the only two people who know this is happening is BG and….shocky.

I mean, the possibility of the ACC taking Stanford and Cal has been mainstream reported for a while, perhaps sometimes with some erroneous details (Stanford taking no money). They are probably just waiting until they hear something definitive.
sosheezy
sycasey said:

ducky23 said:

sycasey said:

sosheezy said:

sycasey said:

sosheezy said:

DOOOOOOOOM.

I mean, the possibility of the ACC taking Stanford and Cal has been mainstream reported for a while, perhaps sometimes with some erroneous details (Stanford taking no money). They are probably just waiting until they hear something definitive.
The Big 12 related aspects of expansion/realignment were leaky as hell, and probably by design and powered by Endeavor to create instability. The Big Ten was close to the vest in terms of national media leaks before poaching USC/UCLA, and even with the ultimate flip of UW and Oregon, the reporting was in the moment, and not really in advance. The PAC didn't leak anything really even to the school presidents, Canzano was going on morsels he got from WSU and OSU that didn't have basis in fact other than whatever Kliavkoff was fibbing/stalling about, and the ACC is so late the realignment game, any reporting had previously been on breaking the GOR. We may not hear much until the vote is called (or never called and they issue a press release saying we're not expanding at this time)
ethan0l
Also, this does feel like one of those circumstances where the sources who might be leaking are actually interested in keeping it mum so as not to upset the apple cart. Remember, in this situation it's not just the journalists who are covering but their sources who may be pursuing their own agenda right now.
JimSox
Well it ain't a GOOD sign. Not happy.
Bearspot
Deals take time. No deals take no time.
bearsandgiants
Bearspot said:

The Pac12 no-deal took years.
Bearspot
bearsandgiants said:

Bearspot said:

The Pac12 no-deal took years.
Well, that's what happened when the presidents and Kliavkoff met Parkinson's Law.
HateRed
I don't see any of the news feeds reporting anything on any meeting that was scheduled today then canceled. Perhaps we're being punked????
sycasey
HateRed said:

I don't see any of the news feeds reporting anything on any meeting that was scheduled today then canceled. Perhaps we're being punked????

Nicole Auerbach reported it today. She is trustworthy.
Pittstop
All well and good, but who really cares? I mean, 'really'? Because it is football and basketball that drives the train of ALL athletic departments.
sosheezy
sycasey said:

HateRed said:

Apparently this was a standing meeting that got canceled, not a special vote meeting, fwiw.
sycasey
sosheezy said:

sycasey said:

HateRed said:

Apparently this was a standing meeting that got canceled, not a special vote meeting, fwiw.

Right, though the expectation was that they would discuss expansion. Still, not a big deal.
CALiforniALUM
They cancelled a non-vote standing meeting so they could reschedule it for a voting meeting.
SoFlaBear
Keep in mind that they have other issues to consider. Florida State is still making noise about a departure.
JimSox
CALiforniALUM said:

They cancelled a non-vote standing meeting so they could reschedule it for a voting meeting.

Speculation? Information? Source? Or just facetious nonsense?
sycasey
SoFlaBear said:

Keep in mind that they have other issues to consider. Florida State is still making noise about a departure.

I think it will be a year at least before anyone can leave the conference.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.